• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
      I once asked a guy why he didn't read GL, and he said, "The ring constructs are stupid." I reported that on the old DC GL board, and of course the fanboys went wild with moral indignation.
      I get that now. During the days of the Justice League cartoons, specifically the first two seasons, there was a lot of criticism about how John Stewart utilized the ring to make simple laser blasts, force fields, bubbles, and so on. Now, I fully understand why that was done.

Maybe I totally realized it after seeing the Green Lantern movie, and seeing how goofy and terrible looking the constructs were. It's kinda' hard to take a guy seriously who drops pianos down on enemies, or anvils, or hits enemies with trains, or makes stegosauruses, plungers, and things like that. I understand the appeal of that type of stuff, and I think it works in some settings, but I can totally see how some people wouldn't be into that kind of thing.

For live action, I would probably go more the route of what was done on the JL cartoons, with more fancy stuff thrown in sparingly.
      Star-Lantern
      Weaponer of Qward
      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-27-2014, 07:34 AM.
      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
        I get that now. During the days of the Justice League cartoons, specifically the first two seasons, there was a lot of criticism about how John Stewart utilized the ring to make simple laser blasts, force fields, bubbles, and so on. Now, I fully understand why that was done.

Maybe I totally realized it after seeing the Green Lantern movie, and seeing how goofy and terrible looking the constructs were. It's kinda' hard to take a guy seriously who drops pianos down on enemies, or anvils, or hits enemies with trains, or makes stegosauruses, plungers, and things like that. I understand the appeal of that type of stuff, and I think it works in some settings, but I can totally see how some people wouldn't be into that kind of thing.

For live action, I would probably go more the route of what was done on the JL cartoons, with more fancy stuff thrown in sparingly.
        I think those criticisms were well founded, and if anything, the GL movie didn't delve deeply enough into constructs. One of my favorite constructs was Kyle making the electric chair for Major Force. That's the kind of complex creations that will make GL seems like he belongs with Superman and Batman in live action. Forget blasts and bubbles, I want to see Hal/John/Kyle create something like an iron maiden and stick Mongul in it.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Man, the constructs were part of what I really liked in the movie! To people who saw the movie but don't know the comics, I used the street battle between Hal and Parallax as an example of why GL is my favorite superhero. In about a minute he catapults a shot back to his enemy, springs an oil tanker into the air, shoots it with an anti-aircraft gun, and defends himself with a riot shield. That was like the essence of GL to me. I thought they all looked pretty good. I guess the car and track could be considered lame, but since it's used for a gag, it diffuses that aspect of it. Also, Sinestro's swords were really cool.

That said, if the GLC were real, probably in the heat of battle you'd resort to simple blasts and bubbles for pragmatic reasons.

Comment

From the credits page in Larfleeze #9:

"Nine issues in, and Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatteis & Scott Kolins still haven't been fired! But keep your hopes up, folks; we're working on it!"
            Reap what you sow, dipshits.

Comment

Yeah, they've been throwing in references like that all along (did in Threshold too). I guess that way they can brag when they end at a whole year of issues.

Comment

Well, yeah, I think it makes sense for Green Lantern fans to like the constructs, because that's part of Green Lantern's whole deal. But I can totally understand the flip side where some people would think the constructs are dumb, though, and an impediment to them liking the character. And when I consider it, I have to admit that the constructs often are rather silly.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Wrong thread.

Comment

Maybe now he can go back to being the miserable, nasty, out of control villain he was intended to be instead of the goofy comic relief he should never have been.

Comment

I agree, though it might be too late. Larfleeze would have worked very well if they'd used him sparingly, and as a serious villain for darker, more horror oriented stories. People may never forget what a joke he is now. It's unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                        We need a retcon that'll erase the past ten years of GL. Just like Rebirth retconned the previous sixty.

Like I've been saying for years... "Green Lantern: Stillbirth," a 5 issue mini-series that gently retcons away all of Geoff's retcons and self-cons of the past 10 years and gets things back to a more manageable place to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                          I agree, though it might be too late. Larfleeze would have worked very well if they'd used him sparingly, and as a serious villain for darker, more horror oriented stories. People may never forget what a joke he is now. It's unfortunate.
                          I agree. Just got myself issue #10 and I think the issue tries to be funny by making use of Larfreeze egoistic attitude. Far from the Agent Orange character prelude to the Blackest Night. That creature is dark and scary.

http://www.green-bloggers-site.com

Comment

Originally posted by greenblogger View Post
                            I agree. Just got myself issue #10 and I think the issue tries to be funny by making use of Larfreeze egoistic attitude. Far from the Agent Orange character prelude to the Blackest Night. That creature is dark and scary.
                            I can't even read it. I have 11 comics on my nightstand waiting to read that I am going to have to force myself to get through. And Larfleeze is at the very BOTTOM of that pile. I keep going to the comic shop to get my stuff but I just can't find the strength to read them.

Comment

They're truly awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                                I can't even read it. I have 11 comics on my nightstand waiting to read that I am going to have to force myself to get through. And Larfleeze is at the very BOTTOM of that pile. I keep going to the comic shop to get my stuff but I just can't find the strength to read them.
                                So are you one of those guys who slowly peels back the bandaid after it's curling and yellowing with age?
                                Me, I'm a rip that sucker off, eat all your vegetables before dessert kind of guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X