So what exactly is retconned away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what exactly is retconned away?

Any thoughts on particular stories or individual comics that are probably totally out of continuity now?

One of the great things -- to me -- about GL is that it's always been something of an oddity in the DCU. Even as characters and titles were largely rebooted in the 80s en masse, GL's history and back issues -- for the most part -- largely remained intact.

The goofy powers and certain Hal to Alan paths are all that were retconned away, I think.

Even though there is no evidence that Legend of the Green Flame has been dismissed from continuity, its just not a path they will likely ever take, so it can be assumed removed. I would also bet the Green Lantern ring sale thing was retconned out, but who knows.

Green Lantern doesn't really change... ever.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Wasn't there a special of some sort that put a Kyle spin on the ring selling comic?

http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore...DAll&til=28558

Comment

I think there was a special with a cover like that... was just one of those joke covers, though, I think.

Comment

The Special on the GL ringsale was in tribute to the writers of yesteryear

Back in the SA the writers would be given an already drawn cover and told here write a story around this, this is how we got the GL Ring Sale The Special has 4 stories inspired by the cover in it
          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

In one of the graphic novels (I think Testament or something like that) it showed Boodika alive and handless. She was just brought back in the current series as being a prisoner of Cyber Supes.

I'm not sure if the original story was ever meant to be part of regular continuity though.

Comment

Originally posted by 5-ball View Post
              In one of the graphic novels (I think Testament or something like that) it showed Boodika alive and handless. She was just brought back in the current series as being a prisoner of Cyber Supes.

I'm not sure if the original story was ever meant to be part of regular continuity though.
              It's possible that Boodikka was captured on Xudar by the Cyborg or the Manhunters, where she was in "Legacy: Last Will & Testament of Hal Jordan"... but signs point to that story being swept under the rug.

Obviously it was in canon. When Tom recreates Oa, for example, he creates the big Hal Jordan statue. All the way forward in GL: Rebirth, we see that same statue get shattered. Other bits, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                One of the great things -- to me -- about GL is that it's always been something of an oddity in the DCU. Even as characters and titles were largely rebooted in the 80s en masse, GL's history and back issues -- for the most part -- largely remained intact.
                ((That's one of my *favorite* things about the franchise, actually. XD))

Everything *major* from 'Hard Traveling Heroes' on is pretty much canon except, maybe, Itty.

Is Itty still canon? Wasn't there a story about, erm, it in the 90's? o__O (I don't know if I'd be pleased or not).

The big "is it or isn't it in?" continuity angst I have is in regards to Hal's tenure as the Spectre. No one can argue that it happened, but so much of what happened in Spectre v4 has been ignored, rolled over or downright contradicted by the last year and a half of GL comics, it might as well NOT be in continuity. (I mean, seriously, where is Helen Jordan?)

Comment

There was a story about grown up Itty in the GLCQ book I think maybe issue 6 he meet a female of his race and they had babies
                  My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Cephied Variable View Post
                    The big "is it or isn't it in?" continuity angst I have is in regards to Hal's tenure as the Spectre. No one can argue that it happened, but so much of what happened in Spectre v4 has been ignored, rolled over or downright contradicted by the last year and a half of GL comics, it might as well NOT be in continuity. (I mean, seriously, where is Helen Jordan?)
                    I'm not sure any of the Spectre stuff has been retconned away (as Hal himself said at the end of Rebirth, he still remembers most/all of it, except for talking to the Higher Power and such) but they sure don't seem keen on addressing any of it anymore.

A pity, really. At least one or two issues that kind of deal with the aftermath of that, or maybe the current Spectre comes looking for Hal about some unfinished business from one of Hal's own Spectre stories or something would be neat.

Comment

From what I gathered in Rebirth, Spectre's role with Hal was completed when Hal was finally able to break away from the Parallax entity. So as far as Johns' stories go, there really isnt any unfinished business between Spectre and Hal... though a story would always be cool to see... likely won't ever happen until Johns is off of GL, though.

Comment

ok does anyone else feel the way I do about the Rebirth stroy?

Parallax is supposedly still in Hal while he is the Spectre

The Spectre is THE WRATH OF GOD HIMSELF

how in the fuck is Parallax still holding onto its host at this point?
                        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

It had something to do with Parallax representing the ultimate evio in the universe, and one of the reasons God's Wrath, Spectre, joined with Hal was to help him break from it... of course, I thought it had more to do with the Demonic invasion, and the need for a goodly host, that occured in Day of Judgement... but then what does that matter?

However, when Hal broke with Parallax, Spectre let go of Hal, as well, his work being done, allowing Hal to rejoin his body (which I still don't get how they expect us to believe Hal's body was preserved in the sun when we see him get obliterated during his final heroic act, but thats beside the point).

Anyway, to answer the question more directly... Parallax is still holding on becasue he is the ultimate evil... thats the only way to really explain it, I think. That and the fact that the Parallax entity was a cheap fifth act plot device.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                            (which I still don't get how they expect us to believe Hal's body was preserved in the sun when we see him get obliterated during his final heroic act, but thats beside the point).
                            Do we, though? I just remember him sweating, then everything sort of fading green and such as he casts green light and takes in the Sun-Eater (and wouldn't he still have the Sun-Eater inside his body in Rebirth?).

What doesn't make sense to me is that it was supposedly Hal/Parallax's body's lingering Parallax energies that preserved it inside the sun all that time, right? Well, at the beginning of Kyle's first Ion run Kyle went to the sun and absorbed all this power himself -- how much could be left?

Comment

He gets obliterated... at least thats what it looks like to me....

Comment

Working...
                              X