The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,378
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Question about Lo3W (Sodam Yat)

This just occurred to me.

When Kyle had the Ion power, he was able to completely resurrect the Guardians and even play god with their genders while he was at it. During the Ion maxi, the Guardians told him that by holding the Ion power he would be able to resurrect them all should events similar to Emerald Twilight unfold again. Later, in the Ion special, the Guardians told him he was only fit to be a temporary host for Ion, that it was Jade's afterenergies that enabled him to temporarily hold it when she died.

Still with me? Okay...

Sodam Yat was a host hand-picked by the Guardians to hold the Ion power. What's stopping him from resurrecting the Guardians as Kyle did?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,243
Default

His lead poisoning? I think he is using most of the Ion Energy to... not die.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,378
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

We were told the ring he wears (its AI, specifically) is supposed to watch that, not the symbiote.

Which brings up another point. Didn't his fellow Daxamite Valor find a way in the 31st century to reverse his own lead poisoning?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
GLJIMT
Moderator
 
GLJIMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 7,204
Blog Entries: 27
Default

perhaps the end of the Lo3W series will show a resurrection of the Smurfs?
__________________
My Ketogenic Journey

Last edited by GLJIMT; 11-10-2008 at 03:38 AM.
GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,243
Default

Hmmm...

But if he uses just the ring to fight the lead poisoning, what happens when his ring charge wears off?

And I gave up trying to figure out the current status of Mon-El's lead poisoning. So... Clark Kent met Mon-El when they were kids. Mon-El has contact with lead, gets put into the phantom zone. Then, Clark has adventures with the Legion of Superheroes in the 31st century. And Mon-El is one of them, finally cured from the poisoning thanks to Brainiac 5's serum.
Clark travels back to the present... and still tries to find a cure for Mon-El? Huh?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,378
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
But if he uses just the ring to fight the lead poisoning, what happens when his ring charge wears off?
Strictly speculation, but you know how the Alpha-Lanterns don't need to recharge their rings because they have batteries surgically implanted into their chests? I'd assume having the Ion symbiote in him is exactly the same.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 173
Default

Well, my theory is that the Guardians will be gone by the end of the Blackest Night and the Lanterns will continue to exist by lighting their rings with their own willpower. So maybe that's why Sodam doesn't bring them back, because they became useless
__________________
IndigoSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Strictly speculation, but you know how the Alpha-Lanterns don't need to recharge their rings because they have batteries surgically implanted into their chests? I'd assume having the Ion symbiote in him is exactly the same.
Okay, but wouldn't that weaken the symbiote? How is that different from using the symbiote directly?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,318
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This just occurred to me.

When Kyle had the Ion power, he was able to completely resurrect the Guardians and even play god with their genders while he was at it. During the Ion maxi, the Guardians told him that by holding the Ion power he would be able to resurrect them all should events similar to Emerald Twilight unfold again. Later, in the Ion special, the Guardians told him he was only fit to be a temporary host for Ion, that it was Jade's afterenergies that enabled him to temporarily hold it when she died.

Still with me? Okay...

Sodam Yat was a host hand-picked by the Guardians to hold the Ion power. What's stopping him from resurrecting the Guardians as Kyle did?
well, to play the game dense I'll just say that we dont know if Yat is still in possession of Ion, so its a hard call.

BUT, if Im to play the game *intelligently* I'll just point out that its not the same being capability/power-wise, and therefore the point is moot (and thats w/o pointing out the continuity gaffe too.......)







Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Saint Walker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ummm... maybe it was the power of the starheart that revived the guardians, combined with ion. maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #11
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Walker View Post
maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers

Last edited by Michael Heide; 11-10-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 25,318
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Walker View Post
ummm... maybe it was the power of the starheart that revived the guardians, combined with ion. maybe without the starheart Sodam can't revive the blue bombers
unlikely, as the SH-nrg wasnt a part of the mix that Kyle absorbed the 1st time he became Ion.




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 14,378
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Strictly speculation, but you know how the Alpha-Lanterns don't need to recharge their rings because they have batteries surgically implanted into their chests? I'd assume having the Ion symbiote in him is exactly the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Okay, but wouldn't that weaken the symbiote? How is that different from using the symbiote directly?
But you're talking about it in the context of his lead poisoning fix putting a damper on Ion's full power, right?

Think of it this way: a battery -- what the Alpha-Lanterns have implanted in their chests -- is just a conduit to the Central Power Battery, which, in turn, draws upon and gathers Willpower throughout the universe/existance, right?

The Ion symbiote is the embodiment of all of that Willpower. All of it. The living essence of everything Willpower. And Sodam has it in his chest. Supplying a tiny, constant feed of energy to keep his ring charged to keep his lead poisoning in check has just got to account for something like .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (times ten) of its ongoing reserves.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 12,243
Default

Times ten would move the comma one digit to the ri...

Oh, I see.

Hmm... Geoffcon?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

I actually consider the first and second Ions' as two different beings alltogether. The first time Kyle was Ion he was a cosmic god capable of absolutely anything he wanted. Could go anywhere, do anything, see anything play around with time and space like they were legos.

