Any other Star Trek fans on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
    It's an alternate universe. That's made quite clear in the film.
    I'm quite cool with that, if that's what Paramount is saying. I went with 3 Trekkies, however, and we did not find that clear in the movie. If anything, the fact that they use time travel, from a plot point, seemed to be so they could reboot Star Trek. I'm fine with it either way, because ...

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
    The beauty is, you can still pop in your 60s or TNG dvds...anytime you want. Thousands of episodes still exist in your collection. Them rewriting history for the new movies doesn't take that away. Enjoy what you want from the past, they weren't making new tv shows in that continuity anyway (because they drove the franchise into the ground).

Yep. That's how I feel about Highlander. Everything after the first movie essentially re-wrote it but that doesn't keep me from putting in the disk and enjoying it on it's on basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      "I've never trusted Klingons and I never will."
      <shrug> Okay then...

Comment

It's an alternate universe. That's made quite clear in the film.
        Absolutely!

Comment

A question, but first...Star Wars rules...do you guys like watching the updated original series? Y'know, the ones where the Enterprise is cgi'd up and other effects are spruced up to make it more modern?

I'm not the biggest Trekkie, never saw a movie that wasn't TNG, but I could go either way on these. I like the original because of the nolstalgia factor, but the updated ones are cool too...you?
          "This is the strangest life I've ever known" The Doors
          "What is this but my reflection, who am I to judge or strike you down?" TOOL
          "I will move away from here, you won't be afraid of fear" Nirvana
          "Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
          *Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*

Comment

I'm of two minds. I don't like it so much when they take stuff that already had decent effects for the period, and polish them up too much so they don't exactly FIT. However, there are cases where, in the original they didn't have the budget to, say, actually design a new ship model, so instead a ship is never shown, or represented by a sparkly light. I like it when they fix that kind of cheesy cost-cutting...

Comment

Originally posted by CYLON (13) View Post
              A question, but first...Star Wars rules...do you guys like watching the updated original series? Y'know, the ones where the Enterprise is cgi'd up and other effects are spruced up to make it more modern?

I'm not the biggest Trekkie, never saw a movie that wasn't TNG, but I could go either way on these. I like the original because of the nolstalgia factor, but the updated ones are cool too...you?
              I've watched those enhanced TOS episodes on Blu ray, but I think I stopped. It looks neat to see a rendered NC 1701 the first time or two, but doesn't really add anything.

Comment

I went with 3 Trekkies, however, and we did not find that clear in the movie.
                It was referred to on-screen, and I quote, as "an alternate reality." It doesn't get much clearer than that.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                  This was back when I was in college so I was more worried about getting laid than watching Trek.
                  Priorities, man!

You'd be wrong. According to Paramount, the prime timeline still exists. (That's why it's called "prime." JJ's stuff is officially called "the alternate reality.")

Comment

Sorry for splitting this into multiple posts...kept timing out otherwise.
                    Originally posted by CYLON (13) View Post
                    do you guys like watching the updated original series? Y'know, the ones where the Enterprise is cgi'd up and other effects are spruced up to make it more modern?
                    Yep. I bought all of TOS on Blu-ray, and checked out the episodes with the updated effects. I love the fact that they were so painstakingly done; they actually "fit" in with the rest of the footage, and looked like they always could've been there. They didn't go flashy; they just went for a simply look. It doesn't look like the Star Wars special editions, where the CGI was glaringly different from the original model work or other effects.
                    That's why I love the fact that the BRDs have both versions on the discs, and pressing the Angle key on the remote switches between them on the fly.

Comment

It was referred to on-screen, and I quote, as "an alternate reality." It doesn't get much clearer than that.
                      Who said that? Spock? In the ice cave or at the end? It seems familiar.

I guess when we heard that, we figured the alternate reality would just be the reality before the Romulans altered it with time travel. Spock traveled through time, right? He didn't cross dimensions, did he?

I mean, if that's what they mean, great, but why'd they even bother with time travel then? Why not just do a straight up Romulan war?

Comment

Who said that? Spock? In the ice cave or at the end? It seems familiar.
                        Uhura.
                        I guess when we heard that, we figured the alternate reality would just be the reality before the Romulans altered it with time travel. Spock traveled through time, right? He didn't cross dimensions, did he?

I mean, if that's what they mean, great, but why'd they even bother with time travel then? Why not just do a straight up Romulan war?
                        No. They went back in time, but the Narada's incursion in 2233 created an alternate timeline that split off from the prime one.

Comment

Uhura.

No. They went back in time, but the Narada's incursion in 2233 created an alternate timeline that split off from the prime one.
                          That's cool, thanks. So we can follow either continuity. I like that.

I also, apparently, have to re-watch this film.

Comment

did anyone ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe JJ and Paramount boys came up with "it's all happening in an "alternate reality" b/s just to suit up the fan boys and they don't know what their talking about when it comes to f@cking with the timeline? cause if it's true WHEN WHY DID THEY EVEN HAVE TO GO BACK IN TIME TO FIX THAT WATCH GOT F@CK WITH TO BEGIN WITH?

PS post #11,4

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

"This is the strangest life I've ever known" The Doors
                              "What is this but my reflection, who am I to judge or strike you down?" TOOL
                              "I will move away from here, you won't be afraid of fear" Nirvana
                              "Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
                              *Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*

Comment

That is pure awesomeness!
                                I just wanna play.
                                I just wanna play a game.
                                One that you've never played before.
                                One you'll never play again I'm sure...

Comment

Working...
                                X