The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Unresolved Green Lantern/GLC plot threads?

What are some you can think of? Here's what I can remember not seeing any kind of resolution...

1. The 10 New Laws in the Book of Oa from after the Sinestro Corps War. If I recall, there was #1: Lethal Force is Authorized Against just the Sinestro Corps. And then, #2: Lethal Force is Authorized Against All Enemies of the Green Lantern Corps (which sort of nullifies the first law). I think there was a third but I don't remember what it was, but that was it.

2. Cowgirl, Hal's girlfriend. Where'd she go?

3. Evil Star. He was teased heavily early in Geoff's run on Vol. 4, then later seen in a bit of a retcon that showed him being responsible for the tweaking of the Shark and Black Hand's powers. His return was nigh... but then... nothing.

4. The Black Entity. First it was thought to be inside Black Hand... but then it was said that Black Hand was the Black Entity (which is weird... where was it before he was born?). But to my recollection we've neither seen anything of it or received better clarification.

5. Sodam Yat's final Green Lantern days. He went off in space in Emerald Warriors with Zardor, who was mind-controlling him. Next he was recently seen in GLC back on Daxam, no longer a member of the Green Lantern Corps. What happened?

6. Sinestro killing Kyle's mom. Not one word has been spoken about it since Sinestro dropped the bombshell in the Sinestro Corps War special. And Kyle and Sinestro have encountered each other a few times since then.

7. Kraken. She was made into an Alpha Lantern, possessed by Granny Goodness in Final Crisis, and defeated. But not killed... just never seen ever again. What happened to her? And while we're on the subject, what's the status of Raker, the other GL assigned to Apokolips?

8. Justice League of America #0, the last volume. Who is Hal marrying? Will we ever know?

I'm positive there's more but that's all I can think of now. Can you think of other big ones?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What are some you can think of? Here's what I can remember not seeing any kind of resolution...

1. The 10 New Laws in the Book of Oa from after the Sinestro Corps War. If I recall, there was #1: Lethal Force is Authorized Against just the Sinestro Corps. And then, #2: Lethal Force is Authorized Against All Enemies of the Green Lantern Corps (which sort of nullifies the first law). I think there was a third but I don't remember what it was, but that was it.
I think they stopped with Law #3, which was no relationships between GL's and they changed their mind on that one.

Quote:
4. The Black Entity. First it was thought to be inside Black Hand... but then it was said that Black Hand was the Black Entity (which is weird... where was it before he was born?). But to my recollection we've neither seen anything of it or received better clarification.
I think Nekron is supposed to be the actual entity and Black Hand is just what allows him to be.

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
I think Nekron is supposed to be the actual entity and Black Hand is just what allows him to be.
No, they directly said he's not the Black Entity. And that'd be weird, anyway, as he'd be like the only self-aware talking entity.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Black Hand is the entity. As for what happened before Black Hand was born, it could easily be said that he's been that in his previous lives.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
sundrop
Fatality's Blacksmith

What was up with Scarabs attacking Odym (Blue Lantern Homeworld)? Did they go on to the next planet, still there, or did they get pushed back? Seems like that plot got dropped when Blue Beetle New52 was cancelled.

What happened with the New God who was tempted by Sinestro's yellow ring?
sundrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #6
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
5. Sodam Yat's final Green Lantern days. He went off in space in Emerald Warriors with Zardor, who was mind-controlling him. Next he was recently seen in GLC back on Daxam, no longer a member of the Green Lantern Corps. What happened?
He got abducted and imprisoned by the Durlans. Once freed, he chose to stay on Daxam, because his leaving is what brought the Durlans' attention to his planet, where the Durlans committed genocide on the Daxamites.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
He got abducted and imprisoned by the Durlans. Once freed, he chose to stay on Daxam, because his leaving is what brought the Durlans' attention to his planet, where the Durlans committed genocide on the Daxamites.
But what happened to Zardor? He just let them take Sodam Yat away? Or maybe he traded Sodam to the Durlans in exchange for something... there's a story in this we're just not getting.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
7. Kraken. She was made into an Alpha Lantern, possessed by Granny Goodness in Final Crisis, and defeated. But not killed... just never seen ever again. What happened to her? And while we're on the subject, what's the status of Raker, the other GL assigned to Apokolips?
I was just thinking about this again today. Has there been anything on this?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #9
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

In Superboy #47 (Jan '98), Kyle and Superboy fight off "Pele" and Silver Sword. Silver Sword eventually turns against the deity (or whoever it was) and proclaims that she wasn't the real Pele since she was acting evil. To my knowledge, we never got any further info on who this character was.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Remember when John was given internalized power and the ability to walk again just before Hal/Parallax died in Final Night? I wonder if that was always meant to be super short-term or if there were other plans for John Stewart at that point in time?

Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Remember when John was given internalized power and the ability to walk again just before Hal/Parallax died in Final Night? I wonder if that was always meant to be super short-term or if there were other plans for John Stewart at that point in time?

If anyone gave a hoot it'd be a hell of a thing to see that power taken away.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah they crippled John twice didn't they?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:17 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I remember once. I think. But I just mean that even now, he's walking simply because of Parallax-given power. That's still in there. And technically so is the reason that Ollie is still alive. Both walking on Parallax power.

That could be a whole story.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nah, my brain can't accept that. I think Hal repaired the damage to John's spine so it's a done deal.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Nah, my brain can't accept that. I think Hal repaired the damage to John's spine so it's a done deal.
Per the Hand of God (Ion 1.0) story that ended in GL#150 Kyle removed the residual energy on John's spine in issue #147. I just wonder if John getting the power was ever going to go anywhere other than the one scene in Emerald Knights.

Andrew's got a point though... Ollie Queen might still have some P-lax in him....

