The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 PM   #76
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Serialized storytelling has been around since the first soap operas premiered on radio. It's not new, but it's recently become the big thing in television and in movies. One "good" thing about it -- for the producers, anyway -- is that it tends to cover up poor storytelling.

In other words, people keep coming back because they hope the next chapter will get better. They think, "Yeah, what I just watched really sucked, but I'm keeping the faith that this will all pay off."

So instead of being about what you've watched, it becomes about HOW IS THIS GOING TO END?

But guess what. To the producers, it's not about how it's going to end. It's about people coming back for more and more installments. If you don't like the ending, so what? The producers have already made their fortune by getting you to come back again and again. If you cry about the ending, that's not their problem. It's your problem.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #77
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I get what you are saying, but won't they make even more money if people DO like the way it ends? Once the thing is complete, it can still keep making them money (DVD/Blu-ray sales, continued play on streaming services), but at that point people need to like the complete package, because they will know, more or less, what they are getting.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #78
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I get what you are saying, but won't they make even more money if people DO like the way it ends? Once the thing is complete, it can still keep making them money (DVD/Blu-ray sales, continued play on streaming services), but at that point people need to like the complete package, because they will know, more or less, what they are getting.
Nobody wants to tell a bad story. But it's damned hard to tell a good one. And if you can draw a story out for a lot of installments, you can often get away with telling one that falls short. At least you'll get paid for it, which is what the producers are in business to do.

Something else -- people WANT to enjoy the story they're watching unfold. That's why they'll keep coming back despite seeing bad installments. They keep thinking, "This is going to get better. After I've invested so much in it, it's GOT to get better."
Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #79
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Yeah, but if it's not at least 'good enough' most viewers will find a breaking point. A point at which they no longer care and stop watching. That's why ratings go down and shows get cancelled.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #80
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
Yeah, but if it's not at least 'good enough' most viewers will find a breaking point. A point at which they no longer care and stop watching. That's why ratings go down and shows get cancelled.
And that's the whole point about a series that has a limited run. Game of Thrones was only going to last for a set amount of time.

By contrast, a show that produces stand-alone episodes can go on indefinitely or can be canceled at any point. So there's pressure on you to keep telling good stories. In serialized storytelling, you can produce a much higher percentage of bad episodes and get away with it.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #81
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

so, who here caught The Mandalorian? opinions??

also, if theres enuff ppl who wanna catch it but cant, I'll "do my thang".....

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #82
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

so, who here caught The Mandalorian? opinions??

also, if theres enuff ppl who wanna catch it but cant, I'll "do my thang".....

Tazer
It might be good, but the trailer I saw didn't impress me.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

It was alright. It's short, like 35 minutes. I'll need to see more episodes to weigh in fully, but I was entertained. The IG-11 action really elevated things.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #84
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Not gonna watch it until it's available elsewhere, because I am not going to get Disney Plus.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #85
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Ironically, I'm toying with the idea of getting Disney+ mainly to get access to the backlog of Disney movies (if they do that) and because The Simpsons is going to be on it, but I have no interest in a Star Wars show.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:05 AM   #86
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

My one boss has DP, and I think he said his mother-in-law has it (shares up to ten screens in one household, apparently). He told me he and the kids were going through the options last night, a shitload of stuff available, but when they got to the G-section he saw Goof Troop and immediately knew what he would be watching.

Now I want to watch it again.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #87
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
My one boss has DP, and I think he said his mother-in-law has it (shares up to ten screens in one household, apparently). He told me he and the kids were going through the options last night, a shitload of stuff available, but when they got to the G-section he saw Goof Troop and immediately knew what he would be watching.

Now I want to watch it again.
Ha. I heard Simpsons fans are pissed because the 30 seasons are there, but they've all been cropped and even some jokes are ruined. [Sorry to be OT, but we don't have a Disney+ thread as far as I know.]
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #88
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Ha. I heard Simpsons fans are pissed because the 30 seasons are there, but they've all been cropped and even some jokes are ruined.
Cropped... like, for time (and this is how some jokes are ruined)? Or are you talking ratio?

If the former, I can't fathom why they would need to crop things for time on a streaming platform.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #89
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Cropped... like, for time (and this is how some jokes are ruined)? Or are you talking ratio?

If the former, I can't fathom why they would need to crop things for time on a streaming platform.
Screen ratio. Sorry. It’s in the article. If they get enough complaints, they should be able to fix it. Could be a first-day bug.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #90
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I signed up Tuesday for D+ and just paid the 69.99 for a year so I don't have to think about it for a while.

I really like the setup and how easy it is to navigate the service. This really will accelerate the end of physical media and I am going to try to deal with it as best I can. But the site itself works great.

I really enjoyed the 1st episode of The Mandalorian. My son and I watched it together. Turned off the lights, ordered a pizza, and pulled part of our sectional couch right up in front of our 65" tv to try to get the theater effect going in in the living room. It was nice. Maybe it was spending time with him and making it fun, but I really enjoyed that episode. Nothing pissed me off, which is a breath of fresh air with my pet franchises lately. It wasn't mind bending and didn't raise the bar or anything, but it was solid. Well made and fun. Plus I really like seeing Star Wars done as a western, which it totally was.

And when I get home today, episode 2 is up!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #91
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I signed up Tuesday for D+ and just paid the 69.99 for a year so I don't have to think about it for a while...This really will accelerate the end of physical media and I am going to try to deal with it as best I can. But the site itself works great...
A guy I follow on Youtube did a video about this a couple months ago arguing that this is not really the case. There's actually more stuff available on BD and DVD than ever before with many titles getting first releases. It's just that you have to shop for them and they're being phased out of big stores like Best Buy or Walmart.

I don't think physical movies will go away entirely. There are too many people who want to actually own copies [in my mind, if I can't lend it to someone, I don't own it] or give copies for Christmas and such. If there's still a market for vinyl records (and there is), there will always at least be a niche market for owning movies, even if it has to be print-on-demand stuff like Warner Archive is doing.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #92
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

So I guess.... (spoilers) the Yoda-type creature may LITERALLY be a clone of Yoda. The doctor dude's arm patch with the Imperial bigwig in the room is apparently identical to the Camino insignia. And if he's 50 years old, that's right about the time the "grand clone army" got funded.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #93
Tazer

Yo.

I find this rather interesting, becuz near as I can figure out: if if the tiny "thingthatlookslikeYoda" was born 50 yrs ago, then that would mean it was conceived in 39 BBY, which is 7yrs before Jedi Sifo-Dyas contacted the cloners of Kamino for his army project....which means that when Yoda when there a decade later to pick up clones for the Battle of Geonosis, it was possibly his SECOND time being there.....

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #94
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

I'm loving the show but I have always been a huge fan of Boba Fett so it's no big surprse; nice to see a real Mandolorian in action. It's a real deep dive into Star Wars lore and I'm loving it (calling Christmas "Life Day" from now on). I love that he's not perfect and his skills aren't over-the-top; he screws up but keeps getting up to gut it out in the end. Every Friday night will be Mando and pizza at my house.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #95
Tazer

Yo.

"Pizza & Mando -night", eh?

I rather like that....

Tazer

Quote:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #96
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

I liked it too . I loved the last episode; like someone tipped over the toy box and let all their action figures out to play.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #97
Space Cop
The Dandy

Still with no interest in actually watching the show, what is this Yoda baby I keeping seeing/hearing about. I assume it's not actually Yoda since that would have to be 900+ years before Luke.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #98
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Still with no interest in actually watching the show, what is this Yoda baby I keeping seeing/hearing about. I assume it's not actually Yoda since that would have to be 900+ years before Luke.
It appears to be clone Yoda. Since his minder bears the sleeve emblem of the Kamino cloners.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #99
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
It appears to be clone Yoda. Since his minder bears the sleeve emblem of the Kamino cloners.
Thanks. Makes sense.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #100
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

...or it could be that they found a "youngling" from the same species and is using it's high midichlorian count to try to synthesize and clone it's blood for a new breed of force sensitive Stormtrooper; if anything the Imperial Remnant is desperate for a win and some legitimacy in the new post-Empire galaxy so you can't put anything by them. It might even lead into the First Order's Sith Trooper somehow.