The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
View Poll Results: Rate GL #67
* 7 11.67%
** 9 15.00%
*** 11 18.33%
**** 15 25.00%
***** 18 30.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 AM   #176
Lantern Flygon
Kyle's Nude Model

First of all, great analysis evercharmer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evercharmer View Post
I think he wanted his last act to be a heroic one, and even if he was going to die, he'd be damned if he wouldn't get that final grace. Because he wasn't wearing the yellow ring that had become his emotional crutch, all there was in the action was his willpower without the taint of fear, and that was more than enough for a ring to find him when he was about to be killed. It's clear when he gets the ring he doesn't expect it, and seems kind of shell shocked for a moment.
I thought this too. Sinestro always seemed like the type to jump at the first opportunity for glory. He did so for the white entity similarly. But I think in this case he was sincere in his attempt to stop Krona, and was willing to lose his life at least for a great cause.

Quote:
When all's said and done and the respective corps leaders are getting their rings back (remember Krona had them all) Sinestro's ring just zips on by and away. He notices it and says, "My ring!" but instead of going after it like you'd think he would he just goes to looking at the green ring he's wearing while everyone around him is saying what the fuck. When Hal tells him to take it off he ignores him, and he ignores the Guardians talking too until they dismiss Hal, at which point he says, "Jordan?" but I can't tell if he's actually addressing Hal or talking to himself. Either way, his posture makes me think he turned to him.
To me he looked pretty unsure whether to feel overjoyed or horrified. (Probably both, considering the solicits for GL#2, he's got quite a handful of problems already) It appears to mean a whole lot to him to wear the green again, particularly when he nearly cried in GL#65 over it. I actually thought it was rather poignant that he was so out of it, just gazing with awe at the ring. And for once he isn't being his smarmy, arrogant self, which says A LOT in this issue.

Quote:
Shit, this issue was about a hundred times better than I thought it was in the first place, and I thought it a damn good conclusion to begin with. Fuck the haters, this is gold.
Too true. Everyone's all up in arms about Hal being kicked out and Sinestro being reinstated into the corps... So overreacting! All the haters need to give it chance! Sinestro's a fantastic character, and Geoff Johns has done wonders with him. Who knows? It may be phenomenal.
Lantern Flygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 AM   #177
Thaal Jordan
Green Lantern Initiate

Before anything else, I'm not really the type who says "I called it" or "I told you so" because you don't really win anything anyway except bragging rights who no one truly gives a shit about. But in this case, I really just have to get this off my chest. IN YOUR FACE BITCHES! I mean seriously, I've been saying all along that it's Hal who's gonna be gone because as I have also been saying all along, all the freaking hints, clues and teases are so fucking easy to add up. The answer was practically staring everyone in the face but some of the people here just won't believe for some reason or another. I felt like I was in the movie The Prestige here the entire time I was telling people it's Hal. I'm trying to tell the simple and obvious secret to The Transporting Man trick and people are acting like Hugh Jackman's character and not wanting to believe it because as the movie states, "people want to be fooled".

Now about Sinestro being a GL again, why the fuck are some people acting that it's already as simple as that? That the Guardians would simply say "Ok, Sinestro, since there's now a sudden vacancy for Sector 2814, and you now have a GL ring, this seems like a no-brainer to me. You're HIRED!" That's what the freaking AFTERMATH is for! At least wait the fuck for it to play out before over-reacting and spouting nonsense. And one important thing to remember here is that Sinestro didn't really want to leave the GLC all those years ago but he was "expelled" from it. He thought he was doing the right thing but others didn't see it that way so he was expelled and banished. I personally see it going as, since the Guardians (and even Sinestro himself) now realize that Sinestro still truly wants to be with the GLC even after all these years, they would re-instate him on the basis of some form of exchange or deal. Like disbanding the Sinestro Corps or something along those lines. Also, the Guardians would actually hit two birds with one stone with Sinestro being a GL again. Not only will they get rid of one of the biggest thorns in their side for who knows how long, but they'll also turn that thorn back into something useful for them. Let's not forget Sinestro also used to be "The Greatest GL" at one time, and he still probably could be again now that he's given another chance.

