This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ch'psAcorn View Post
    Just because his films aren't blockbusters doesn't mean he doesn't have a following and fan appeal. I can guarantee the general audience recognizes the name Ryan Reyolds over Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth. Van Wilder, Waiting, and The Proposal were pretty popular. His sex appeal alone to the ladies means he doesn't have to be in any great movies to be popular.
    Both Van Wilder and Waiting were not big hits at the box office. Van Wilder and Waiting were only successful because of their low budgets. Wilder made 21 million, and Waiting made 16 million. Both of them sold well on DVD though.

Maybe Reynolds can play the lead in a hit film in the future. But as right of now he's not "successful" as a solo lead. Ladies don’t flock to movies because of him.

PS: I like Reynolds, but his career is what it is.
    Mister.Weirdo
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 05-11-2013, 03:57 AM.

Comment

• I was thinking about Reynolds as GL today. It occurred to me that if he continues to play Hal, he may work better in a teamup movie than on his own in a solo story. If he has other actors to play off his brand of comedy would probably work, not too far away from how RDJ's Tony Stark works so well in the Avengers. Not that he wasn't already amazing in the IM movies, but that a team almost NEEDS that type of character with a flamboyant personality.

Comment

• And the more I think about it, the more casting him in a JL movie makes sense. Forget how bad the first GL movie was; just make JL as good as you can. Then worry about making a better GL movie when the time comes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
          And the more I think about it, the more casting him in a JL movie makes sense. Forget how bad the first GL movie was; just make JL as good as you can. Then worry about making a better GL movie when the time comes.
          This.

Comment

• Though Ryan was not my first pick for Green Lantern I think overall he was okay. He has a genral likability to him that I could see where they would want to keep him on board.

That said, I don't know what the right call for a newGL movie is. At this point I would say just make some good Cartoon straight to DVD movies. Let's test the waters a bit before we spend 4 gazillion dollars,hoping that it will be as popular as the Harry Potter Phenomon.
            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

• ^Yes, but I don't know to what extent the animated movies "test the waters." They're main audience/consumer is comics fans who know the stories and when the DVDs come out. They're not a very good barometer for the non-fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                Both Van Wilder and Waiting were not big hits at the box office. Van Wilder and Waiting were only successful because of their low budgets. Wilder made 21 million, and Waiting made 16 million. Both of them sold well on DVD though.

Maybe Reynolds can play the lead in a hit film in the future. But as right of now he's not "successful" as a solo lead. Ladies don’t flock to movies because of him.

PS: I like Reynolds, but his career is what it is.
                I'm not arguing that his movies haven been huge blockbusters at the box office because they haven't but you can't deny that his name is extremely recognizable in pop culture. I would argue that ladies do go to movies because of him. He is why I was able to get my fiancee to go to see the movie twice in theaters and reading Twitter around the time the movie came out indicated that people did see it just because he was in it.

And if JL is a huge success it won't matter that the GL movie was poorly received the excitement from JL and the DC Universe would be enough to justify a sequel, especially if you have somebody like Zack Snyder or David Goyer overseeing the DC Universe like Kevin Feige does the Marvel one. I think DC did a bit of a disservice to GL by letting it go out there solo with no talks of it starting off a cohesive universe. Some of the Marvel movies would have been a lot less successful if they were released with no talks of them all leading to The Avengers. If GL ends after the credits with something like Batman watching Hal fighting Parallax in the Batcave, the movie would still be seen as weak but it would have changed all the conversation away from the weak story or poor editing to "Holy Crap! Where is this all leading!!! What is going to happen?" Instead they added a confusing clip of Sinestro to appease fanboys but that made no sense to the story other than to hint at where the sequel would go.
                Ch'psAcorn
                Sinestro's Sparring Partner
                Last edited by Ch'psAcorn; 05-12-2013, 02:01 AM.
                COLLECTED EDITIONS READING ORDER LISTS

Comment

• Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                  Let's test the waters a bit before we spend 4 gazillion dollars,hoping that it will be as popular as the Harry Potter Phenomon.

in a world where you can print you way out of debt i don't see why your worried about them spending money to make GL movies................ it's not like it's our money

also i, for one, don't have a problem with Ryan Reyolds as a actor or as GL
                  IonFan
                  Forum Member
                  Last edited by IonFan; 05-12-2013, 02:24 AM.

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by Ch'psAcorn View Post
                    I'm not arguing that his movies haven been huge blockbusters at the box office because they haven't but you can't deny that his name is extremely recognizable in pop culture. I would argue that ladies do go to movies because of him. He is why I was able to get my fiancee to go to see the movie twice in theaters and reading Twitter around the time the movie came out indicated that people did see it just because he was in it.
                    Okay! It’s just that on average ladies don’t go to see movies because of him, hence the poor box office for his solo outings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                      Okay! It’s just that on average ladies don’t go to see movies because of him, hence the poor box office for his solo outings.
                      Actually they do, because of them sexey abs.

Comment

• Ryan Reynold's was the least of the film's problems. The film's direction, plot, themes and execution were all bigger problems.
                        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                          Ryan Reynold's was the least of the film's problems. The film's direction, plot, themes and execution were all bigger problems.
                          This. Right here. With emphasis on EXECUTION.

Comment

• More important than sequels or problems with the film is that BLAKE LIVELY AND RYAN REYNOLDS ARE MARRIED. Something great came out of this movie!

Comment

• Fuck their marriage. I'd gladly trade that in for a great GL movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                                Fuck their marriage. I'd gladly trade that in for a great GL movie.
                                BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X