No announcement yet.

2013 SDCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great blog Sylent! Sorry to hear about all the frustation and misinformation.

CJ, the reason I want SDCC 2014 to be my last one (for the foreseeable future) because of Star Wars, Batman/Superman and Avengers 2 panels. It will probably one of the more epic comiccon experiences.
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF28 View Post
      Thats a great blog, SA. Again, I appreciate you even offering to help. The fact that you got shutout has no effect on the outcome. Its the thought that counts.

I became too obsessed with exclusives this year. Not for me, but for friends that couldnt go. to the point, I missed out on alot of stuff I wanted to do at the con.

Next year, Im going because Im thinking it will be focused on Star Wars. After that, I may try a different con. Maybe Phoenix. Maybe NYCC
      Thanks, man! I felt bad because you saved me a ton of time, and allowed me to cut in three different lines (Hasbro, Mattel, entrance to the center) in addition to saving me time in getting the Graphitti exclusives. If it wasn't for you, I would have been even grouchier in that blog.

This is the only year I went exclusive crazy, because I thought they would give me a decent return. The only exclusive that was decent that I picked up was Old Man Logan, which I purchaed for $20 and sells for $50-$60 on the secondary market. My Little Pony was a bust, and pretty much anything from Hasbro or Mattel that wasn't Boba Fett and the Magic Card set weren't worth the trouble because they were available on the website 2 weeks later. Metroplex goes for big money, almost double, but it's too much trouble to ship, and Soundwave is showing up at TRU.

Next year, I might skip SDCC and try my luck with DragonCon, where it's all about cosplay and fan interaction. Plus, they have some really good celebrity guests where you don't have to draw tickets, obtain wristbands or jump through hoops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
        Great blog Sylent! Sorry to hear about all the frustation and misinformation.

CJ, the reason I want SDCC 2014 to be my last one (for the foreseeable future) because of Star Wars, Batman/Superman and Avengers 2 panels. It will probably one of the more epic comiccon experiences.
        Thanks!

I suppose this means you plan on spending your entire SDCC in Hall H, because that's where these panels are going to be, and probably on staggering days.

Comment

• Well, if the past several years are any indication, Marvel (Avengers2), WB (Superman v. Batman) and Fox (Star Wars) panels were all on Saturday, so I don't expect that to change. But as it stands, getting into Hall H is third on the priority list. 1 would be to secure passes for SDCC 2014, 2 a hotel in the gaslamp quarters, 3 camping out for Hall H would be the easiest of the three.
          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post

Next year, I might skip SDCC and try my luck with DragonCon, where it's all about cosplay and fan interaction. Plus, they have some really good celebrity guests where you don't have to draw tickets, obtain wristbands or jump through hoops.
            If you don't go to SDCC next year, DragonCon looks like a fun and great alternative.

Comment

COMIC-CON 2013: DAY ONE w/ Orlando Jones - CCM13

+ YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
              I saw Leanna Vamp dressed as Mario on Sunday. We were at the vendor side of the convention center, where the a/c was on full blast. When I took a pic with her, she was freezing and said, "I'm gonna get really close to you, so I can steal your body heat." I didn't realize that she's so skinny. She's gorgeous, but someone needs to fix her a sandwich.

Comment

• Yeah, Leanna is pretty much skin and bones, which I found out when I hugged at BigWow. She's a really nice and friendly person.

Comment

• Originally posted by nevermore View Post
                  Yeah it was cool seeing a different perspective on the Con we went to. We spent almost the entire time in Hall H taking little trips out to the floor and what not during panels we didn't care about while the other saved the seats. I too wish we had ventured out a little more but the panels were good too...tough call. Luckily I didn't care about any of the exclusives this time so I didn't have to fight that fight.
                  That's one of the reason why I didn't try to get into Hall H this year; to experience other parts of the convention as I know it could be the last time I attend. I just wanted to walk around and check things out. I only got two signatures from artists. But, it's definitely cool to be in Hall H at it has that nerdy rock concert feel to it. Sure, you can watch the panels online, but it's a great shared experience to actually be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                    Since you two spent the majority of your time in Hall H, did you get any good swag from the fulfillment room? I attended 3 panels, but only Falling Skies gave away tickets, and all we got were poster tubes from the show with a poster inside. We got really cool Hoodies a couple of years ago, so this was disappointing. I guess I shouldn't complain because Revolution and Person of Interst gave away nothing.

