Nice. Kinda reminds me of Ambush Bug.
who? xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone Rider View Post
Cool...really, really cool.
thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
I think it's awesome. Probably cooler than what we'll actually see.

But shouldn't the colours on the right leg be the same as the right arm? Actually, the colours are off from the mid-section down. Did you apply a vertical rainbow to the thing? The left hand Sapphire is giving off green, instead of pink.
yea, i did a vertical gradient, the horizontal didnt look right at all xD
for the lighting, if u look at the costume, not the aura, thats how it should be xD
since i used a gradient on the aura, i was just kinda crossing my fingers lol
i might try to change the colors seperately later, once i figure out how xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone Rider View Post
Oh...I was wondering: What program do you use to make all of this? And how do you make that fire effect, with all the different colors? (I'm trying to learn, just like you told me).
i used photoshop elements 6.0
for the fire, i used smoke brushes
and for the rainbow aura, i used a vertical gradient
good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboygreen View Post
aagh, i actually loved how the gradient matched up, but ur right, on the violet/green part, i kinda wanted it to just be the right order, the ROY on the top, then the G on the chest, then the BIV on the bottom.

to be honest, this was my first time using gradient so im not very experienced with it xD

i tried the colorburn on the shadows, but it didnt look right :/
looked fake.
i always love black on lanterns to, its hard to get away from, it looks so slick xD

thx for the comment!

thx!

no problem! It just looked, to me, like you had the color scheme going left to right, not top to bottom; which then conflicts w/ the gradient going top/bottom. This also conflicts on the legs as well; as if the color scheme was fading up/down, then the red would come from the head, not the right arm, you know? For an easy fix, just run your gradient overlay horizontal. However, I think actually lassoing various pieces of smoke, and localizing a 2/color gradient may, in the end, look more "complete"; though take some more time.

as far as the shadows, I know what you mean about color burn. My best suggestions there are to either:
-lower the opacity of both the layer and the brush, and layer the burn
-use the burn tool over a color burn layer
-(best suggestion) set layer to darken/multiply, lower opacity, and use a multiply brush w/ a low opacity w/ multiple "coats" to get the desired shadowing effect.

not trying to nit-pick, just offering advice from experience is all. In total, I think it's an amazing image and a really great concept. You've taken it pretty far as is (I'm impressed with the smoke rendering). Have you considered getting away from Elements and using Photoshop proper? Feel free to PM me w/ any questions or issues you may run into (I do freelance Photoshop work as a part-time job). Great work, keep it up!
lol, lotta comment, cool xD
like i said earlier in this comment, the shading on the costume is right, but the aura is off lol.
there is orange-red on his left leg because of the light from the rings above him, and indigo-ish colors on his right leg because of the rings on his left hand (lol, confusing xD)
the aura doesnt follow any of these patterns lol xD
the horizontal gradient didnt work, thats what i tried first, it was completely off lol
ill try lassoing, but i didnt think it would work that well, because it wouldnt gradually change like it does now, it would be to....sudden lol

for the shadowing, those are great tips, thx!
and i would like to try the last one, but i dont think elements has a multiply brush
i would love to use photoshop, but i dont have the money >_<
thx for the comment
BL-Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #27
Shingo Wol

http://www.comicvine.com/ambush-bug/29-28888/

This is Ambush Bug.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #28
BL-Wraith
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

oh lol, how is he like ambush bug then? xD
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #29
Shingo Wol

I don't know, Wolfdagon will have to answer that one.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 AM   #30
BL-Wraith

haha,
oh, how do u send stuff to DC, i went to there site but i cant find it anywhere xD
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #31
Alone Rider
Green Lantern Initiate

The name of the program is Photoshop 6.0?
I want to download it.
Alone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
spyboygreen
Kyle's Nude Model

BL-Wraith:
You can submit by going to:
http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/abo...on=submissions
However, I would HIGHLY recommend getting some independent works done before going straight "to the big dogs". They typically refer back to a portfolio and resume built up w/ an already existent fan-base. Look up Nei Ruffino on DeviantArt (one of the colorists of Blackest Night), she got her start with Zenoscape comics, and still works with them in addition to DC. Another thing you're going to want is a FULL knowledge of Photoshop, Corel Painter, and some exposure to Manga Studio and SketchBookPro.

