Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the change is actually happening in issue #17.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
      EXACTLY! Thank you SC! I'm trying to make this guy see reason here. I don't say this because I want to keep the character of Kyle down or competing with Hal, John or Guy, I say it because it's in the best interest of the character.

If I wanted to be petty (which I ADMIT, it IS hard not to be sometimes), I would just say, hell yeah, give Kyle another upgrade! Being a White Lantern isn't HIGH enough. Mix the 1st Lantern, Phantom Lantern, and White Lantern rings into one Uber ring, and have Kyle's body be the power battery his power siphons through. And while we're at it, have him traverse universes and have Kyle snatch the Cosmic Cube and Infinity Gauntlet, and wear the Cosmic Cube in a crown. And come up with some shitbag story about how THIS was his "destiny" all along.

See where I'm going with this Ion? At what point does Kyle stop being the character that you fell in love with back in the day? He doesn't need any of this Godhood crap...none of them do. Well, Baz and Cruz just need to be killed off, but Alan, Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all need to be protected and reigned in to what made them appeal to their audiences in the first place.
      amen BDD, the upgrade stuff seemingly was done to appease the fanbase but in the end it did the character much more harm than good. Oh yeah your guy is more powerful per se now watch as he sits in a corner away from where all the action is but he is more powerful for what it's worth. If good writers can write the Legion of Super Heroes and give each member a distinct voice then, the Green Lantern franchise can handle doing the same for the 7 earth lanterns: Hal, Alan, John, Guy, Kyle, Jess and Simon. Though I really don't feel the need for the last two a good enough writer can make them useful (just not as the Green Lanterns of Earth).

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
        how much do they typically run? I was on the CBR forum today and saw this sweet Parallax vs Thanos one done by Darryl Banks, I was thinking of getting him to do one for me (his Parallax is one of my favorite things anywhere).
        It really depends on how popular/big the artist is and what level of detail you want. I've seen anywhere from a couple of hundred to well over a grand.

Comment

I would just say, hell yeah, give Kyle another upgrade! Being a White Lantern isn't HIGH enough. Mix the 1st Lantern, Phantom Lantern, and White Lantern rings into one Uber ring, and have Kyle's body be the power battery his power siphons through. And while we're at it, have him traverse universes and have Kyle snatch the Cosmic Cube and Infinity Gauntlet, and wear the Cosmic Cube in a crown. And come up with some shitbag story about how THIS was his "destiny" all along.
          now that i'd buy (and no i'm not joking)

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
          Looks like the change is actually happening in issue #17.
          well f@ck looks like i'm out after #17 then

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Well said EmeraldGladiator. Especially about the uber hero sitting in a corner. Some consolation prize!

Here's a good example. The Spectre is one of my favorite heroes/characters. The JSA is my all time favorite team, of which the Spectre was a founding member. But he made a TERRIBLE member. He was written out of the ASC strip, and has only been used sparingly with the team ever since. He either does a cameo, or acts as deus ex machine for the story. He's just too powerful and has to be written around so the team has something to do to overcome the obstacle. And really, same goes for Green Lantern and Dr Fate. You have to write something to tie their hands for the duration of the story or they'd logically do all the legwork themselves.

They shouldn't have to do that in Green Lantern stories. I cringe every time I see one of them has to be kept occupied because this year's version of whatever human GL has the ability to shoot Omega Beams out of his asshole and is too powerful to take part in your tale.

Comment

• Originally posted by IonFan View Post
              now that i'd buy (and no i'm not joking)
              You are f&#king KIDDING me. TELL me you are pulling my Goddamn leg right now Ion.

Comment

• the more powerful argument is cool for message board wars but I would have no problem with John Stewart being called the 'greatest GL of all time' as long as Hal had a book of his own with a kick ass creative team writing mind blowing stories. I remember as a kid arguing Green Lantern is better than Superman in the playground and when it got heated sighting that DC Comics Presents #26 cover with Hal with the giant kryptonite meteor on Clark; I was 10 when it came out. As I grew older I realized that anybody can beat anybody else in their own title. Which was why I had no problem when John kicked Hal's butt in a very unique manner in Mosaic.

In the end though you want the best stories for your favorite characters. I have no problem accepting that not everyone's GLC earth Lantern hierarchy matches my own. In fact I would love it if there was a third Green Lantern renaissance (after the Gerard Jones and Geoff Johns ones funny how they both have the same initials like the whole Superman LL thing) that got each of the five earth Lanterns (Hal, Alan, John, Guy and Kyle) their own titles. Maybe then we can drag Darryl Banks into drawing a Kyle book and Par(Hal)lax can be his main foe as well as bringing back Grayven, Nero and Effigy. That is a book I would buy and enjoy. I must admit I haven't enjoyed any of the Kyle books (he is featured in) Post GL:Rebirth or his portrayal since GL:Rebirth.

Comment

And that costume! How can you as a Kyle fan NOT be all over that like white on rice?!?
                  Because Ion is nuts

Last GL Kyle is best Kyle

Comment

You are f&#king KIDDING me. TELL me you are pulling my Goddamn leg right now Ion.
                    (what part of "no i'm not joking" did you not get )

nope, i have always said Kyle should be the be all end all Lantern

loved him as Green

really loved him as ION the 1st time around

was ok with him as ION the 2nd time around (just didn't like the art inside the book)

liked the idea of him when he went Super-Lantern

would of loved to see more of him when he went Uber-Lantern

BUT was willing to settle with him as the White-Lantern

after all that anything else is a downgrade

IonFan says

Comment

• They got the costume back, let's hope the character itself returns. Though they should've just went with his classic logo too.

~//V\\~

Comment

• Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #17 Variant by Kevin Nowlan

Green Lanterns #19 Cover by Leonardo Manco

Green Lantern/Space Ghost Special #1 Cover by Doug Mahnke

Comment

• Comment

• Sold!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                              $29.99................................. f@ck that

and i'm a big time kyle fan that yes missed most of his 1st run but d@mn i'm not made out of money ( it's not like i've got to pay the feds $600 and got a woman to support)

IonFan says

Comment

• Originally posted by IonFan View Post
                                ...and i'm a big time kyle fan that yes missed most of his 1st run ...
                                Really? Most Kyle fans seem to have been hooked in his early days. What point did you jump on?

Comment

Working...
                                X