FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Question about Lo3W (Sodam Yat)

This just occurred to me.

When Kyle had the Ion power, he was able to completely resurrect the Guardians and even play god with their genders while he was at it. During the Ion maxi, the Guardians told him that by holding the Ion power he would be able to resurrect them all should events similar to Emerald Twilight unfold again. Later, in the Ion special, the Guardians told him he was only fit to be a temporary host for Ion, that it was Jade's afterenergies that enabled him to temporarily hold it when she died.

Still with me? Okay...

Sodam Yat was a host hand-picked by the Guardians to hold the Ion power. What's stopping him from resurrecting the Guardians as Kyle did?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

His lead poisoning? I think he is using most of the Ion Energy to... not die.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

We were told the ring he wears (its AI, specifically) is supposed to watch that, not the symbiote.

Which brings up another point. Didn't his fellow Daxamite Valor find a way in the 31st century to reverse his own lead poisoning?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
GLJIMT

perhaps the end of the Lo3W series will show a resurrection of the Smurfs?

Last edited by GLJIMT; 11-10-2008 at 03:38 AM.
GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Hmmm...

But if he uses just the ring to fight the lead poisoning, what happens when his ring charge wears off?

And I gave up trying to figure out the current status of Mon-El's lead poisoning. So... Clark Kent met Mon-El when they were kids. Mon-El has contact with lead, gets put into the phantom zone. Then, Clark has adventures with the Legion of Superheroes in the 31st century. And Mon-El is one of them, finally cured from the poisoning thanks to Brainiac 5's serum.
Clark travels back to the present... and still tries to find a cure for Mon-El? Huh?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
But if he uses just the ring to fight the lead poisoning, what happens when his ring charge wears off?
Strictly speculation, but you know how the Alpha-Lanterns don't need to recharge their rings because they have batteries surgically implanted into their chests? I'd assume having the Ion symbiote in him is exactly the same.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith

Well, my theory is that the Guardians will be gone by the end of the Blackest Night and the Lanterns will continue to exist by lighting their rings with their own willpower. So maybe that's why Sodam doesn't bring them back, because they became useless
Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Strictly speculation, but you know how the Alpha-Lanterns don't need to recharge their rings because they have batteries surgically implanted into their chests? I'd assume having the Ion symbiote in him is exactly the same.
Okay, but wouldn't that weaken the symbiote? How is that different from using the symbiote directly?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:

When Kyle had the Ion power, he was able to completely resurrect the Guardians and even play god with their genders while he was at it. During the Ion maxi, the Guardians told him that by holding the Ion power he would be able to resurrect them all should events similar to Emerald Twilight unfold again. Later, in the Ion special, the Guardians told him he was only fit to be a temporary host for Ion, that it was Jade's afterenergies that enabled him to temporarily hold it when she died.

Still with me? Okay...

Sodam Yat was a host hand-picked by the Guardians to hold the Ion power. What's stopping him from resurrecting the Guardians as Kyle did?
well, to play the game dense I'll just say that we dont know if Yat is still in possession of Ion, so its a hard call.

BUT, if Im to play the game *intelligently* I'll just point out that its not the same being capability/power-wise, and therefore the point is moot (and thats w/o pointing out the continuity gaffe too.......)

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Saint Walker

ummm... maybe it was the power of the starheart that revived the guardians, combined with ion. maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Walker View Post
maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers

Last edited by Michael Heide; 11-10-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Walker View Post
ummm... maybe it was the power of the starheart that revived the guardians, combined with ion. maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers
unlikely, as the SH-nrg wasnt a part of the mix that Kyle absorbed the 1st time he became Ion.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, but wouldn't that weaken the symbiote? How is that different from using the symbiote directly?
But you're talking about it in the context of his lead poisoning fix putting a damper on Ion's full power, right?

Think of it this way: a battery -- what the Alpha-Lanterns have implanted in their chests -- is just a conduit to the Central Power Battery, which, in turn, draws upon and gathers Willpower throughout the universe/existance, right?

The Ion symbiote is the embodiment of all of that Willpower. All of it. The living essence of everything Willpower. And Sodam has it in his chest. Supplying a tiny, constant feed of energy to keep his ring charged to keep his lead poisoning in check has just got to account for something like .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (times ten) of its ongoing reserves.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Times ten would move the comma one digit to the ri...

