X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
    Birds of Prey teaser:

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Really not to see in this teaser. It looks like it's the first day of shooting and WB/DC is just letting everyone know.

Also, not a fan of Harley's look in the video, nor the look of Huntress in the quick shots.
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• 'The Passage' Producer Matt Reeves on Netflix's Theatrical Plans and His "Noir Batman"
      So, Batman. Tell us about your take.

It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.

Do you have a title yet?

(Laughs.) Right now it’s called The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don’t know.

Have you begun the casting process?

There will be a Rogues Gallery. The casting process will begin shortly. We're starting to put together our battle plan. I'm doing another pass on the script and we'll begin some long-lead stuff to start developing conceptual things.

What's your goal as far as a release date?

We haven't been dated. I wouldn't commit to this, but we're thinking the movie would probably be for 2021, late spring or summer. Warner Bros. has been incredibly supportive and given me a lot of time and shared the same passion that I do for this story.

How involved are you with the other films in the DC universe, be it Harley Quinn or Batgirl?

Right now, I'm involved in The Batman. What it will be called ultimately, I don't know. Aquaman is going to be very different from the Todd Phillips Joker movie, and that's going to be different from Shazam and Harley Quinn. Warners believes they don't have to try to develop a giant slate that has to have all the plans for how it's going to connect. What they need to try and do is make good movies with these characters.
      'The Batman,' 'The Suicide Squad' Set 2021 Release Dates
      Warner Bros. is staking out dates for some of its tentpoles, including a slew of DC films.

A newly announced film called DC Super Pets will open on May 21, 2021, followed later that summer by Matt Reeves' The Batman on June 25, 2021 and The Suicide Squad on Aug. 6, 2021. In the meantime, DC fans won't have to wait as long to see Doctor Sleep, which is moving up from Jan. 24, 2020, to Nov. 8, 2019.

DC Super Pets is from directors Jared Stern and Sam Levine and producer Patty Hicks. Based, in part on the 1962 concept of the “Legion of Super-Pets,” DC Super-Pets started life as a children’s publishing series from Capstone Publishers combining the pets of a number of DC superheroes (including Superman’s dog Krypto, Batman’s dog Ace The Bat-Hound, and Supergirl’s pet cat, Streaky) into a crime-fighting team of their own. Outside of the Capstone series, the property also appeared as a short on Cartoon Network’s DC Nation animated block.

The Suicide Squad is a sequel to 2016's Suicide Squad, and has Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn penning the script.

Reeves' The Batman has been one of the most closely watched superhero movies in development. Ben Affleck is the most recent actor to play the Dark Knight in movies such as Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) and Justice League (2017), but his future as the character has been in doubt since July 2017, when sources told The Hollywood Reporter he was unlikely to continue on in the role after Justice League. On Wednesday with the announcement of The Batman release date, Affleck shared a tweet that THR has confirmed is him saying goodbye to the role.

"Excited for #TheBatman in Summer 2021 and to see @MattReevesLA vision come to life," Affleck wrote.

In an interview published before the news broke Wednesday, Reeves laid out his vision for The Batman, telling THR: "It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional."

Reeves also said it will be Batman "more in his detective mode than we've seen in the films."

In other changes to its release calendar, the studio dated Robert Zemeckis' The Witches, starring Anne Hathaway, for Oct. 16., 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
        [B]"Excited for #TheBatman in Summer 2021 and to see @MattReevesLA vision come to life," Affleck wrote.
        To be clear he was quoting an article that said he was passing the torch:

Comment

• THR: James Gunn in Talks to Direct 'Suicide Squad' Sequel
          James Gunn is returning to the director’s chair.

Gunn, who was fired from helming the third installment in his Guardians of the Galaxy franchise, is in negotiations to direct the second Suicide Squad film, the follow-up to the Warner Bros. 2016 hit that featured DC Comics anti-heroes as the leads.

The move is not entirely unexpected as Gunn was already writing the script for the sequel, which Warner Bros. just slotted for a August 2021 release.

The dealmaking does, however, solidify that the new Suicide Squad film will be his next directorial effort. Disney fired Gunn from his Marvel franchise in July after old tweets from 2008 and 2009 resurfaced in which he made insensitive and controversial jokes.

The pic has the title of The Suicide Squad and is not being labeled a direct sequel but as a relaunch.
          The 2016 original movie featured the characters Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc, who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter prison sentences.

Sources say that Gunn’s focus is to take the franchise in a new direction with a mostly all-new cast of characters and actors. Sources also say that the project is also very much rooted in Gunn’s vibe, as seen in the Guardians movies.

Charles Roven and Peter Safran will produce the feature. Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder are acting as executive producers.

Gunn is repped by UTA, the Safran Company and Frankfurt Kurnit.

Comment

• ^Cool.

Comment

• The Batman, The Suicide Squad. So the DCEU becomes the DCtheU?

Comment

• + YouTube Video
                ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• RUMOR: WARNER BROS. DEVELOPING ANIMATED ‘BATMAN BEYOND’ MOVIE FOR THEATRICAL RELEASE

Comment

• ^ Yeah, I figured WB would look into developing a "Batman Beyond" animated feature film after the success of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse." Although, the first couple of episodes of Batman Beyond it pretty much just that; an animated film.

I suppose they'll adapt it and use modern 3D animation.
                    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• I'm not even a big BB fan, but I would welcome that.

Comment

• Seems to have been debunked.

Also when WB was courting James Gunn they reportedly offered him Superman as well.

Comment

• So they still don't know what to do. Gunn on Superman would have been a horrible fit.

Comment

• Gunn on Suicide Squad 2 actually makes sense. Its one franchise where a crappy movie doesn't mean the next one has to reboot. Just move on with new members and make a better movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                              So they still don't know what to do. Gunn on Superman would have been a horrible fit.
                              Agreed.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                              Gunn on Suicide Squad 2 actually makes sense. Its one franchise where a crappy movie doesn't mean the next one has to reboot. Just move on with new members and make a better movie.
                              Agreed except there's no particular need to reboot the team. And it would be naive to expect them to drop Harley in an SS movie.

Comment

• I think of it like Star Trek TMP and Star Trek II. The first one was a dud that didn't get over. So they reworked it instead of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. New uniforms, more military feel, find a great story and movie on. No need to say the previous movie DIDN'T happen. Suicide Squad strikes me as very similar. Recast a few roles, bring in a few new villains to be on the team, great new story and you're off to the races.

BTW, Suicide Squad vol 8: Legerdemain (59-66) comes out May 15th. That's the final trade for the classic Ostrander run of Suicide Squad. I have been buying the trades, though I didn't have the heart to part with my original issues when I sold off a lot of my collection. Too nostalgic for me to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
                                X