The second Ion has so far only come off as being able to use the green energy without need of a power ring. Kyle never really did anything that amazing when he was Ion the second time around, plus he lost a fight to Sinestro. And Sodam is pretty much the same way. All the power of a GL, without a ring. I almost see no real power difference between Ion and an alpha lantern.
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu
 
Darth_Andrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tied Upside Down In A Rubber Room
Posts: 4,743
Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default

Brainiac has a cure for lead poisoning. So Yat is good as long as he gets to brainy and brainy gives it to him. As far as the whole bring back the guardians thing. Perhaps it was decided that because of how badly they screwed up in BN (how ever that will be) that a council of GL's would be better than guardians.




Darth_Andrea
__________________
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Derek Braveheart
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This just occurred to me.

When Kyle had the Ion power, he was able to completely resurrect the Guardians and even play god with their genders while he was at it. During the Ion maxi, the Guardians told him that by holding the Ion power he would be able to resurrect them all should events similar to Emerald Twilight unfold again. Later, in the Ion special, the Guardians told him he was only fit to be a temporary host for Ion, that it was Jade's afterenergies that enabled him to temporarily hold it when she died.

Still with me? Okay...

Sodam Yat was a host hand-picked by the Guardians to hold the Ion power. What's stopping him from resurrecting the Guardians as Kyle did?
That just occured to you, eh? And here I thought it was because I mentioned it last night, but I see you were already 2 steps ahead of me!
__________________


Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for?
Derek Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

Are we certain it was Blackest Night that removed the Guardians and everything Green Lantern from the universe before the 30th century?
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Are we certain it was Blackest Night that removed the Guardians and everything Green Lantern from the universe before the 30th century?
I don't think BN will end with everything Green Lantern, just with the Guardians
__________________
IndigoSentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #20
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard
 
Orion Pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Are we certain it was Blackest Night that removed the Guardians and everything Green Lantern from the universe before the 30th century?
Nope, because it was said that the Corps was at a certain point, (29th century or something) banned from Earth.
__________________
Orion Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
xionice
The Artist
 
xionice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The North Star
Posts: 2,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Brainiac has a cure for lead poisoning. So Yat is good as long as he gets to brainy and brainy gives it to him. As far as the whole bring back the guardians thing. Perhaps it was decided that because of how badly they screwed up in BN (how ever that will be) that a council of GL's would be better than guardians.
If we follow that thinking, I'd assume he no longer has the lead poisoning. And judging from his mannerisms, posture and general attitude [conveyed wonderfully by Perez] that he has *NO* willpower left. Whether it being the guardians dead, Mogo dead, he has none, and it will take Superman and the Legion to bring him back from the brink of despair so that he *can* rebuild the Corps at the end. I would also postulate that I doubt the Guardians will be removed post-BN just because of the lasting effects that would have, and the fact that a GL film is going to have them, and we know how they like to tie things to the *popular* films:

Examples:
Joe Chill now killed Batman's parents, which they hadn't been since Zero Hour.
Pa Kent is now dead.
The Fortress is the film Fortress of Solitude
The Joker is now a psycho like in the film (more psychoish)
Bruce Wayne will not die in a movie year
Wonder Woman spins like in the tv show

If they are removed, I would postulate they'd return soon.
__________________
xionice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #22
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer
 
Jack-O-Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,874
Default

Wasn't there something said or implied that Sodam lacks the will to want to do anything besides sit around and mope. Perhaps after the events of Lo3W, all that will change? Prompting a resurrection of the Guardians and/or a second Rebirth of the Corps.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #23
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined
 
Limelantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hazard County, YeeeeeHaaaaaaaWWWWWW!!!!!!
Posts: 4,081
Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern
Default

It might have been a mistake to write off everything GL related in the 30th century. Either they have to be killed off sometime between now and then, or the Legion history needs to be retconned in some way just for continuity to line up.
__________________
Limelantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 AM   #24
GLC2814.4
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Hmmm...

But if he uses just the ring to fight the lead poisoning, what happens when his ring charge wears off?

And I gave up trying to figure out the current status of Mon-El's lead poisoning. So... Clark Kent met Mon-El when they were kids. Mon-El has contact with lead, gets put into the phantom zone. Then, Clark has adventures with the Legion of Superheroes in the 31st century. And Mon-El is one of them, finally cured from the poisoning thanks to Brainiac 5's serum.
Clark travels back to the present... and still tries to find a cure for Mon-El? Huh?
Totally off topic, but following the logic you threw out there...when did Kandor leave the fortress and show up on Brainiac's ship, as the last I thought Superman had it again?!? I cant remember when this fell through the hole, but if someone knows, please let me know.

And I hear you on the Mon-El thing; makes my brains hurt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #25
xionice
The Artist
 
xionice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The North Star
Posts: 2,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
Totally off topic, but following the logic you threw out there...when did Kandor leave the fortress and show up on Brainiac's ship, as the last I thought Superman had it again?!? I cant remember when this fell through the hole, but if someone knows, please let me know.

And I hear you on the Mon-El thing; makes my brains hurt.
Geoffcon. Everything pre-Johns doesn't matter. Get with it man! j/k. I hate that it retcons the sweet Michael Turner "Godfall" arc, which ROCKED.
__________________
xionice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.