The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys > Custom Figures
FLASHCHAT

Old 08-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Default Sylent's Custom Figures

This is my first attempt in nearly 2 decades at creating a custom figure related to Green Lantern. I was captivated by the great custom jobs with Psycho Pirate so I decided to try my hand. I'll go through step-by-step phases of what it took to customize the figure.

Here he is in all his glory- still new in the package. I got it from my LCS for $5. Since he was a peg warmer, the owner couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Psycho with his mask on. I have big plans for the Live Wire figure next to him.

Here he is with the battle damage to his collar. I had to use a switch blade, scissors and a fingernail clipper to create the damage effect.

"Psycho Pirate! No more silly faces!" - Black Adam- Infinite Crisis

I think the eyeball is a bit too large. I used a push pin from Target. I found something at Michael's that might work a bit better. Even so, you can see the optic neve from which the eyeball dangles.

Tell us what's on your mind. Oh! Not much. I used a Dremel tool with various tips to get that 'hole in the head' look. When working on it, it kind of freaked me out. It's not every day I drill a hole in the head of something.

To make the Black Hand symbol, I used Mighty Putty.

It's that "as seen on TV stuff" in those infomercialls at 3 in the morning. I had never seen it before and since it was fairly inexpensive and didn't require any baking or water, I decided to give it a shot.

I decided to go Alex Ross and make the Black Hand symbol ridiculously large so it stands out better. I actually like it this way.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy Mighty Putty was to scuplt, but this stuff dries FAST so you have to be quick on the draw otherwise you'll end up wasting quite a bit of this stuff. Like anything else, it's all about trial and error.

On this pic, I applied Testors Grey Primer. I love primer because the paint sticks to it. Without Primer, you have to apply at least 6 coats of paint before it sticks. By using primer, it more than cuts the number of coat applications in half.

Here, I started applying the paint. I used generic flat acryllic paints from Michael's. I don't use gloss because when I'm finish, I will apply Acryllic Gloss Sealer. I don't want the figure to appear too shiny like it was soaked in oil.

The hands of the figure pop right off so I decided to keep them separate.

I still have some touch-up jobs obviously, but this is where I am now. When I'm finished, I'll post the final product... and I have BIG plans for that cape. It was a pain painting around the darn thing. I was going to detach it but it would be even more trouble to reattach it so I left it on.

For the flesh tone, I used a typical flesh color and added white to it to give it that zombie look. I didn't want his skin to appear totally white but close to it.

I haven't completely reattached the hands. I just slightly slid them in for photos sake. I still have to apply some ridges around his forearms as shown in the reference material.

I still have a way to go, but it's shaping up quite nicely.

My reference material:

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 08-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Sylent_Asassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
TalonSoulbender

Awesome dude!! Excellent workmanship!!
I was gonna do the same thing but now I think I'm gonna wait!

Talon

LOD
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
GL13
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonSoulbender View Post

Talon

LOD
I had the same thing in mind. I got the figure and all. But i was going to use white and not silver.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonSoulbender View Post

Talon

LOD
Thanks! When I get the cape ironed out, I'll post the results. It's not as easy as I anticipated. By the way, here are some Gargoyles customs I made back in the day:

They're a tad dusty.

Xanatos in Gargoyle Armor:

Thailog with concussion blaster rifle:

Even though the series has been long since dead, I've been working on Angela figure that I started up again.

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 09-08-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Ninty
Star Manphire

hahaha gargoyles was a mint tv show
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I sort of finished the Psycho Pirate. After Blackest Night Superman came out, I changed his paint scheme a bit.

I also wans't satisfied with the eyeball or the cape so I changed those too.

I wanted the eyeball to have a bit more detail.

Before BN Superman, I didn't know Psycho Pirate was going to have an actual face so I gave him interchangeable heads.

...and here's something I'm currently working on.

Red Lantern Bleez. I chose not to include the collar as it looked a bit crowded like too much was going on. The funny thing was in some pics she has a collar and she doesn't in others. The tricky part is finding something to craft her wings.

The Base Figure was a Batman/Superman Livewire. I used some spare Spawn weapons to create her headgear... and I spent seemingly hours with the Dremel tool to sand down her hair. Here is the reference material:

I am also working on a Dex-Star. I'll provide pics of that after the Holidays.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
TalonSoulbender

Bleez looks like she's comin' along, great choice in base figure!
Looking forward to the finished product!

Talon

LOD
Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Mycroft
unable to translate

Nice costums!!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Gonza2814
Green Lantern

Your Bleez rules! Happy Hannukah!

