The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 02-29-2020, 02:54 AM   #3626
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

He's producing and wrote the script, Nia DaCosta is directing.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #3627
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

THR: James Wan Developing Monster Movie for Universal
Old 03-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #3628
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

THR: New 'Dracula' Movie in the Works as Universal Remakes Its Monsterverse
Quote:
Universal's Monsterverse, left for dead after the middling box office returns of 2017's The Mummy, is now back on track. Just don't call it a Monsterverse this time.

On the heels of The Invisible Man's No. 1 opening Feb. 28 and $98.3 million haul so far, Universal is taking steps to revive its fabled stable of classic monsters for the big screen. But the new batch of films will be stand-alone, moderately budgeted efforts rather than big swings within an interconnected movie universe.

The latest: a new Dracula feature that Karyn Kusama (Destroyer) will direct, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Jason Blum's Blumhouse, which helped kickstart the new monster line by making Invisible Man for only $7 million, is in the midst of setting up the vampire thriller and is producing. The project isn't housed at Universal yet, and technically, it could be made at another studio because Dracula is in the public domain. But that is highly unlikely given that Blumhouse has a first-look deal with the studio, and Universal isn't about to let one of its iconic monsters escape the fold.

Like Invisible Man, which offered a contemporary spin on the classic H.G. Wells novel, a new Dracula would take place in modern times, sources tell THR. Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay, who have collaborated with Kusama on a number of films including Destroyer and The Invitation, are writing the script. The Dracula development comes on the heels of another legacy monster project being set up, an untitled horror thriller to be produced by James Wan.

The new agenda takes a filmmaker-driven approach to the characters as opposed to a star-driven strategy, something Universal tried when it released the 2017 Tom Cruise vehicle The Mummy. That movie's middling welcome — $409 million worldwide off of a $125 million budget — derailed a plan for an interrelated movie universe ŕ la Marvel with stars such as Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie and Javier Bardem.

Now, instead of hearing pitches and reading scripts that tie monsters together, Universal execs are telling filmmakers that storytelling is the star. "It's a 'best idea wins' approach," says one producer, "and they are having the filmmakers find the individual stories."

The studio is working with filmmakers such as Paul Feig, Elizabeth Banks and John Krasinski, even developing multiple takes on one character, sources say. "They have multiple irons in the fire, but not all will become real," says one agent familiar with the studio's plans.

The movies don't have a strict budget range, though moderate ranges seem popular at this stage. And no project seems to be ready to go before cameras, though an Invisible Man sequel from its director, Leigh Whannell, is inevitable (even if talks haven't begun and Whannell is being eyed for other Monsterverse titles).

Getting the universe right had until recently proved elusive for Universal, even with a headliner such as Dracula. The studio most recently tackled the blood-sucking count with 2014's Luke Evans starrer Dracula Untold, which earned $217 million worldwide.

"It shows that by being very agile, they were able to pivot and try a new direction," says Comscore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "Had Invisible Man not worked, that would have been a cause for concern. But this sets them up very nicely."

Kusama is no stranger to the horror genre, having helmed the Diablo Cody-penned cult classic Jennifer's Body. On the TV front, she also been busy directing a number of episodes for such series as HBO's freshman hit The Outsider, based on the Stephen King horror crime novel, and Showtime's Billions.

Kusama is repped by ICM and attorney Patti Felker. Hay and Manfredi are handled by UTA and attorney Alan Grodin.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #3629
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

You know, I really hope this becomes their "Dark Universe," because that is a cool name to reference their horror franchises and I don't want it all to go to waste. We don't need interconnected, at least not for a while, but we can get a healthy stable of standalones.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:30 AM   #3630
Space Cop
The Dandy

^They should worry about the movies themselves and stop trying to build a universe. The Universal Classic Horror barely connected within their character sequels and the ones that did crossover outright retconned stuff to do it. They didn't count about world building and dropping hints for future movies.
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
—Isaiah 2:4
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:20 AM   #3631
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well that's what they're doing, the movies will all be standalone.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:15 AM   #3632
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Well that's what they're doing, the movies will all be standalone.
Yep. So, I should've read beyond the first sentence?
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-11-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #3633
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

To heck with it. Stand alone movies work for me if they are all as good as the Invisible man.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #3634
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
To heck with it. Stand alone movies work for me if they are all as good as the Invisible man.
Was it good? I didn't get to it and now I don't know when I'll be back in a cinema (hoping at least the early June anniversary showing of The Shining is still on).
Old 03-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #3635
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Was it good? I didn't get to it and now I don't know when I'll be back in a cinema (hoping at least the early June anniversary showing of The Shining is still on).
I loved it. I went in cringing a bit half expecting another "all men suck" film, but this really wasn't aimed at all men. Just one bad man. And for me it worked as a psychological thriller. I have a few misgivings about the movie logic and how the invisible man is able to get from place to place, but I can overlook them as minor quibbles in what was a pretty enjoyable film for me. I plan on buying the bluray.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #3636
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Due to the Coronavirus situation Universal released a few movies, including Invisible Man, on demand.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #3637
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Due to the Coronavirus situation Universal released a few movies, including Invisible Man, on demand.
Thanks, but if I'm going to watch it on the small screen, I may as well wait to buy it and keep it when it hits BD.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #3638
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, just buy it Space Cop. IMO it's worth owning.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 AM   #3639
Space Cop
The Dandy

Rewatching Re-Animator (R.I.P. Stuart Gordon) yet again and I keep turning around in my head ‘did Herbert West kill Rufus the cat?’

Old 04-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #3640
Space Cop
The Dandy

Old 04-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #3641
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I imagine a hockey mask would work, too.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #3642
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Nah, a hockey mask will just make the resident stone think you're an upset goalie.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 AM   #3643
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://houseofmysterioussecrets.com/pre-orders/

Y'all motherfuckers need to buy these masks. I just preordered the Pennywise (2017) one.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #3644
Space Cop
The Dandy

Today marks the 40th anniversary of Friday the 13th and hence (although he's only a child and probably only a dream) of Jason.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:05 AM   #3645
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

THR: 'Wolfman' Movie in the Works with Ryan Gosling
Quote:
Ryan Gosling is getting into the Universal monsters business. The actor is circling a Wolfman movie for the studio, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebecca Angelo penned the script, which is intended to be a starring vehicle for Gosling. The move comes after the studio saw a hit earlier this year by reviving one of its other monster properties, The Invisible Man, which starred Elizabeth Moss and was produced by Blumhouse.

Blum, who is married to Blumhouse's Jason Blum, and Angelo previously wrote on Netflix's Orange is the New Black. No director is currently attached to The Wolfman, one of multiple movies based on Universal's stable of classic monsters in the works. Others include Elizabeth Banks' The Invisible Woman, Karyn Kusama's Dracula, the Dracula-themed Renfield from Dexter Fletcher and Dark Army, which has Paul Feig attached to helm.

The Wolfman follows in the legacy of 1941's The Wolf Man, which starred Lon Chaney Jr. as a man who becomes a werewolf. The actor would play the role multiple times. Benicio del Toro also starred in the 2010 remake The Wolfman.

Gosling, who is repped by CAA, is also attached to star in the astronaut thriller Project Hail Mary for MGM and to be directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:36 AM   #3646
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Chopping Mall (1986)

"Have a nice day!"

I heard about this many years ago in a summer college course, just now got to seeing it. It's every bit as cheesy as I heard and yet it satisfies that '80s horror craving. Seeing both Dick Miller and Paul Bartel was immensely gratifying, but the real treat was when the lovebirds are watching the Corman classic Attack of the Giant Crabs.

Scream Factory could definitely package this with some visual cleaning in a two-for-one Blu-ray release with another forgotten gem, like they did with The Video Dead and TerrorVision.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 AM   #3647
Space Cop
The Dandy

"Classic." I remember renting that along with a friend because of its awesome-but-very-misleading cover. [At the time we were both disappointed, but I've come to have affection for it. I still want to see the movie on the cover, though.]

I have it in a cheap 10 pack of b horror and shared it with a friend a year ago while he was recuperating from surgery along with the less enjoyable (though not unenjoyable) Slaughter High.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-01-2020 at 03:27 AM.