The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Rate GL #20
* 4 7.02%
** 3 5.26%
*** 9 15.79%
**** 15 26.32%
***** 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #176
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
If Geoff had not done ANY future forecasting at all, merely told the story with a final "let's start a new day" at the end, I think the story would have been 50% better. Never try to lay down a future no editor is going to adhere to. Which, none will. It just becomes another Elseworlds.
How does that make the story less so?
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #177
hazardfilms
Parallax Host

Thanks to this thread, I just found out I paid $7.99 for it.

I gotta start looking at those receipts!

hazardfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #178
Tandaemonium
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
No such thing as forced reading. Everything can be learned in context
You mean like the dozen times Major Force died and mysteriously appeared again? Context did wonders for that.
Tandaemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #179
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
You mean like the dozen times Major Force died and mysteriously appeared again? Context did wonders for that.
Then he just showed up again. Simple.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #180
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

Read the issues today and loved it. I question tho, are these futures that are told definitive or are these what would happen to the characters in "Geoffs GL universe" and what we are going to continue reading in issues #21 is something new??? or like another take on hal..idk confused :/
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #181
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
If Geoff had not done ANY future forecasting at all, merely told the story with a final "let's start a new day" at the end, I think the story would have been 50% better. Never try to lay down a future no editor is going to adhere to. Which, none will. It just becomes another Elseworlds.
If it's an Elseworlds can the new writers just pretend Geoff's run never happened? If so the future forecasting makes the book 100% times better.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #182
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
And will continue to now that he's gone. Writers are temporary. Fandom is forever!
Fandom is a disease. Like cancer.

Last edited by Hypo; 05-24-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #183
GLspotlight
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GLspotlight

My review for the book and entire run is up now: http://youtu.be/bP9SC6sepdI
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #184
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
No such thing as forced reading. Everything can be learned in context
Quote:
Then he just showed up again. Simple.
Well, apparently, that does it for you, but for us more obsessive-compulsive types, it does not. I can't just know that Hal fought so-and-so in an issue I missed. I have to know what happened even if I don't like it.

That said, I haven't felt truly compelled to buy a GL I didn't want probably until the Wrath arc. The last time that happened (Winnick's run) I actually did quit and then I ended up having to spend a lot more money to get those back issues because I had to complete my series 3 and I had to know what happened. I'll never do that again. I'll be a GL insider through thick or thin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchBearer2814 View Post
Read the issues today and loved it. I question tho, are these futures that are told definitive or are these what would happen to the characters in "Geoffs GL universe" and what we are going to continue reading in issues #21 is something new??? or like another take on hal..idk confused :/
They're not necessarily permanent (they can obviously be retconned), but for now that is the direction the other writers are forced to take. Jordan (new writer for New Guardians) for instance said he will continue with Kyle as WL since Johns said that was his future.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #185
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Fandom is a disease. Like cancer.
This a thousand times this.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #186
Space Cop
The Dandy

I don't know. I've known a lot of people who have suffered and died from cancer. Haven't met one who did from fandom.

At any rate, what counts? I mean I would've very clearly pegged Hypo as a Superman fan and Iggy as a Pokemon fan.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #187
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern

I actually haven't been buying the regular GL title anymore save for the latest issue. I bought this issue mainly because I'm excited about the new upcoming stuff and felt compelled to get it. I think for a lot of us, we're such big fans of Green Lantern in general that we'll sometimes continue to follow the goings on of it, even if we consistently don't like what's happening.

One thing I really don't like about Johns' GL is that his crap seems to be the only stuff that matters anymore. Like, in the latest issue, when the book keeper is talking about Hal's exploits, we get a brief snippet of pre-Johns exploits and then a bunch of stuff that Johns wrote. I understand that he couldn't take 20 pages to tell the in-depth story of Hal Jordan, but it still felt very unbalanced.

