Language question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language question

I noticed theres no filter here for the when the use of profanity is being used and I noticed its being used alot.

Now as a parent, while my kids arent reading as of yet, I'm sure there are some of the real younger generation here that might be posting or even lurking.

Now I don't wanna rain on anyones parade and while I curse on the outside world at work, with my buddies etc. I try not to curse around my kids, which as I'm sure many, I slip every now and then.

But I wonder is the use of the profanity necessary

I love the site here and all, But i was just curious.
    HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Is it necessary? Probably not, however in my experience most people who read comics these days are in their teens or older. I'm not saying there aren't kids who read comics, just that I expect to be discussing spandex clad superheroes with adults, and I use the language I'd use with adults in an informal setting.

Maybe my feelings will change when I have kids, but teaching the child that using such language is vulgar and reflects poorly upon you rather than just trying to shield them from it... because one way other another they're going to hear it... would be the solution. Now I could be wrong, probably am, but I don't feel the need to parent other people's kids, nor change my behaviour to accommodate overprotective parents (which isn't to say I'd cuss a blue streak in a kindergarten, I'm not that crude). Parents are free to point at me and tell their kids I'm a bad person, but I'd rather not have them tell me how I should behave.

Comment

I'm as guilty as anyone else here, a mod, and I know better. I get used to older people reading comics, and conversing a certain way on comic book message boards. I just assumed we didn't have younger posters here.

If the consensus is to reign it in, I'll be happy to clean up my act. Thanks for bringing it up Old School, we DO want this to be a place GL fans feel comfortable posting!

Comment

The decision to not censor language was made because we wanted this bored to be easy, relaxed, and not bogged down by too many rules (we don't have almost any rules, but the ones we do have are enforced with an iron fist). I don't think any of us ever thought that language would be a problem... but since it has now come up (obviously), I'll bring this thread and the discussion to all the other mods, and we'll talk about what to do.

I wouldn't expect a huge filter to come out of this, though... I think the most that will happen is a filter of the F-bomb, and even that is sketchy... but I'll let you know what we decide, if one of the other mods doesn't do so first after we discuss this.

Thank you for bringing up your concern.
        Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I'm a parent, too. What I can tell you boils down to this site being made as an uncensored place to discuss all things GL.

Attacks on members, name-calling of members, and things of this nature are all not allowed and are moderated quickly and efficiently. Our rules are here: http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...thread.php?t=1

I would hope that members use language and colorful metaphors only within reason but I have no interest or inclination into forcing members to do so. I enjoy having real GL conversations with people, same as if we were in a room together shooting the breeze.

In any event, I'm not a subscriber to the idea that exposure to colorful metaphor words corrupts, taints, or turns into social misfits the younger generation. Parenting and schooling should enforce and reinforce what is appropriate behavior becoming of their everyday lives.

Comment

The language is one of the best things about this place. Even though I censor myself sometimes its still fun to just spout an obsenity every once in awhile.

~KL~

Comment

I just wanna say its a shame I cant have my daughter sitting on my lap anymore while I browse these boards and show her stuff on here.

the use of cursing why its understandable I guess if you dont know any other words to use instead of.

But no more will she be on my lap, and certainly not post on these boards to discuss comics, until shes way older than I thought she would have to be to talk about comic books in the first place.

sure its a few years down the road for her. But I'm seeing the profanity take on a whole new scale here. Not by everyone of course just by a select few.

maybe all I'm asking if we could please try to tone it down a notch and surely there are words that can be used instead of FUCK in every single sentence to get your point across.

not a mod- just an opinion.
              HUNDRED'S OF COMIC BOOKS FOR SALE! http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=17568

Comment

Are you talking about the Final Crisis #6 thread when you mention the language on the board?

Comment

lol, I apologize. Its unfortunately part of my daily usage and its made its away here. I will try to tone it down. The last thing I want to do is alienate another fan, especially one as young as your daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
                    Are you talking about the Final Crisis #6 thread when you mention the language on the board?

that in particular but I've noticed a bit more throughout the boards.

Comment

We need a profanity jar, every time someone uses profanity put a quarter in the jar. Actual that probably won't work here but maybe there another version of this that we can use.

Comment

Originally posted by Godmera View Post
                        We need a profanity jar, every time someone uses profanity put a quarter in the jar. Actual that probably won't work here but maybe there another version of this that we can use.

or how about you use profanity, they take off 50 posts from your post count.

but see its allowed here, which is fine... But I think some people just go overboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
                          or how about you use profanity, they take off 50 posts from your post count.

but see its allowed here, which is fine... But I think some people just go overboard.
                          I honestly haven't noticed much. Maybe in certain instances but overall I rarely see people using the f-word every sentence at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Godmera View Post
                            How about I'll be in charge of the jar. Anytime someone uses profanity, send me a quarter, I'll put it in the jar. Sounds fair to me......

Comment

Do you take checks and money orders?

Comment

Working...
                              X