The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #126
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Yeah, fair enough. If we're going to keep the spectrum, it makes sense to have Kyle in a book devoted to it.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 AM   #127
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

I continue to dislike where Hal's characterization is going (the reboot has turned him back into an inexperienced, brash, selfish, petulant, impulsive a$$hole, and those are his good points). I think what Guy has been relegated to is a waste of material. I like the direction Kyle is going, and see him in an ongoing role with the "new" Guardians, but question the company he's keeping. And as for John, he should be in charge. Better commander, man without a world (as established in the new 52), great presence.

So where should Hal be going? In recent times he's already been (1) killed again and resurrected again, (2) stripped of his ring again and restored to it again, (3) returned to Earth again and kicked back out into space again, (4) separated from his woman again and (5) regressed in age to an early twenties twerp again. So let's try something different. The galaxy finds him guilty of crimes against civilization, maybe, for his "declaration" on the superiority of green rings? Five to ten in a sciencell might do his hubris some good, and it would save us from any more slaughtering of the character.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Last edited by Evergreen City; 02-06-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #128
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
...And as for John, he should be in charge. Better commander, man without a world (as established in the new 52), great presence...
I'm a huge Hal fan (as I believe you are too) and even I agree with that ... assuming we had to pick an Earth GL (after all Salaak or Kilowog might be technically more qualified). Although both served, John was more used to being a team player and leader, he had experience as a Guardian, and he's much more level-headed.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 AM   #129
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I'm a huge Hal fan (as I believe you are too) and even I agree with that ... assuming we had to pick an Earth GL (after all Salaak or Kilowog might be technically more qualified). Although both served, John was more used to being a team player and leader, he had experience as a Guardian, and he's much more level-headed.
I don't know about the whole John is a great leader persona being placed on him. He was a grunt in the marines. Took orders, then disobeyed them and punched a superior officer out in the field.

Hal on the other hand was a Captain in the Air Force, and is used to making decisions at the speed of sound. He's defeated virtually every major villain the GLC has by himself, before the new52. New 52 Hal is basically a General Patton. Wins every battle, but needs brass over the top of him keeping him in line.

Johns stupid turning of the Guardians evil crap has set the GLC back, giving them really no universal scope. Hal simply is a situational leader, not an administrative one, and neither is John. Venditte before he gets canned from this gig needs to bring Ganthet and Sayd back to lead the corps and start anew.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #130
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Weareborg, I hear what you're saying. I'm one of the hugest Hal fans around. But we've got no idea in the New 52 what ranks Hal and John rose to. GL #1 merely mentions that Jordan was cut loose by the AF, presumably for being AWOL in space. GLC gives an outline of an incident early in Stewart's career. Whatever they may have been pre-new 52 is now moot, which is, I do believe, the entire point of this thread. What is being written now is not consistent with what went before, and even in and of itself makes little sense. That is what has me, a reader of GL since way way long before you, or most on this board, were born...quite annoyed. At the moment I am enduring, but not liking, the GL comics.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 AM   #131
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Weareborg, I hear what you're saying. I'm one of the hugest Hal fans around. But we've got no idea in the New 52 what ranks Hal and John rose to. GL #1 merely mentions that Jordan was cut loose by the AF, presumably for being AWOL in space. GLC gives an outline of an incident early in Stewart's career. Whatever they may have been pre-new 52 is now moot, which is, I do believe, the entire point of this thread. What is being written now is not consistent with what went before, and even in and of itself makes little sense. That is what has me, a reader of GL since way way long before you, or most on this board, were born...quite annoyed. At the moment I am enduring, but not liking, the GL comics.
I hear you. I guess, I'm going on the idea that Johns said the GLC didn't get rebooted, just compressed. Grunts like John don't generally don't get promoted higher than officers, but this is comics so who knows. I just haven't seen anything that shows John as a great leader that's all I'm saying. Angry black man routines just don't inspire confidence in my opinion, but Hal's jump first without thinking isn't Air Force material for pilots that fly 100 million dollar planes either.

I just wish Ganthet and Sayd would come back and run the corps and let Hal become the ass kicker he's always been in the past. It's hard to read a comic where the main character is an unlikeable, incompetent ass, which is why I think the sales are falling on this comic so fast. It wouldn't surprise me if by July the main title is under 40k and the other titles are under 30k.

Hal needs to be a bigger than life, unstoppable force of supreme willpower again. DC needs to repower up the GL's to be a real threat again. One on One a GL should be able to handle a Superman/Supergirl. Contain supernovas but can't hold a Kryptonian. BS DC.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #132
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i buy it hoping its gonna be better but I'm not really a fan of whats going on with hal right now
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #133
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg View Post
I just wish Ganthet and Sayd would come back and run the corps and let Hal become the ass kicker he's always been in the past. It's hard to read a comic where the main character is an unlikeable, incompetent ass, which is why I think the sales are falling on this comic so fast. It wouldn't surprise me if by July the main title is under 40k and the other titles are under 30k.

