The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4

Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #26
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Pelletier drew too, I dunno, round? I saw a lot of Gary Frank in him so I never really felt his work.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #27
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

His stuff was particularly good right around the Three of a Kind arc with Wally and Conner Hawke as well as his issues during Emerald Knights. He did the GL/Sentinel 3 part mini also and drew Jade amazingly well. I eventually followed him over to the Flash around issues #140-155 during the Dark Flash saga. I hated seeing him get scooped up by Marvel, but I enjoyed his Black Bolt during War of Kings.

I completely get what you mean with the roundness. While his art does seem more realistic when compared to Humberto Ramos and Todd Nauck, it's still easy to put Pelletier in a category with those guys with some of his characters having larger more expressive eyes and hardly a square jaw in the bunch. His Impulse managed to look like almost everyone elses' at the time [see big eyes, hair, and feet].

Seeing Pelletier AND Eaglesham back at DC gives me hope one of them will draw Kyle again soon. It's a crime against fans to not bring Banks out of semi-retirement for something GL related.

EDIT: Also, let's not forget that most of these guys work was also benefiting from colors by MOOSE. He stuck with the franchise for YEARS and left sometime after Rebirth. He set a new standard in the way people color Lanterns and you just have to tip your hat for the guy.

~KL~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by -//V\\-; 01-15-2014 at 10:48 AM.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
EDIT: Also, let's not forget that most of these guys work was also benefiting from colors by MOOSE. He stuck with the franchise for YEARS and left sometime after Rebirth. He set a new standard in the way people color Lanterns and you just have to tip your hat for the guy.

~KL~
I totally agree with this, and thanks for pointing it out.
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I like offbeat stuff like Joe Staton and Pat Broderick. And I'm a fan of Banks, Pelletier and Eaglesham. But the best was probably Gil Kane inking his own pencils. When Joe Giella inked Kane, the lines were too thin. Giella was great for a sketchy type artist like Infantino.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #30
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

I did really like Broderick's stubbled grey templed Hal of early Vol 3 it gets the bronze behind, 1) Ivan Reis, and 2) Darryl Banks, honorable mention to EVS.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #31
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Broderick's work is really hit or miss for me. Sometimes his stuff looked incredible, and other times it was totally ugly. And his women were sometimes just unattractive when I think they were actually supposed to look good.

I feel the same way about Ethan Van Sciver, including the part about the women. Sometimes some of the stuff he does is really breathtaking, while other times it's either too noticeably off, or so overdone it becomes unappealing. He strikes me as the kind of person who primarily learned to draw looking at 90s comic books, and not really drawing from life. That's not necessarily bad, per se, but it can cause some drawbacks. He's obviously very skilled and can do impressive things, but then there are sometimes these massive flaws that seem like someone who has been drawing for as long as he has and at his level should have worked out by now.

From Broderick's period, I prefer M.D. Bright. I think he was more considerably more consistent and I like his general style more. And from Van Sciver's, I think Ivan Reis is an overall stronger artist.

I was looking at some of Daryl Banks' GL work again about last week and he really was incredible. One of the better Green Lantern artists, in my opinion. Pelletier was great, too.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #32
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I haven't ready too much GL before vol.4 but if I had to rank some of the artists from Johns run I would go:

1. Ethan Van Sciver
2. Ivan Reis
3. Carlos Pacheco
4. Shane Davis
5. Doug Mahnke
6. Phillip Tan
7. Mike McKone

Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 12-16-2015 at 02:51 PM.
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #33
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Shane Davis is pretty good I am picking up his creator owned book right now, and I am surprised I forgot about Pacheco, I love his work but don't initially think of him as a Green Lantern Artist, love Avengers Forever and his Superman/Batman arc. He doesn't break into my top 4 but is very good.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #34
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Shane Davis is pretty good I am picking up his creator owned book right now, and I am surprised I forgot about Pacheco, I love his work but don't initially think of him as a Green Lantern Artist, love Avengers Forever and his Superman/Batman arc. He doesn't break into my top 4 but is very good.
Yeah I really loved what Davis brought to GL in his short run.

And yeah Pacheco also had just a few issues on GL but I really enjoyed what he did and I'm a big fan of his Hal.

CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #35
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
Yeah I really loved what Davis brought to GL in his short run.

And yeah Pacheco also had just a few issues on GL but I really enjoyed what he did and I'm a big fan of his Hal.

That's some terrific art, I wasn't familiar with that artist before (definitely checking him out, thanks!).

There are so many great GL artists. I can't choose between Reis and Sciver. Mahnke was really good too, imo.

For the Corps, I'm a HUGE fan of Pasarin.

Please understand, I'm just now collecting the 80s and 90s GL comics, so I'm not as familiar, and I've not even started pre-80s.

KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #36
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Based on the original post, I agree, I think volume four has been the strongest overall as far as quality throughout the series, but a few Hall of Famers (Gil Kane, and Neal Adams, and Mike Grell) make the second volume a solid contender. The second volume suffers due to being around longer, offering more chances for less than top tier talent.