Funny thing- After we picked up the FS poster tubes, my wife went to the restroom in the Marriott. While I was standing around waiting for her, and a woman approached me and asked to buy my poster tube for $10. I was going to leave them in the Hotel because it was too long to fit in our luggage and we couldn't carry it on the plane. Free $10!
                    Yeah we did...from Game of Thrones we got a backpack with tshirts and a book, from the Marvel panel we got a Wolverine shirt, another shirt and a Trask hat. We also got Always Sunny in Philadelphia (which we don't watch or care about) shirts, Sons of Anarchy keychains...but the highlight had to be the Dexter panel. For Dexter we got...wait for it...a small piece of cardboard glued to a popsicle stick for a fan. Cheryl Ferris also schmoozed with a guy at Walking Dead and we got free passes to the Walking Dead Experience and got posters and a book. I heard Tru Blood in Ballroom 20 also gave a backpack with tshirts and whatnot. HBO usually comes correct.
                    A teacher affects eternity; He can never tell where his influence stops.

-Henry Adams

Comment

That's one of the reason why I didn't try to get into Hall H this year; to experience other parts of the convention as I know it could be the last time I attend. I just wanted to walk around and check things out. I only got two signatures from artists. But, it's definitely cool to be in Hall H at it has that nerdy rock concert feel to it. Sure, you can watch the panels online, but it's a great shared experience to actually be there.
                      I did hit up the Ender's Game trailer which was cool but other than that didn't venture out much besides the little 30 minute shots out to the floor during shitty panels. Like I said tough call because we love the panels but also miss a lot being in Hall H.

-Henry Adams

Comment

• Oh yeah I forgot the best swag was scored by Cheryl Ferris...she got Kevin Smith's name tent Saturday night!

-Henry Adams

Comment

• Im finally getting the rest of the Exclusives out to friends this weekend.I'll make a post in here with pictures. Since I dont know how to blog.

Cory

Comment

• SDCC 2013 - Fuck You Kidney Stones edition.

Ok, hella late on posting, but whatever. Comic Con 2013 was.. memorable. ( For whatever reason, my body decided to get all sickly. My kidneys decided it was time to pass a stone, and i was fighting 102 / 103 fevers wed-sat. ( I ended up leaving and missing out on Saturday and Sunday cause i couldn't handle it anymore. ) Between the fever, the lack of strength to carry my shit and the shivers that plagued me over there.. i wasn't missing out on all my exclusive shit, I'm too damn stubborn to be sick. Pissing hurt like a bitch, and all i could think about was how i was gonna get into all those booths...

I got all my exclusives and other statues / figures and free swag. I had a mishap with getting all of the exhibitors badges that i wanted, ( comic con limited the number allowed drastically this year... ) but i was able to get in with one by preview night, so everything ended up being ok. Was only able to get sylent a 4 day including preview night as well.

By preview night, i was able to get into the HASBRO toyshop line as soon as it opened by having both an exhibitors and regular badge. ( this is what everybody else did.. everybody seemed to come prepared to do this. ) Security actually booted people out who's names did not match their ID and badges. I was also able to score Sylent a metroplex and some stuff from the hasbro booth. ( Gotta have that team spirit. )

I sent my uncle to the Funko Booth as i am now into Disney vinylmations. ( there's a lotta money to be made in this shit, dont knock it lol. ) I was able to get a few sets of the SDCC exclusives that night. Here's a pic of me at the booth as they were setting up in the afternoon.

Day 2, Thursday - I was able to meet Dolph Ziggler and The Miz. ( was able to score Sylent a ticket as well. They gave em out in the morning. ) They didn't let you take a posed picture with the wrestlers.. in fact, they rushed us out of the line quick style. I was able to get this one photo, miz blurred and all.. before being rushed outta line. Least i got some autographs i guess.

At the end of the day, I stopped by the Walking Dead experience at the AMC booth. Took a few pics of me battling out some Zombies and took a pic of me in the governors Office...

Back up Mo-Fo !!!

Oh, you want some to !!??

So get this.. they had a raffle bag. Didn't even know what it was for.. but when the lady got all pumped that i won.. i was like.. "what did i win again?" She told me to keep the ticket cause people are trying to buy it for $300 right now...

... it was a winning ticket to meet the cast of the walking Dead the next morning!!!

Which brings me to the next day 3 - Friday. The cast of the Walking Dead. By this point, my health had deteriorated quickly, and i was puffed up, sharp pains in my sides, shivering and too weak to carry my own shit. WHATEVER, it's the cast of the fucking walking dead!!! Fuck you kidney stones !!!

The Governor and Herschel

Daryl and Maggie

Maggie again

Michonne, Glenn and Rick - pointing his finger at me...

Rick. ( He was a cool guy. I brought a walking dead black and white cover for all the cast to sign in red ink. It was the image expo variant for 112. He didn't know who the character, "JESUS" was, and asked me about the character, and who's camp hes in. I told him that he recruited him, and he was like.. ok i like the guy already. Funny guy.

Later that day, I was able to meet another cast... yep. That's right. " Thou shall not Killll.... "

Lost Boys.
                            Yeaaaa Boiiii.

By the end of day 3, i was able to meet up with my favorite female comic heroine. I make sure i snap a pic with a Psylocke at every show i go to.