Hal needs to be a bigger than life, unstoppable force of supreme willpower again. DC needs to repower up the GL's to be a real threat again. One on One a GL should be able to handle a Superman/Supergirl. Contain supernovas but can't hold a Kryptonian. BS DC.
While sales on the titles have gone down (as one would expect when the biggest writer in comics leaves the Green Lantern title), it's not entirely fair to solely blame that on the quality of the Green Lantern books without taking the bigger picture into account. We need perspective on how all the other comics are doing.

Just to compare, in February 2013, for monthly comic sales, New Guardians was at #50, selling 42,285. In December 2013, the #50 comic was Justice League Dark selling 36,353. In Dec. 2013, Green Lantern Corps was at #57, which isn't far from where New Guardians was in the ranking for Feb. 2013.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...3/2013-02.html
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...3/2013-12.html

So, what I'm getting at is that if there is a decline in monthly comic sales, it isn't fair to lay the blame at Green Lantern's feet for getting caught up in it. I'm sure that there are some who left because they don't like the books, but overall, people were just not buying as many comics. At least not from the direct market. I have no idea how digital is doing, but pretty great, I hear. Just a conjecture, but perhaps some of the decline is due to some people switching to digital. I think it's safe to assume that the bigger the digital sales get, the smaller sales on the physical copies will be.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 02-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #134
BLACK HAND
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchBearer2814 View Post
i buy it hoping its gonna be better but I'm not really a fan of whats going on with hal right now
I stopped reading all GL for about a year now from collecting every title since around when Hal came back. I just kept giving it chance after chance but it kept kind of saddling my expectations. I was hoping it would feel more like a fresh start after Johns left but from what I hear things seem to be going along like how I left it, bad baggage and all that continuity nonsense. I like Venditti's X-O Manowar and Valiant comic stuff, so I don't think he's a bad writer at all, just not impressed by the new GL stuff from my brief perusing at the stands. I was hoping coming back here would change my feelings...convince me to try it out again. I kind of miss old Hal, but I guess people change after "dying" two or three times.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #135
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

You make valid points Star-Lantern. The New52 has certainly ran it's course and there is a franchise loss across the board. However, I disagree with you on the lose of Johns hurting the sales.

Geoff really jumped the shark in the new52 relaunch of GL. Sinestro and then Baz leading the title really hurt the brand. His never ending stupid events about skittles ran off a lot of readers to the point that the title was in serious decline. I'm sure you'll argue that GL was still a top 20 comic when he left, but it went from a top 2-3 comic to shedding readers and dropping out of the top 25.

Scott Snyder took over from Grant fucking Morrison and EXPANDED the readership. He brought new ideas, new villains, new direction for the entire line. Venditti and company have taken an idea the was shedding readers and turned it into a Climate change arguement that further weakened the power level of the power ring. You can't make the most interesting and power character of the line into a ho hum guy, and think people will stay with the line.

The other titles rely on a strong main title to bring in interest into the other books in line. All these guys have done is further fracture the existing fanbase and split the readers into reading only the book that has THEIR character in it with ZERO chance of expanding the readership. I personally have always supported the entire line because I love the concept of the GLC and want all the characters to shine, now Robert is trying to make the other characters shine at the expense of Hal. As of issue 30, I'm dropping all the titles until they change the creative teams. I order on DCBS and am getting the titles at 40 percent discount, now even that discount can't make me keep getting these titles.

I might still read trades of the main title if DCBS keeps selling them at 12 bucks, but watching the destruction of my second favorite comic character may drive me away from comics as a whole. I might own Robert a thank you note at the end of issue 30 if he still sucks as a writer, and I take the money saved and buy the rest of the Game of Thrones books.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #136
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg View Post
I might own Robert a thank you note at the end of issue 30 if he still sucks as a writer, and I take the money saved and buy the rest of the Game of Thrones books.
You should buy those book regardless. A Song Of Ice And Fire is 10 times better than the show!
Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #137
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
You should buy those book regardless. A Song Of Ice And Fire is 10 times better than the show!
I own the first 4 on my Kindle. Love the books except for Lady Stark. I can't wait to read the Red Wedding.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #138
greenblogger
Fatality's Blacksmith

With the start of the New 52, I got all hyped and followed Green Lanterns, Green Lantern Corps, and New Guardians given the fact that the comic books were billed to have a Green Lantern in the lead. Eventually I dropped two of them and stayed with the Green Lantern. As of now I had no regrets dropping New Guardians given the fact that he is a White Lantern now. I'm not saying that the story of the book is good or bad, it's just that with the way the story is going, it is in a story of its own away from Hal's. I'm thinking of getting again the GLC now that the stories goes along with the main GL title. I will still follow the GL books regardless of the author or the artist, though I always look forward to reading good stories and appreciating good art.
greenblogger is offline   Reply With Quote