Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Hal deserve to stay in the spotlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
    Get off my lawn you snot-nosed little sh#t!
    Sir this is a Wendy's.

Anyways as long as the stories are interesting I don't really have a problem with Hal staying in the spotlight. Ideally they'd be able to achieve a balance with all the Earth GLs though.

Comment

So long as the comic revolves around somebody tied to the GLC, then it will be Hal-centric. The only way they'd let another character take front seat is if they kill Hal again short-term to make a big deal about bringing him back again[which I'm betting we'll see happen in a couple years or so...], or if they completely dropped the Corps concept and went back to just one guy one ring with maybe some supernatural element thrown in ala Alan Scott.

Removing Hal from the GLC concept is like the Jedi losing Yoda or Obi Wan. Yeah you can tell stories without them, but the stories including them were the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
        So long as the comic revolves around somebody tied to the GLC, then it will be Hal-centric. The only way they'd let another character take front seat is if they kill Hal again short-term to make a big deal about bringing him back again[which I'm betting we'll see happen in a couple years or so...], or if they completely dropped the Corps concept and went back to just one guy one ring with maybe some supernatural element thrown in ala Alan Scott.
        Ugh. Don't give the editors/movie people ideas about an Alan Scott GL movie. They'll keep him homosexual and without Jade/Obsidian.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
          Ugh. Don't give the editors/movie people ideas about an Alan Scott GL movie. They'll keep him homosexual and without Jade/Obsidian.
          Crossing my fingers DC forgets that stupidity when they bring the JSA back. That E2 title's GL wasn't really Alan Scott anyway. He was the gay Swamp Thing of that universe. So off the beaten path I don't even have those comics for my JSA collection. It NEVER happened...stricken from the record books!

Comment

Crossing my fingers DC forgets that stupidity when they bring the JSA back. That E2 title's GL wasn't really Alan Scott anyway. He was the gay Swamp Thing of that universe. So off the beaten path I don't even have those comics for my JSA collection. It NEVER happened...stricken from the record books!
            butbutbutbutbutbut diversity, equity, equal rights and all that stuff ()

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Its my hope that those characters are somehow explained away as "an Earth created by the strange blue visitor, full of beings that should have never existed..." in Doomsday Clock.

Comment

#notmyearth2

Comment

Was ready to write out a long answer but I’ll just keep it short, yes. Say what you will about Hal but he will always be THE definitive Green Lantern and everyone else is just a member of his supporting cast.
                  Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
                    Was ready to write out a long answer but I’ll just keep it short, yes. Say what you will about Hal but he will always be THE definitive Green Lantern and everyone else is just a member of his supporting cast.
                    Can that be the case when GL flourished without him at all for the 11 years with Kyle?

Comment

Well, for eight or nine years. When Marz left, so did more and more readers. Then again, with all the big name creators put on the book starting with Rebirth, the same sales could have been made with any other Earth Lantern.

Comment

GL also flourished even better for 10 years under Alan Scott. He carried a solo title 2 anthologies and a team book. His sales numbers were larger than anything GL has seen since.

Comment

Very good point.

Comment

Well, that was, of course, a completely different era when the industry as a whole was a lot healthier. However, I don't think Hal Jordan is necessary to have as a lead character for the Green Lantern franchise to flourish. However, he is, by far, the most used one, and as such, has probably built the biggest fanbase of comic buyers.

Working on comics myself, I've really learned something. Even though I didn't really learn it, because it's something we all know. The more content you put out, the more people seem to like your stuff... If it's any good. Like I said, it's something you already know, but when you actually see it in effect with your own stuff... I guess... you know it... more? You just kind of feel it differently, and your perspective on some things can open, widen, or change.

Hal Jordan has a lot more content as a leading man than any of the others, so I see why some people in power keep going back to him, and why some fans prefer him most. There's a lot of precedent there, and since he has way more content behind him than the others, there's more for writers to work with, if they care to.

I think what I'm getting at is my perspective changed from being a fan of comics, to more of a maker of comics, and looking at it that way, I understand why Hal Jordan is often in the spotlight compared to the others. Which isn't bad, because lately, I've found fans to sometimes be somewhat irrational or... mmm... how to say... their vision is sometimes clouded by fandom. It's understandable, because being a fan of something is mostly an emotional response. Things like reason, practicality, objective reality, often take a backseat to feelings.
                            Star-Lantern
                            Weaponer of Qward
                            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-09-2019, 12:28 AM.
                            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                              ... lately, I've found fans to sometimes be somewhat irrational or... mmm... how to say... their vision is sometimes clouded by fandom. It's understandable, because being a fan of something is mostly an emotional response. Things like reason, practicality, objective reality, often take a backseat to feelings.
                              "Reason" and "objective reality" have almost no place in dramatic fiction. Those are pretty much opposing forces.

Comment

You can tell a Story about some one who does the same stuff,but at the end of the day people want the iconic Green Lantern. Marvel is kinda learning this lesson. replacement heroes seldom work. They just make people miss the old ones.

Jane Foster Thor anyone?
                                Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                                X