The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #751
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

In a lot of ways, I like to think of Friday the 13th part 1 through 5 as "the series". I go back and forth between it being 1-4 and 1-5. 6 on was this whole new thing that didn't take itself seriously, and got into the supernatural with Jason being a zombie who kept getting resurrected. 5 doesn't get a lot of love because Jason wasn't really in it, but I think it was one of the best in the entire series.

Makes me kind of sad, because I'd like to have seen what they could have done with the series if they followed the story of Tommy Jarvis being the killer in part 6 onward.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #752
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs up

I didn't forget you guys, or the lists you kindly gave me. Still working on them.
As for my most recent viewing, last night I watched The Relic (1997)

Best lines:

Bradley: There's a half-burnt joint on the floor. Seems our boy was having a little pot in the potty.
Lt. Vincent D'Agosta: Pot's a misdemeanor. Decapitation seems a bit severe.

Dr. Zwiezic: Seven decapitations in one week. Don't you just hate killers, who take head and never give it?
Lt. Vincent D'Agosta: You're bad, Matilda.

I had forgotten how much I really enjoyed this flick back when it came out. The creature was revealed in typical Jaws/Alien fashion more towards the end of the movie, and was created by Stan Winston. I remember thinking years later when the Hellboy movies came out, their hell hounds looked a lot like this dude here:

The story was good; so much in fact that I downloaded the book on my Nook a couple nights ago and am already 100 pages into it. The movie was definitely a product of its era-it was right on the cusp of computer-animated technology getting mainstream, and looking back, it still holds up. Very dark in a lot of spots where I kind of had to assume certain things were taking place. I loved the shots of the Windows 95 software. The main character, Lt. D'Agosta, was funny, charming in his own little way, and played perfectly with Ann Penelope Miller's character.

The central story, which was about a scientist taking a trip out to Africa and bringing back something no one expected, was cool in how the main Museum crew figured out exactly what they were dealing with. And there were so many good one-liners, especially the one about pot, that it nicely offset the fear that everyone was experiencing dealing with something they knew absolutely nothing about.

I would recommend this movie to both the casual and the hardcore horror fan alike.

Last edited by Jeff; 10-02-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #753
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
I like the Scooby Doo factor in the film, almost a who done it, kind of film.
Durn pesky kids!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #754
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
Durn pesky kids!
Yer all doomed I tells ya! DOOMED!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #755
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
A shame they went stupid in part six. I thought five was a slasher, but was more of a thriller too. Part six is just silly. Zombie Jason which takes all interest out of the character? Tommy turning from a bit uneasy in five to completely normal in six? Fucking hell.
You know what? I started out not liking part 6, but as the movie went along it started to improve and by the end I have to say I enjoyed it. Sure it's not on part 5's level, but it's still a decent effort.

I think I like how things slowly escalate to a final climax back at the lake.

I find it funny that the actor playing Tommy is the same guy from ROTD, and in that he is also a grave robber lol.

The lead girl in there also looks like Sabrina The Teenage Witch, that could be her mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
In a lot of ways, I like to think of Friday the 13th part 1 through 5 as "the series". I go back and forth between it being 1-4 and 1-5. 6 on was this whole new thing that didn't take itself seriously, and got into the supernatural with Jason being a zombie who kept getting resurrected. 5 doesn't get a lot of love because Jason wasn't really in it, but I think it was one of the best in the entire series.

Makes me kind of sad, because I'd like to have seen what they could have done with the series if they followed the story of Tommy Jarvis being the killer in part 6 onward.
I would say it's certainly 1-5. I may go that step further than you and say 6, it goes off in another direction, but it still has Tommy. I would have preferred if they followed part 5 like you said, with Tommy being the killer.

It's funny that two of the best films don't really feature Jason at all. In the case with good horrors, less is always better. The less you see of the "creature". Sometimes it can back fire and you just end up with a shit boring movie. It depends on the director and what they can pull off. Alien being the best example of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
I didn't forget you guys, or the lists you kindly gave me. Still working on them.
As for my most recent viewing, last night I watched The Relic (1997)
Good to hear you're still going on that list. Yeah Relic is awesome, it's a horror film I can keep watching over and over, I never grow tired of it. Yeah it came out during that early dawn of CGI. I wonder what it would be like now if they remade it? I wouldn't mind a remake, it's been long enough. The only problem is I doubt you'd be able to pull off the same level of casting. Everyone in that movie just fits and works well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
Durn pesky kids!
Quote:

THE MEN CALLED STING

Last edited by Frank Castle; 10-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #756
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

I do agree, 1, 4 and 5 really are the best movies in the series. But on a purely entertainment level there's nothing better than Freddie vs Jason. It doesn't take itself serious at all, but I enjoy the hell out of it.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #757
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
DOOM.........

Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #758
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Six was only moderately enjoyable, but I was just angry at the film for not living up to my expectations after watching five.

What I would absolutely love to do one day is make a fan film which is an alternative to part six where Tommy does in fact become the new Jason. Would be swell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #759
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I enjoy 6 and 7 both quite a bit. Part 8 was utter dogshit. But my real problem, no matter how much I like them for what they are, is that they don't fit with the earlier part of the series. It becomes this whole other thing after Jason jumped the shark. 9 and 10 have some charm to them for what they are, but really never should have been made. Freddy vs Jason was just AWESOME fun. I waited so long for that flick and it was SO enjoyable in the theater. And I thought the remake was really good; it was a shame that it was abandoned as a new series.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #760
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I agree with everything BDD said. I like #6 (finally threatens kids at a kids' summer camp!). In #7 I like Hodder's performance and I love that they gave Jason a worthy adversary. #8 is just so frustrating; a real NYC story could've been really fun (as long as it was one-off), but we didn't get that. #9 I talked about recently. X I hated the first time, but the second time I was able to watch it without being so serious and enjoyed it much more. The lesbian campers is still one of the funniest Jason jokes.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #761
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I like #6 (finally threatens kids at a kids' summer camp!).
YES! My friends and I growing up, doing marathons together used to love to point this out. Jason was finally back at a summer camp, and we FINALLY got to see it with kids actually there!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #762
Deadpool

Unfortunately, I've never seen the first one. I saw loads of them on an actual Friday the 13th when a block of them was on, but for some daft reason, the first was never on, it was just 2-6, which baffled me.

I quite liked 2, a nice standard film. However, I always thought that Jason had the hockey mask from the first film, but he didn't even have it in this one.

3 was also moderately good, just a nice standard FT13th.

Same with 4, was probably better than 2&3. Although I did hate Tommy in it and wished that he'd soon be killed. Figures he'd become the second most recurring character in the entire franchise. :P

5 is probably the best that I've seen. This film transforms a character that I found annoying in the fourth film (I hate children. ) to probably my favourite in the franchise. I feel this film had more to it and I wish that they had continued this story line and had Tommy as Jason in 6.

6 is the largest disappointment to me. It just made no sense and no mater what anyone says, this was just awful. And such an unneeded cast change for Tommy. I didn't like his actor at all.

7 was just weird. The two elements I felt didn't go at all. I don't remember Jason was even in it much. And if they were going to introduce some psychic or whatever, why not just have some old witch resurrect Jason in the sixth film if they were going to reintroduce him. Being hit with lightning and becoming a super zombie is just stupid. at least magic would give an explanation.

8 was fucking shit. Barley any of it even took part in the city. The majority was on this boat. The concept wasn't bad, the execution was just awful. Since part 6, I could tell they were just running out of ideas.

I'm not even sure if I've seen the ninth one (Jason goes to hell), so I can't judge.

I quite liked Jason X actually, and I find it convenient that X is the Roman numeral for ten, and this is the tenth film, so....... The concept was bizarre, but it was good fun. Probably my second favourite.

Unfortunately, I've not seen Freddy Vs. Jason, but I've been dying to see it.

I quite liked the 09 reboot. Was the first one I saw; I actually thought this was a remake of the first film, so that's why I didn't think seeing the original was essential. Good reboot, much preferred the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot or remake though.
Quote:
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #763
Space Cop
The Dandy

A little bit of it is a remake of #1, a dash of #3, but mostly #2.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #764
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

The first one has Kevin Bacon in it, so you should probably watch that one.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #765
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Freddy Vs. Jason is a fun movie, I like it, much like the Evil Dead remake. I always remember watching it at the cinema and that part where Freddy turns around to Kelly Rowland and says "hmmmm dark meat" lol yo the other black pepz in there was like "Ohhhhhhhh" especially this group of black girls near me. Haha I just found it funny.

Came across this today;

http://screenrant.com/friday-the-13t...footage-movie/

I'm not sure that would work, but it would be something different and the series has done things out of the norm before. However I can't help but think of Halloween Resurrection when they mention this kind of idea. The only plus in that film was Busta Rhymes. For comedy reasons.

They need to go back to part 5 and carry on with that idea. Just remake 4 or 5.

THE MEN CALLED STING
Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #766
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, I don't really look forward to another found-footage horror flick. It can be done well, but I've seen enough of them. Plus, the camera angles are boring and you know no one can survive.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #767
Deadpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
The first one has Kevin Bacon in it, so you should probably watch that one.
Sold. How about Idris Elba.
Quote:
Freddy Vs. Jason is a fun movie, I like it, much like the Evil Dead remake. I always remember watching it at the cinema and that part where Freddy turns around to Kelly Rowland and says "hmmmm dark meat" lol yo the other black pepz in there was like "Ohhhhhhhh" especially this group of black girls near me. Haha I just found it funny.

Came across this today;

http://screenrant.com/friday-the-13t...footage-movie/

I'm not sure that would work, but it would be something different and the series has done things out of the norm before. However I can't help but think of Halloween Resurrection when they mention this kind of idea. The only plus in that film was Busta Rhymes. For comedy reasons.

They need to go back to part 5 and carry on with that idea. Just remake 4 or 5.
Indeed. One day I'd love to make a fan film where Tommy did in fact become the new Jason.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #768
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
And I thought the remake was really good; it was a shame that it was abandoned as a new series.
Nooooo, the remake is a big pile o' dogshit!
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #769
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Nooooo, the remake is a big pile o' dogshit!
I disagree.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #770
Space Cop
The Dandy

Against the Dark (2009)

"The thing about luck is, you never know when it's going to run out."

Since it's a low-budget, direct-to-disc movie I was expecting much, but this was still mostly boring. The vampires in question are from an apocalyptic infection and may as well be zombies since they have no powers and tend to tear people apart.

Seagal is a secondary character with exception of part of act 3. Otherwise, it's about a group of survivors that are trying to get through a hospital before the generator fails and locks them in. Despite this urgency, which is repeated multiple times, they move at a rather nonchalant pace and stop many times to have unnecessary conversations.

Like in the Dead Rising games, the "scariest" bit isn't so much the infected but some crazy survivors.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #771
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

I almost watched that movie one time, but someone told me Seagal is hardly in it, and it looked like shit outside of that, so I just passed.

THE MEN CALLED STING
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #772
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Can YOU get all the references?

I got quite a damn few of them, myself. Loved the Phantom of the Paradise and The Car inclusions.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #773
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Holy crap I thought I was the only person alive who remembered Phantom Of The Paradise!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #774
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I almost watched that movie one time, but someone told me Seagal is hardly in it, and it looked like shit outside of that, so I just passed.
Good call. I don't know why I finished it except that I rarely give up on movies and pretty much never after I've watched over half an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Can YOU get all the references?

I got quite a damn few of them, myself. Loved the Phantom of the Paradise and The Car inclusions.
Well that was directed by Guillermo del Toro and he sees to reference all his films. Besides that, there's too many to name. Not surprisingly he threw in some Lovecraft even.

Quote:
Holy crap I thought I was the only person alive who remembered Phantom Of The Paradise!
I just saw that recently thanks to Agent Purple's recommendation. I love the song "Hell of It."
Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #775
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

I used to love the treehouse series, but I haven't watched Simpsons in years so therefore haven't seen those either.

I like Trejo and this movies story reminded me of the cowboy character from Preacher. Only this was no where near as good. The only good thing is Trejo himself, everything around him is poor.

Rourke as the devil, is probably one of the least interesting devil roles I've seen. The only decent bit about his role is how there is a sense of no time when he appears, as he is all over the place, like it's a dream, and he likes to poke people lol. This sadly is a movie to avoid.

Well the Tommy saga is well and truly over and it seems like some years have passed to this point. I do like how Jason has someone that can take him on. However the rest of the movie seems off key, just random kills and no real explanation to certain things, like the doctor trying to expose Tina's powers. I think you see way too much of zombie Jason too, although the final show down is pretty epic.

Sorry Dave and anyone else, but I like this movie, I'm sure it's a bit of nostalgia working its spell over me, but when I was younger, when I turned the TV on to watch some horror's this was one that was always on for some reason. I like it because it's stupid fun like Freddy vs Jason, it seems many fans don't like it because half the film is on the cruiser, fair enough. However I like horror films that are set on boats and even more I love to see urban horrors, because theirs not enough good ones out there. This film has both. Yeah I would have liked to have seen more stuff in New York too, but theirs enough to keep me happy. While this might be considered the worst, it still has probably the best two moments in the entire series.

"Go ahead. Take your best shot, motherfucker. "
*Jason Punches his head clean off, rolls down into a dumpster which then closes shut"

Hands down the best kill in the whole series, the whole build up of the boxer punching him right to the end of the roof and then what follows, just awesome.

*Jason kicks a gang's boom-box out of his way*
Gang memebr: "You're deadmeat, slimebag!"
*Jason turns to the gang and lifts his mask*
"Yo, man. It's cool. It's cool, man. It's cool."
*Gang runs off*

This is also the first movie where Jason doesn't kill everyone he see's. He just has those on the boat on his must kill list, apart from people who just literally get in his way of getting to them, he just steams passed everyone else.

Another first, is that Jason's weakness is exposed here, in that he hates water and drowning, I did like when they were under ground and he saw the toxic waste coming towards him, that he already started coughing up water and dying right there. Something I don't think you see again till Freddy vs Jason.

Yeah so overall while I can understand the hate this movie gets, I still like it, for it's stupid fun ride and stand out moments.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Last edited by Frank Castle; 10-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.