The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Is anyone worried?
Yes! He's in trouble if a new regime takes hold. 11 68.75%
No! Kyle is set, things are cool. 2 12.50%
Nahhh, no need to worry! 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Is anyone else a liiiittle worried for Kyle?

Don't get me wrong... I love the current direction for Kyle, and I absolutely would love to see him and Carol have... something... but that said...

Long term, as The™ The White Lantern, does this make you worried? Because it makes me worried. With the current regime, not at all. But fast forward a few months, a year? Two? Three? If things are turned on their head and new creative juices are introduced into the fold and given power... Kyle as a White Lantern? I love it, personally... but to someone that may not "get" it? The whole thing might come to a horrible end, in a far worse way than it might had he not just been relegated to another normal Green Lantern.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the current regime and angle(s) for Kyle, beyond perhaps a greater attention to his personal life.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I’d say (especially if sales start to fall) he is in trouble, because when the next writer boards New Guardians, there’s obviously gonna be some major changes. One of the changes is probably gonna involve him losing his white lantern status or something to that effect.

Course Kyle might be considered a dangerous by the time Justin Jordan leaves his run on New Guardians (especially if the artwork for GL: New Guardians 28 is anything to go by).

Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 11-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

They should just make him Ion again. When Sodam Yat died, nobody took over the Ion role, did they?
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Wally is gone. Anything can happen.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
They should just make him Ion again. When Sodam Yat died, nobody took over the Ion role, did they?
No. And Ion's now "dead."
Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
No. And Ion's now "dead."
WTF?
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

The space whale died at the end of "Lights Out."

But, this is comics, so that doesn't really mean anything.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
IonFan
Forum Member

yeah i'm not buying that, i think ION and the others are still alive (or part of'em is) inside of Kyle

also i'm not worried about Kyle

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

But why is the book still titled GREEN Lantern: New Guardians? Every month that it's titled that way, is one more month Kyle's tenure as a White Lantern looks temporary.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Because Green Lantern is a brand, and White Lantern sounds racist.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Technically Kyle was Ion again for a few pages at the end of "Lights Out" a couple months back. He was, again, a host to Ion... and other entities too, simultaneously.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

New Guardians was sort of an artificial title at the beginning of the New 52, and which "new" and "guardians" we're talking about has already changed twice. First it was a skittles brigade from seven corps troubleshooting across the galaxy, and now it's the "new" improved little blue gnomes with Kyle and some guest stars. I think Kyle's in trouble. Mind you, I've grown to like Kyle, and want to see him in green (and only green) again soon.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
d3v1lb0y
Red Lantern Black Ops

White Lantern or Ion, as long as he is active ..I'm fine, don't pull a Wally on him

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y
d3v1lb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

I've never been a big Kyle-fan but that's no problem for me as long as the story/book is good, but the actual direction with his white lantern status just bugs me because the whole WL-is just the culmination of the basic emotional-spectrum-idea which can be seen as somewhat problematic as a whole. At the beginning of the new 52 I liked the idea of the "new guardians" from the emotional-spectrum, because each character added some variation - the book wasn't something special but it was a fun read to me. Right now it feels as if Kyle is Mr. Superpower and that's a status I won't give credit to him or I just don't want to see him in.
The Kyle-Carol-Thing sucks for me, too and I hope Hal kicks his ass for that

