The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #576
GreenLanternFan5289
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Emerald Knights was beyond epic and easily the best DC animated movie to date. My favorite was the Abin Sur story then Kilowog's training. It's so awesome that a two different points in the movie my mom and dad each sat and watched it for a little bit and they haven't done that with an animated movie since I was little. My only complaint was the end against Krona could have been a wee bit better imo. Simply a great movie overall and definitely worth the buy. A bit off topic but Batman: Year One looks like it's going to be insanely sweet btw.
With liberty and justice for all! - Duck Dodgers
GreenLanternFan5289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #577
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Hello my fellow GL fans. At my local Target, I brought the Green Lantern:Emerald Knights DVD and two Green Lantern Movie action figures (Sinestro & Kilowog) with power rings included in both. This marks the beginning of my GL movie merch. collection. This month's going to be good to be a GL fan, but it's going to be bad for my wallet. I won't get ROTM video game until I get a Playstation 3. I haven't seen GL:EK yet, but I'll try to when I have the time. The positive comments here makes it's hard for me to resist, though.
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #578
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanternFan5289 View Post
Emerald Knights was beyond epic and easily the best DC animated movie to date. My favorite was the Abin Sur story then Kilowog's training. It's so awesome that a two different points in the movie my mom and dad each sat and watched it for a little bit and they haven't done that with an animated movie since I was little. My only complaint was the end against Krona could have been a wee bit better imo. Simply a great movie overall and definitely worth the buy. A bit off topic but Batman: Year One looks like it's going to be insanely sweet btw.
agreed on the krona argument

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #579
Echo7Solo
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

the extra stuff will piss you off.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #580
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7Solo View Post
the extra stuff will piss you off.
Special features these days piss me off all the time.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #581
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern54 View Post
Man the Sinestro figure is tiny. It didn't have any articulation that I could see. I passed on it . . .
Well, technically you can turn his head side to side and the arms move (but don't bend) up and down, but it is essentially a mini-statue. I still think it looks cool and I found a free spot on the bookcase for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
Hello my fellow GL fans. At my local Target, I brought the Green Lantern:Emerald Knights DVD and two Green Lantern Movie action figures (Sinestro & Kilowog) with power rings included in both. This marks the beginning of my GL movie merch. collection. This month's going to be good to be a GL fan, but it's going to be bad for my wallet. I won't get ROTM video game until I get a Playstation 3. I haven't seen GL:EK yet, but I'll try to when I have the time. The positive comments here makes it's hard for me to resist, though.

Welcome to our world! Years ago, when GL was second or third tier it was very easy to keep up with all of the merch. Nowadays, however, I can't. I'll be very picky when it comes to the movie stuff.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #582
Medphyll
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Just saw it. Overall, I give it 3.5 out of 5 "stars".

I am curious as to why, in a story about Krona, one of the "tales" wasn't his origin?? Also, disappointed in Ysmault, very tame & not up to Alan Moore's insane original.

I would also have liked to see the origin of the Manhunters & Ch'p's backstory, which is really great. Lastly:

Open Memo To Bruce Timm,

1. Power Rings are Not laser-guns.
2. There's more to science fiction than spaceships + laser bolt fights. Please see: Frank Herbert, Harlan Ellison, Octavia Butler, Kurt Vonnegut, Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimove etc. Also, many issues of Green Lantern!

Thank you for your time.
Medphyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #583
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

I get the increasing feeling that Bruce Timm just fails to "get" Green Lantern on a fundamental level.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #584
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingJohn View Post
I get the increasing feeling that Bruce Timm just fails to "get" Green Lantern on a fundamental level.
agreed but why do they keep letting him near the product
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #585
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by havik View Post
agreed but why do they keep letting him near the product
Because he's Bruce Timm... and much like Nolan, he can "do no wrong" in their eyes :\
Old 06-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #586
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
He gets it just fine. GL is, at its core, about a guy with a magic ring. There's been so many constant retcons and alterations over the years, the basic concept is all that matters, and that's certainly been present in Timm's work.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #587
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Why is everyone on Bruce Timm? This movie in no way was written, drawn, directed, or edited by Timm. He was the exec producer, that is all.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #588
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Why is everyone on Bruce Timm? This movie in no way was written, drawn, directed, or edited by Timm. He was the exec producer, that is all.
It's the Geoffcon effect. If you dont know who to blame, blame the most popular name
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #589
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
He gets it just fine. GL is, at its core, about a guy with a magic ring. There's been so many constant retcons and alterations over the years, the basic concept is all that matters, and that's certainly been present in Timm's work.
They forgot the power batteries in First Flight... :\ Kind of an important part to leave out.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #590
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
It's the Geoffcon effect. If you dont know who to blame, blame the most popular name
No...when Geoff deserves blame he gets it. Otherwise, its usually pointed at DiDio...who is my new idol btw.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #591
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

When he deserved it??? Now dont get me wrong im not defending him completely but this board alone is proof of extreme blame Geoff for everything they dont like.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #592
IonFan
Forum Member

oh my god i f@cking loved it, space battles, planet battles, Lantern after Lantern action what more can you ask for people

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #593
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
They forgot the power batteries in First Flight... :\ Kind of an important part to leave out.
Not really, especially as it related to the story they created.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #594
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Not really, especially as it related to the story they created.
Yeah, and who needs a ring... I mean really, a superhero powered by jewelry? lame...

It's a slippery slope when you start ignoring essential elements of the character, even props.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #595
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Yeah, and who needs a ring... I mean really, a superhero powered by jewelry? lame...
I don't see the relevance.
Quote:
It's a slippery slope when you start ignoring essential elements of the character, even props.
It's not as essential as you think. The ring is the important part; it's what creates the construct and gives the character his power. The battery is just that: a battery. It's not something the character carries into battle, etc. As far as First Flight was concerned, the personal batteries didn't need to be shown as they were not relevant to the story. (That doesn't mean they don't exist, especially since some of the First Flight packaging clearly showed Hal carrying a battery.)

To use another analogy: the Flash is a speedster. Do we need to mention the Speed Force all of the time? Of course not. The end result is what's important, not the "prop."
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #596
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
I don't see the relevance.

It's not as essential as you think. The ring is the important part; it's what creates the construct and gives the character his power. The battery is just that: a battery. It's not something the character carries into battle, etc. As far as First Flight was concerned, the personal batteries didn't need to be shown as they were not relevant to the story. (That doesn't mean they don't exist, especially since some of the First Flight packaging clearly showed Hal carrying a battery.)

To use another analogy: the Flash is a speedster. Do we need to mention the Speed Force all of the time? Of course not. The end result is what's important, not the "prop."
but it is the Green Lantern.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #597
Logain
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
lol doubt anyone at the end of the movie was saying "but wheres the LANTERN?!? this movie sucks"
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #598
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logain View Post
lol doubt anyone at the end of the movie was saying "but wheres the LANTERN?!? this movie sucks"
Fair enough, that could be the case.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #599
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
And a giant green lantern certainly appeared in First Flight. Where do you think the symbol came from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logain View Post
Jackpot!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #600
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just watched it a few minutes ago. I won't argue about the flaws mentioned above. I also don't like it when they deviate from the comics.

That said, this was one of the best animated films I've seen. Certainly MUCH better than First Flight. I really enjoyed all the interlocking stories, as well as the framing sequences.