When I consider Green Lantern sometimes, I'm not even sure if I recognize it anymore. I understand all the changes Green Lantern has gone through from the silver age up till now, with different characters at the helm, sometimes the corps is there and sometimes it isn't, but even with the corps and Guardians present, this stuff seems to be the most jarring.

Now there's all this hullabaloo about emotions and colored corps, and dragons or whatever living inside big power batteries and stuff. I can see adding some stuff to widen the mythos, but the thing is, that's what it seems to be ALL ABOUT now, and it's been that way for years. It's freakin' tiring. And so are the endless, cataclysmic space wars (and this is coming from someone who supports primarily cosmic stuff). And then there's all this revised history. None of these concepts are even that great to me. They just make Green Lantern almost seem like something else.

It's too bad that the new writers will have to work with all this crap and I really don't have much interest in seeing it anymore. That said, even with all this dumb stuff floating around, it's possible to tell good stories, so I'm still looking forward to things with high hopes. But to be honest, even if it seems somewhat sloppy, I wouldn't be very opposed to a lot of Johns' concepts being completely ignored, and I feel that would be poetic justice for him, considering what little respect he seems to have for GL history, no matter what he may say. Of course, we all know that's not what is going to happen.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #188
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
I just love that all you people who have been hating Geoff Johns since the beginning or since 2009 have still continued to buy the book.
Didn't hate Geoff at the beginning, or in the middle. Disliking the product disgorged in his name has been an acquired taste. Especially since he washed his hands of this title OVER A YEAR AGO and probably let some second-string hack finish it off for him. He's been too busy with Aquaman, Justice League, and other such projects to sully his hands with anything but GL story treatments for others to illustrate and try to salvage.

GL fan since 1960. Why should I quit (again, for the third time) now? Only economics forced me out before. Nothing like having the complete run.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #189
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
GL fan since 1960. Why should I quit (again, for the third time) now? Only economics forced me out before. Nothing like having the complete run.
I feel ya there. It's so hard to walk away when you have a complete collection of something from 1959 to today. Especially when you know you'll just come back eventually and have to track down everything you missed in the meantime.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #190
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Having a complete run means nothing.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #191
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

I liked it.
Tha "happy endings" for everyone reminded me of the futures that Waverider would "see" in anyone he touched in the Armageddon 2001 Annuals
Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #192
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Having a complete run means nothing.
Sure it does. It means you have a complete run. It means when someone says are you a Green Lantern fan you can answer "I have every issue." BTW: I'm not there yet but it's a life goal. It's collecting. I love to collect. When I finally bought the last issues to complete my vol. 3 run it was a very happy moment.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #193
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Sure it does. It means you have a complete run. It means when someone says are you a Green Lantern fan you can answer "I have every issue." BTW: I'm not there yet but it's a life goal. It's collecting. I love to collect. When I finally bought the last issues to complete my vol. 3 run it was a very happy moment.
I guess I'm wired differently. I don't care for the complete run in single issues, but I do love complete runs in trade formats so I can reread them and they look great on my shelf.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #194
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Didn't hate Geoff at the beginning, or in the middle. Disliking the product disgorged in his name has been an acquired taste. Especially since he washed his hands of this title OVER A YEAR AGO and probably let some second-string hack finish it off for him. He's been too busy with Aquaman, Justice League, and other such projects to sully his hands with anything but GL story treatments for others to illustrate and try to salvage.
Where do you people get these make believe stories? What makes you believe that? There is nothing that would even suggest that Johns would do such a thing. Taking credit for someone else's work is something that Johns, who I think is a high character guy, would not do.
"Chosen" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #195
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

I really enjoyed GL 20. It's jammed with everything good and bad about Johns' run, amped up to 12. I loved the huge heroics on display, the reinforcement of the Green Lantern Corps' importance to the DCU, the Guardians' demise and most of all, the creative redemption of Sinestro. From here forward, any writer who falls back into portraying him as a power mad despot is being overtly lazy. I also want an Injustice skin of Parallax Sinestro!
  • There is plenty to pick at, from a continuity standpoint. When his dangling plot threads don't tie up, Johns peppers in the fanservice. I love G'nort, but where the hell did he come from? End of game big boss battle? There's sure to be a scene of Guy, Kyle and John leading the cavalry; it's cliché at this point.
  • Johns not only made Sinestro and Hal complimentary characters, but he ended up making Sinestro and Atrocitus very similar, in the end. Both lost their worlds, both got their vengeance on the Guardians. A shame Johns himself didn't explore that shift.
  • Simon Baz ultimately meant little to the First Lantern story, despite all the buildup. It will be interesting to see how he's used going forward, especially with the teaser of a future female human GL.
  • Can't praise the art enough. Doug Mahnke proves he's one of the best in comics with his engaging, gorgeously detailed illustrations. The guest spreads blend in nicely, contained mostly to the flash forwards.
  • Ultimately, Johns did an excellent of bookending his entire run, reprised the larger themes and reconciled Hal Jordan's relationship with Sinestro. He put everything back in the sandbox, along with a whole load of new toys for Venditti and other writers to play with.
4/5 stars. Bring on the new teams and some fresh takes.

Last edited by DougG_ATL; 05-25-2013 at 09:47 PM.
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #196
Fearless
Agent Orange

Figured I'd pop in and give my two cents...

G'nort showed up. That was kinda funny.

Geoff Johns... has a very distinctive style, and was clearly book-ending his run with what he thought was best for the fans to see. Fan service has always been a big thing with him, and I love Geoff for that. The story as a whole, while containing some forgettable parts, was great. It packed every character under the sun into this issue, with everyone having a moment to shine, if not here, then in their own epilogues to the series in their respective titles.

As for the final fates we were given for all the of the characters... I'm not mad at Johns for writing it, as most of them do feel like they complete the characters surprisingly well (Baz having something of a humble ending was fitting enough, and Kyle ending up as "Space Jesus" wasn't all that bad considering he started out as Space Jesus, essentially...) My main problem was that, me being my cynical, ol' self, knows that there is no possible way these endings can be delivered in any sort of permanent or meaningful way, as the next run with the next set of creators or the next revamp will just wash all that away. So, really, it's great to see, but hollow at the same time because I know it won't last.

I'm almost certain we'll see the "death" of the Justice League and Jessica Cruz, as that was almost certainly promotion for upcoming arcs and the like, but stuff like Fatality being John's side, or John giving up the ring, or the birth of Martin Jordan likely won't see fruition because that's not the way comic books work. This isn't a movie where you can wrap it up in a bow and leave it at that. This is comic books, where time has no meaning and the next creator could very well undo everything you've worked to build.

That said, I didn't mind the art in this book and there were enough awesome moments in this book to keep me content. I'm sad to see Johns go, but for someone like myself who's never read any other writer on Green Lantern, it'll be a refreshing and necessary progression as a fanboy. As a closed-off runs, it works and I'll enjoy every last damn page, but as an ongoing series, not saying that it doesn't work, but that it won't work.

Also, fuck you guys, I was happy for everyone in the end, even despite what I've said.

Last edited by Fearless; 05-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #197
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarf
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #198
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I'm leaving the 4 GL titles for now, and I feel this was a fitting end- I really like happy endings. Johns, you did a great job and your stories got me through some hard times. The Sinestro Corps War will be my Empire Strikes Back, but you know......if given what we saw in #20, Sinestro finally made his peace, which gives me hope that I can finally make mine.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #199
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

To be honest I think the only endings we should have seen were Hal + Carol and possibly Sinestro's since that's who he was writing. Not to mention it's like Clark + Lois, Olie + Dinah, Barry + Iris, one way or another they'll end up together as part of the mythos. The other endings will most likely change.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #200
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
I'm leaving the 4 GL titles for now, and I feel this was a fitting end-
Why are you leaving? New creative teams?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote