Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How happy are you with GL's current standing in... everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Morrison left the New Gods in a near toxic state after Final Crisis.
    Technically "Countdown" left the New Gods in a "near toxic state" (as in murdering all of them), nothing Grant did. And Grant rebirthed them all at the end of Final Crisis... only for them to get rebooted anyway a few months later in the New 52.

Comment

I miss the colored Corps and the GLC in general. There was simply no need whatsoever to sod things down to the level as they've done with Grant.

I admit even with Geoff I was getting a little bit of the "been there, done that" with the big events but at least that felt like Green Lantern. Everything Geoff accomplished has been stripped away.
      Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

I'm not happy with the idea of focusing on an alternate Blackstar reality for any amount of time. Even one issue of that seems like too much. I don't want to go back to Geoff Johns, with the constant retcons and endless events, but this run is mostly just a bunch of weirdness that isn't going anywhere I want to follow. There HAS to be something in between those two, right?

Comment

As much as I liked Geoffcon bringing Green Lantern to the forefront, I didn't appreciate the fact that Hal was almost never the main focus. The storylines were all about the other Lanterns and their plight, and Hal ended up being a plot device in his own title.

After Venditti's run with the whole "Renegade" thing, I was turned off and haven't really read another GL book since. It's hard to believe that he was on the title for five years. It's like everyone was asleep or in a comic coma during that time.

I have all of the issues from Morrison's run in a stack at home, but haven't found or made the time to start reading again. Maybe I'll give it a shot during the holidays when I can get through all the issues at once. Still, I haven't heard anything flattering that would make me immediately grab the books and start reading again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
            As much as I liked Geoffcon bringing Green Lantern to the forefront, I didn't appreciate the fact that Hal was almost never the main focus. The storylines were all about the other Lanterns and their plight, and Hal ended up being a plot device in his own title.

After Venditti's run with the whole "Renegade" thing, I was turned off and haven't really read another GL book since. It's hard to believe that he was on the title for five years. It's like everyone was asleep or in a comic coma during that time.

I have all of the issues from Morrison's run in a stack at home, but haven't found or made the time to start reading again. Maybe I'll give it a shot during the holidays when I can get through all the issues at once. Still, I haven't heard anything flattering that would make me immediately grab the books and start reading again.
            There definitely isn't an aura of "must read!" to the Morrison GL books. Sadly.

Comment

How happy am I with Green Lantern? I'm okay with it, I guess. I don't read the current run, but I kind of keep up with what is generally going on. I still read back issues occasionally.

My investment in Green Lantern has gone way, way, WAY down, but I actually don't mind. Green Lantern used to frustrate me a lot, but I feel much more at peace with it these days. However, I think a lot of that has to do with apathy, to be honest. DC can do whatever with GL, and while I will have an opinion on it, I won't really mind.

I don't think I will ever go back to being a super invested hardcore fan of Green Lantern again, regardless of what DC does. That has more to do with me, though. I shifted my focus from being a comics fan to a comics creator, and that changed my perspective a lot. Instead of looking at comics like, "Grrrr, they're always ignoring my favorite character," like fans often do, I'm more interested in evaluating if the creators are effectively accomplishing what they set out to in the telling of the story, and if the overall direction is inspired. Furthermore, all the emotion and energy I put into Green Lantern is now going into my own creative work, and I don't think that will ever change, and I don't really want it to.

I don't really care what happens with Green Lantern because I'm having fun with my own toys, and I can control what happens with them, so I don't have to worry about someone behind the scenes who hates my favorite characters and sabotages them...which is a load off and VERY liberating. When I look back at my time with Green Lantern...eh...it was probably more frustrating to me than it was enjoyable, and that isn't even exaggerating. And I kind of wonder how much of a fan of it I actually was. Because if you really wrestle with something that much, and it frustrates you more often than not...do you REALLY like it?

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              I'm not happy with the idea of focusing on an alternate Blackstar reality for any amount of time. Even one issue of that seems like too much. I don't want to go back to Geoff Johns, with the constant retcons and endless events, but this run is mostly just a bunch of weirdness that isn't going anywhere I want to follow. There HAS to be something in between those two, right?
              If Sharpe needs a break (which is understandable) and Morrison wants to shift focus during that break, I think it would have been better to tell a 3 part story with John Stewart and the Green Lantern Corps; Kilowog, Arisia, Salaak, Guy Gardner, and a squirrel. Fans haven't seen those characters on an adventure in a while now. And if DC wants to rehabilitate Green Lantern after Venditti ran it into the ground, then the Corps will need to be addressed.
              Star-Lantern
              Weaponer of Qward
              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-02-2019, 12:37 PM.
              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                ...And I kind of wonder how much of a fan of it I actually was. Because if you really wrestle with something that much, and it frustrates you more often than not...do you REALLY like it?...
                Maybe not, but it's not the uncommon. Maybe you like how something starts but it never captures that magic again. Or you jump in at a certain point and that's the way it's supposed to be for you. I don't think that's right or wrong. It just means you have a particular favorite way of looking at it.

It's not all that different from people who are doggedly loyal to the local baseball team, but spend most of their time complaining about how bad they've been.

Comment

It's kind of like... a comedian comes out (Geoff) and bombs hard so 90% of the audience leaves, then an oh-kay comedian came out for a while to sort of repeat the first comedian's performance (Venditti) and more people leave... then finally a guy comes to the mic who doesn't even realize he's supposed to be doing comedy and starts doing speakeasy stuff (Morrison). By this time nobody even cares.

Comment

Working...
                  X