Box Office Predictions/Results Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3327&p=.htm

While franchise titles did claim the top three spots at the box office this weekend, it wound up being a very mixed frame for sequels. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked both tallied solid grosses, though they were notably down from their predecessors. On the other hand, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol had a robust start in limited release. Even with all of these established brands entering the marketplace, the Top 12 wound up down roughly 13 percent from the same period last year.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows opened to an estimated $40.02 million, which is way down from the original Sherlock Holmes's $62.3 million over Christmas weekend in 2009. In what could be an even more concerning comparison, the movie wound up lower than Tron Legacy's $44 million start at the same time last year. That's shocking, considering Game of Shadows opened just two years after a well-received original while Tron hit theaters 28 years after a first movie that wasn't even widely available on DVD or Blu-ray until after Legacy's release. Distributor Warner Bros. Pictures is reporting that the audience was 59 percent male and 50 percent under the age of 35, and that it received an "A-" CinemaScore.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked debuted to an estimated $23.5 million, or less than half of The Squeakquel's $48.9 million. It was also significantly off from the first Alvin's $44.3 million. Distributor 20th Century Fox reports that the audience was 54 percent female and 53 percent under the age of 25. The movie earned a "B+" CinemaScore.

Both Sherlock and Alvin struggled to live up to franchise standards this weekend, albeit for different reasons. The marketing for Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows never sufficiently differentiated the movie from its predecessor. While the ads did often briefly mention Holmes's conflict with Professor Moriarty, the focus was mainly put on the slow-motion action and Holmes-Watson banter that were trademarks of the first movie. While that movie is generally well-liked, it probably doesn't have the sort of rabid fan base that will eagerly turn out for more of same, which seemed to bear out this weekend.

In comparison, 20th Century Fox did a great job showing that Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked had a unique premise (the Chipmunks get stranded on a desert island) in comparison to the first two movies. Regardless of how interesting the premise is, though, the Alvin and the Chipmunks series probably isn't looked upon fondly by most adults. While usually this wouldn't be a huge problem, the generally poor performance of family movies lately indicates that parents are probably being far more judicious in deciding what movies they will take their children to.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol was the one bright spot at the box office this weekend. Opening at just 425 locations, Ghost Protocol earned an estimated $13 million for an impressive per-theater average of $30,588. That tops Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason ($8.7 million) for highest-grossing limited debut ever (fewer than 600 theaters). Ghost Protocol's 300 IMAX locations contributed an estimated $11 million, and it's $36,667 average was slightly better than that of Inception ($36,548) or Fast Five ($32,787). Of course both of those movies were in nationwide and IMAX release simultaneously, though it still serves to highlight the strong numbers from the fourth Mission: Impossible movie.

By releasing the movie five days early in IMAX and consistently pushing the format's immersive benefits, distributor Paramount Pictures managed to at least initially turn Ghost Protocol in to an event movie that demands to be seen on the big screen. It probably didn't hurt that a six-minute prologue for The Dark Knight Rises was attached at around 42 locations, though that also isn't a large-enough sample to solely account for the above-average performance. It's tough to say for sure if Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol's success will continue when it makes its nationwide expansion on Wednesday, but for the time being the movie appears to be in very good shape.

Last weekend's leaders didn't fare too well in their second outing. New Year's Eve dropped 43 percent to an estimated $7.4 million for a 10-day total of $24.8 million, while The Sitter plummeted 55 percent to $4.4 million for a total of $17.7 million.

After a decent week in limited release, Young Adult expanded to 986 locations and earned an estimated $3.65 million. That's not a very encouraging figure, but Young Adult also isn't the type of movie that's designed to open big anyway. A solid long-run target now looks to be director Jason Reitman's first movie, Thank You for Smoking, which wound up with $24.8 million in 2006.

Comment

Anyway here it is the big holiday season. A lot of new releases are coming out, so here my pick for what will be rounding up the top five.

MIGP (50-60million during the weekend) excellent word of mouth anyone.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (40-50 million)

The Adventures of Tintin (40-50 million)

Sherlock Holmes a game of shadows (30-40 million)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (20-25million)

Comment

Man I'm starting to get worried about Tintin succeeding in America (the only place it has yet to succeed in). From what I read Theaters aren't exactly being lined up by people who want to see it.

Comment

To be fair Tin Tin was never as popular here as it was in Europe. I'll watch it, but it's definitely a rental or netflix view for me.
          Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
          Nor label his working day "cushy"
          But you might have to question
          His endless obsession
          With superpositional pussy.

Comment

I've been told it's worth a visit to the theaters.

Also it's Tintin, not Tin Tin.

Comment

The space is silent, I guess. Fuck it.
              Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
              Nor label his working day "cushy"
              But you might have to question
              His endless obsession
              With superpositional pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                I've been told it's worth a visit to the theaters.

Also it's Tintin, not Tin Tin.
                It got a good review in our local paper, though actually reading the full review I got a much more mixed impression than the grade they gave it indicated. They said it was well made, but said the story was thin, and that the pace of the action was unrelenting and somewhat exhausting. But in the end they said it was fun and worth seeing, and I got the impression that they thought it made very good use of the 3D technology.

So now I'm a bit torn. My interest level is low enough that normally I'd just catch it on DVD. However, I kind of feel like, if the movie was INTENDED to be viewed in 3D, was made with that in mind, and was apparently successful at making good use of it (as opposed to just tacking 3D on to increase revenue), then I should try to watch it the way it was intended, because it won't really have the same effect otherwise.

Granted, usually when I see something in 3D, then see it later in 2D, I find that it works just as well. But there are exceptions. The "Night and Day" short film by Pixar just doesn't work as well in 2D. I don't think Avatar does, either. And I fully expect the movie "Hugo" to fall into this category. It is an excellent film, and I would recommend it even if you can't see it in 3D, but the 3D was so effective in that film, that I can't imagine that I won't miss it quite a lot when I see it in 2D eventually.

Comment

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/12/2...on-impossible/

After a highly lucrative advance run almost exclusively in IMAX theaters, Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol formally debuted wide on Wednesday, and leapt to the top of the box office with $8.6 million (including $2 mil from Tuesday night showings). Add in the $17.1 million from its 425-theater sneak preview, and Tom Cruise’s fourth Mission film has already grossed a very healthy $25.7 million. With an “A-” CinemaScore, and some of the strongest reviews in the franchise’s history, the film is in a great position heading into the Christmas season.

That is very welcome news for Hollywood, which has already suffered two of its worst weekends in years this month, and seen Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows open $22 million lower than the first Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock film in 2009. Game of Shadows pulled in $4.5 million on Wednesday for second place and $54 million total. (The first Sherlock, by comparison, had pulled in $93 million by this point, though it did open on Christmas.)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo also opened wide Tuesday night, pulling in $1.6 million and an additional $3.5 million on Wednesday, for $5.1 mil total. David Fincher’s adaptation of the Stieg Larsson best-seller won an outstanding “A” CinemScore — including an “A+” grade from audiences 25-to-34 — so word-of-mouth should help the Christmas counter-programming do well in the coming days.

Looking slightly less healthy is Steven Spielberg’s 3-D family-adventure film, The Adventures of Tintin, which opened Wednesday to $2.3 million. But it did win a solid “A-” CinemaScore, and for a character widely unknown to U.S. audiences (Tintin‘s already grossed $239 million internationally), that really isn’t so bad.

Elsewhere, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked took in $3.5 mil on Wednesday for $33 million total.

Well I guess I wasn't surprised by how much Tintin made.

Comment

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3329&p=.htm

In one of the most crowded holiday seasons in recent memory, no fewer than seven movies are either opening in or expanding in to nationwide release this weekend. That's in addition to Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, which should both continue to have a strong presence. With so many offerings for audiences, the remainder of 2011 will almost certainly mark an improvement over a comparatively quiet 2010 holiday season.

Coming off Mission: Impossible III's disappointing $134 million gross, and factoring in star Tom Cruise's apparently declining star power over the past few years, it comes as a bit of a surprise that Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol has become the movie to see this season. After earning $12.8 million from just 425 locations this weekend, the fourth installment in the espionage franchise expanded in to 3,448 theaters on Wednesday and took first place with $8.92 million (that does include grosses from Tuesday night showings as well). Riding some of the best reviews of the season (it's currently 93 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and strong word-of-mouth coming out of its initial IMAX run, the movie should continue to play well throughout the weekend, and will likely have amassed a total north of $70 million through Monday.

Debuting at 2,914 locations, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo placed second on Wednesday with $5.07 million, which includes $1.6 million from late Tuesday and midnight showings. Cleverly dubbed early on as "The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas," Dragon Tattoo has had an exciting, ever-present marketing campaign that has gone a long way to exciting the book's fan base while alleviating some of the concerns of remaking the Swedish-language movie that earned over $10 million last year. Clocking in at 160 minutes and featuring an abundance of horrific imagery, the movie probably won't get off to a huge start, though it will likely end up in the mid-$30 million range by Monday.

The Adventures of Tintin had a somewhat slow $2.3 million debut at 3,087 locations on Wednesday, and including previous grosses from French Canada the movie has so far made $5.6 million. The Steven Spielberg animated movie was always going to be a tough sell to U.S. audiences who are largely unfamiliar with the title character and have at least recently hesitated to attend motion capture animated movies, though with $237 million in overseas coin already collected it's unlikely the movie needs to be all that successful stateside anyway. With older adventure-craving audiences likely to head to Mission: Impossible or Sherlock Holmes and younger families seeking out Alvin and the Chipmunks and possibly We Bought a Zoo, Tintin is probably in line for no more than $20 million or so for the six-day weekend.

Speaking of We Bought a Zoo, the comedy/drama intends to reach family audiences when it opens at 3,117 theaters on Friday. Bullish on the movie's broad appeal, distributor 20th Century Fox arranged nationwide screenings on Saturday, November 26 and again on Saturday, December 10 in an attempt to gin up strong word-of-mouth. That seems to have worked to some extent, and a feel-good original movie should be a welcome respite from sequels like Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. Still, there's just too much competition to expect the movie to break out of the $10-15 million range for the Friday-Monday period.

War Horse and The Darkest Hour are waiting until Christmas Day to open at 2,376 and 2,324 theaters, respectively. War Horse is Steven Spielberg's second movie to come out within five days, though it seems much more within his wheelhouse than the animated Tintin. With its World War I setting and horse protagonist, the movie is going to be harder for audiences to latch on to than Spielberg's most-famous war movie, Saving Private Ryan, though it is probably in much better shape than Munich. That movie opened to $6.04 million from Friday-Monday at the same time in 2005; War Horse should come close to that amount on just Sunday and Monday.

Alien invasion movie The Darkest Hour is being positioned as counter-programming to the wave of more traditional holiday fare, though it continues to look like the movie most likely to get lost in the crowd. According to a Summit spokesperson, The Darkest Hour is poised for $2-3 million on Sunday and $4-5 million for the Sunday and Monday period.

After already earning $6.3 million in limited release, My Week with Marilyn reaches a barely-wide 602 theaters this weekend. The movie won't come close to cracking the Top 12, but with Oscar buzz surrounding star Michelle Williams performance it should continue to put up decent numbers throughout the next few week

Comment

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3330&p=.htm

Even with three new movies entering the market this week, the top of the box office charts looked awfully familiar this Friday. After expanding to 3,448 locations, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol jumped ahead of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked to claim first place, a position it should be able to hold throughout the remainder of the holiday weekend. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was fine in fourth place, while The Adventures of Tintin and We Bought a Zoo were unable to lure family audiences in large numbers. The Top 10 earned over $37 million on Friday, which is just a tad up from the same date in 2005 (the last time Dec. 23 landed on a Friday), and it doesn't look like this batch of movies is going to do a whole lot to end 2011 on a high note.

The fourth installment in the Mission: Impossible franchise added an estimated $9.74 million on Friday to bring its eight-day total to $42.2 million. Distributor Paramount Pictures is reporting that the movie earned an "A-" CinemaScore, and that the audience was 61 percent male and 65 percent over the age of 25. For the four-day frame (Friday to Monday), Paramount is anticipating close to $40 million.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows fell 54 percent from its opening day to an estimated $5.4 million on Friday. Its total of $65.5 million through eight days is way off from the first Sherlock's $117 million, though that comparison isn't apples-to-apples given the first Sherlock's Christmas Day opening. By New Years, Game of Shadows will likely have closed that gap a bit, though reaching the first movie's $209 million total seems far out of reach at this point.

Chipwrecked eased just 20 percent to $5.4 million, which is a much better hold than the first Alvin had in 2007. It has so far made $42.3 million, and is lagging significantly behind both prior entries in the franchise.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo added an estimated $4.6 million on Friday to bring its three-day total to just shy of $13 million. For comparison, True Grit opened at the same time last year and had earned $16 million through its first three days. The David Fincher-directed remake should get to over $25 million through Monday, which is a decent start that doesn't quite live up to lofty pre-release expectations.

The Adventures of Tintin earned $3.5 million on Friday for a total of $11.5 million (three days in nationwide release plus prior grosses from French-speaking Canada). Paramount is reporting that the audience skewed slightly male (55 percent) and a bit young (51 percent under the age of 25), and the movie scored a solid "A-" CinemaScore. Paramount is also estimating a four-day weekend around $14 million.

We Bought a Zoo debuted in sixth place with an estimated $3 million. That's not an overly impressive start, though the movie does still have a chance to turn things around with children off from school next week.

Comment

http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/firs...oo-2-tintin-5/

Sources tell me that Christmas Day box office numbers for North America are up +60% compared to New Years Eve for the new holiday releases and as much as +86% for the weekend frontrunner Paramount’s Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, and +104% for Warner Bros’ Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows in second place. As for the No. 1 movie, director Brad Bird’s Tom Cruise-Jeremy Renner starrer is definitely going to outgross the M:I franchise’s last actioner which did $135M domestic and $270M overseas. My sources say M:I4 is heading to $175M domestic and $400M overseas — with a budget estimated at $145M. Also, Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-buzzed War Horse for DreamWorks/Disney opened in 2,376 theaters today and is overperforming with nearly $7.5M jumping into 3rd place. And that’s despite its 2-hour, 26-minute running time which means fewer screenings. Also opening today is New Regency/Summit Entertainment’s sci-fi thriller The Darkest Hour which debuted today in 2,324 theaters with $2.5M. Fox’s Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked falls to 6th place, while the studio’s We Bought A Zoo moves up a notch to 5th, and Paramount’s The Adventures Of Tintin drops to 7th. More later.

SATURDAY PM/SUNDAY AM, 5TH UPDATE: Refined numbers coming for the North American box office for Saturday and the 3-day Christmas weekend. As predicted, Christmas Eve grosses were very soft. (And many international theaters particularly in Europe close early on Christmas Eve and on Christmas.) Paramount’s Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol is still having the holiday season’s strongest start for #1. Either Tom Cruise’s career is back from the brink or else moviegoers are in the mood for a full-frills actionfest with heartstopping stunts — or both. The fourquel is showing that this franchise has freshened successfully. Warner Bros’ Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows is holding in 2nd place, but it was supposed to win the weekend. Guy Ritchie’s thriller just wasn’t thrilling enough for audiences. And its disappointing start shows how fickle fans can be when it comes to movie stars like Robert Downey Jr. Another big surprise is the underperformance of Twentieth Century Fox’s family fare threequel Alvin And The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked which may show more life over the next week. Sony Pictures’ The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the only major studio wide release that’s R-rated this holiday period. So its lackluster grosses are such a surprise (especially because adults are flocking to specialty box office hits like Fox Searchlight’s The Descendants and The Weinstein Co’s The Artist). Maybe fans of the Steig Larsson novel were satisfied by last year’s Swedish film and weren’t feeling David Fincher’s Hollywood version. But business could pick up next week. Paramount/Sony’s The Adventure Of Tintin is already a hit overseas. But these domestic grosses underwhelm for a Steven Spielberg/Peter Jackson collaboration. Then again, Americans don’t have a clue who the Belgian boy hero is. Twentieth Century Fox suffered yet another disappointing debut when its holiday heartwarmer We Bought A Zoo opened really weak despite stars Matt Damon-Scarlett Johansson and director Cameron Crowe and heavy TV advertising and two rounds of national sneaks to build word of mouth. You’d think all those animals would have put more people in seats, like the studio’s previous hit Marley & Me, especially with an ‘A’ CinemaScore. Speaking of animals, Steven Spielberg’s Oscar-buzzed War Horse from DreamWorks/Disney opens Sunday in 2,376 theaters and is projected to make $4.5M on Sunday and $8M Monday. Its 2-hour, 26-minute running time means fewer screenings. Question is whether this is family or adult fare.

But just when the Grinch stole Hollywood’s moviegoers comes the stat that overall box office this 3-day weekend is -22% compared to last year. But the 4-day wholiday looks to be up 3% vs last year which also included Christmas Eve. Monday is a U.S. national holiday so look for better box office. That’s when we’ll see clarity on whether the entire holiday period will bring out moviegoers for what is now the very important New Year’s weekend which may lead to much better multiples and totals than usual. Latest Top 10 (order determined by weekend gross):

1. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Paramount) Week 2 [3,448 Runs]
                        Debuted Friday December 16 in limited release; Expanded Tuesday night December 20; Officially went wide Wednesday December 21
                        Tuesday $1.7M, Wednesday $8.9M (including $2M midnights), Thursday $6.2M, Friday $9.7M, Saturday $6.1M
                        3-Day Weekend $26.5M, 4-day Holiday $40.2M
                        Domestic Cume $72.6M, International Cume $130M (from 50 markets)

2. Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,703 Runs]
                        Opened wide Friday December 16
                        Wednesday $4.2M, Thursday $4.8M, Friday $6.7M, Saturday $5M
                        3-Day Weekend $17.8M (-55%), 4-Day Holiday $25M
                        Domestic Cume $83.8M, International Cume $46.1M (from 25 markets)

3. Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (Fox) Week 2 [3,726 Runs]
                        Opened wide Friday December 16
                        Wednesday $3.5M, Thursday $3.9M, Friday $5.4M, Saturday $2.8M
                        3-Day Weekend $13.3M (-43%), 4-Day Holiday $21.1M
                        Domestic Cume $58.1M, International Cume $42.1M (from 52 markets)

4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Sony) NEW [2,914 Runs]
                        Debuted Tuesday night December 20; Opened Wednesday December 21
                        Tuesday $1.6M, Wednesday $5M, Thursday $3.1M, Friday $4.6M, Saturday $2.5M
                        3-Day Weekend $13M, 4-Day Holiday $20M
                        Domestic Cume $28.5M, International Cume $950K

5. The Adventures Of Tintin 3D (Paramount) NEW [3,087 Runs]
                        Opened Wednesday December 21
                        Wednesday $2.3M, Thursday $2.4M, Friday $3.5M, Saturday $2.4M
                        3-Day Weekend $9.1M, 4-Day Holiday $14.3M
                        Domestic Cume $22.3M, International Cume (Sony) $240M

6. We Bought A Zoo (Fox) NEW [3,117 Runs]
                        Friday $3M, Saturday $1.9M
                        3-Day Weekend $7.8M, 4-Day Holiday $11.7M
                        International Cume $1.1M (from 6 markets)

7. New Year’s Eve (Warner Bros) Week 3 [2,585 Runs]
                        Friday $1.3M, Saturday $505K
                        3-Day Weekend $3M, 4-Day Holiday $5.4M, Cume $34.8M

8. Arthur Christmas (Sony) Week 5 [1,804 Runs]
                        Friday $1M, Saturday $745K
                        3-Day Weekend $2.7M, 4-Day Holiday $4M
                        Domestic Cume $45.5M, International Cume $90M (from 74 markets)

9. Hugo 3D (Paramount) Week 5 [1,236 Runs]
                        Friday $712K, Saturday $583K
                        3-Day Weekend $2M, 4-Day Holiday $3M
                        Domestic Cume $44.6M

10. The Muppets (Disney) Week 5 [1,859 Runs]
                        Friday $930K, Saturday $607K
                        3-Day Weekend $2M, 4-Day Holiday $3.6M
                        Domestic Cume $77.2M

Comment

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3331&p=.htm

After typically slow earnings on Christmas Eve the box office came roaring back to life on Christmas Day, and the studios are expecting this surge to continue throughout Monday. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol easily topped the charts for the four-day weekend, while Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked had decent holds following their middling debuts. The only clear winner among the new releases was War Horse, which managed to nearly crack the Top 5 despite opening on Sunday. Based on studio estimates, the four-day weekend will end up at over $201 million, or up around 10 percent from the same four-day period last year.

Mission: Impossible scored an estimated $46.2 million from Friday to Monday for a total of $78.6 million. While it's still lagging behind all three prior Mission: Impossible movies, it's obviously worth noting that those movies were released during May, when grosses are much more front-loaded, and didn't open with a five-day limited engagement. It now appears like Ghost Protocol will easily finish ahead of Mission: Impossible III's $134 million, and could even wind up topping the first Mission: Impossible's $181 million. According to distributor Paramount Pictures, the movie received an "A-" CinemaScore from an audience that was 61 percent male and 65 percent 25 years of age and older. IMAX and "premium" screens accounted for 23 percent of the gross.

Sherlock Holmes added $31.8 million to bring its 11-day total to $90.6 million. Chipwrecked added $20 million for a total just under $57 million. While neither of these sequels have any chance of passing $200 million (like their predecessors did), they also appear to be officially out of "bomb" territory.
                          The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo grossed an estimated $19.4 million from Friday to Monday for a six-day total of $27.8 million. That's tops among the new releases, but is also a bit disappointing considering the movie is an adaptation of one of the most popular books of the last decade and featured a killer marketing campaign from distributor Sony Pictures ("The Feel Bad Movie of Christmas," Trent Reznor and Karen O's version of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song," etc.).

The Adventures of Tintin rounded out the Top Five with an estimated $16.1 million four-day haul. Including Wednesday and Thursday, as well as prior grosses from Quebec, Tintin has earned $24.1 million so far. With a title character largely unfamiliar to U.S. audiences and featuring the kind of motion capture animation that's been steadily losing appeal here, it probably would have been unreasonable to expect much more to start. Tintin's audience was 55 percent male and 51 percent 25 years of age and under, and they awarded the movie an "A-" CinemaScore. A huge 74 percent of the grosses came from 3D presentations.

We Bought a Zoo was just behind Tintin with an estimated $15.6 million. That's just a bit higher than Marley & Me's opening day gross of $14.4 million on Christmas Day 2008, which indicates that Zoo isn't off to a great start.

War Horse was the most impressive out of the new releases with an estimated $15 million from Sunday to Monday. Holding off on opening until Christmas Day, the Steven Spielberg-directed World War I drama claimed third place both days behind Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes. It's way too early to say for sure, but there's a very good chance this winds up being the highest-grossing Christmas release this year.

As expected, The Darkest Hour launched with a soft $5.5 million from 2,324 locations. The audience was 56 percent male and 75 percent under the age of 35, and they awarded the movie a poor "C+" CinemaScore.

Comment

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3334&p=.htm

Audiences looking to catch up on the crush of holiday movies have another chance over New Year's weekend, which officially qualifies as the final weekend of 2011.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol has easily held the top spot for the past eight days, and should manage to maintain a lead over Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and claim first place for the second-straight weekend. Through the end of the four-day holiday frame (Friday-Monday), Ghost Protocol will likely have passed Mission: Impossible III's $134 million total.

Once again, Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks should round out the Top Three on the box office chart. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows passed the $100 million mark on Wednesday, becoming the first December 2011 release to reach this plateau. Despite ongoing solid grosses, though, neither Sherlock nor Alvin have any chance of reaching their predecessors' totals ($209 million and $219.6 million, respectively).

This is a big weekend for both The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and War Horse. Despite a strong campaign and relentless internet buzz, Dragon Tattoo only managed to gross $32.5 million through its first seven days in theaters. For the movie to have any chance of breaking $100 million (and subsequently kick-start sequel talks), it's going to need to turn out adult audiences in droves this weekend.

War Horse, on the other hand, had a great $14.5 million two-day opening on Sunday and Monday before plummeting to the back of the new-release pack on Tuesday and Wednesday. The movie will need to regain significant momentum this weekend and wind up in the Top Five, or else that strong start will be regarded as a fluke.

While there aren't any major new movies, there are a handful of limited releases this weekend. Focus Features' Pariah had a solid $21,824 debut at four locations on Wednesday, and will look to build on that success over the four-day weekend. Riding poor reviews but plenty of Oscar attention for star Meryl Streep, biopic The Iron Lady debuts at four locations on Friday. Finally, well-reviewed Iranian drama A Separation reaches three venues on Friday. While it will probably have a quiet opening, expect Sony Pictures Classics to mount a significant limited expansion following its inevitable Best Foreign Language Academy Award nomination next month.

Comment

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3336&p=.htm

With 2011 coming to an end this weekend, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol once again claimed the top spot at the box office. Not far behind were fellow sequels Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, followed by a surging War Horse and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The Top 12 earned an estimated $151 million, which is a slight improvement over the same frame last year and 15 percent up on 2005 (the last time New Year's fell on a Sunday).

The fourth Mission: Impossible movie was up six percent to $31.3 million, which brings its total to $134.1 million through Sunday. If that figure sticks when actuals are reported on Tuesday, Ghost Protocol will have exceeded Mission: Impossible III's $134.03 million total through just 17 days in theaters. Additionally, the movie is projected to pass the latest Sherlock Holmes movie on Sunday to become December 2011's top-grossing movie. The next big milestone on the horizon is the original Mission: Impossible's $181 million, which looks reachable at this point.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows improved nine percent to an estimated $22.1 million. With the help of holiday grosses, it's been closing the gap with the original Sherlock Holmes, though its $132.1 million total still trails the first installment by $33 million.

Chipwrecked leaped 45 percent to $18.3 million for a total of $94.6 million. It should pass $100 million on Monday or Tuesday, which is a minor consolation prize considering the first Alvin was already at over $140 million through its third weekend.

After languishing in sixth and seventh place from Tuesday through Friday, War Horse received a boost on Saturday and Sunday and finished the weekend in fourth place with an estimated $16.94 million. Through eight days in theaters, the Steven Spielberg WWI drama has earned $42.97 million, and it's quickly closing in on the final total of Spielberg's Munich ($47.4 million).

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo wasn't far behind War Horse, and could actually swap spots for the four-day weekend (or for the three-day frame when actuals are reported on Tuesday afternoon). The David Fincher-directed remake was up 28 percent to an estimated $16.8 million, and has made $57.1 million so far.

We Bought a Zoo leaped an impressive 53 percent from its opening weekend and snagged an estimated $14.3 million. The Cameron Crowe-directed drama is likely benefiting from strong word-of-mouth among family audiences, and it will be interesting to see if that can keep the movie going even after holiday activities wrap up this week. Through 10 days in theaters, We Bought a Zoo has made $41.8 million.

The Adventures of Tintin doesn't appear to be catching on quite as well as We Bought a Zoo: the Spielberg-directed animated adventure improved 24 percent to an estimated $12 million. After 12 days in U.S. theaters, and including earlier grosses from Quebec, Tintin has earned $47.8 million.

Unsurprisingly, New Year's Eve received a big boost coinciding with the arrival of the titular holiday. The movie more than doubled its weekend tally to $6.7 million; unfortunately, it's likely to fall hard in the coming weeks, and with $46.4 million in the bank it has no chance of coming anywhere close to predecessor Valentine's Day's $110.5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                                Vampires rule, just not in Twilight.

Comment

Working...
                                X