By day 4 i was done. It was time to head back up to Frisco, and see just what the hell was wrong with me. Long story short, the kidney stone i passed was 1 of 2. My bladder was so backed up and not emptied for 2 weeks.... which led to further inflammation, painful sharp pains and a bacterial urinary tract infection... AND one more stone trying to get out, causing blockage. Needless to say, the process took me over 3 weeks. ( but the bitch HAD to start out at comic con... perfect timing, lol. )

This is me and "the team", day 4 before we left back home. As a team, we got everything we needed. This is how we roll at every show. Don't be a fool and roll by yerself cause that's just comic con suicide.

My Uncle, Sylent, and myself.

Wish i could have taken more pics. Got a lotta swag and exclusives. The justice League play arts kais that were sold a month early. Some dragoin ball z figs from Figuarts. Cheetarah from mezco. MOTUC from mattel. Transformers G1 5 pack, thunderbolts pack, dead pool taco pack and boba fett with han in carbonite, all from hasbro. So much more, but too lazy to finish the list lol.

My favorite is still the variant walking dead comic signed by the cast.. pleasant surprise.

Until next time, OUT.

Team Cyclops !!! ...Screw Wolverine.

Comment

• Alrighty, finally got rid of enough stuff in my room to take pictures of my "haul", so I guess its my turn to blog.

As noted earlier in the thread, I usually get a retailer ticket from a friend of mine, free of charge. its the only way Ive been able to go the last 5 years. Well, after buying my airline ticket from Portland to San Diego, the next day he tells me Diamond Distributing is limiting their ticket giving and because he is a small company, he got shut out. So, I freak.
                              By the end of the next day, I had a ticket available. The catch was 1. I had to pay the full $150 and 2. No preview night. So, I take it. Then the week before SDCC, my friend comes back to tell me Diamond gave out more badges, and he had one for me. Since it was Preview night included, I took that ticket and just ate the $150 I spent on the other ticket.

So, now comes the flight down. Portlant to San Jose, with a layover. Then onto San Diego. They announce they are looking for people to give up their flights, since they over booked. EVeryone declined. They made offers at different stages, getting turned down each time.

First: $100 voucher and a flight landing in SD at 9pm
                              Second try: $200 voucher and a flight landing in SD at 9pm
                              Third try: $300 Voucher and flight landing in SD at 9pm

no one took any of the offers. I declined since that means I would have missed preview night. So, everyone boarded the plane, and they got on the loud speaker

Fourth offer: $300 voucher,refund of ticket ($105) and 9pm.
                              no one budged. The stewardess got on the speaker and asked who all was going to SDCC. Everyone raised their hands. She said "year, right. No one is getting off this plane"

They then came back with a final offer of $300 voucher, $105 refund, and a 5pm landing in SD

I told them if they promised I would be on that plane, I would take the voucher. They did. So, I did. Quick and easy $400

so, now Im stuck in San Jose airport for 3 hours. But let me tell you. It is niiice. I thought Portlands was nice. This beat PDX. Why? USB and wall plug-in at every seat

So, I get there in time. Get into the Convention. Only to find out that Funko was capped 5 minutes after the door openned. And Hasbro capped their line 25 minutes after doors openned. Oh well, I was still able to get my exclusives from NECA, WETA, and a couple of other places. Plus, I had my Mattel stuff preordered. No problems right?

Wanna see two wieners backed up together?

The only picture i took from preview night.

Met up with my new GLC.com friends at the Tilted Kilt. At first, I didnt know who to look for, so after about 30 minutes I headed out the door. only to walk 2 miles and get a text from A-Train letting me know where everyone was at. So, back I go.

Met alot of new friends. Had a good time. Including the best Garlic Fries I've ever eaten.

Went to the hotel and got ready for the first full day of SDCC.

Thursday, like Jay said, you cant work SDCC by yourself. You'll get eaten alive. Its best to work a small group. We had 3 people get in line at about 4am to wait for the doors to open at 630. Myself, I usually slept in and was the last one to join the line at about 620. From there, we split into 3 groups. One group to autograph line, one group to Hasbro line, and one group to wait in the entrance line. thursday, I ended up about 400 people back in the Hasbro line. Not too shabby. I got myself a timed ticket telling me to show up at 2pm to buy exclusices.

When I get there, and I finally get to the front of the line, they sell out of the GIJoe/Transformer, literally 5 people ahead of me. Im told I can keep my time ticket and try again later, or just get whats in stock, and lose out on the X-over. They tell me they are out for the day. So, I get what I can, cuz Im not waiting in line. I calmly explained to them that, while I understand their reasoning, it still stunk. So, onto other items.

