Tom Kamalku and the last power ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Kamalku and the last power ring

Would it have been a good idea for DC to have given the last ring to Tom instead of Kyle? What do you think?
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    Don't know/No opinion.
    0%

I said yes, I would have liked to see Tom get the last ring. That said, they really couldn't have told the kind of story they did with Kyle, with Tom having the ring. He'd have too much knowledge of what was going on, too much incentive to try to see if he could bring back the Corps sooner rather than later, and too much history with Hal to avoid having that confrontation sooner rather than later (and probably repeatedly). Perhaps all that would have been something I personally enjoyed more, but it was obviously not the route DC wanted to go. Tom as a GL would have been more like more of the same, given his long history within the GL mythos. They wanted something completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      I said yes, I would have liked to see Tom get the last ring. That said, they really couldn't have told the kind of story they did with Kyle, with Tom having the ring. He'd have too much knowledge of what was going on, too much incentive to try to see if he could bring back the Corps sooner rather than later, and too much history with Hal to avoid having that confrontation sooner rather than later (and probably repeatedly). Perhaps all that would have been something I personally enjoyed more, but it was obviously not the route DC wanted to go. Tom as a GL would have been more like more of the same, given his long history within the GL mythos. They wanted something completely different.
      I appreciate your viewpoint, but Tom was a very different character from Hal, and the comic wouldn't have been the same at all with him as the star. And after, oh, five years or so, Kyle's bumbling got pretty darned old.

Comment

Originally posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
        I appreciate your viewpoint, but Tom was a very different character from Hal, and the comic wouldn't have been the same at all with him as the star. And after, oh, five years or so, Kyle's bumbling got pretty darned old.
        Oh definitely it got old after several points where Kyle supposedly "grew up" into a hero, only to have them portray him as a newbie yet again at some later point.

Tom may have been a different CHARACTER than Hal, but he idolized Hal, and had quite a bit of knowledge and experience with regards to the ring and the GLC. He would not have been the exact same character as Hal, but he would not, by any stretch, have been the type of character they were trying to create in Kyle, either. And his viewpoint as regards using the ring, and the value of the Corps, would have been, I think, VERY similar to Hal's, even if his personal "style" was different.

Like I said, I might well have enjoyed that more than what we got, but I don't think it would have been as BIG of a change as they were going for.

Comment

Yes, but they must call him Pieface and constantly have editorial boxes calling him an Eskimo mechanic.

Comment

I voted no. That wasn't what Tom's character was about. Leaving aside he's a supporting cast member, you'd have to change Tom's character drastically to make it work. And I wouldn't want him changed like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
              I voted no. That wasn't what Tom's character was about. Leaving aside he's a supporting cast member, you'd have to change Tom's character drastically to make it work. And I wouldn't want him changed like that.
              But he doesn't get used at all now does he? And at some point he can older and get another, more impressive role. Like head of technology at Ferris Aircraft, say.

Anyway, nobody is going to use a supporting cast in GL until I write it. Then you'll see one.

No Earth-based stories till then either.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-14-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I miss Ferris Air, Hal's job there and his supporting cast. The mythos don't feel complete without it. It's like Superman without the Daily Planet, Lois, Jimmy, Perry etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                  I miss Ferris Air, Hal's job there and his supporting cast. The mythos don't feel complete without it. It's like Superman without the Daily Planet, Lois, Jimmy, Perry etc.
                  When it comes time, you know who to tell DC to make the writer. Even if you haven't read any of my damned issues. In a couple of months I'm going to start pouring them out, and Tom will be a major player in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    Yes, but they must call him Pieface and constantly have editorial boxes calling him an Eskimo mechanic.
                    In issue #5 of Green Lantern that I'm going to write, an angry Carol is going to hit Tom in the face with a pie. You'll get the joke.
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-15-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
                      In issue #5 of Green Lantern that I'm going to write, an angry Carol is going to hit Tom in the face with a pie. You'll get the joke.
                      You could have her upset with Hal about something, and she throws the pie meaning to smack Hal, but he ducks and it hits Tom in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                        You could have her upset with Hal about something, and she throws the pie meaning to smack Hal, but he ducks and it hits Tom in the face.
                        In the story she gets mad at Tom when he honestly expresses how he feels about Carl.

Yeah, imagine that. Actually using supporting characters who don't have super-powers.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 05-18-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Tom had a great showing in that GL: Last Will and Testament graphic novel, but I agree that it wouldn't have been the clean break DC needed to try to get new readers involved.

Personally I would have preferred that they had fridged Kyle and have Alex end up with the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
                            Tom had a great showing in that GL: Last Will and Testament graphic novel, but I agree that it wouldn't have been the clean break DC needed to try to get new readers involved.

Personally I would have preferred that they had fridged Kyle and have Alex end up with the ring.
                            I thought Tom or Arisia would have been good successors to Hal. I never thought about it at the time, but putting Hal in a Parallax title then rather than just not using him would have been a good move.

John and Guy should have starred in a GLC title.

Comment

Working...
                            X