Oh, I see.

Hmm... Geoffcon?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I actually consider the first and second Ions' as two different beings alltogether. The first time Kyle was Ion he was a cosmic god capable of absolutely anything he wanted. Could go anywhere, do anything, see anything play around with time and space like they were legos.

The second Ion has so far only come off as being able to use the green energy without need of a power ring. Kyle never really did anything that amazing when he was Ion the second time around, plus he lost a fight to Sinestro. And Sodam is pretty much the same way. All the power of a GL, without a ring. I almost see no real power difference between Ion and an alpha lantern.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Brainiac has a cure for lead poisoning. So Yat is good as long as he gets to brainy and brainy gives it to him. As far as the whole bring back the guardians thing. Perhaps it was decided that because of how badly they screwed up in BN (how ever that will be) that a council of GL's would be better than guardians.

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Derek Braveheart
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:

Still with me? Okay...

That just occured to you, eh? And here I thought it was because I mentioned it last night, but I see you were already 2 steps ahead of me!

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for?
Derek Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Limelantern

Are we certain it was Blackest Night that removed the Guardians and everything Green Lantern from the universe before the 30th century?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Are we certain it was Blackest Night that removed the Guardians and everything Green Lantern from the universe before the 30th century?
I don't think BN will end with everything Green Lantern, just with the Guardians
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #20
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Nope, because it was said that the Corps was at a certain point, (29th century or something) banned from Earth.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
xionice
The Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Brainiac has a cure for lead poisoning. So Yat is good as long as he gets to brainy and brainy gives it to him. As far as the whole bring back the guardians thing. Perhaps it was decided that because of how badly they screwed up in BN (how ever that will be) that a council of GL's would be better than guardians.
If we follow that thinking, I'd assume he no longer has the lead poisoning. And judging from his mannerisms, posture and general attitude [conveyed wonderfully by Perez] that he has *NO* willpower left. Whether it being the guardians dead, Mogo dead, he has none, and it will take Superman and the Legion to bring him back from the brink of despair so that he *can* rebuild the Corps at the end. I would also postulate that I doubt the Guardians will be removed post-BN just because of the lasting effects that would have, and the fact that a GL film is going to have them, and we know how they like to tie things to the *popular* films:

Examples:
Joe Chill now killed Batman's parents, which they hadn't been since Zero Hour.
Pa Kent is now dead.
The Fortress is the film Fortress of Solitude
The Joker is now a psycho like in the film (more psychoish)
Bruce Wayne will not die in a movie year
Wonder Woman spins like in the tv show

If they are removed, I would postulate they'd return soon.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #22
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Wasn't there something said or implied that Sodam lacks the will to want to do anything besides sit around and mope. Perhaps after the events of Lo3W, all that will change? Prompting a resurrection of the Guardians and/or a second Rebirth of the Corps.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #23
Limelantern

It might have been a mistake to write off everything GL related in the 30th century. Either they have to be killed off sometime between now and then, or the Legion history needs to be retconned in some way just for continuity to line up.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #24
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Hmmm...

And I gave up trying to figure out the current status of Mon-El's lead poisoning. So... Clark Kent met Mon-El when they were kids. Mon-El has contact with lead, gets put into the phantom zone. Then, Clark has adventures with the Legion of Superheroes in the 31st century. And Mon-El is one of them, finally cured from the poisoning thanks to Brainiac 5's serum.
Clark travels back to the present... and still tries to find a cure for Mon-El? Huh?
Totally off topic, but following the logic you threw out there...when did Kandor leave the fortress and show up on Brainiac's ship, as the last I thought Superman had it again?!? I cant remember when this fell through the hole, but if someone knows, please let me know.

And I hear you on the Mon-El thing; makes my brains hurt.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #25
xionice
The Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
Totally off topic, but following the logic you threw out there...when did Kandor leave the fortress and show up on Brainiac's ship, as the last I thought Superman had it again?!? I cant remember when this fell through the hole, but if someone knows, please let me know.

And I hear you on the Mon-El thing; makes my brains hurt.
Geoffcon. Everything pre-Johns doesn't matter. Get with it man! j/k. I hate that it retcons the sweet Michael Turner "Godfall" arc, which ROCKED.