But Reis is awesome, EVS, and I like the mention of Shane Davis, despite the short time on the book. Pacheco was solid, and I got used to Mahnke, who is really good, just a drop off (to me) after those top three.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #37
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Based on the original post, I agree, I think volume four has been the strongest overall as far as quality throughout the series, but a few Hall of Famers (Gil Kane, and Neal Adams, and Mike Grell) make the second volume a solid contender. The second volume suffers due to being around longer, offering more chances for less than top tier talent.

But Reis is awesome, EVS, and I like the mention of Shane Davis, despite the short time on the book. Pacheco was solid, and I got used to Mahnke, who is really good, just a drop off (to me) after those top three.
I think Mahnke had some huge shoes to fill. Still, seeing his name on a GL or GLC trade sure doesn't deter me from buying. Same with Pat Gleason; neither are Reis or Sciver or Kane or Adams...but still very good imo, and more than worth checking out.

I'm just really getting into Shane's work, that guy has a LOT of talent!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #38
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
I think Mahnke had some huge shoes to fill. Still, seeing his name on a GL or GLC trade sure doesn't deter me from buying. Same with Pat Gleason; neither are Reis or Sciver or Kane or Adams...but still very good imo, and more than worth checking out.

I'm just really getting into Shane's work, that guy has a LOT of talent!
Gleason, to me, is highly underrated - he has a specific, stylized (not as 'realistic') look, but I like it. And he is one of the few really good modern artists with 'action' scenes, he can throw a sweet comic panel punch. A lost art with a lot of guys trying to draw mini non-action posters in every scene.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #39
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Gleason, to me, is highly underrated - he has a specific, stylized (not as 'realistic') look, but I like it. And he is one of the few really good modern artists with 'action' scenes, he can throw a sweet comic panel punch. A lost art with a lot of guys trying to draw mini non-action posters in every scene.
You make me think of Reis with the last (I do love his art, though). Gleason is far from a dealbreaker for me, really good artist. And of course I've seen lesser work from guys like Reis and Lee. It's just when they're completely ON (the early JL with Johns comes right to mind), I'm can't get enough. I am a heavy admirer of what Lee did with Batman, though I can't say the story thrilled me. That's one of the few novels I keep around just for the art.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #40
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Can we agree overall, Volume 5 is probably the worst?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #41
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I'm actually waiting for the 3rd Omnibus to come out in a couple of months (though I've been keeping up on the last few issues of GL and the annual). Tan isn't my favorite artist, but he's alright. I think his main problem is that some of the best ever GL artists preceeded him, and they were mostly INCREDIBLY good imo.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #42
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
I'm actually waiting for the 3rd Omnibus to come out in a couple of months (though I've been keeping up on the last few issues of GL and the annual). Tan isn't my favorite artist, but he's alright. I think his main problem is that some of the best ever GL artists preceeded him, and they were mostly INCREDIBLY good imo.
Oh, Tan's awful. Awful awful awful.

LOOK AT THE MASK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #43
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Oh, Tan's awful. Awful awful awful.

LOOK AT THE MASK!
No disrespect intended, I personally think that looks kind of bad ass.

But hey, I don't know anything, I'm a newbie.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #44
Lundonj

Quote:
To this point? Yeah, I can go with that. Worst to me in a string of really good runs isn't as bad as it sounds. And, while I think Tan isn't up in the realm of great GL artists, I don't hate him like some folks do. Pretty average at times, better on other pages.

I'm always careful about wishing an artist off a book, because I'm not sure if the one on the series will be better or worse.

For top ten DC book, I would think they would put a higher profile name in the hat or at least a new, up and coming artist.

-Don
Old 01-22-2016, 01:55 AM   #45
Lundonj

Quote:
You make me think of Reis with the last (I do love his art, though). Gleason is far from a dealbreaker for me, really good artist. And of course I've seen lesser work from guys like Reis and Lee. It's just when they're completely ON (the early JL with Johns comes right to mind), I'm can't get enough. I am a heavy admirer of what Lee did with Batman, though I can't say the story thrilled me. That's one of the few novels I keep around just for the art.
Jim Lee is a hall of famer for sure, but sometimes art cannot save a bad story. Sometimes. But Lee has certainly elevated some mediocre tales.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #46
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Jim Lee is a hall of famer for sure, but sometimes art cannot save a bad story. Sometimes. But Lee has certainly elevated some mediocre tales.
This is OT, but Lee's Harley variant for JL was my favorite cover for that month. I put in in my display case (I rotate out favorite or topical covers). He still has it as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #47
KilowogsDisciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
This is OT, but Lee's Harley variant for JL was my favorite cover for that month. I put in in my display case (I rotate out favorite or topical covers). He still has it as far as I'm concerned.
That variant was killer. So is Lee, imo. But Batman "Hush" really didn't make it for me storywise, despite perhaps the hottest Catwoman and Ivy ever (not a fan of Halle Berry).
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #48
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

As much of a GL fan as I am, I'm realizing how much I disliked most of the regular artists, pre "Nu52". I thought it was all so mediocre. Stanton and Bright in paricular just really didn't do it for me. (and yes, Gibbon too) The "Tales of the GLC" had more interesting art most of the time (and yes, Gibbon too with Hollika Rahn)

I was so happy that Hal came back under the hands of EVS, Pacheco, Reis and Mahnke.. Tan sucked, but things are looking up now so...
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote