Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ion: Torchbearer and The Dying Flame Questions (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion: Torchbearer and The Dying Flame Questions (Spoilers)

Hello everyone!

I got into comics about a year ago and started reading some older Green Lantern comics and trades and then was directed to Rebirth and so forth (mainly, been following this message board for awhile, so I appreciate all the help you've given me without knowing it). I started at Rebirth and read everything through Blackest Night. I'm reading some small post-Blackest Night trades at the moment and then hopping into Brightest Day.

I bought the Ion issues (all 12, Torchbearer and The Dying Flame) because I'm a big fan of Kyle. After reading them, it was interesting to see the progression but also left a lot of unanswered questions without having a following series. I know this occurred in between all of the trades I've read but none of them answered some of the questions I have, unless they're continued in another DC character's story perhaps..

My question is.... what the heck happened with the monitors that were monitoring Kyle that vowed to kill him? And The Bleed? And "Atom and The Flash and Green Lantern" characters, but weren't the real ones that came to Earth when the kids and Kyle were sent to The Bleed?

As a newer comic book reader, this is a giant pet peeve, and I see it's a continuous problem in the world of comics.... stories starting over from scratch, stories dropping, and unanswered questions. Green Lantern has been a confusing journey but definitely a huge Green Lantern fan regardless.

Thanks for the help!

they got reconned away and forgotten about *sorry but it's the truth

oh and welcome to the board

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by _ION View Post
      My question is.... what the heck happened with the monitors that were monitoring Kyle that vowed to kill him? And The Bleed? And "Atom and The Flash and Green Lantern" characters, but weren't the real ones that came to Earth when the kids and Kyle were sent to The Bleed?
      I honestly don't remember any of that stuff (well, OK, I vaguely recall The Bleed coming up), but didn't all the monitors except Nix Uotan die in Final Crisis? Or at least stop being a factor SOMEhow? If so, that would explain why nothing became of any threats to Kyle from that direction.

Comment

Alright, that's what I figured but it was killing me to not know what the heck happened to this story. It's like watching an entire season of a tv show and them cancelling it before the finale.

Mister Ed, I believe it was around the middle of the series, or the beginning of The Dying Flame.... two kids were playing with a lantern and it turned green and blew up and sent them to The Bleed (which I have no clue what it is anyways, as I haven't read any other DC or Marvel comics really at this point). I don't know if these guys were actually called "Monitors" but that's what they were referred to as, as they were monitoring Kyle and watching over him and they were a bunch of brothers ready to kill Kyle and then...... nothing else.

Comment

Alright, that's what I figured but it was killing me to not know what the heck happened to this story. It's like watching an entire season of a tv show and them cancelling it before the finale.

Mister Ed, I believe it was around the middle of the series, or the beginning of The Dying Flame.... two kids were playing with a lantern and it turned green and blew up and sent them to The Bleed (which I have no clue what it is anyways, as I haven't read any other DC or Marvel comics really at this point). I don't know if these guys were actually called "Monitors" but that's what they were referred to as, as they were monitoring Kyle and watching over him and they were a bunch of brothers ready to kill Kyle and then...... nothing else.
          Yeah, if you want to find out what happened to the Monitors, you have to read Final Crisis. Sometimes random stuff is tossed into books to tie them into other books or company-wide events. When that happens, it was never intended for the resolution to take place in the original book- they WANT you to look elsewhere to follow that thread.

Comment

... and they want to confuse the shit out of new readers like me, got it lol

I've heard a lot about Final Crisis but need to tip-toe through stuff like that, as even the Blackest Night series confused me a little as I'm not familiar with all the other characters besides the ones on the movie screen. I'll eventually get there though and check that out. Thanks!

Comment

... and they want to confuse the shit out of new readers like me, got it lol

I've heard a lot about Final Crisis but need to tip-toe through stuff like that, as even the Blackest Night series confused me a little as I'm not familiar with all the other characters besides the ones on the movie screen. I'll eventually get there though and check that out. Thanks!
              Just to be clear, I'm not specifically recommending it...others here would, but I didn't think it was that great. All I'm saying is that IF you want to know what happened with the Monitors, that's the place to look.

I'm with you, I'd just as soon most titles stayed self-contained (or at least only crossed over within a related family of books). If I want to see a bunch of different heroes interacting, I pick up Justice League (which I still do, even though GL isn't in it at the moment) or one of the other team books.

Comment

The rifts in time and space were what lead into Final Crisis I think it was, as the Ion maxi series had Capt. Atom in the process of becoming Armageddon. Kyle would later run into conflict with Bob the Monitor while traveling the multiverse with Red Hood/Jason Todd, Donna Troy, and an alt Earth hero Joker called the Jokester as the Challengers From Beyond. They had a recurring adventure in the pages of the Countdown weekly series as well as a series of one shots set on separate Earths in the multiverse... Bob the Monitor was a recurring character and I think their story was all about the Search for Ray Palmer who'd jumped into the multiverse.

I honestly liked the idea of Kyle having a fresh team to adventure around with a lot more than him being shoehorned back into the GLC title right away.

~KL~

Comment

.... whaaaaat? lol .. well, that does sound rather intriguing, mainly with the Jokester thing actually.

And for some reason, "Bob the Monitor" made me laugh. Such a badass looking dude and his name is simply Bob.

Comment

I'd LOVE to spoil it for you with what happens to Bob and Jokester, but don't wanna ruin the story...

Jokester was from an alternate Crime Syndicate Earth where it was called the Crime Society and had a few more members based on JSA characters. Owlman was his arch enemy and his color scheme was reversed from Joker's...

~KL~
                    Ωmega Man
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 10-04-2014, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Pretty interesting.

I need to start that Infinite Crisis/Final Crisis whole deal then. I'm sure I'll be completely lost with the cast of characters I'm unfamiliar with but I'll bug you guys if I do :-P

Comment

:Moderator:

Start with Crisis on Infinite Earths if you haven't read it, then go to Infinite Crisis. I wouldn't worry about Final Crisis for a bit.
                        sigpic
                        Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Working...
                        X