Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't we be getting a new Archives soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just glad DC hasn't abandoned the archive line completely. I got my Doom Patrol and All-Star Comics runs completed, now I'd like to see Green Lantern and Flash continue on for a bit. Metal Men would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      My guess is that the Omnibuses sold well enough that they want to do a third, but they figure they can make more money if the sell those comics in Archive format FIRST, then just take all the work they did for those and use it to output the next Omnibus without having to spend any additional money restoring all the issue art.

I'm hoping this IS the case, because if SO it probably means we will get two more Archives after this one without TOO long of a wait.

In general they seem to have abandoned the Archive line, if you look at how FEW Archives have come out in the past few years compared to earlier in the line.
      The omnibuses didn't come out until many years after the last archive had come out. It's probably a completely different reason.
      Mister.Weirdo
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 02-03-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
        The omnibuses didn't come out until many years after the last archive had come out. It probably a completely different reason.
        To my mind that makes my theory MORE plausible, not less. They do no GL Archives for YEARS, but now, coincidentally, when the Omnibuses catch up to the material they already prepared for past Archives, we suddenly get a new Archive? If they make another Omnibus without making more Archives first, they have the costs of processing all that color comics art rolled into the cost of that ONE Omnibus. If they crank out a few Archives first, that cost is spread over three books (which they charge MORE for per issue included than the Omnibuses), and then isn't a factor at ALL when they put out Omnibus 3 for $75 or whatever.

I could very well be wrong about that reasoning, but the large gap after the last Archives, and the short gap after the Omnibuses caught up to the material in the Archives seem suggestive to me.

Comment

Maybe, or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
            Maybe, or maybe it's just a coincidence.
            Certainly very possible. But since I don't go in for the BIG conspiracy-theory type stuff (faked moon landings, 9-11 done by the gov't, etc.) these are the sort of sad little connections I'm left with drawing.

Comment

Whatever floats your boat.

Comment

No WAY is this a coincidence. DC solicits more archives just as their omnibus counterparts are set to overtake them in umber of issues covered? I think Ed is right. The work is now done in reproducing them. At least now they have a chance to sell some units to customers who were already committed to the archive line. THEN they'll continue with the omnibus line so they don't outright kill one entire line.

The only thing against this idea is that the Flash archives are now continuing, and no omnibus line has been started for the silver age series. Just the chronicle line which is WAY behind.

Reminds me how nice it would be if DC would buckle down and commit to finishing a run in one format before beginning the next. Green Lantern currently has all of these formats for the silver age, volume 2 series:

Archives
                Omnibuses
                Chronicles
                Showcase Presents (B+W)

Not to mention two different lines in softcover to collect the tail end of volume 2!

Comment

Aren't the Flash Omnibus 1 and 2 the silver age Flashs? Or do they cover the time after the silver age?
                  Whitey
                  Corpse Trainee
                  Last edited by Whitey; 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Actually the Flash Omnibus' don't cover any archives at all. They are Hardcover collections of Geoff Johns Run on the Flash starring the now-abandoned Wally West as The Flash.
                    Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

I brought the batman chronicles vloume 4 about a year ago now, and i've only read the first 2 issues worth so-far.
                      Originally posted by IonFan
                      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                      Originally posted by Quaker
                      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

TA-DAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

ok that was good! So when do we get Volume 8?
                        Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

So are the Archives like... dead dead?

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are. I remember one coming out a few years ago and being shocked to see it but now I can't recall what it was specifically. DC apparently has moved on, which is fine with me. I like the omnibus format much better. I hope one day golden age comics come back into fashion and All-Star Comics 1-57 gets published again as omnibi. I'm glad DC finished them in archives and they look great, but I could be sucked into a double dip with an upgrade like that.

Comment

I still have a gap in my GL collection between the last Archive and the beginning of GL/GA. Probably never be filled at this point. I can't afford the issues, the Archives are never going to happen, any new affordable reprint format will start over and never get to that point, and I can't bring myself to pay the pricetag on the Omnibus that covers those issues, given how much overlap it has with what I've already got.

Comment

Working...
                              X