Now about the Guardians being unreasonable for booting out Hal, why the fuck are people still surprised that the Guardians over-reacted and made ANOTHER unreasonable decision and saying that it doesn't make sense? The Guardians have been portrayed as ones who make unreasonable, non-sensical and over-reacting decisions and laws since Geoff Johns run, so for people to still be surprised about it is truly the only thing that doesn't make any sense to me. It's like saying "What that retarded child did doesn't make any sense!" WTF?

Last edited by Thaal Jordan; 07-15-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Thaal Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #178
Cyberium
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I am not sure if I like the ending, mainly due to Hal Jordan was able to kill Krona, who at the time has the power of a guardian and seven rings on his finger. How did that even happen? Back on Earth Hal had his butt handed to him.

The other being that the entities and seven representatives gathering together became kind of pointless. The arch started with all entities on earth (huh) and required the big seven to take part in gathering them and defeating the villain behind all this. Yet, in the end it's entirely just Green Lanterns fighting within themselves, with six of the big seven out of the picture. I was hoping for other Corps to involve and battle Green Lanterns and thus break the truce between them, layout for future strife.

Sinestro becoming a GL is within prediction. I am more curious to how his corps will survive this... betrayal? No doubt his loyal corpsmen would look upon this change with major frown. Judging from the New Guardians #1 it's possible that truce was still enforced and Kyle somehow lead the major players. If (seeing the shadow of) Arkillo is following Kyle then there has to be another capable person handling the Sinestro Corps while two of its bid daddies aren't present.

Cyberium of Sector 614, you foresee great HOPE in our future.
Cyberium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #179
Thaal Jordan
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I knew someone would say that and almost mentioned it. I'm sure that is what they'll rely on, but the problem is (1) that's not what they said and (2) what's written in the book clearly refers to stuff beyond itself. So what's the difference between relating it directly to the book or not? Why would it work any better just because it directly involves the book?
The difference here is that the method Kyle used only works on persons who are physically trapped in the book. We have seen that whatever the trapped person experiences inside the book is created as an image within the pages of the Book as clearly seen in this issue and on GL #66. Heck, Sinestro almost made it out of the Book all by himself through sheer Will alone until Krona burned the last page he was in to prevent him from escaping. So no, simply drawing anything in the Book will not make it happen UNLESS the person being drawn is physically inside the Book. So if Kyle drew Atrocitus taking a piss on Sinestro, then the two of them will instantly be transported to that page and will be experiencing the said R. Kelly moment. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by Thaal Jordan; 07-15-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Thaal Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #180
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjread View Post
I don't get all you peeps not understanding why Hal was banned....it had nothing to do with good or evil.

Hal killed a Guardian which was supposed to be impossible USING A GL RING, because there was a fail-safe in the ring that would stop it from happening (similar to how the ring would stop when trying to take any life prior to the law permitting it). But Hal's will was SO strong he was able to override that fail-safe (due to the fact that Krona was evil and he saw it as completely necessary). Though he was the hero, he became the "Most Dangerous GL" because he was able to use the Guardian's own weapon to kill them. They were afraid/outraged and could not let that continue.
funny how this reaction wasnt present when John killed Appa Ali Apsa using *his* Ring.......

Quote:
John killed Mogo out of necessity, but more poignantly he killed a Corps member which there was no fail-safe against. There will be consequences of that action but I don't think it was deserving of kicking him out.
well, to be honest I think John couldve tried to 'port his Ring away b4 he went for the snipe, but thats just me..........

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #181
bjread
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

funny how this reaction wasnt present when John killed Appa Ali Apsa using *his* Ring.......

Tazer
I thought about this....but at that time there was nothing in the ring yo stop them from killing at all, correct? Also, maybe they took a new stance on killing Guardians post ET when they really were in fear of being destroyed. I know a lot of this is retcon, but could also be attributed to their reaction to ET & Hal/Parallax episode. Maybe that's why they've been so much different post-Rebirth.
bjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #182
bjread
Hal's Understudy

Anyone consider the plot point that maybe Sinestro has changed. He us now overcoming great fear rather than instilling great fear. Hence why a green ring found him but his yellow ring passed him over. His abilities/motivations have changed.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #183
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
He us now overcoming great fear rather than instilling great fear.
Those are not mutually exclusive, and Sinestro's always been able to overcome fear.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #184
Vaegrin
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
In my honest opinion, one of the truest statements I've ever heard. =)
If that's true, fine, but even the most powerful superhero in the universe needs to be capable of losing and failing in order to be interesting. I think the obsessive building up of Hal does a disservice to the other Green Lanterns, especially Guy, and I think it does a disservice to Hal.
Vaegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #185
Vaegrin
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Those are not mutually exclusive, and Sinestro's always been able to overcome fear.
And that is one of the flaws in the way that the yellow rings work.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #186
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

I still don't care Krona being 'guardian.' Part of me wants to be indenial and say the krona we've seen is a crazy fake and the real one is still a world soul.

Don't care also for the one beam death of Krona. Although I'm thinking Krona planted his death only to come back for somereason to be revealed in next years event.

I'm still left wondering what the other corps were doing all this time. Star Sapphires know it's Krona, and lost contact with their Queen; and the Blue lanterns are missing their team leader while not having either of their guardians. Don't tell me they went to a pub and Hoped for it to blow over.

I'm wondering what will come out of Zardor and the Weaponer, as those characters were better characters than what the 'war' gave. Would be interesting if the Weaponer happens to gain Sinestro's ring and becomes leader though.

Hal losing his ring wasn't a surprise, but I thought somehow Guy would be the reason since he said they wouldn't be buddies anymore; which I now assume will be later down the line when Hal becomes a rebel down the line.

I liked how they gave Kyle something to do since he hasn't done anything yet. Wish they would've used the green power glove more though. Would've made more sense if they killed Krona with that really, cause as of right now it has too many plot threads to go over [which is to be expected with Johns].

I just feel really bad for Mogo though, I mean when a character like that dies it should really be in a better story.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #187
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
And that is one of the flaws in the way that the yellow rings work.
Huh?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #188
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

I woulda thought that the Guardians wouldn't have been so pissed at Hal for taking out Krona. he was bad news all the way around and Hal did the dirty work for the Guardians...they didn't have to get their lil blues paws dirty on this. A medal should have been in order..even though they obviously fear him because he broke some protocol the rings have for being unable to off a Guardian but nooooo...he gets ejected from the team. Should be interesting how this will unfold now...and how long will Sinestro keep the green Power ring?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #189
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Exactly. See Bruce Wayne.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #190
Vaegrin
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Huh?
I have several issues with the way the yellow power is designed, but in this context I was referring to the disconnect between the yellow ringbearers and the emotion they supposedly wield.

Every other color is actually powered by something within the user. Not yellow. Whether Sinestro is scary has less to do with anything within him than with how other people respond to him.

In other words, Sinestro's ability to wield the yellow power isn't actually related to any special connection on his part with the emotion that supposedly powers his ring. So what makes Sinestro special as a wielder of yellow power? Why is he more qualified to wield the power of fear than any other villain? The Joker, for example, or Doomsday? Take the power ring away, and either one of them is scarier than Sinestro.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #191
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Once upon a time, though, didn't the Sinestro Corps members have to power up their rings for the first time with their OWN fear? I thought I recalled something about them getting stuck in some pods or something and facing their own fears to ignite the ring? Must have been YEARS ago, though, which means it is anybody's guess whether it has any relevance at all these days....
Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #192
bjread
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
I disagree. He embraced fear, embraced to its power.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #193
bjread
Hal's Understudy

I think another issue that is overlooked from thus issue is Sinestro's emotional change. Look at the panels where Hal is conversing with Krona. Something changes in Sinestro based on overhearing it. It's hard to tell exactly what as Mahnke draws a HORRIBLE Sinestro (and Hal for that matter). But there was definitely growth there.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #194
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I think another issue that is overlooked from thus issue is Sinestro's emotional change. Look at the panels where Hal is conversing with Krona. Something changes in Sinestro based on overhearing it. It's hard to tell exactly what as Mahnke draws a HORRIBLE Sinestro (and Hal for that matter). But there was definitely growth there.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #195
Sandor_Clegane
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Every other color is actually powered by something within the user. Not yellow. Whether Sinestro is scary has less to do with anything within him than with how other people respond to him.
If people respond with fear, then that's what's being instilled in them. Going with the concept of the yellow light / instilling fear, that means Sinestro does indeed instill fear in his enemies.

At the same time, that does not mean he instills more fear than anyone else.

Quote:
So what makes Sinestro special as a wielder of yellow power? Why is he more qualified to wield the power of fear than any other villain?
It's his mission / crusade to govern the universe through fear. He has 3 innate qualities we've seen over and over that speak to his ability to complete that mission:

1. The sheer will power quotient necessary to be a powerful Green Lantern.

2. The ability to master the power of fear, and

3. Off the charts leadership ability; Sinestro generates obedience from just about everyone around him.

Put simply, Sinestro is born to lead, bred to win.
Sandor_Clegane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #196
evercharmer
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Flygon View Post
First of all, great analysis evercharmer!

I thought this too. Sinestro always seemed like the type to jump at the first opportunity for glory. He did so for the white entity similarly. But I think in this case he was sincere in his attempt to stop Krona, and was willing to lose his life at least for a great cause.
Well, that would be a less depressing explanation, so I already like it. But I still think he'd reason the likelihood it working was very slim. I'm remembering that panel in Secret Origins where he told Hal that falling back was not cowardice, but maybe he just thought he wouldn't have time, and Krona would have killed Hal by the time he'd figured something else out?

Quote:
To me he looked pretty unsure whether to feel overjoyed or horrified. (Probably both, considering the solicits for GL#2, he's got quite a handful of problems already) It appears to mean a whole lot to him to wear the green again, particularly when he nearly cried in GL#65 over it. I actually thought it was rather poignant that he was so out of it, just gazing with awe at the ring. And for once he isn't being his smarmy, arrogant self, which says A LOT in this issue.
Yeah. I also think that when he looks over to Hal when he's discharged, even more than seeing him somewhat surprised (behind still being stunned over having this ring) is that we're supposed to see how green his eyes are, when he's not even using the ring. Maybe that's why I was convinced at first he was keeping it?

Quote:
Too true. Everyone's all up in arms about Hal being kicked out and Sinestro being reinstated into the corps... So overreacting! All the haters need to give it chance! Sinestro's a fantastic character, and Geoff Johns has done wonders with him. Who knows? It may be phenomenal.
Pretty much. And as much as it's pretentious when people are all 'it's 2deep4u, lol,' I get the feeling that some of the people loudest about their dislike really aren't looking at it closely. One could argue that comic books are only meant to be throwaway entertainment still, but that's just their loss I think.

As far as this stuff about how the yellow rings work differently, the users do have to embrace their own fears. In the first Tales of the Sinestro Corps (GL 18) Lyssa Drak explains to Amon Sur that he'll sit in a 'fear lodge' until he can embrace his own fear to power his ring. In GL 20 He gives the fear he's collected to the Book of Parallax and it 'leaves him to spark his own', at which time the fear lodge opens for him to climb in with his ring. Lyssa Drak tells him that he'll "Turn it against those that would stop us," when he masters it.

So basically, they do run off of the user's fear and really aren't any different from the other rings in that respect.
evercharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #197
JC777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Good review. I'm surprised neither of you have mentioned how much of a deus ex machina Kyle's drawing was. And if whatever's in the book is bound to happen, why not make it easy and draw Krona already dead, the entities safely captured, and the prisoners free?
BEST. POST. EVER.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #198
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Awesomest vid ever.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #199
IonFan
Forum Member

i f'ing love it, 5*, i now understand why Sin. got the ring, i loved how Hal killed Krona, i do hate what the GoftheU did because of it (HE'S SAVED THE DCU HOW MANY TIMES NOW ), i do wonder what happened to the entities after they were freed but oh well

forgot to add can't wait to see how Hal gets a ring in the new DCnU

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump

Last edited by IonFan; 07-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #200
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i enjoyed this issue alot. what really amazed me was at the end of the book when the guardians took away hals ring and sinestro says jordan? as if he was almost upset that hal is being discharged from the corps.

im really interested to see how sinestros actions will affect the next few books

5 out of 5 for me

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote