The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #101
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

With Doomsday Clock? I don't know, I didn't read it.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #102
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I thought Doomsday Clock (which I have read) was a separate thing?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:09 AM   #103
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And is Rebirth even over yet? How did it end?
DC removed the "Rebirth" branding from all the books a while ago, either late 2017 or early 2018. Doomsday Clock wrapped up the story that Johns started in DC Universe: Rebirth that kicked everything off.

So yea, we're in the post-Rebirth era.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #104
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

And yet... it doesn't line up with Rebirth or post-Rebirth continuity:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...oomsday-clock/
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #105
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well that's 'cause they're bad at their jobs
Old 02-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #106
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

So basically it seems to me that Morrison is holding the same bag he held at the precipice of the New 52. As in now it's TGL and then it was B&R. Meanwhile, they're going to make the Bendis Young Justice GL the new GL, right? For 5G?
Old 02-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #107
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

What an epic trainwreck that will be, if they make the star of the only GL title the teenage black girl that stole Oan technology with her laptop. Just the drizzling shitz.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #108
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
What an epic trainwreck that will be, if they make the star of the only GL title the teenage black girl that stole Oan technology with her laptop. Just the drizzling shitz.
I thought she was from Brazil or Bolivia?

I read somewhere that the woman from Far Sector would return to 2814 for 5G.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #109
Space Cop
The Dandy

She wasn't even the one who truly stole it. The alien that did sort of gave it to her as he was dying with no details on how he got it or how to use it.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #110
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Meanwhile, they're going to make the Bendis Young Justice GL the new GL, right? For 5G?
I thought it was supposed to be the one from Far Sector. But now she isn't even on the Nicola Scott variant for the anniversary special.

Then again, they're probably scrapping those 5G plans right now anyway.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #111
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post

Then again, they're probably scrapping those 5G plans right now anyway.
DC would be smart to do so. Funny how the same week the solicits went up announcing 5G Didio is terminated. I can imagine fan response to this initiative isn't what they hoped for.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:14 PM   #112
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
I thought she was from Brazil or Bolivia?

I read somewhere that the woman from Far Sector would return to 2814 for 5G.
I thought I read it was the Young Justice kid. Or maybe DC will create another, as THREE human minority female GREEN Lanterns might not be enough to dilute the franchise enough to truly kill it.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #113
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

DiDio seems to have been a big advocate of creating allegedly "better versions of existing characters."

So I can see why the creators liked him so much. "Hey you over there. Go create me a better Flash. I know you can do it, because you're as smart and as capable as John Broome and Gardner Fox. It'll be great!"

"Gee, Dan! I'd love to!"

But here's what he should have said to those guys.

"You know, the Flash has been a very successful character for a very long time. If you can create a new character that's equally successful, then I might let you fuck with the Flash. But probably not, because why should I do that? To assuage your ego maybe?"

"Leave the Flash alone and go create an equally successful character. That's what we need here. Another character who can sell a comic. Because even after 80 years we have very few of those. We don't need a 'better' version of an existing character who's doing OK, and who long experience tells me won't even be nearly as good. And will just dilute the brand."

"Seriously though -- since you and I both know damned well you'll never create a new character as successful as the Flash, just write me a Flash story that doesn't suck. And don't fuck with the characters, OK? I need it by Thursday."

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-22-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #114
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It's been schizophrenic from day one. On the one hand, they had to bring back Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, because explaining the origin of Wally West was apparently too complicated. And then they kept introducing new characters like four new Green Lanterns, a new Superboy, two completely new sets of the Legion of Super-Heroes and even a Rorschach 2.
On the one hand, they folded the Vertigo characters (Swamp Thing, Constantine, etc) into the DCU, effectively killing the label. On the other, the shipped characters off to out-of-continuity books in the Young Animal and Black Label imprints.
Every ongoing book of every character dragged into one of their massive line-wide events has to echo the developments in those events. Supergirl Who Laughs, Infected Commissioner Gordon, etc. But Billy Batson is completely unaffected in his own book, and the current Justice League run is set before the previous Justice League run.
Everything has to be grimdark, with characters losing their arms, Wonder Dog gruesomely killing off Wendy and Marvin, and Ryan Choi getting killed and buried in a match box. And then Rebirth is making everything light and hopeful again, and Wally West comes back - only to murder Roy Harper and various other characters before getting shipped off across the multiverse to become the second Doctor Manhattan, because his origin (getting hit by lightning just like his mentor) was so complicated that they had to bring Barry Allen back.
It's truly mind-boggling.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #115
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

We've roasted Geoff over Baz and Cruz. As we should have. But DiDio must have been a big advocate for them.

