Old 12-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #26
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Go wild with some awesome heavy water climax at the end,
That's what she said.

I'm pretty excited for this. Having been out of comic/comics related stuff for a while I'm thinking I'll dive back in with this one.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #27
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Dive!
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #28
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Now at 75% with 64 reviews in, still a lot of reviews outstanding but it seems to have avoided the critical panning that past DC films have gotten even if it's isn't as critically acclaimed as Wonder Woman.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
Space Cop
The Dandy

Because Science tackled what Arthur's body would have to be like:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Aquaman movie

Saw an early screening of "Aquaman" (well, early for the U.S., anyway). Hey, pretty good! I should say "surprisingly" good. The previews -- to me, particularly the first one -- made it look cheesy and dumb. A real feel good movie, and I was really worried. Everything they tried to do in this worked for me, and even all (I think? I'm pretty sure) the jokes landed. It's definitely an unintentional answer to "Black Panther" in many ways, and with even more CGI. So, so much CGI... it's pretty staggering towards the end (but what are you gonna do? 80% of the movie is all underwater). Which sounds worrisome, but they make it work. Easily as good as Wonder Woman even if it isn't as "important" of a movie, and maybe -- probably -- even better. As far as the DCEU goes, to me, it probably ranks just below "Man of Steel," which I still dig despite its weaknesses (which to me are nowhere near the level of weaknesses in any DCEU movie except for maybe WW).

Only bad thing I would say is... maybe too big? Nothing didn't work for me and the pace seemed right, but... I don't know that they needed to shoot for the stars quite so high with this. All the cards are laid out: giant disaster movie stuff, thousands fighting each under in giant undersea battles, Aquaman traveling the globe, etc.... it could have been smaller in scope and lost nothing at its core.

Sad thing is, even suspecting now that this movie will be a relative hit... what is it really going to benefit in the DCEU? JL already sunk the ship. I mean, it will improve the chances of an Aquaman 2, but what about Man of Steel 2? Or anything that matters in terms of damage control? I dunno. Give James Wan Man of Steel 2, I say. But nothing is really going to fix a dead-wrong Barry Allen or a Cyborg who shouldn't even be there, or the complete absence of a Green Lantern.

They get about as much mileage out of Nicole Kidman as they did with Michelle Pfieffer in Ant Man & The Wasp, except they let Kidman really kick ass in this (or her stuntwoman, but still). One really cool rooftop continuous shot chase/fight scene stands out with Mera and Aquaman. Wowed the whole crowd.

I also notice Geoff Johns squeezed in his recent "Trench" stuff from the comics into the movie. Decades and decades of Aquaman comics to pull from, and they just do that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #31
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Saw an early screening of "Aquaman" (well, early for the U.S., anyway) . . .
There's already a thread for the Aquaman movie.

Quote:
...Sad thing is, even suspecting now that this movie will be a relative hit... what is it really going to benefit in the DCEU? JL already sunk the ship . . .
It would be nice if DC didn't feel compelled to follow the Marvel movie. Why can't the DC movies just do their own thing without having to world build?
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

this film was ALOT of fun, and totally explains why Arthur acts the way he does: his dad was a Mandalorian!

this movie was VERY PLEASING visually, plays out like an old 80s film in the telling, and even managed to make giant seahorses look respectable; for me, it was worth a full price ticket.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #33
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Saw it last night, it's big, dumb and at times just plain bad when it came to the dialogue. That being said all the action sequences were top notch and the movie is consistently on another level visually which made it worth the money for me but your mileage may vary.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #34
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I saw it Thursday night. Fun popcorn movie. Campy and silly but a lot of fun. Like Flash Gordon with a budget if they tried harder. Actually kind of a mix of LOTR, Lion King and Black Panther. There was a lot of cringy stuff in the movie and bad CGI, but the positives of the movie outweighed all of that for me. I was pretty well entertained through the movie and got my money's worth. Not as good as WW, but better than any DC movie since Dark Knight.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
. . . Like Flash Gordon with a budget if they tried harder. . .
How could they try harder than Flash Gordon? That movie is pure perfection.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #36
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Oh God, I LOVE Flash Gordon! Saw it as a kid in the theater. Always thought it was a shame we didn't get a trilogy.

Hell, the movie Ted had me cheering 8n the theater because of the Flash Gordon tie ins. Sometimes camp works.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #37
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Aquaman Is Officially the Biggest DC Extended Universe Movie

On track for 1 billion.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #38
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

So not only is Aquaman now the 3rd biggest DC movie of all time (behind Nolan's 2nd and 3rd Batman movies), there is another encouraging stat.

Aquaman has outperformed all but 6 Marvel MCU movies (3 Avengers, Cap 3, Iron Man 3 and Black Panther).

Not too shabby for the guy who talks to fish.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #39
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hoping to see it tomorrow if the timing works out for when I leave my dentist.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #40
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm kind of surprise that "Aquaman" is nearing a $1 billion. At best, I thought the movie would make around $600 million. Something around "Ant-Man" level at the box office.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #41
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

You can't stop those rabid female fans of shirtless Mamoa...

Old 01-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #42
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I'm kind of surprise that "Aquaman" is nearing a $1 billion. At best, I thought the movie would make around $600 million. Something around "Ant-Man" level at the box office.
It really helps that it made a killing at the China box office, in addition to the solid domestic numbers. Did record breaking numbers there.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #43
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

What will be interesting to me to see if the "DCEU" continues to evolve and move pass the Snyder-verse of films with a "Flashpoint" or "Crisis" type of film to replace various actors and retcon things or just keep the Snyder-verse of things.

I'm fairly certain that Gal Gadot, Jason Mamoa and Margot Robbie are safe with their respective characters of Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Harley Quinn.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #44
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I think one or two actors may get replaced, but I don't think they'll make a film and let it play out on screen unless it actually comes out in 2020. I thought TPTB already stated the Flash movie may be something completely unrelated to Flashpoint? Even in the MCU characters like Hulk and War Machine were replaced. If Afleck isn't in Reeve's 'the Batman' then there'd be no point bringing him back for a Flashpoint movie if it comes out afterwards.

I think if we ever see another Justice League on the big screen it will be a much more inspired line-up with heroes like Shazam among the rest of the team, and without one of the big two. Reeve's Batman could build off of whatever will become of the Joker film and continue to build that universe separate for a time. We'll likely see WW84, Shazam, Joker, the Birds of Prey, the Suicide Squad relaunch, Aquaman 2, notBatfleck, and the Flash before we ever see mention of another Justice League. And that's already eight films! If GLC ever happens it would make nine, but it makes sense if TPTB want to distance themselves from the first JL flop.