The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #126
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I'm wondering who the next Alpha will be. There's still a battery out there looking for someone.

How many cases of double ring-sligning have there been in the past? ET, obviously ... and I have seen one issue of, I think, Tales of the GLC where Hal wears two rings and looks strained .... and there's another where Sinestro wears his yellow ring and a normal ring with no ill effect.

Edit:
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/gr...1960/127-1.jpg - there's the issue. Not Tales of the GLC at all. I don't have this one tho, so I dunno what's going on.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 07-21-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #127
Lantern Kreon
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via AIM to Lantern Kreon Send a message via Yahoo to Lantern Kreon

ummm

Well it happened a couple of times in SCW. Hal steals a bunch of yellow rings, CySupes has mutiple yellow rings.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #128
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Mongul wears many rings too now that I think on it. Ditto Qwasimoto-estro.

Could be that there's greater access to the power. After all, John could't remake Xanshi with one ring ... maybe he could with more? When Hal absorbed the CPB, more than the equivallant of 3,600 rings, he was able to time travel and destroy reality.

Could also have a confidence boost (strengthening the user's will) and an intimidation factor (weakening the opposition) making the already imposing ALs just that much better.

Edit: That four-armed guy in the New Corps also had four rings at one point too, didn't he? Man, that gimmick's been really overdone...

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 07-22-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #129
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

Default The Alpha Lanterns

They're the most veteran Corps members who've been fused with thier batteries and Manhunter technology, they even chant, 'No Lantern Escapes The Alpha Lanterns!'

They're basically Internal Affairs who always come off as royal jerks in almost every cop shows ever aired

Personally, I don't like them, I don't like anything about them, the second face really creeps me out when you consider how human some of them, like Boodika and Kraken used to look, it's like they've lost their souls, what made the rings choose them in the first place, they just seem like Manhunters in GL skin

Anyone else have an opinion about the Alpha Lanterns?

Last edited by Mrt1000son; 09-16-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #130
Daxamite1760

I agree. I don't like them either. It seems the Guardians have taken a step backwards with them. Trying to fuse both Lanterns and Manhunters is basically going back and upgrading Manhunters, and we all know how that ended. It's a bad idea. If they wanted an Internal Affairs type group they should have just created a group of Lanterns to do that. Or made the Honor Guard in charge of that.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #131
Lishego

I think the concept is pretty cool, I think thev're suppose to creep you out, l would think there made that way so that if they do come for you, it makes you uneasy. I have a feeling that after all is said and done they will go bye-bye.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #132
Daxamite1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lishego View Post
I think the concept is pretty cool, I think thev're suppose to creep you out, l would think there made that way so that if they do come for you, it makes you uneasy. I have a feeling that after all is said and done they will go bye-bye.
Yeah, I definitely think Johns has plans for them, but if another writer takes over sometime down the road *knocks on wood* they'll probably write them off.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #133
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I wouldn't mind them nearly as much if they were created for the story. But I hated that exhisting lanterns were modified into alphas.

And I have always believed that once their part in FC is over, they're gonna die.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #134
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
I wouldn't mind them nearly as much if they were created for the story. But I hated that exhisting lanterns were modified into alphas.

And I have always believed that once their part in FC is over, they're gonna die.
Same here. I think after Final Crisis is up, they'll be gone as well. Though, I do like them..some characters need to be assholes, its the nature of the business they're in. If people liked them then they would probably suck at their job.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 PM   #135
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
..some characters need to be assholes
But not Green Man and Chaselon

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 AM   #136
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

Chaselon's one of the oldest Lantern chracters (and technically a 'Lost Lantern' since he was found on Biot like Arisa and Lashea/Salaak's ex) but no writer ever seemed to really do anything with him, he could've become more interesting if he'd gone after Bedovian for killing Diamalon during the Sinestro Corps War, but they made him into an Alpha Lantern instead

Same for Green Man, like Chaselon he's always stuck to the rules and never really developed as a character, although I can see that like Chaselon, he could've become more comitted to dispensing justice after Deaspotellis nearly made him kill Stel, like Chaselon must be for Bedovian killing Diamalon

But as for Varix, he always seems that been an asshole and Boodika just won't let her missing hand go

I do wish John Stewart had become an Alpha Lantern, it would've been interesting to see how that turned out

Also, there's 6 Alphas for a Corps of 7200, isn't that just a little too much for them to handle, even if they don't need to sleep? And they've got their own sectors to look after too on top of their Alpha duties
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote