Photobucket now charging to host photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket now charging to host photos

As many of you know, Photobucket has turned into a pay site. Most of the images that users previously uploaded have turned into this without warning:

Last revised June 28, 2017

Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
    If you have a website, content thread or blogs with multiple images hosted by Photobucket, say goodbye to all of your photos... unless you elect to pay $40 a month (or $400 per year) for their service.

A couple of years ago, Imageshack pulled this same stunt without warning, so I stopped using their site. Looks like I'm done with Photobucket now, too. Fortunately, I have a Flickr account, but I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before they decide to charge as well.

Dave, please fix the spelling in the title. Thanks in advance!

I have some stuff there, but nothing worth going back for with money in hand to protect. Mostly pics of my collection from several years ago.

Comment

I was horrified to see this too, however you don't have to pay to access the files you've already saved. They're still there, you just can't post the pics themselves elsewhere beyond the new limit.

I only save my artwork on photobucket. In the ten years I've had an account I've only used a small percentage of the storage and have just under 2000 images. A good many of them haven't even been posted online.

To get to the point... just make another new account. It's what I did and seems to be doing what it used to for me. If I only posted 75% of my work online, that'd mean the hotlinking limit would be between 1000-1500.

I'm not gonna go back and resave all of my stuff, however I'm not gonna make a ton of avatars for people anymore either. Most of the stuff that has to do with my fanfics and RPs I'll likely resave, but other than that anybody who liked my micros will have to find them on the DC and Marvel microhero wikias. Might even see if Dave will delete a couple concept specific threads in Fan Works since the images won't be in them anymore...

~//V\\~

Comment

Saw this myself a few days back. The company had sent out an E-mail but it appears many users didn't see it because it was easily put into the Spam category.

Very ugly turn of fate, so to hell with Photobucket. I'll resave anything I find particularly worthwhile, since even uploading to PB has become borderline impossible for me (fucking save button doesn't work when uploading, so I'm basically just running in circles even with all scripts allowed). Fuck it, fuck them.
        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Depending how you upload, the site's horrible for logging you out. And the ads are getting ridiculous. Making a new account and watching what I post on other sites is all I can do.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
            As many of you know, Photobucket has turned into a pay site. Most of the images that users previously uploaded have turned into this without warning:

If you have a website, content thread or blogs with multiple images hosted by Photobucket, say goodbye to all of your photos... unless you elect to pay $40 a month (or $400 per year) for their service.

A couple of years ago, Imageshack pulled this same stunt without warning, so I stopped using their site. Looks like I'm done with Photobucket now, too. Fortunately, I have a Flickr account, but I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before they decide to charge as well.

Dave, please fix the spelling in the title. Thanks in advance!
            I hope sites like Flickr and Imgur learn from Photobucket's mistake. This move has been met with universal outrage online. Had Photobucket charged a nominal yearly fee, many users might have been willing to part with a few dollars to keep hosted pics in place. Instead, members aren't just jumping ship, they're giving the company a well-earned beating to its reputation.
            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I saw this coming with Photobucket, which is when I opened a Flickr account.

Photobucket was good while it lasted. I really can't complain as it was free to begin with and I have most of the photos I uploaded onto Photobucket saved on a hard drive.
              You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

I just went and pulled all my stuff off of pb. I had some funny shit on there from the convos here and some other forums.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

well it's happened to me, now it's a problem

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Just curious....is there a "upload all my pics" button I can use the next time I log in? Or are my photos currently being held hostage?

Comment

I don't use it and never have. It's their right to do that, of course, but $40 a month is a serious ripoff. You can buy webspace and a domain and host your images yourself for less, and also get a lot more out of the deal. That's what I do and I can tell you I'm not paying $40 a month.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                        Just curious....is there a "upload all my pics" button I can use the next time I log in? Or are my photos currently being held hostage?
                        Pretty sure you can download all your stuff to your computer, just blocked from third-party hosting of your uploads.

Comment

I'm sure many of you have noticed that your Photobucket images may have been reinstated. Due to numerous complaints, the Company recently backed down and changed their policy, thus restoring photos of their users.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/1...hosting-plans/

Personally, the damage had already been done and I found another hosting site that won't have multiple annoying pop-ups and videos that auto play with the volume at full-blast. While it was within the Company's right to charge for hosting services, they lost most of their customers by pulling that stunt, and very few, if any, have gone back.

Comment

I never upload anything new there anymore. Just became too much of a hassle to use.

Comment

Never touching that site again. Haven't since they royally fucked people over. That company can go fuck itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X