Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #301
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
How did they react to Clint having a rat in his pocket?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #302
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abin Surly View Post
How did they react to Clint having a rat in his pocket?
Tom's reaction to that scene was that it was clearly a bit actor with no talent who would never get another role.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #303
Space Cop
The Dandy

Just watched this one:

Lots of jokes about Rondo Hattan's rather unusual face.

And some about the similarity between the leading man and presidential candidate Tom Dewey.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #304
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Tom's reaction to that scene was that it was clearly a bit actor with no talent who would never get another role.
Well, he did have to change his name to "No Name" to get noticed.

Quote:
Lots of jokes about Rondo Hattan's rather unusual face.
Well, that's just mean. It wasn't like he could help it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #305
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:

Well, that's just mean. It wasn't like he could help it.
Actually, I agree. Felt a little bad for him. The movie makes a big deal of it, that he had a Dr. Doom-like accident that made him hideous to everyone. Must've been hard to take that role. "You, sir, have the right look for this movie: hideous brute."

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-14-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #306
Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K: The Brain that Wouldn't Die

Mike Nelson's first ep. I'd seen it before, but was in the mood.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #307
Space Cop
The Dandy

"Dorkin!"

Watched the Gorgo episode. I was surprised they did this one. It's a well-regarded monster flick. Interestingly, the movie is chosen by Leonard Maltin, who guest stars at the beginning and end.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #308
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
MST3K: The Brain that Wouldn't Die
Definitely a family favorite.

Quote:
Interestingly, the movie is chosen by Leonard Maltin, who guest stars at the beginning and end.
Gorgo is great! Maltin is a dick!

Last edited by Abin Surly; 08-22-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Abin Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #309
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"]Gorgo is great! Maltin is a dick!
Oddly enough, he starts by saying that he likes it but it induces catatonia (or some such) in others.

There are several I don't feel needed riffing (e.g., the first Gamera, which they admit at the end "wasn't that bad"), but the beauty of MST3K is that a lot of their jokes would work even with great films. I think my mother still has a grudge against them for riffing The Giant Gila Monster.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #310
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

I still think he's a dick.

They have sort of "apologized" for some of the shows, like Danger: Diabolik and using This Island Earth for the their big screen debut.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #311
Space Cop
The Dandy

Interesting. I still haven't watched TMP, but it shocked me they'd pick This Island Earth, which at the very least has a reputation equivalent to high-grade B movies like Them or The Thing from Outer Space.

Rifftrax will do anything. They did Carnival of Souls. How do you riff that? It's a brilliant (ahead of its time in many ways) and eery movie.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #312
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Still waiting for my DVD of "Puma Man", dagnabit!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #313
Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K: San Francisco International

[At sight of Tab Hunter] "Insert Tab A into B movie here."

A TV airport movie with Clu Gulager. Includes a troubled kid stealing a little plane and a hostage plot.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #314
Space Cop
The Dandy

Watched all three Ed Wood movies done on MST3K again.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #315
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Quote:
Jan in a Pan is another family fave around here...riffed OR not!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #316
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Jan in a Pan is another family fave around here...riffed OR not!
Like with the Ed Wood flix below, there are several I like to watch unriffed. If I'm really in the mood (as with those three), when I'm done the theatrical I watch the MST3K version.

Ones I would do that with include all their Gamera, Godzilla, and Ed Wood movies, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, The Giant Gila Monster, Eegah, Return of the Creature, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Teenagers from Outer Space, and Attack of the Killer Shrews. I'm sure there are others, but those are top-of-the-head ones.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #317
Space Cop
The Dandy

MST3K The Movie (1996)

"Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
They're very into Yes on this planet."

Finally watched the movie (because it's about to expire on Instant Netflix).

So, I have to say (1) I'm still surprised they went with This Island Earth since it has a pretty good rep among 50s B sci-fi. Also, the original is 1 hour and 28 minutes and the whole MST3K movie including bits on the satellite is 1 hour 14 minutes. I couldn't remember specifically what they cut (I feel like there was more at the science complex) since it's been years since I saw TIE, but obviously they chopped it badly.
(2) This wasn't particularly one of their funnier ones (perhaps because of comment #1). It was definitely funny, but I wouldn't rank it among the funniest they did.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #318
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

They should have stuck with the same format instead of trying to cater to the non-fans, and instead of taking on one of the better 50s sci-fi films, I think a marathon of Best/Worst of some of the movies they hadn't covered or new riffs on old clips.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #319
Space Cop
The Dandy

"I learned my vomit can rise pretty high and I can still tamp it down."

Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #320
Space Cop
The Dandy

"Cue the crappy Bert I Gordan fx."

Includes the short "Speech: Using Your Voice":

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #321
Space Cop
The Dandy

Escape 2000

"If you're into creeping around corners, this movie is for you."

This is a cheap Italian sci-fi actioner with lots of silver-clad guys walking around a dilapidated "Bronx."

Includes the inimitable Henry Silva.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #322
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Just found out that the Puma Man episode will be released on DVD on March 24th.

I was excited until I realized that it was part of a collection that costs $50. I loved that episode, but not $50 worth, and I have no particular attachment to the other three movies in the collection. I'm sure the price is dictated by the limited demand (meaning a short production run, I assume), but it is kind of a shame that it costs $50 to get a DVD collection of 4 truly lousy movies, even with the amusing commentary.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #323
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, I would love to get some of those sets, but the price is the problem. Most likely, I will get the Gamera set when I have a 1/3 off coupon for Barnes and Noble some time.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #324
Space Cop
The Dandy

FYI, Misties, Thursday night is a Fantom-events live broadcast of Rifftrax: Godzilla 1998. Check your local theaters! I'm planing to go to the local AMC, which is showing it.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #325
Space Cop
The Dandy

'Mystery Science Theater 3000' Stars Reunite in Paul Feig's Comedy 'Other Space'

Quote:
In the not-to-distant future, 2015 B.C., Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans are in for a treat: original MST3K host Joel Hodgson and co-star Trace Beaulieu will be back on the small screen. Production has begun on Other Space, the new half-hour comedy from Paul Feig (Bridesmaids, Freaks and Geeks) about a group of space explorers — including bickering siblings, burned-out veterans and, of course, robots — in the 22nd century.

"I'm thrilled to be cast with my old buddy Trace Beaulieu in the new comedy sci-fi series Other Space,” Hodgson tells Yahoo TV. "I also think fans of MST3K will be very interested in this new work that mastermind Paul Feig and his cast and crew have cooked up for Yahoo." Mystery Science Theater 3000, which followed a hapless human named Joel trapped in outer space and forced to watch bad movies by evil scientists, was named one of the best cult TV hits of all time by Entertainment Weekly.

In an exclusive video message from the set of Other Space (below), Beaulieu tells Yahoo TV about his Other Space character, a robot named Art. The cast also includes Karan Soni (Safety Not Guaranteed), Eugene Cordero (House of Lies), Milana Vayntrub (Silicon Valley), Neil Casey (Broad City, The League), and Bess Rous (Murder in the First).

Other Space casting news comes less than a week after Yahoo announced that Malin Akerman and Tom Arnold will star in another Yahoo original comedy, Sin City Saints, next year. The cult comedy Community, meanwhile, is set for a 2015 return on Yahoo as well.