Alone Rider:
he's using Photoshop Elements 6.0. This is kind of a photoshop-lite program that is often offered with digital art supplies/groupings (I know they ship copies of it with Wacom tablets and Media Center PC's). If you're going the download route, I would recommend getting the full CS4 suite, and becoming familiar with Illustrator and Photoshop. HOWEVER, you will need to purchase a legal license before you do ANYTHING professional (i.e. get paid) with that program; as Adobe is highly against pirating their products and will research back. Let me know if there's anything I can clarify for you on these programs.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
spyboygreen
Kyle's Nude Model

BL-Wraith:
However, I would HIGHLY recommend getting some independent works done before going straight "to the big dogs". They typically refer back to a portfolio and resume built up w/ an already existent fan-base. Look up Nei Ruffino on DeviantArt (one of the colorists of Blackest Night), she got her start with Zenoscape comics, and still works with them in addition to DC. Another thing you're going to want is a FULL knowledge of Photoshop, Corel Painter, and some exposure to Manga Studio and SketchBookPro.

Alone Rider:
he's using Photoshop Elements 6.0. This is kind of a photoshop-lite program that is often offered with digital art supplies/groupings (I know they ship copies of it with Wacom tablets and Media Center PC's). If you're going the download route, I would recommend getting the full CS4 suite, and becoming familiar with Illustrator and Photoshop. HOWEVER, you will need to purchase a legal license before you do ANYTHING professional (i.e. get paid) with that program; as Adobe is highly against pirating their products and will research back. Let me know if there's anything I can clarify for you on these programs.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #34
Wolfdagon
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL-Wraith View Post
oh lol, how is he like ambush bug then? xD
The lines going to his eyes are reminiscent of Ambus Bug, and the tendrils of energy rising above the eyes remind me of his antena. I know that he actually looks nothing like AB but this just popped into my head when I first saw him.
Wolfdagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #35
BL-Wraith

Quote:
BL-Wraith:

Alone Rider:
oh lol, no im not tryng to submit for a job or anything like that, i just want to submit it as like, fan work.. sry for the misunderstanding lol xD
im not ready for a proffesional job at any company yet, im only 14 lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdagon View Post
The lines going to his eyes are reminiscent of Ambus Bug, and the tendrils of energy rising above the eyes remind me of his antena. I know that he actually looks nothing like AB but this just popped into my head when I first saw him.
oh lol, ok
Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #36
spyboygreen
Kyle's Nude Model

LoL, my bad. You're really good for 14, which is where my assumption came in. I was submitting work to Image when I was 16; so just kinda reflected.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
Alone Rider
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Alone Rider:
Thanks! And I do have another question. I just want to learn to color my sketches like BL-Wraith does. Most of my sketches are Green Lantern's, so I would like to try with that tipe of coloring.
But I can't pay for a program. I would have to download it. What program do you recomend?
Thanks a lot!
Alone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
spyboygreen
Kyle's Nude Model

I'll post this in public forum in case anyone else is curious:

If you can't afford a high-end program (like Photoshop or Corel), and are against torrents for whatever reason, your best bet is GIMP. It is a free, open-source Linux version of photoshop. It can do almost anything Photoshop can do, has a ton of plug-ins, and works VERY similar to both Paint and Photoshop (so online tutorials still, more or less, work). The downside is that the experience doesn't translate very well real-world (as companies don't use this program), and the file extensions do not convert to other coloring programs.

If you're just limited on funding, PS Elements runs for about $75 (but comes free w/ a Wacom tablet), and Manga Studio is about the same price (but comes with a TON of drawing and layout tools if you want to do full-on comics). If you're serious about getting into digital coloring, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Wacom (no other tablet will do, trust me) and playing with PS Elements. It's an initial $100 (for a small, double for a medium) to get a Bamboo and the software w/ it; which is a good entry level package. Just start saving RIGHT after that, cuz you WILL grow out of Elements and your Bamboo quickly (as it rather obvious with BL-Wraith's art...good show to him). Hopefully, this answers your questions; please let me know if I can help out in any way. Feel free to PM me w/ any questions you have.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #39
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Also there is a bit of a learnign curve, I picked up a bamboo a couple years ago at SDCC and planned on learning both corel and photoshop, but have since "taken a break" from full digital pencilling because of the akwardsness from goin tablet to screen. It may be different for other people but for me it was a bit too steep at the time to learn it. I think that instead of jumping right in you should give the bamboo a try to see if you like it.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #40
BL-Wraith

Quote:
LoL, my bad. You're really good for 14, which is where my assumption came in. I was submitting work to Image when I was 16; so just kinda reflected.
lol np xD

Quote:
I'll post this in public forum in case anyone else is curious:

If you can't afford a high-end program (like Photoshop or Corel), and are against torrents for whatever reason, your best bet is GIMP. It is a free, open-source Linux version of photoshop. It can do almost anything Photoshop can do, has a ton of plug-ins, and works VERY similar to both Paint and Photoshop (so online tutorials still, more or less, work). The downside is that the experience doesn't translate very well real-world (as companies don't use this program), and the file extensions do not convert to other coloring programs.

If you're just limited on funding, PS Elements runs for about $75 (but comes free w/ a Wacom tablet), and Manga Studio is about the same price (but comes with a TON of drawing and layout tools if you want to do full-on comics). If you're serious about getting into digital coloring, I HIGHLY recommend getting a Wacom (no other tablet will do, trust me) and playing with PS Elements. It's an initial $100 (for a small, double for a medium) to get a Bamboo and the software w/ it; which is a good entry level package. Just start saving RIGHT after that, cuz you WILL grow out of Elements and your Bamboo quickly (as it rather obvious with BL-Wraith's art...good show to him). Hopefully, this answers your questions; please let me know if I can help out in any way. Feel free to PM me w/ any questions you have.
omg, u described my art life xD
i first scanned my art and colored with gimp with a mouse (ew!)
then i got the wacom small and PS elements for 100, and have been doing that for a while now.
now i want more! >:D lol,
i want the cintiq 12wx for more precise coloring.
still need 800 bucks though lmao xD
but yea, great tips!
you should make some tutorial threads :)
i added u to my friends ^_^
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #41
spyboygreen
Kyle's Nude Model

mos def, I felt those were the steps a lot of artists will take as they go forward. I talk/hang out/collaborate with a lot of artists, and it just seems like a very familiar story.
as far as persicion, I just can't plug the Intuos4 enough. 2048 levels of pressure sensetivity. That's like a fly landing on you rediculously sensetive :P AND it's only $300 for a medium (which, imo, is MORE than enough work area if you're used to a regular sheet of paper)

I was thinking of doing some tutorial threads, but wasn't sure what people were looking for. You have anything you want to see specifically? I'm totally open to suggestions; and will gladly include screenshots/walk-throughs on digital inking, shading, use of filters/brushes, after effects, etc. Let me know, and I'll start putting one together
Old 01-22-2010, 07:01 AM   #42
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

If you can do this at 14, you will be amazing in a few years. Keep it up man. I used to take art in highschool, and loved it, but I quit as soon as I went to college. I wish I had continued, because I'd be pretty good by now.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #43
BL-Wraith

Quote:
mos def, I felt those were the steps a lot of artists will take as they go forward. I talk/hang out/collaborate with a lot of artists, and it just seems like a very familiar story.
as far as persicion, I just can't plug the Intuos4 enough. 2048 levels of pressure sensetivity. That's like a fly landing on you rediculously sensetive :P AND it's only $300 for a medium (which, imo, is MORE than enough work area if you're used to a regular sheet of paper)

I was thinking of doing some tutorial threads, but wasn't sure what people were looking for. You have anything you want to see specifically? I'm totally open to suggestions; and will gladly include screenshots/walk-throughs on digital inking, shading, use of filters/brushes, after effects, etc. Let me know, and I'll start putting one together
the intuos to me, just seems like a bigger bamboo xD
also, theres a lot of people who want to know how to color better in photoshop, if u did a step by step with brushes and tools and all that, i think people would love it.
i, personally, would wanna know how to do the aura of green lantern like they do in the comics xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
If you can do this at 14, you will be amazing in a few years. Keep it up man. I used to take art in highschool, and loved it, but I quit as soon as I went to college. I wish I had continued, because I'd be pretty good by now.
thx!
thats what my dad says lol
i hope to keep going with it
i really love doing it
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #44
BatmanofSector2814
Hal's Understudy

WOW...very nice.
BatmanofSector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
BL-Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
WOW...very nice.
thx!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #46
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL-Wraith View Post
ok, this was a blast to do, i made my own rainbow lantern, or white lantern, which ever u prefer, and colored it.

i followed the ROY G BIV battern, u can see how it starts at his right glove and goes down, red orange and yellow, then green on his chest, then blue indigo and violet on his left glove, im really happy with the outcome, and wanna know what u all think!

That is really awesome, truly amazing spectacular and every other adjective used on a Marvel Title well all the good ones.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
BatmanofSector2814
Hal's Understudy

By far one of my favorite fan designs. Great work. This is made of pure, undiluted, WIN.
BatmanofSector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #48
BL-Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
That is really awesome, truly amazing spectacular and every other adjective used on a Marvel Title well all the good ones.
lol, thx! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
By far one of my favorite fan designs. Great work. This is made of pure, undiluted, WIN.
thx! i appreciate that
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #49
BL-Wraith

bump
Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #50
BL-Wraith

bump