Getting Familiarized with Kyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Familiarized with Kyle

I just ordered issues 145-175 Green Lantern (1990) and the first two volumes of New Guardians! I'm excited because I am a latecomer to Green Lantern, and I really like Kyle in 00s and 10s Lantern and Corps, and of course the Justice League.

I realize I'm starting kind of late in the Kyle run (I might be wrong, but I think the run I bought starts with Kyle about to become Ion? Not sure), but I found a great deal and love GL so much I'll just jump in and make up for the earlier issues later (I have most of 80s Lantern and Corps).

Anyhow, I'm really excited to go on adventures with Kyle!

Ion was decent. The early Kyle run from 51-100 in volume three was a lot of fun as he tries to really figure it all out. From getting the ring to the real cost of being a hero.

Some of my favorite Kyle is in Morrison's JLA run too.
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
      Ion was decent. The early Kyle run from 51-100 in volume three was a lot of fun as he tries to really figure it all out. From getting the ring to the real cost of being a hero.

Some of my favorite Kyle is in Morrison's JLA run too.
      I just discovered Morrison's run recently, the first volume in particular was just so great! I loved the writing, art...awesome. I'm now appreciating Meltzer, especially the first part of the Lightning.

Comment

I can echo the earlier adventures of Kyle were the best consecutive read, standout stories were the Hero Quest arc where Kyle teamed with Alan Scott and Batman in the first issue, Captain Marvel the second, and Wonder Woman the third. I also read the New Titans title around that time when Kyle was on one of those odd eras of the Titans where it had adults and teens alike including Donna Troy as a Darkstar, Damage, and Supergirl. That also came up a lot in Kyle's adventures before Morrison's JLA, mostly due to dating Donna Troy. Everything Marz wrote with Effigy was also awesome, between issues #112 and #125 with a few good stand alone issue stories in between....

I enjoyed the series all the way to the end of Winick's run around issue #162. When Raab took over writing it went downhill fast. Winick made Kyle sound more mature and the voice seemed off at times, but for the most part his run wasn't bad and Hand of God [Ion 1.0] was one of my favorite Kyle stories. Then Kyle's new voice and extended vocabulary made sense LOL

~M~
        Ωmega Man
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-04-2016, 02:56 AM.

Comment

I'm neither a Kyle fan nor a Kyle hater, but I definitely liked early Kyle more than later. Unlike -M-, though, I hated Winnick's run and actually quit comics for a while during that period (I later made up the issues).

Comment

Originally posted by -M- View Post
            I can echo the earlier adventures of Kyle were the best consecutive read, standout stories were the Hero Quest arc where Kyle teamed with Alan Scott and Batman in the first issue, Captain Marvel the second, and Wonder Woman the third. I also read the New Titans title around that time when Kyle was on one of those odd eras of the Titans where it had adults and teens alike including Donna Troy as a Darkstar, Damage, and Supergirl.

~M~
            WOW! Gotta dig up those issues, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              I'm neither a Kyle fan nor a Kyle hater, but I definitely liked early Kyle more than later. Unlike -M-, though, I hated Winnick's run and actually quit comics for a while during that period (I later made up the issues).
              The one thing that saved the book when Winick gave Kyle a larger vocabulary, and the forced introduction of his gay assistant complete with a Hate Crime story, was the art of Dale Eaglesham. Sure he didn't pencil every issue, but thankfully Banks was still doing an issue here and there, as well as Eric Battle and Jamal Igle.

The first three issues of Winick's run beginning with #129 had Kyle facing off against Manhunters, the following arc While Rome Burned introduced Kyle's Sinestro, Nero. I preferred Effigy as his arch myself, but Nero wasn't bad. Hand of God came afterwards and then it was clear this was what Winick was really brought on to do. While I didn't get all the one shots, the Circle of Fire mini event around the time was good too and introduced Oblivion.

~M~

Comment

Working...
              X