And if you bring in the issues of GL vol. 4.... Barry Allen and later post DC Rebirth Superman have both been 'touched' by Parallax energy actually becoming Parallax short-term.

Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

IS/WAS CAROL FERRIS PREGNANT WITH KYLE RAYNER'S BABY?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #17
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
IS/WAS CAROL FERRIS PREGNANT WITH KYLE RAYNER'S BABY?
Why would you remind me of this. Why.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #18
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Because it was the best thing of 2017!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #19
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

Quote:
I remember once. I think. But I just mean that even now, he's walking simply because of Parallax-given power. That's still in there. And technically so is the reason that Ollie is still alive. Both walking on Parallax power.

That could be a whole story.
There is a "rather bad" Judd Winnick Green Lantern issue that informs us that John couldn't walk because of psychological trauma that Judd Winnick invented on the spot... so no, it didn't have to do that planet that blew up. It had to do with some dead sister. John got over it that very issue and started walking. His back was actually perfectly healthy, John just imposed not being able to walk upon himself in his mind.

So that was resolved, it was just silly. I believe his back actually did get broken in his battle with Grayven, but Hal healed it up so it was as good as new. Ron Marz and/or Kevin Dooley didn't like that, so he had John go back to the wheelchair due to saving Kyle from Fatality by blasting the Parallax energy at her and thus relinquishing it. But according to the Winnick comic, John was still physically able to walk at that time. He just... didn't want to deep down in his head.

The biggest unresolved GL plot thread I can think of is who sent the Corps into the past during Lost Army, why did they do it, and why was Krona there? We didn't get answers to any of that.

This isn't unresolved, but I wish I had asked Len Wein what his original plan for Mr. Smith and the Predator was, because I'm almost certain it isn't what Steve Englehart came up with. I asked him questions on a con panel before, but I didn't think to mention that, and I regret it.

I during an online Q and A I did ask Cullen Bunn about those Lost Army questions, and I'm almost certain he intentionally blew me off, which slightly offended me. The Q and A was geared mostly toward webcomic creators, so I guess he didn't feel like answering such specific questions about Lost Army, plus I get the impression that whatever went on with him and that title's abrupt cancellation was kind of messy behind the scenes. But I felt I needed to ask, because I knew that I would otherwise NEVER know. Looks like he is going to take those secrets to his grave. We may never know.
Oh well...

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-23-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
There is a "rather bad" Judd Winnick Green Lantern issue that informs us that John couldn't walk because of psychological trauma that Judd Winnick invented on the spot... so no, it didn't have to do that planet that blew up. It had to do with some dead sister. John got over it that very issue and started walking. His back was actually perfectly healthy, John just imposed not being able to walk upon himself in his mind.

So that was resolved, it was just silly. I believe his back actually did get broken in his battle with Grayven, but Hal healed it up so it was as good as new. Ron Marz and/or Kevin Dooley didn't like that, so he had John go back to the wheelchair due to saving Kyle from Fatality by blasting the Parallax energy at her and thus relinquishing it. But according to the Winnick comic, John was still physically able to walk at that time. He just... didn't want to deep down in his head.

The biggest unresolved GL plot thread I can think of is who sent the Corps into the past during Lost Army, why did they do it, and why was Krona there? We didn't get answers to any of that.

This isn't unresolved, but I wish I had asked Len Wein what his original plan for Mr. Smith and the Predator was, because I'm almost certain it isn't what Steve Englehart came up with. I asked him questions on a con panel before, but I didn't think to mention that, and I regret it.

I during an online Q and A I did ask Cullen Bunn about those Lost Army questions, and I'm almost certain he intentionally blew me off, which slightly offended me. The Q and A was geared mostly toward webcomic creators, so I guess he didn't feel like answering such specific questions about Lost Army, plus I get the impression that whatever went on with him and that title's abrupt cancellation was kind of messy behind the scenes. But I felt I needed to ask, because I knew that I would otherwise NEVER know. Looks like he is going to take those secrets to his grave. We may never know.
Oh well...
I feel you. Many a question of mine has been brushed off at a panel.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Yep. John went from injured and crippled, to healed, to crippled again, to the whole thing being in his head.

The obvious genesis of that stuff was that a faction at DC led by Jenette Kahn wanted no other Lanterns around who might compete with Kyle.

And my, how things have changed since then -- with the pendulum swinging back much too far in the other direction! When Geoff got his hands on the reins, it became, "Here a Corps, there a Corps, everywhere a Corps, Corps!"

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-23-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And not only that, but "Here a Lantern, there a Lantern, everywhere a Lantern, Lantern!"
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:01 AM   #23
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

And everyone a Lantern, Lantern, too.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #24
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Per the Hand of God (Ion 1.0) story that ended in GL#150 Kyle removed the residual energy on John's spine in issue #147. I just wonder if John getting the power was ever going to go anywhere other than the one scene in Emerald Knights.

Andrew's got a point though... Ollie Queen might still have some P-lax in him....

And if you bring in the issues of GL vol. 4.... Barry Allen and later post DC Rebirth Superman have both been 'touched' by Parallax energy actually becoming Parallax short-term.

"Touched by Parallax" sounds like a Lifetime movie.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #25
jhpace1
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:

3. Evil Star. He was teased heavily early in Geoff's run on Vol. 4, then later seen in a bit of a retcon that showed him being responsible for the tweaking of the Shark and Black Hand's powers. His return was nigh... but then... nothing.

I'm positive there's more but that's all I can think of now. Can you think of other big ones?
The Green Lantern #2 in 2018 seems to have resolved this. Evil Star captured, his power drained, making him an old man again, in order to give a new power to the Darkstars to make them Blackstars?
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote