The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
I will keep an eye out if these selling quick and let you guys know. I have no problem picking up for people.
Will you be tweeting this? If so, what's your twitter handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
I'm done collecting figures. Honestly I can't justify the prices their asking anymore. I'm sorry $25 for 2 3.5 inch figures exclusives or not is still to high. They asked $99 for the 9 inch tall Darkseid. No just No the action figure market has gone insane with prices. Even at stores like Walmart and Target the prices of action figures have gotten out of hand. When their asking nearly $9 for a single 3.5 inch figure and almost $20 for a single 6 inch figure I say its time to get the hell out.

When the market regains its senses and prices come back to something resembling reasonable I might start buying again. Until then I'll stick to what I have.

I hear you Andrea. It's really expensive. However, I believe the new Darkseid figure is about 14" tall. I saw a video where the sculpter was asked by Jim Lee to make Darkseid two Aquamans tall.

Last edited by Darth_Primus; 09-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I still don't like these. The hyper-articulated "chopped in half" look of the torso's (which I don't really like even on the larger figs) looks absurd to me on figs this size.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

D_P I guess I could use "the twitter" to keep people updated. My handle is LanternAtrain
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Cool.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

My brother got himself a 4 day pro pass. I'm hoping he can pick me up. I hope they skip the whole ticket thing this time around.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
GL13
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I'm going to be there for this con but still wished they chose better characters for the GL universe. Or this and a 6 in limited hard to find we made for this con exclusive. Iolade from the animated series and Inidgo tribe member. Sheriff and a Alpha Lantern that would sell. I'll go by the booth and take a picture but not buying.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

I'm looking forward to the Aardman Bats more than anything.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Since 2007, both the North Sea crude oil production and Norwegian crude oil production have diminished, likely because supply is becoming more scarce, which means that prices increase. The North Sea used to produce 1.7 Million Barrels per Day, the Norwegian production used to be 2.7 Million Barrels per Day. They have both since dropped to 1.1 and 2.1 respectively.
Thing is, these import prices have affected the market price of crude oil across the world, as they always have. So when they sell for a significant mark up of and additional $16(Or sometimes 25, like it is currently) to a barrel of oil. The current market price is $89 a barrel. The people who sell these also need to make a profit from them, as well as the people who transport them, and the people who produce and refine the oil further.

The point of this, is that plastic is oil, and that typically, almost every single bit of the toy you buy is plastic. Not just the toy itself, but the plastic layering on the cardboard, to the plastic shield, to the plastic shell casings, aside from screws here and there(and even then, metal has been phased out more and more in DC and Marvel toys) everything is plastic.

The Market hasn't become unreasonable people, they're just trying to make a profit.
Caleb Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #34
Mister Ed

And yet, there are products with significantly more plastic in them that cost less. And other plastic-heavy toy products, like LEGO, while they have seen price increases, don't seem to have jumped as much as action figure prices.

I've no idea of the relative costs of different types of plastics, though, so that could be a big factor.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
And yet, there are products with significantly more plastic in them that cost less. And other plastic-heavy toy products, like LEGO, while they have seen price increases, don't seem to have jumped as much as action figure prices.

I've no idea of the relative costs of different types of plastics, though, so that could be a big factor.
First, I'd need to see the products you're talking about there.
Second, you are right, soft plastic versus hard plastic is a bid decider for this.
Third, where production is held is another big part of this. Lego has seen price increases over a long period of time that predates American/Chinese action figures. Their production is in Denmark, and their biggest source of oil is Norway. Denmark also usually can't afford to import from the North Sea or internally(Since it has no oil), so it's only choice would be Norway.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
Mister Ed

Things like baby toys, teethers, etc. Made pretty much entirely out of soft plastic, seem like they easily have as much plastic as the smaller action figures, yet generally cost less. Some probably even have as many joints as the more basic figures.

Of course, they don't have to pay for licenses...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Licenses is one thing for those. The amount of plastic for them also is significantly less. (Think Mass per volume) They're also by no means more articulated than your typical action figure fare. We'd be talking the difference of 10 points to 50 points. Also, another factor to keep in mind are the taxes for importing.

There's this amazing story from Marvel that I love. See, figures of humans have always been more expensive than of animals and such. (And there have even been cases where Superheroes are more expensive import tax wise, but not current.) Marvel, who makes a large portion of their profit as a company whole on toy sales, obviously has a lot of human figures, but decided to get around this by saying that mutants are not humans, that technically they fit more into the general animal category, and took this to court. And they won. Now, sure, they get less taxes off this, but at the same time they entirely undermined the message of the comics. It's kind of beautiful.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
Mister Ed

But ultimately, for me at least, it doesn't much matter whether they are forced to raise the prices that high because of oil, or if they are jacking prices to pad their profits.

Either way, action figures cost more than I'm willing to pay for them at this point, and more than many kids can AFFORD to buy significant numbers of with their allowance (as a kid, I was able to amass an embarassing number of Star Wars figures just with my allowance money).

I can't blame them for trying to make a profit, but they can't blame me for being unwilling to pay more than the product is worth to me, or blame kids for being unable to afford it. If the prices really have to be that high, then they have limited their potential market. Eventually that may mean that action figures as anything other than high cost collectibles go away entirely. Which my nostalgia for my childhood of playing with them makes a sad prospect.

Eh, today's kids prefer videogames, anyway, right?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #39
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lancaster View Post
Licenses is one thing for those. The amount of plastic for them also is significantly less. (Think Mass per volume) They're also by no means more articulated than your typical action figure fare. We'd be talking the difference of 10 points to 50 points.
50 points of articulation? What the heck figure is that? I'm saying the most basic action figure, with MAYBE 5-points of articulation, which still costs more.

And I'm not convinced that the amount of plastic is less, either. I'm talking teethers that are like 4-inches long, over 2-inches wide, and maybe 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Even granted that they have a hole on the middle, that seems like at least as much total plastic as a 3-3/4" action figure.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why action figures cost more than baby toys of comparable size. I'm just not sure that it is all materials cost. I'd say at LEAST part of it is that the people that make baby toys KNOW that if they charge $10 for a teether, a lot of people won't buy it (that's not to say some "designer" baby brands don't charge well over that, of course).
Old 09-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #40
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Again, it's also a difference of mass per volume, and how the plastic is actually produced. Then there's how the plastic is formed into different molds (Each one needs to have a patent on it) and then eventually assembled. The molds can sometimes themselves be made out of plastic.

Another point here though, is what I call the "3$/4$ comic book argument". In 1961, comics were 10c. They rose to 12c in 1962, and up to 20c by the end of the decade. In the 70s, they went from 20c to 50c. In the 80s they went from 50c to $1. In the 90s, they went from $1 to $2. And from the 2000s, we've seen it go from $2 to to now $3 or $4. That's the current threshold. These are hard leaps to get over with each price increase, but a lot of it isn't just production costs being raised, it also has to do with the buy power of the dollar itself. When those two things happen at the same time, you end up with an increase that's a bit steep.
There's your current toy market. It's raising not just through cost, but with the Dollar itself. The idea of reasonable pricing should increase with that, but because most of us have seen multiple decades in our lives, it doesn't. My grandfather still berates me for spending more than $10 on a pocket watch, because that's what he paid back in 1938. My mom always says how expensive fruit is today.
Thing is, that's just the dollar losing it's buying power. That has very little to do with the single company, and more to do with the greater world economic market.

So yeah. Oil is expensive right now, the dollar is losing it's buying power, and $10 for a toy that was $5 when you were a kid is the new normal.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
Mister Ed

Well, part of it is that I haven't seen my wages increase at anything LIKE the same rate. So it isn't just some nostalgic remembrance of past prices that informs my opinion that current prices on some items are higher than I am willing to pay for them. It is me looking for the most entertainment value bang for my buck.

I'd rather spend $25 (often less) on a good board or card game, than that same amount on one or two action figures. Because it is a better entertainment value for my dwindling purchasing power...

I'm really starting to question continuing to get comics at all, for that same reason, especially since at this point, the way comics are written, I don't even feel like I CAN share them with the rest of the family. Certainly it has caused me to buy less comics.

If I'm clinging to anything, it isn't specific pricing, but rather prices for certain items as a percentage of my earnings.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-26-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Well, technically your wages are increasing since they're not actively decreasing, since the buying power of the dollar is becoming less. We also just had a recession(That some also say we're not out of) which is another issue of this.

Economy man. It's crazy.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #43
Mister Ed

Except that my wages HAVE decreased, because a couple years ago I was laid off, and my new job pays 2/3 as much for essentially the same work.

And the point is, even setting that situation aside, my wages were NOT increasing at the same rate as prices on some items were. I used to get comics for a dollar. Now they are $4, but there is no WAY wages have gone up 4 times in that same span.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Wages also haven't increased 40000% since comics were 5c.
It's a lot of factors, not just buying power of the dollar, but production cost, production quality, availability of materials, market value, and everything else thrown out there an economics class.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #45
Mister Ed

I'm just tired of being criticized for saying that a product is not worth what it costs me to buy it. That by saying so, I am somehow being unrealistic or unreasonable, and that I'm just old, and stuck in the past. That may not be what you are trying to say, but I've definitely had others take that line.

I get that costs rise, and rise faster in some cases than others, and that other factors can play into how much someone has to charge for something to make a profit. But those that make and sell those products should get (and I think those actually in the business of making and selling the products DO get) that an increase in their costs, or decrease in their profit margin for some other reason, such that they raise their prices, does NOT automatically mean that the VALUE of the product to the consumer goes up accordingly.

If you sell the same product for $4 that you used to sell for $1, and your consumer base hasn't increased their pool of disposable income by a similar amount, you WILL sell less of that product, and no amount of explanations about how you NEED to charge that much is going to change that fact, or make the consumer WRONG if they tell that you aren't providing them enough value for the dollar to justify the purchase.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #46
hazardfilms
Parallax Host

Shhhh, Enjoy!

http://www.toyworldorder.com/2012/10...2-pack-review/

hazardfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #47
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardfilms View Post
Great review, BC! It seems you have a bit of clout since you've gotten your hands on these before anyone else. Good job!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #48
hazardfilms
Parallax Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Great review, BC! It seems you have a bit of clout since you've gotten your hands on these before anyone else. Good job!
Just call me Kitt Cloutkicker!

hazardfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #49
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Great review as usual Hazard. Hopefully, I'll be able to get these figure from their website after the con.

Do you know if the 3 3/4" GL line will be only availble at Cons going forward?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #50
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

My brother was able to pick up a set for me in nyc. I'll probably only take these out of their boxes if they sell the Central Battery.