For the Far Sector Lantern and the gay Alan too.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #116
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

How much is Bendis involved in 5G? Yeah, I'm still thinking there's probably a decent chance that his Young Justice kid GL will become aged up rammed out there as the new GL. Which is going to be a hell of a thing to explain. GL isn't like a mantle... and what, would Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all suddenly retire?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #117
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
How much is Bendis involved in 5G? Yeah, I'm still thinking there's probably a decent chance that his Young Justice kid GL will become aged up rammed out there as the new GL. Which is going to be a hell of a thing to explain. GL isn't like a mantle... and what, would Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all suddenly retire?
Why put one of the 27 other human Lanterns in the starring role in the next GL title when you can have some teenager with a laptop? She's going to be SO over!
Old 02-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #118
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Why put one of the 27 other human Lanterns in the starring role in the next GL title when you can have some teenager with a laptop? She's going to be SO over!
It's weird, I kept reading descriptions of Teen Lantern as being some kid who hacked into the GL power battery, but then I actually read Young Justice, and it doesn't seem to have been anything like that. Unless there was another explanation in the one issue I missed (#2), it sure seemed like some alien had a power gauntlet (like the one Hal had during his "renegade" days), got killed, and she took it off him.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #119
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It's weird, I kept reading descriptions of Teen Lantern as being some kid who hacked into the GL power battery, but then I actually read Young Justice, and it doesn't seem to have been anything like that. Unless there was another explanation in the one issue I missed (#2), it sure seemed like some alien had a power gauntlet (like the one Hal had during his "renegade" days), got killed, and she took it off him.
That is correct.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #120
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
How much is Bendis involved in 5G?
I'd say decently involved. He's penning one of those Generation one shots and Bleeding Cool had connected him to the whole replacement Batman gossip before the 5G rumors started.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:15 AM   #121
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: DC's 5G Comics Still Going Full Steam Ahead – Launch in October?
Quote:
The departure of Dan DiDio as DC Publisher over the weekend has left many wondering what this might mean for the planned 5G/Generation Five relaunch of the DC Universe. Which would have Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Diana and the rest aged out of their roles and replaced with new characters under old names, gathering a huge amount of attention – while tales of the classic characters would play out in premium prestige titles.

Truth is, I didn't know myself. Dan DiDio was so much behind that move, but it was signed off by the top bods at Warner/AT&T and even without its champion, momentum is strong. I am told that worried creators who have been working on the new 5G titles for some time, under editor Brian Cunningham, have been told it is full speed ahead on all their comics. The plan is to announce at San Diego Comic Con and launch in October, with half a year's worth of comics already completed.

However, the absence of DiDio may mean that if Generation Five comes to a natural end, it may be replaced sooner that later, lacking someone with an ideological dedication to The New in charge.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #122
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: AT&T and Warner Bros – The Real Driving Force Behind DC Comics' 5G
Quote:
Some people have decided, it seems, that Dan DiDio was fired as Publisher at Warner Bros because of the 5G/Generation Five relaunch he instigated within the company over the last nine months. This is not true – and yesterday, Bleeding Cool reported, after talking to creators, that 5G was very much still on the books, and worried creators who read the news about Dan DiDio have been reassured – it's all systems go for launch in October.

But there is some link between 5G and Dan's departure, it's just far more nuanced than some reactionary commentators might prefer. As it stands, the 5G plans look to be largely intact. Editors and creators are still excited – and so is AT&T/Warner Bros, the big pushers of this initiative. Some things might get re-evaluated to make it a more natural launch, rather than replace everyone at once. There may be a growing a consensus that it was becoming "too much, too fast" – something Axel Alonso suffered from at Marvel with his All-New Marvel Now Now Now Now.

So we may be looking at a gradual relaunch over a number of months rather than all-at-once. Bleeding Cool has also been looking at the role that Generation One: Gods Among Us, free on Free Comic Book Day will play, and it seems that this comic will give all sorts of cover for two, three, four versions of reality existing side-by-side in DC shared universe comics – as if it was intended all along (which it wasn't). But it makes issues with Leviathan Dawn and Justice League simply melt away.

So what about Dan DiDio and 5G? Well, I am told that at the beginning stages of 5G, Dan seemed to be less hands-on and everyone involved was convinced it wasn't going to become another New 52, where Dan had final say on everything (which is how it's been since then). When Dan leaked the unfinished timeline at NYCC, people started to get worried internally, and the last month especially has seen Dan returning to his trademark levels of micromanagement that's caused some to freak out. And that may have been the final straw regarding the charge of 'fostering a poor work environment' which led to his dismissal.

Because AT&T/Warner Bros are very, very serious about this 5G thing – not just for the comics, but this is also where they see the future of Warner Bros films and TV going as currently-established actors age up.
Bleeding Cool: Post-Dan DiDio Changes, Already Happening at DC Comics?
Quote:
I understand that it is too late to affect Flash #750, out at C2E2today and in comic stores on Wednesday. But it appears that a number of writers who have been working on upcoming comic books in line with the new DC Timeline, as of yesterday are being asked to make significant changes.

The original plan, as outlined by Dan DiDio at NYCC last year, was to rewrite the chronology of the DC Universe, with Wonder Woman first emerging in World War II rather than five years ago, and then live through the twentieth century, inspiring all other DC superheroes.

As revealed by Bleeding Cool analysis, this would also see Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent born around this time and so age them significantly, as well as spread what had been a truncated timeline in the New 52, out across the decades. One example of the changes this would make would be giving each Robin a decade or more with Batman, before moving on. This is part of the 'everything happened, everything matters' mantra that was going to put everything published into DC Comics history, somewhere, rather than previous Crises and reboots which were more likely to cut things out. And, spread out across four generations- with a new Fifth Generation looking at what happened when the big names stepped down and their legacy continues with other characters – would allow creators to tell stories across their entire lives, as one can do with the likes of James Bond, Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood. The opportunity to do both Year One and Old Man stories. And then to go further beyond…

But now I am told that major changes are coming in. First, the dates, the specified years' timespans laid out in the DC Timeline are no longer being as tied down. Creators are rewriting and redrawing as a result. The 5G books are all still happening, as are the Generation one-shots – but they may now be placed in a different context.

For some, this will be welcome. For others, this may be abandoning what seemed as a very exciting idea. Bleeding Cool will keep an eye on how this rolls out, as we have for the entirety of our reporting on 5G and the DC Timeline.

But at what point will people start calling for The DiDio Cuts?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #123
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Because AT&T/Warner Bros are very, very serious about this 5G thing – not just for the comics, but this is also where they see the future of Warner Bros films and TV going as currently-established actors age up.
This isn't logical. Just replace the actors. You've done it before. Countless times. If they had replaced Bruce Wayne in the comics when Adam West aged out of the role in the 70s, we never would have gotten some of the most successful Warner movies like Batman 89 or The Dark Knight. If you want to do a younger Batman with Bruce as a mentor, just make a Batman Beyond movie. But there is no reason to reinvent the wheels all across the DCU, and all at once to boot.
Are you actively trying to sabotage your own company?
Old 03-02-2020, 04:08 AM   #124
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
From the rumors that I'm seeing online, it seems that Jo Mullein is the most likely character to take the headliner reigns if and when DC decides to do whatever modified version of 5G that they do. However, I wouldn't necessarily count on a mass-retirement of current GLs, especially with the HBO Max show on the way. There will likely be a (or a couple) different ringslinger in the JL, while others make appearances in other titles, ala Kyle in Titans.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #125
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Bleeding Cool: AT&T and Warner Bros – The Real Driving Force Behind DC Comics' 5G

WB cant even figure out how to NOT fuck-up a comic movie project less than 10% of the time, and they now wanna dictate how the source material work/should look like??

shitheaded ideas were the reason CoIE happened in the 80s, and the "one & ONLY one Earth" -concept from that lasted maybe some 3 - 5yrs b4 writers started to to ignore it? yea, I see the same thing happening here.
:/

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote