No announcement yet.

Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just saw Zombieland for the first time, and what a joyous ride through OCD-laced fun it was. This was one of those movies where I had seen the trailer and wanted to catch it in the theater, but for whatever reason, didn't. I happened to see some reference to it earlier this week, and figured it would be fun to watch. Was not disappointed in the least. If the apocalypse ever goes down, this is how I'm living. With my dog, of course.

Comment

• Can't believe you hadn't seen it before, but glad you got to it.

For my part, I have no illusions that I'm surviving a zombie apocalypse. If 99+% of the population dies, I'm not going to be one of >1%. That's going to be those doomsday preppers and super soldiers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        Can't believe you hadn't seen it before, but glad you got to it.

For my part, I have no illusions that I'm surviving a zombie apocalypse. If 99+% of the population dies, I'm not going to be one of >1%. That's going to be those doomsday preppers and super soldiers.
        But if the zombie apocalypse actually came, would you really WANT to survive? Every survivor would have lost most of their families and friends. What's the point of going on if you've been forced to see your parents, spouse, children and siblings killed in front of you? Screw that.

The best way to go out would be like the parents of the main character of 28 Days Later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          But if the zombie apocalypse actually came, would you really WANT to survive? Every survivor would have lost most of their families and friends. What's the point of going on if you've been forced to see your parents, spouse, children and siblings killed in front of you? Screw that.

The best way to go out would be like the parents of the main character of 28 Days Later.
          I.....

I can't even....

WHUT?

You of all people, Dave?

I totally did not see that coming. Not. One. Fucking. Bit.

Comment

• Oh I want to live. I picture myself like Rick from Walking Dead carryon on to protect his son and keep him alive. Not one to take that path. But at the end of the world? If I've lost everyone I love I wouldn't want to carry on.

Comment

Oh I want to live. I picture myself like Rick from Walking Dead carryon on to protect his son and keep him alive. Not one to take that path. But at the end of the world? If I've lost everyone I love I wouldn't want to carry on.
              You have to carry on because of them. For them. In memory of them.

And who actually gets to say "it's the end of the world"? I would question anyone telling me that. As long as I'm still kicking, the world ain't done yet.

Comment

True. I'm a bit of a loner, but not so much so that I'd want to kick around a world in which everyone I knew was a cannibalistic reanimated corpse.

Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                You have to carry on because of them. For them. In memory of them.

And who actually gets to say "it's the end of the world"? I would question anyone telling me that. As long as I'm still kicking, the world ain't done yet.
                This is more existential than I meant it (though I know you were replying to BDD). I'm not questioning what my place would be in a world alone. I'm not even saying that in a zombie apocalypse I'd curl up into a depressed ball and die like Padme. I'm just saying practically that I am not a particularly healthy person. I'm clumsy and I'm no survivalist. I've never even fired a gun or turned on a generator, let alone started a fire from twigs, preserved water so it's potable a year later, stitched myself up, or put additives in gas so it still works after six months. If even only 9 out of every 10 people die, I have no reason to believe I'm the tenth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  True. I'm a bit of a loner, but not so much so that I'd want to kick around a world in which everyone I knew was a cannibalistic reanimated corpse.

This is more existential than I meant it (though I know you were replying to BDD). I'm not questioning what my place would be in a world alone. I'm not even saying that in a zombie apocalypse I'd curl up into a depressed ball and die like Padme. I'm just saying practically that I am not a particularly healthy person. I'm clumsy and I'm no survivalist. I've never even fired a gun or turned on a generator, let alone started a fire from twigs, preserved water so it's potable a year later, stitched myself up, or put additives in gas so it still works after six months. If even only 9 out of every 10 people die, I have no reason to believe I'm the tenth.

...and while some of those self assessments may be true, that's when you call upon your friend Doom who can take care of the survivalist stuff, but may need help from you making some of the choices that require your intelligence and planning, which may not be Doom's strongest suit.

Comment

• The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

"True! TRUUUUEEEEEEE!!!"

A young man arrives at a castle to investigate the passing of his sister, and learns her death was worse than originally thought. The castle's lord has seemingly been driven mad by his wife's parting, but that is only the beginning.

I thought this was very well done. It's more psychological-emotional thriller than horror by today's standards, but those sorts of films did and can still fall into the horror genre (and this is still horror by any stretch of the word).

The more you learn about the castle and its history, and the mental and emotional suffering of Don Medina (Vincent Price), the better it gets. The sleuthing by the dead wife's brother is practically Holmesian, he does a damn good job of finding out the truth bit by bit.

As always, Price does a phenomenal performance, but certainly the rest of the cast sells it (though the sister sounds like she's phoning it in during the flashbacks).

Was surprised that Roger Corman both produced and directed this, but he didn't stop directing until Frankenstein Unbound, a couple decades later (starring Raul Julia and John Hurt).

Very highly recommend this film, and hoping to finish off this triple-flick DVD next week with Tales of Terror.
                    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• P&P is great. My understanding is that Corman's so-called Poe cycle was near and dear to his heart so he took more of the time, money, and care the material deserved and it ends up felling decidedly unCorman (not that I don't enjoy Corman flicks). Too bad Abin isn't here anymore. He was a fan of this movie and that period of Corman and Price's work.

And that torture chamber is just an awesome set. I have to pick me up a copy of this film for keep's some day.

Comment

• Indeed, the Pendulum chamber was astounding in its detail. The whole setting was top notch, but the eerie beauty of that one room alone could have and probably did sell some serious tickets.
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Yesterday, I watched

Incubus (1965)

"I see the heart of darkness."

This rather unusual movie (starring just pre-Star Trek William Shatner) feels like a Bergman imitation. It's about a war-injured hero farmer and his sister and a group of succubi demons. One of them wants to go against the grain and lure a good man to hell, but fall for him herself. Eventually, they call on the services of the male demon and title character.

It was pretty good, though strange; like an art house film. Doubly bizarre, it was shot in Esperanto, the made-up universal language.

Comment

• I also watched . . .

[Rec] (2007)

"What a rucus."

Finally saw this Spanish found-footage infection-zombie flick. I had heard about this from Fangoria before they even remade it here as Quarantine (which I haven't seen) and wanted to see it but didn't until yesterday. Anyway, I really liked it. The POV angle actually works here and is pretty important to how its told. It's low-budget and small-scale, but done well.

Comment

• He Knows You're Alone (1980)
                              + YouTube Video
                              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"Most people do, I mean like to be scared; it's something primal, something basic."

This was one of the first Halloween knock-offs and also Tom Hanks' movie premier, though he's a secondary character (neither killer nor victim), mostly there to spout Psych 101 stuff about horror (see above line).

Anyway, it was slow and derivative (the music is so obviously copying Halloween it's ridiculous). Some okay stuff, but nothing that wasn't done better in Michael, Jason, or Freddy movies.

Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• You've been watching some very interesting movies to celebrate the season. Rec looks good.

Comment

Working...
                                X