The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys > My Collection
FLASHCHAT

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #276
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Thanks!

Here is my custom Green Lantern Hannu. Again, it's pretty much a basic repaint job with some sculpy added here and there. The base is a Fantastic Four Thing, of course.

Wow. Nicely done, SA!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #277
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Default Custom Wonder Girl (Cassie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Wow. Nicely done, SA!
Thanks, Blue!

Here is my next workshop project:

I'm a big fan of the Young Justice series, but the line was cancelled thanks to poor marketing and awful figure selection. There are a good deal of characters they could have made if the line was still going so I decided to try my hand at making Cassie aka Wonder Girl.

Source material:

First, I needed a DCUC Supergirl and a Star Sapphire Wonder Woman. DCUC Supergirl provided the perfect head/face, headband and all, and WW provided the perfect body. Cassie is a young Amazon so I needed a body that wasn't skinny like the DCUC Carol Ferris, but not overly buffed like DCUC Artemis/WW. SSWW's body was a perfect medium.

First, I boil and popped the heads and the shoes. I needed Supergirl's shoes since Cassie wears sneakers and WW wears high heels. I also popped the collar off, which was removed fairly easily with heat from the boil. I NEVER use a heat gun. Too many negative variables. I use hot water and microwave for two minutes.

Next, I had to sand down the "star" impressions from SSWW. This was a pain because if I used the dremel, it would have sanded down too far so I had to use high grade sandpaper and sand manually... and I learned this the hard way. As you can see, the dremel tool took out a chunk of her boob.

I used Supergirl's Micky Mouse hands as well since they were a bit bigger... and since SSWW had a ring on her right hand, so I couldn't use that.

Once I got the figure sanded to where I wanted it, I primed it so I wouldn't have to use multiple coats of paint.

Applying the paint was simple enough, although I really dislike free hand painting logos because I suck at painting straight lines. I would have used stickers, but in this case, I didn't think they would have stayed because of her breasts.

I removed her lasso and affixed it on her left side as seen in the animated series.

The finished product.

My flesh tone paint was kind of old so it clumped up a bit. I might have to blast and repaint her right arm.

As you can see, she's not as tall or as buffed as Diana, but not small, skinny and sickly like a female DCUC doe.

Cassie next to her brunette counterpart, Donna Troy.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #278
lanternjv37
Green Lantern Initiate

great work!!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #279
detinic
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Awesome job on her.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #280
tangent66
Major Force's Dinner Date

Send a message via Skype™ to tangent66

Looks nice except the neck looks a tad too long. Make me one.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #281
Scarecrow
Senior Corps Member

I like it, "looks good except for this one part I want to criticize, now make me one". Really tactful.

Sig made by Zander Yurami
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #282
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternjv37 View Post
great work!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by detinic View Post
Awesome job on her.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent66 View Post
Looks nice except the neck looks a tad too long. Make me one.
You know, I struggled with that issue so much so, that I stopped working on her for an entire day; I just stared at her comtemplating a quick fix. As you can see in the image, SSWW's neck and neck joint are clearly longer than Supergirl's.

I was going to pull out the ball joint and do the ol' switch-a-roo, but decided to test it on Supergirl's neck joint first. Problem is, it didn't turn out so well so I decided against it. The bottom end of the neck joint is a plastic clamp that I ended up bending out of shape... and sorry. I don't do commissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I like it, "looks good except for this one part I want to criticize, now make me one". Really tactful.
I'm used to the criticism and welcome all forms.

I have something else brewing in the ol' Chop shop, but I'm waiting for all the pieces to arrive.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 AM   #283
tangent66
Major Force's Dinner Date

Send a message via Skype™ to tangent66

Thanks for explaining your process and thoughts behind them. I've only done some simple repaints but nothing to the extent that you have done. I did have the long neck issue with a head swap and decided to just cut the neck down and loose the neck articulation. I would have rather had the head still move but I couldn't figure out a work around either.

I did mean my earlier comment to be constructive and I'm glad you took it that way. I kind of truncated my post. After re-reading it, I can see how it could be perceived a bit negative.

I look forward to seeing more of your customizing ideas. I may have to "borrow"some of your recipes later when I get more adventurous.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #284
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

^I have a few things I'm working on in the chop shop. I'll exhibition them when they're ready.

Here are some more figures I have displayed:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #285
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Some new additions to my Godzilla collection:

It would be nice if the Jet Jaguar wasn’t so darned expensive.

Here is my custom Red Lantern Rankorr.

I was very pleased with the way this turned out. The formula I used was a Red Lantern buck body with Indigo Lantern Atom for the hands and ring and Marvel Legends Human torch head.

I dry-brushed the head for the Firestormy flame head look. For the insignia, I took the shoulder thing that came with Nite-Lik, cut off the symbol and painted the outside white.

Rankorr with his Red Lantern bretheren.

When I popped the head off and inserted it onto the RL Buck body, it didn’t fit correctly and bounced around like a bobblehead doll. To remedy this, I took the ball joint that came with the Marvel figure and Dremel drilled a hole large enough for the DCUC peg. This took some time.

From there, it was just a repaint job… and I can’t stress how much difficulty I have painting straight lines. Still, I am very pleased with the final product. He fits in well with the rest of the Red Lantern corps.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #286
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Here is my custom Young Justice Invasion M’gann, or Miss Martian.

The base is a Young Justice Artemis body with DCUC Supergirl’s head and sleepy eyes (with a haircut) and Golden Age Atom’s cape.

Miss Martian with my custom Superboy.

This was supposed to be the finished product, then realized the “X” on her costume wasn’t correct (because the design on the cartoon is horribly inconsistent), so I had to repaint the torso and start over.

Again, painting straight lines is my nemesis. It's tough to keep a steady hand, especially when you don't have the proper brushes. Still, I was quite satisfied with the way this came out, although I envisioned it a bit differently.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #287
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I'm seriously gettin' jelly of your Red Lantern customs.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #288
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
I'm seriously gettin' jelly of your Red Lantern customs.
Just wait until you see the next one.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #289
CJF28
Fatality's Blacksmith

Love your collection and customs.

how we dont have a Bleez figure already is baffling.
CJF28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #290
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

^Thanks, dude! Much appreciated... and I agree with Bleez. Instead, they're giving us Baz.

Here is my latest custom: Indigo Lantern John Stewart.

I started with the JS from the Walmart 5-pack and the Avatar Col. Miles figure. Indigo John needs military pants and boots, so I removed them from Miles and put them on JS.

Like so. His legs were a bit on the stubby side, but it still works.

Next, I needed JS to have arms and not sectioned gloves, so using the boil and pop technique, I took that useless Kamandi figure's arms and added them to JS. He also needs a collar, so using sculpting clay, I made him a collar and breast thingy. Afterwards, I added the cuffed sleeves with Mighty Putty primed the figure so paint applications would adhere better.

Painting the figure was kind of a challenge. I dry-brused using Lavender, Purple and Indigo. In addition, I used Kamandi's belt.

I also used Mighty Putty for the headband and figure fodder for the tails. Mighty Putty dries FAST, so if you're using that, beware.

For John's Battery/Sniper Rifle, I used Indigo Atom's staff, Miles' gun and Kamandi's rifle. I've gotten a good deal a mileage from Kamandi thus far. He's not so useless after all.

Here is the finished product:

Indigo Lantern Stewart with his Lantern bretheren.

I was quite pleased with the way this came out. It took a while to sculpt the pieces and all, but it was well worth it... and my wife is also pleased because I finally got all the paint bottles, brushes, dremel bits and sculpting stuff off the bed.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #291
lanternjv37
Green Lantern Initiate

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW sylent that john stewart is amazing!!!1

...whenever you have the urge to make another one...i'd love to give you business :-)
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #292
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternjv37 View Post
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW sylent that john stewart is amazing!!!1

...whenever you have the urge to make another one...i'd love to give you business :-)
Thanks! Much appreciated. Unfortunately, I don't do commissions. Sorry. I couldn't make another if I wanted as I don't have the pieces. I did leave the formula so you can try to make your own.

You will need 4 figures to make this: John Stewart (Walmart 5-pack is cheapest), Avatar Col. Miles (for the legs and gun), Kamandi (for the arms and sniper rifle) and Atom (for the staff and bandana tails).
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #293
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Awesome J. Stew figure, dude.

You know, there are folks that make more than $50 for a custome figure on eBay.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #294
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Awesome J. Stew figure, dude.

You know, there are folks that make more than $50 for a custome figure on eBay.
Thanks, man!

Yeah, I peruse Figure Realm periodically and noticed that a ton of those guys have their customs on eBay. They sometimes command close to $100 per custom, depending on who the artist is. Even though that's a pretty penny, I'd rather have my work displayed at home. The time and effort I put into the custom isn't really worth the cash in my eyes. For example, I left out a few annoying details on the Stewart custom, like having to dremel the joints because they don't fit properly or microwaving water up to 5 times because the parts harden too quickly... and then there's the multiple paint applications.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #295
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Incredibly creative and resourceful Sylent! Awesome! (Compliment ... Sort of looks like a really cool tough Ranger from Gi Joe!)

I have to ask, when do you find the time to do this?! Weekends? Late at night after the wife goes to bed?

BTW ... I'm in Modesto and Turlock this weekend at a soccer tournament for my daughter. First time in either city. All I knew about Turlock before was that where CK7 (Colin Kaepernick) is from! Go 49ers!
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #296
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera
Thumbs up

Sylent that figure came out awesome, well done.
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #297
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFighter View Post
Incredibly creative and resourceful Sylent! Awesome! (Compliment ... Sort of looks like a really cool tough Ranger from Gi Joe!)

I have to ask, when do you find the time to do this?! Weekends? Late at night after the wife goes to bed?

BTW ... I'm in Modesto and Turlock this weekend at a soccer tournament for my daughter. First time in either city. All I knew about Turlock before was that where CK7 (Colin Kaepernick) is from! Go 49ers!
Thanks!

I really don't have a great deal of time for customs, just weekends. My daily work commute consists of 5+ hours a day. Usually, I work on customs while unwinding and watching tv... and it's really not "watching" tv, but listening to it and using it as background noise. It took me a couple of months to complete that Stewart figure, hence, why I don't sell my work; the effort I put into them doesn't equal any sort of compensation.

I have no idea where Turlock is. Modesto, yes. So, have you decided to attend WonderCon? If you go, bring a camera and take tons of pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmera View Post
Sylent that figure came out awesome, well done.
Thanks, dude!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:48 AM   #298
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Thanks!

I really don't have a great deal of time for customs, just weekends. My daily work commute consists of 5+ hours a day. Usually, I work on customs while unwinding and watching tv... and it's really not "watching" tv, but listening to it and using it as background noise. It took me a couple of months to complete that Stewart figure, hence, why I don't sell my work; the effort I put into them doesn't equal any sort of compensation.

I have no idea where Turlock is. Modesto, yes. So, have you decided to attend WonderCon? If you go, bring a camera and take tons of pics.

Hi Sylent

So Turlock is another 15 miles or so South of Modesto but one has to go 205 to 99 South to get there so you pass Sylent's True Asylum aka Lathrop --> Manteca --> Modesto --> Turlock.

Ouch ... Didn't know about your commute homey! 5 hours?! Where you going? SF?

It's always worth more and you get more joy, satisfaction and happiness when you do it vs doing something to sell. I hear you!

Still not 100% on WonderCon but one more hurdle cleared as my sister has agreed that we can push my dad's B-Day celebration from March 17 to the weekend of WonderCon so now I would have another incentive and reason to go down.

Pictures ... man, unlike you and Darth, I'm just not a picture taker ... I wish I was! I'm so impressed by those who do thus the high praise and why I love reading your posts and blogs because there's so many awesome pictures with the stories. BUT since you went public on me to ask, I can't not try to do better with it so I will. I almost always bring my compact point and shoot Canon anyways but I'll take 10 pictures at max of maybe a celeb or an artist sketching something for my daughter but I'll try to hit up some displays, cosplayers and other folks and items.

I'll keep ya posted!

Last edited by UltimateFighter; 01-29-2013 at 05:51 AM.
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #299
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFighter View Post

Hi Sylent

So Turlock is another 15 miles or so South of Modesto but one has to go 205 to 99 South to get there so you pass Sylent's True Asylum aka Lathrop --> Manteca --> Modesto --> Turlock.

Ouch ... Didn't know about your commute homey! 5 hours?! Where you going? SF?

It's always worth more and you get more joy, satisfaction and happiness when you do it vs doing something to sell. I hear you!

Still not 100% on WonderCon but one more hurdle cleared as my sister has agreed that we can push my dad's B-Day celebration from March 17 to the weekend of WonderCon so now I would have another incentive and reason to go down.

Pictures ... man, unlike you and Darth, I'm just not a picture taker ... I wish I was! I'm so impressed by those who do thus the high praise and why I love reading your posts and blogs because there's so many awesome pictures with the stories. BUT since you went public on me to ask, I can't not try to do better with it so I will. I almost always bring my compact point and shoot Canon anyways but I'll take 10 pictures at max of maybe a celeb or an artist sketching something for my daughter but I'll try to hit up some displays, cosplayers and other folks and items.

I'll keep ya posted!
LOL! I had no idea about Turlock. I heard folks talk about it, but never knew where it was.

Yeah, the commute sucks, but what can you do? I commute to Menlo Park. I spend 30 minutes of the commute sitting in traffic on University.

I hope you can make it to WC and take a portfolio of pics so the rest of us unfortunate saps can live vicariously through you. Hopefully, they have a worthwhile exclusive. I think it will be the 3.75" Larfleeze along with Guy Gardner. I've seen some Chinese eBay sellers start to list the Larfleeze, so this may be the exclusive for the show.

To keep this somewhat toy relevant, here is my updated Young Justice line-up. Sucks the show got cancelled. They could have made some excellent figures for this show.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #300
hazardfilms
Parallax Host

Nice work on the Indigo John!

hazardfilms is offline   Reply With Quote