• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #6 *Preview/Spoilers*

Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion #6 Preview
    Writer: Tom Taylor
    Artists: Scott McDaniel & Jack Herbert

Ha. There was a little verbal reference to Mosaic.

Comment

Just read it and the only exciting thing to me was the idea that a kernel of the Old Universe is now on Mogo.

What does this mean? It's a diverse refugee population. There are all sorts of possibilities. From what we've seen (and heard about) in Relic's backstory and the last two GL series: Lost Army and Edge of Oblivion, the overall knowledge and scope of the Old Universe's populace in manipulating the emotional electromagnetic spectrum may be greater than the current, mainstream DC universe. (Though surprisingly, Old Universe'ers never seemed to have found their prime emotion avatars or ever harnessed the white light of Creation)

Maybe there are a few ex-lightwielders to be found who can make some interesting new storylines?

Comment

This was mediocre at best, went out with a whimper.

Comment

Can someone spoil it for me?

Comment

This series sucked so hard from start to finish, in my opinion. After all that, there is still no explanation as to why the Corps was even sent back to that other universe and who did that to them. I don't believe we should have to get that explanation elsewhere, and the fact that we apparently do brings this already bad series considerably lower in my view.

I would't be surprised if DC just decided to not explain that. It seemed to be one of the main things in Lost Army, but in Edge of Oblivion, that entire mystery seemed to be thrown out the window in favor of commentary about immigration. Whatever the explanation ends up being... if there is one... I'm confident it won't be the one that was originally planned in Lost Army. I imagine Krona must have had something to do with something, but Edge of Oblivion pretends he was never involved.

Another upsetting factor is that the most obvious solution, which the Corps actually wrote off immediately, wound up being the solution. There's a tear in space... maybe that is actually the way home. I'm confident many readers considered that, and yet, no one in story was intelligent enough to even entertain the thought?

Also... I don't even see the point of that worthless Iolande subplot of her and some Lanterns flying in space. I don't think any more than one page needed to be spent on that. It didn't really amount to anything, other than Lanterns flying in space and then eventually showing up on Mogo issues later.

Really sub par series on multiple levels:

* A story that contradicts and ignores the one that immediately came before it, which it SHOULD be directly linked with.

* A generally painfully uninteresting narrative.

* Poor art after the third issue. And maybe even before that depending on your opinion of Ethan Van Sciver (personally, I greatly preferred Jesus Saiz). While I will say some of Van Sciver's stuff is impressive, he also did a lot of stuff I didn't care for, like butch women, some weird proportions, and some other things.

* The ending has no "punch line." The series is set up on a mystery, and the ending doesn't... explain ANYTHING.

* No worthwhile characterization or advancement for any of the characters involved.

* No good fights.

* Uninteresting foes.

With Lost Army, I do believe Cullen Bunn was progressing the story too slowly, and it could have been better in some ways, but it at least seemed like the story was really headed somewhere, and had the potential to be REALLY interesting. It seems like DC gave up on all of that and just put out Edge of Oblivion just because. I believe it would have been better to have just let Lost Army run its planned course. I see this whole thing DC has wound up with as a disaster, but fortunately for them, by the end of this, I doubt enough people were reading/invested enough in the story anymore to even care.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
              Can someone spoil it for me?
              SPOILERS

The long and short of it is that some lanterns die and the GLs notice their rings are going to the rift that sucked out Arisia (for replacements). Baz theorizes its their way out and jumps through as a test, but (of course) they don't hear any more from him. The lanterns divide between fighting the Blackest Knights and gathering/protecting the universe. The old planet volunteers to stay behind and hold the knights. The GLs gather all the refugees on Mogo and head into the rift with them. Fade out to white.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 06-09-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Great way to end a mini series...with no resolution. They just leave it on another cliffhanger like they did with Lost Army. Pretty dismal.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                  Great way to end a mini series...with no resolution. They just leave it on another cliffhanger like they did with Lost Army. Pretty dismal.
                  Yeah, when they did it with Lost Army, it was a slightly different situation. That was a cancelled ongoing (so it didn't have a set length it was working with), with a miniseries announced to, by implication, conclude its storyline. Here we have a miniseries, with a set length. Not only does it not, in any meaningful way, actually wrap up what Lost Army established (it totally drops almost every aspect of that storyline), it doesn't even wrap up its OWN storyline, despite knowing going in exactly how many issues they had to accomplish that.

Pretty poor form on multiple counts if you ask me. We'll see if HJ&tGLC makes up for the deficiencies here, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    SPOILERS

The long and short of it is that some lanterns die and the GLs notice their rings are going to the rift that sucked out Arisia (for replacements). Baz theorizes its their way out and jumps through as a test, but (of course) they don't hear any more from him. The lanterns divide between fighting the Blackest Knights and gathering/protecting the universe. The old planet volunteers to stay behind and hold the knights. The GLs gather all the refugees on Mogo and head into the rift with them. Fade out to white.
                    Wowwww

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                      Yeah, when they did it with Lost Army, it was a slightly different situation. That was a cancelled ongoing (so it didn't have a set length it was working with), with a miniseries announced to, by implication, conclude its storyline. Here we have a miniseries, with a set length. Not only does it not, in any meaningful way, actually wrap up what Lost Army established (it totally drops almost every aspect of that storyline), it doesn't even wrap up its OWN storyline, despite knowing going in exactly how many issues they had to accomplish that.

Pretty poor form on multiple counts if you ask me. We'll see if HJ&tGLC makes up for the deficiencies here, I guess.
                      Exactly. You can forgive an ongoing not having a proper resolution when it gets cancelled, but what excuse does a mini series have?

Not only that, it means that this "mystery" now has to roll over into the beginning of the new ongoing GLC title! How much of a "Rebirth" is it when HJ&TGLC starts out needing to resolve Hal being a criminal on the run, and the Corps still missing? All of that garbage should have been over and done with before this new series starts, at least if they intend it to be a jumping ON point.

Comment

My guess: first arc is primarily Hal vs Sinestro Corps and just when it looks like it's game over the GLC shows up to save the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                          My guess: first arc is primarily Hal vs Sinestro Corps and just when it looks like it's game over the GLC shows up to save the day.
                          That sounds likely.

Comment

Wait that wouldn't make much sense since Baz is already back in Green Lanterns...

Comment

But does Green Lanterns even count? My head cannon is already ignoring it.

Comment

Working...
                              X