Every year, there is one artist that I make sure I get something from. and thats Lord Mesa. https://www.facebook.com/lordmesa.art (Yes, his name is Lord Mesa). I enjoy the chibis that he draws, and he has a way of making them in 3D, which I find extremely cool. This year, his new idea was Commissioned T-shirts. I figured instead of Hal, I would switch it up this year

So, now onto the Mattel line. Usually I dont wait any more than 20 minutes. But I had to open my big fat mouth and ended up waiting for 3 hours this year. Best I could was get Sylent into line with me. So I had someone to hang out with. It was funny watching Security boot people out that try to bulldoze themselves into the front of the line.

So, thursday night, I figure lets get some packing done.

but it all wouldnt fit. This made me spend $240 total for shipping everything back home.

Friday morning was more of the same. Wake up after everyone else, get in line, wait in hasbro, get my ticket, then wait in the entrance line. This time though, I was able to smuggle Sylent and Primus into the Hasbro line. And then smuggled them into the entrance line as well. You would think people would get mad at "cuts" but people are generally laid back and just accept "cuts" because they know their friends are coming as well. Kind of a scratch my back/scratch your back thing.

The entire day is spent roaming around. Visited a couple of panels about self promoting your comics. Bought whatever Green Lantern stuff I saw and did not already have. Saturday was more of the same. Flew home first thing sunday morning to beat the rush.

Here are what pictures I got from the show. All I ever have is my cell phone and its a pain to work the camera, so im not big into taking pictures

Some Cos-players

[img]https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/s720x720/946920_10151724778076870_547835741_n.jpg[img]

Lego does something cool. They make the walls around their booth out of LEGO sheets. so you can build while you wait. so I hid a little message in their for my wifey. bottom left

Another new friend. Eddie Deangelini. He publishes a comic strip also about him and his wife. Got alot of good tips from him.

Here is the line of people trying to get into Hall H for Friday. Each line of white tarps has 2-3 lines of zigzagged people. This line stretched down the back of the ConCenter and down a pier and looped back.

Ducktales!!! MAN, I cant wait for this to get released. I think its later this month

Met up with my Best Friends. Didnt get to hang as much as I would have liked, due to the Exclusives hunt.

This guy was AWESOME as the Joker. Video was necessary to get the full effect. Totally in character the whole time.

Bikini and Airbrush

Brought some fliers with me, to pimp out the TnC comic strip. Slid them onto the Freebie table, and they made it thru the weekend without getting tossed out.

Now, Exclusives and Haulage. I try to help people ever year, that cant go. Im extremely big on community and trying to build friendships. To this end, I always offer Exclusives at cost. I never mark up unless I put them on ebay. This year, I was planned. Everyone paid ahead of time, and I even had a spreadsheet

This is what $240 looks like. 2 big boxes sent home, and leftovers thrown into my luggage

Postal service was polite enough to make sure my exclusives got enough oxygen

And unpacked, this is what my floor looked like

Then box them out, to get them to their owners

Overall, I think it was a pretty good con. Better than last year. I think if you stay away from the Exclusive booths (Mattel, LEGO, Hasro), the convention wasnt very packed. But having a hotel almost 2 miles away, took a toll every day. Next year, gonna have to work my ass to get something closer.

Thanks for reading all this,
                              Cory

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay Burg View Post
                                Ok, hella late on posting, but whatever. Comic Con 2013 was.. memorable. ( For whatever reason, my body decided to get all sickly. My kidneys decided it was time to pass a stone, and i was fighting 102 / 103 fevers wed-sat. ( I ended up leaving and missing out on Saturday and Sunday cause i couldn't handle it anymore. ) Between the fever, the lack of strength to carry my shit and the shivers that plagued me over there.. i wasn't missing out on all my exclusive shit, I'm too damn stubborn to be sick. Pissing hurt like a bitch, and all i could think about was how i was gonna get into all those booths...

Wish i could have taken more pics. Got a lotta swag and exclusives. The justice League play arts kais that were sold a month early. Some dragoin ball z figs from Figuarts. Cheetarah from mezco. MOTUC from mattel. Transformers G1 5 pack, thunderbolts pack, dead pool taco pack and boba fett with han in carbonite, all from hasbro. So much more, but too lazy to finish the list lol.

My favorite is still the variant walking dead comic signed by the cast.. pleasant surprise.

Until next time, OUT.
                                About freakin time you checked back into the message board!

J/K...

Sorry to hear about your kidneys stones, but you're hella strong to make it three days of the con with them. My brother had stones a few years ago and he asked me to take him to the hospital after a few hours of pain from them.

Glad to hear that you were able to score all the exclusives. No doubt it takes a team effort to hunt all this stuff down. I mean, I didn't have preview night and on Thursday at 8:30am Hasbro and Graphitti Design ran out of tickets/wrist bands for the oppotunity to buy exclusives. So, I was assed out on Thursday.

Man, I totally envy you meeting the cast of The Walking Dead. Great pics! That's so awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X