I hope Kyle won't get Wally'd but I want him back the way he was (for me personally) - one of the big four in my GLC.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
... The Kyle-Carol-Thing sucks for me, too and I hope Hal kicks his ass for that ...
Nothing wins backs an ex faster than beating down her new boyfriend.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Ron Marz (in Green Lantern), Grant Morrison and Mark Waid (both in JLA) were the only writers who wrote Kyle as a character with a Green Lantern ring. Faerber and Vaughan went into the right direction, but he didn't have enough issues to do anything. Winick changed everything about him (costume, powers, name, haircut, father), Raab wrote him as Hal Jordan by another name. And then the book stopped selling. Johns brought Hal and the Corps back, but didn't care for Kyle at all, and it showed. And nobody since then realized what made Kyle special. That he was an everyman that readers could identify with. He wasn't from Coast City, or Metropolis, or any of the fictional places of the DCU. He came from LA and moved to NY and that made him grounded in ways few other DC characters are. He was constantly in over his head. He had problems with his girlfriends, problems to pay the rent, and he kept trying to become the best possible version of himself. Readers could identify with that. So they tried to make Kyle special in other ways. They made him Ion. They made him Honor Guard. They made him a White Lantern. But the one thing they didn't make him was an everyman. He hasn't been to Earth (for longer than five panels) in ages. He lives on Oa. His last girlfriend was an alien. And now we're back to the Raab style of writing him as Hal with the numbers filed off. Great.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Of course it doesn't! But I meant that in a metaphorical way to express, that I just don't like that Kyle pinches Hals GF :P
Old 11-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
The Kyle-Carol-Thing sucks for me, too and I hope Hal kicks his ass for that
Don't worry, that'll get retconned out.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Not to mention that I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever that Kyle has actually been PURSUING a relationship with Carol. This seems to have been initiated by Carol herself. It would be beyond absurd for Hal to blame Kyle for Carol's interest. Though with Hal being portrayed as less than intelligent lately, I wouldn't put it past the writers.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Ron Marz (in Green Lantern), Grant Morrison and Mark Waid (both in JLA) were the only writers who wrote Kyle as a character with a Green Lantern ring. Faerber and Vaughan went into the right direction, but he didn't have enough issues to do anything. Winick changed everything about him (costume, powers, name, haircut, father), Raab wrote him as Hal Jordan by another name. And then the book stopped selling. Johns brought Hal and the Corps back, but didn't care for Kyle at all, and it showed. And nobody since then realized what made Kyle special. That he was an everyman that readers could identify with. He wasn't from Coast City, or Metropolis, or any of the fictional places of the DCU. He came from LA and moved to NY and that made him grounded in ways few other DC characters are. He was constantly in over his head. He had problems with his girlfriends, problems to pay the rent, and he kept trying to become the best possible version of himself. Readers could identify with that. So they tried to make Kyle special in other ways. They made him Ion. They made him Honor Guard. They made him a White Lantern. But the one thing they didn't make him was an everyman. He hasn't been to Earth (for longer than five panels) in ages. He lives on Oa. His last girlfriend was an alien. And now we're back to the Raab style of writing him as Hal with the numbers filed off. Great.

It would have been quicker to just say Kyle Rayner was written as Peter Parker with a power ring. That was where they were going with it, and it grew from there.

Kyle has a lot of pros and cons. The pro side is that he was a fleshed out character with personality that appealed to younger readers. New readers were learning about his new life along with him.

The con side is that once he really learned about his job, and shed the Greatest American Hero schtick, he was always going to be in danger of being a John or Hal clone.

And the constant need to make Kyle "special" is a double edged sword that turned into his biggest con; He was special when he was the only Green Lantern in comics. Then when he couldn't be the only one anymore, he was the torchbearer. Then he was Ion (Twice). He's been an Honor Guard, a White Lantern, and all sorts of colors in addition to that. He's also had like 6 or 7 different costumes. He's done the omnipotent-God like power direction several times. All of that can keep renewing reader interest in the character, but it creates the pitfall of killing the marquee value of the character. There's a monetary value to all of these characters for DC, and changing their appearance, powers and name every year brings that down.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Don't worry, that'll get retconned out.
:3 *knockingonwood*
Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Kyle's character has alot of problems right now.The more DC trys to make him special the less special he seems to me.All these titles and the Carol thing just seems like another try to one up Hal.

If DC wants me back on Kyle they need to stop trying to make one better then the other and just make it a intresting to see two people handle a problem in a diffrent manner. Neither is better, they are just diffrent.

I would put Kyle back on Earth,as a plain old Green Lantern. I would give him minimal exposure to the Corps. Back In NY and being himself. Let Hal handle the Galatic Problems,Earth has more then enough bad guys to nessatate a full time Green Lantern. Plus with what happened to Coast city. I can't see Hal complaining about haveing a GL permantly stationed on Earth. Just Call the book Green Lantern 2814,and get back to basics.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

And bring back Radu.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
And bring back Radu.
Yes. That would be good. Here's a question, though. Do you only want Radu back if it meant that Kyle was stopping by his shop in NY, or would Radu, for whatever reason, ending up wherever the heck Kyle is going to be now be better than nothing? I can't decide. The first is obviously preferable, and the second seems like it would be something of an abomination, but if that was the only way for Kyle to get part of his supporting cast back...
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #25
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

There's no reason for Kyle not to move back to Bleecker Street.