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939
Gonza2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
syntaxic

Dig the Bleez! I'm totally going to have to steal that choice of base figure :P
Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
sj_hawkins

Looking great. Psycho-Pirate looks awesome.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Thanks, guys! I think I finally found someting to create the wings for Bleez. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

My Dex-Star is also coming along pretty well and I think I may have found the base figure for Vice and a Red Lantern Guy Gardner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxic View Post
Dig the Bleez! I'm totally going to have to steal that choice of base figure :P
The body for Livewire is actually a pretty good base for quite a few female customs. It has a simple, basic female body and doesn't require too much Dremel work. Thing is, most of them are $20+ on eBay. I got mine for $12 at my LCS.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
syntaxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
The body for Livewire is actually a pretty good base for quite a few female customs. It has a simple, basic female body and doesn't require too much Dremel work. Thing is, most of them are $20+ on eBay. I got mine for $12 at my LCS.
Yeah, I picked one up yesterday at my LCS for rather cheap. And you're definitely right about it being a good body for female customs. If I hadn't been mostly done with my Laira v2 custom, I'd definitely being using it for her as the base I used is a little more busty than I picture Laira being. Depending on what I work on after Bleez, I might have to pick up a couple more Livewires though.

I look forward to seeing your other Red Lanterns when you finish them (especially the Vice in February).
Old 01-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
ion.nai
existential absurdist

Send a message via MSN to ion.nai

very cool.
keep up the good work.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I finally finished the wings for Red Lantern Bleez.

I used the wings from a Bakugan Reaper figure that I got on clearance from Walmart for $5.

I did quite a bit of boiling water/exacto blading to shape and mold the wings down for that battle-damaged look. I wanted to go thinner but didn't want them to snap. I had that issue with other customs' appendages by going too thin.

I dremeled 2 holes in her back, filled it in with epoxy putty, affixed the wings and let it dry. I might adjust her headgear to make it a bit smaller. Haven't decided yet.

I'm sure you recognize the little guy in front of Bleez.

Stealing syntaxic's idea for a base, I went to Walmart and purchased a set of Cats called "Nature in HD" (or something like that). They are on clearance for $4.97... if you can find them.

After looking at him, I figured he appeared a bit too docile so I added some epoxy putty to cover his eyes a bit to give him an angry edge. I also added some fangs as seen in "Rage of the Red Lanterns" to give him even more of an edge. It took quite a bit of dremel work to get rid of the fur look. I wore down two bits on Dex-Star alone.

I used a bit of putty for the insignia and printed out the Red Lantern symbol on a sticker sheet so it looks neat. He needs a final once-over with touch-up paint, but I'm quite pleased how he turned out. This paint job was kind of tough since there are only 3 pics of him in existence.

Now... to finish Vice. >=o) He's going to be tough.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Here are some more shots of my custom Dex-Star.

The best part about this is it's perfectly to scale with the rest of the DC/DCUC figures. It's the exact size a cat should be in relation to a humanoid.

A friend of mine wanted me to make him a custom Dex-Star so I went back to a few Walmarts looking for that set of cats but they're all gone.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
ricky_stream
Corpse Trainee

thats so cute! just before he rips someones head off hehehehe
Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Shingo Wol

Nice customs.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #19
syntaxic

Great job holmes! Good choice on the wings too.

The lack of reference pics for Dex has been pretty annoying. He seems to have faded into obscurity with the whole Blackest Night thing, which I'm kind of disappointed about. Still, he looks good and good job on the face.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
GL13
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Your work show time and dedication, great job.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_stream
thats so cute! just before he rips someones head off hehehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo Wol
Nice customs.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxic
Great job holmes! Good choice on the wings too.

The lack of reference pics for Dex has been pretty annoying. He seems to have faded into obscurity with the whole Blackest Night thing, which I'm kind of disappointed about. Still, he looks good and good job on the face.
Thanks! I agree about Dex-Star. He's vanished into obscurity just like most of the other Corps members and from the way things look, I really doubt that aspect of Blackest Night will be revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL13
Your work show time and dedication, great job.
Thanks! Your kind words are much appreciated. I can't wait to finish the Vice and the other Crimson surprise I'm working on. I just hope the face comes out right.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

He is the Greatest Lantern of them all!!

This was a fairly easy custom. I did it while watching American Idol. All I needed to do was dremel the ring off the wrong hand and add an epoxy putty ring to the correct hand. In addition, I added a circular putty to his chest to make the White Lantern symbol stand out as Reis does in the books.

I'll need to do a bit of touch-up painting with a fine-tip brush, but I think it turned out okay. It'll look better once the touch-ups are complete.

The only reference material I have for this custom:

...and the end of BN #7

Last edited by Sylent_Asassin; 03-05-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
Gonza2814
Green Lantern

Great custom... Lame idea this White Lantern of the KKK. I'm fed up with Blackest Night

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...read.php?t=939
Gonza2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
Mycroft
unable to translate

Looks good!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Kambei

Some really nice work there. I especially like the expression on Dex-Star's face. Excellent choice of figure there. Great work on the parts mods with Bleez.
Great job on White Lantern Sinestro. The costume they gave him is just awful (not your fault), but you nailed it spot on.