Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
    Which theater were you in?
    It was #10. I showed up right before the trailers started rolling. Picked out a seat, then took another a few rows closer.

I didn't realize so many people loved Harry Potter. As a GL-fan, I was a little jealous for the applause.

Comment

I was thinking about the uniformly terrible reviews. Some called it a train wreck and some left me expecting something akin to the trainwreck that is Batman & Robin.

Anyone think the critics decided to flex their muscle due to the embargo? Show WB they can take a movie down when they try to control their output?

Because I see very little difference between this and Thor as far as pacing, humor, etc go. They liked Thor, but seemed to hate GL.

So I'm thinking a lot of critics had an ulterior motive, even subconscious - especially if they watched the movie knowing they had to sit on the review. WB has another huge movie, the last HP, hitting next month and probably used that as a way to enforce the embargo.

Comment

You have to realize this is the first time ppl are meeting, seeing and getting GL on the screen where it took multiple films of batman to get it right so its not exactly an equal level to say GL should be on the Dark Knights level.

I know this is very very controversial...God bless his soul, his life achievements and memories he made, but honestly if Heath Ledger had not passed away...there wouldnt of been that martyr momentum in TDK. I actually do think Batman Begins was alot better than TDK (in my opinion of course!!!!!!!!!!!).

But aside from GL i think it did well for its first appearance. I had alot of fun watching it. the only thing I will gripe about was the story line. We could have used more training scenes with kilowog and more condescending remarks from sinestro or more explanations of things. I understand where critics talk about the pace of the movie like the unnecessary love scenes. Dude what the hell? Carol CLEARLY was not giving it up so they wasted alot of time on her part.

I think they shouldve done less and concentrated more on their themes. Like dig deeper into what martin jordan meant to hal, or the estranged ties of the remaining Jordan family. Actually see more of Jordans fears. Or go deeper into the character of Hector Hammond. Most people didnt understand his powers and physiology. blah blah blah

i honestly think they shouldve went for the emerald dawn story line. The soul searching, the stepping up to the plate and beating all odds, wouldve been cool to see him jump into the battery!

but! I give it 7.5/10...but it is definitely above the level of spiderman 2!!!

Comment

^
          ^

A critic is no more entitled to their opinions than you are.

Even the celebrated ones like Siskel & Elbert have had debatable judgments in the past, and the advent of the internet means the quantity of the Critic skyrockets while the quality baseline plummets.

I was so scared due to comparisons to the likes of X3, Wolvie, and Bats & Rob and, having seen the film, I think those detractors need to watch those would-be peers again. It wasn't a perfect movie and could have been better but, as aforementioned, it could have been so much worse according to the list of superhero films.

These are the critics I usually go to nowadays - http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/g...n-audio-review - and I get their points of criticism but also their appreciation and good will for GL. Many other critics just seem to have been gunning for the Emerald Avenger well before they saw it in theaters, if at all.
          Bat22
          Guy's Drinking Buddy
          Last edited by Bat22; 06-17-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

The reason you feel like plots were left to hang is because there were too many.

They didn't need Hector Hammond. At all.
            Except as a plot device. He provided a much better excuse to put earth and Carol in danger than Parallax randomly choosing that.

Comment

I liked GL over all, as a fan, finally seeing Oa, Hal, et al realized on the screen. With a more objective view (which is impossible, anyway), I'd have to agree with those who say it's average for a comic movie.

BTW: loved Kilowog's "Gravity's a bitch!"

Originally posted by lanternjv37 View Post
              ... I actually do think Batman Begins was alot better than TDK (in my opinion of course!!!!!!!!!!!).
              but! I give it 7.5/10...but it is definitely above the level of spiderman 2!!!
              I actually like BB better than TDK (which I still liked). My parents (who aren't comic fans) did too. And I'm apparently in a small minority for not even liking Spiderman 2.

Comment

+1 for another who ultimately puts BATMAN BEGINS ahead of DARK KNIGHT. And you're free to dislike Spidey 2. I just want to know what film version of Spidey 3 all these critics saw to respond so freaking positively.

Comment

lol bat22, goodness i forgot to add in, my line of this is representing only how i feel and how i perceive my likes and dislikes as to each is his own is very true and everyone is entitled to feeling different!

but just like thor which i enjoyed alot, GL has adversity of making it big, where everyone wants the down to earth, real person feel to the movie. but GL is more than that and is above not only earth, but galaxies!! What made batman begins so great to me was how human i felt bruce wayne was in finding his true identity and his transformation. their dialogue, themes and adversities to overcome within the movie were so rich...and of course easy to identify to.

where as with GL we only dabbed our foot in the water with numerous amount of themes like what hals father meant and how his death made a rift in the surviving jordan family, i wouldve loved more flashbacks to him in the airforce, him and carol, or even maybe a HS reunion because there happened to be a previous history between hector carol and hal..but i have a feeling they were there but cut out due to time purposes.

again, i didnt mean to offend anyone or try to argue about what topples eachother, im happy that were getting our comic book heroes on the screen at the end of the day

Comment

lol and to give ppl my credibility of self perceptive tastes..

...i enjoyed spiderman 3 alot. :-P

seriously though i liked how they made topher grace the opposite end of the spectrum, anti-Peter Parker....

Comment

Thought the film was good, not great. Only because I expected the worse. Had I gone into this thing thinking it was going to be amazing, I would have hated it.

The 3D blew me away during the opening scene, but mostly just blew throughout. it looked as if most of the conversion hadn't been rendered fully.

The footage during the credits, while awesome, had absolutely no build up. would have like it much more if maybe he sat there and thought about it for a sec as opposed to what we saw.

Overall it was pretty decent graphics in a pretty shitty script.

Poor Nick Jones is going to lose his credit on IMDB now.
                      "Build a man a fire, he'll stay warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life."

Comment

Originally posted by Bat22 View Post
                        +1 for another who ultimately puts BATMAN BEGINS ahead of DARK KNIGHT.
                        I personally enjoyed Batman Begins more than Dark Knight. I don't mean to necessarily argue that it was a better movie, just that I enjoyed it more. It was a bit less harrowing to watch, a bit less intense. It was just more fun, IMHO.

Comment

I went to the midnight show last night and I LOVED IT! This is the movie I've been waiting for since 1984!!!

The fanboy in me has a few nits to pick, but they got so many things right, I can live with a few small missteps. Here's the cons In My Opinion:
                          1. TOO DAMN SHORT! WANT MORE!!! Let's hope there's a Director's Cut to come on DVD & Blu-Ray. There's DEFINITELY scenes that were planned & presumably filmed, but then cut out. I want those scenes back in the movie! Give it the run time of 2+ hours that it DESERVES!
                          2. I am not so much a fan of the new origin for Parallax... or should I say KRONA, as in this version of the story, THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME. What the hell happened there? Why in the hell did the comic give us this teaser image...

...when the comic's yellow space bug isn't in the movie AT ALL?!?
                          3. Also, NOT a fan of the Guardians being responsible for harnessing the yellow energy of Fear, gathering it all up, and creating the yellow power ring themselves. In the comics, the Guardians have made their share of bad decisions, but COME ON! Now we have no anti-matter universe, no Weaponers of Qward, nothing. They could have at least had PARALLAX create the yellow ring! That would have at least made more sense.
                          4. Needed MORE action from the Corps! Why show us the entire Corps gathered, and then only show us 4-5 in action at one time? Also, I'm not entirely sure which GLs bought the farm, because the scene was so dark. I'm about 99% sure I saw G'hu and Isamot Kol buy it, but who else got snuffed?
                          5. Speaking of the Corps, I was disappointed to learn (from Constructing Green Lantern) that the movie's character designers only designed about 2 dozen unique GLs for the movie, and the rest of the Corps were just "filled in" by recombining parts from the 24 or 25 that were designed. It's a pretty sad state of affairs, IMO, when the artists that HAND-DRAW the comics and animated movies show us MORE unique GLs in a given scene than the makers of the live action movie. It would have been ridiculously easy to take a few actors, throw some makeup or masks on them, stick them in a spandex motion capture suit, and have a few more humanoid GLs mixed in for more diversity. Let's hope they design more fan favorite characters for the sequel(s) and improve that a bit.
                          6. Where the hell was John Stewart, as played by Nick Jones? I know it was only a cameo, but this must have been one of those "blink and you miss it" deals, 'cuz I didn't see him.
                          So, in spite of all that, I still have to give this one out of 5! Pretty good, definitely superior to Green Lantern: First Flight in many ways! Now bring on the Extended Director's Cut DVD & Blu-Ray, and then the SEQUEL!

Comment

The reason you feel like plots were left to hang is because there were too many.

They didn't need Hector Hammond. At all.

i agree doc. i mean hey it was a nice attempt to give the fans what they wanted but it just didnt sit well for the movie.

im still at a confused wtf thought because i enjoyed it but i also feel that something also didnt click right.
                            .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                              Couldn't agree more. I went in with low expectations, and even then was let down. Hell, I went in for free, and I still wanted my money back.

Comment

I and another die-hard GL fan of mine saw it last night at the midnight premiere and we loved it.

However, I am fully aware that I can't give a completely unbias review of the film because I was in awe of the film alot of the time. It was a VERY fun experience. I went in with cautious optimism.

Hal was amazing with the constructs and I was actually cool with the changes they made like the origin of Parallax. (glad it wasn't just a cloud that doesn't speak like Galactus was in Fantastic Four 2)

Of course, I would have liked to see more Corps stuff. Would have been nice if they would have backed up Hal on Earth.

The ending with Hal using the planes w/ straps to prevent him from getting pulled into the sun...YES! 1,000X YES!

There were some moments that the effects made me cringe for a millisecond but my Lantern love allowed me to forgive that and the few other weaknesses in the film.

It wasn't a perfect movie but it was better than I expected it would be. It was awesome to see something I love on the big screen. Hal's backstory (his dad and brothers) and other things made me smile b/c I knew the story and got all the references in the movie.

"Sapphire" lol...Carol Ferris. I wasn't on board with the casting of Blake Lively to play her. Didn't think she was strong enough personality for the role but she surprised me. I liked her.

Sinestro = perfect. Hal = Ryan exceeded expectations (I was in the Nathan Fillion camp prior)

Sinestro v. Hal on Oa!!!! EPIC! How do you block a chainsaw? LOL

Plus, at the midnight premiere, they asked trivia questions for prizes and I won the $50 Green Lantern Sculpted Resin Lantern symbol bookends and the Black Lantern Hawkgirl action figure!!!

I walked out of the theater VERY HAPPY!

Comment

Working...
                                X