The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg View Post
I don't see people on here hoping for Johns death, or him to be banned from comics.
Some have.

I think it comes down to this...

" I dislike this story and am not enjoying GL and it's direction."

vs

" God this s*^& is garbage and all you people buying these comics and supporting this garbage are also garbage and you all need to think like I do because I am right and you are wrong and you also shouldn't be enjoying the comic book because I am not enjoying it you should feel sorry for yourself for liking this now go jump off a cliff and die like Hal and Johns has raped my childhood and i'm emotionally destroyed forever. RAWR."

Last edited by Trigger; 04-15-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Is that a direct quote from Naysay?

It sounds like something he might say. At least the first bit.

I think you can also essentially be in the first group you mention (I count myself as one of those, even if I am still getting SOME enjoyment out of GL), but get lumped into the second by those that disagree, and view anybody that STRONGLY dislikes the current direction and recent stories as "just being a hater".
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I think you can also essentially be in the first group you mention (I count myself as one of those, even if I am still getting SOME enjoyment out of GL), but get lumped into the second by those that disagree, and view anybody that STRONGLY dislikes the current direction and recent stories as "just being a hater".
Indeed. I hope I am too. I really try not judge people for what they like. They can be Geoff Johns' biggest fans or Twilight tweens. I can't claim to have the best taste being a big fan of every Godzilla movie, cheesy horror movies, and corny dubbed kung fu flicks.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #29
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I think that second group quote was the credo of H.E.A.T., if you substitute in Kyle and Marz.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I hate the idea of Green Lantern. A green super hero? pffft A human lantern for a alien organization? pffffffffft.

Can't stand Green Lantern.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I think that second group quote was the credo of H.E.A.T., if you substitute in Kyle and Marz.
Good times, good times.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #32
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Is that a direct quote from Naysay?

It sounds like something he might say. At least the first bit.

Oh har har it is to laugh.

But for serious...

the current plot lines ARE garbage.

Here's why I care that other people are enjoying garbage.

IF "Green Lantern" was the same thing as "Hamburgers" and "DC" was just "McDonalds" then I could just go to "Burger King" or "Wendys" and get their version of "Green Lantern".

But unfortunately that's not how it works. If I go to "Burger King" I can't get "Green Lantern". I have to get "Nova" at "Burger King". Well I don't like "Nova". I like "Green Lantern". But I can't get a GOOD "Green Lantern" because "McDonalds" has decided they're only going to sell "Shitty Multi Colored Green Lantern" because all the dumb asses line up in droves to buy it.

So yea..... if you purchased all the multi-colored lantern toys or got a tattoo of the Blue Lantern Corps or got in an argument about whether or not Larfleeze should be comic relief or scary...

Fuck you. You're killing the thing I love and you're bad.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #33
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

* Buys Shitty Multi Colored Green Lantern in... 3D XD vision taste*
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I do have a question for Rotten2thecorps, why is it bad for people to ask for a better written comic? This comic has not been firing on all cylinders for a long time, is it better to not point out the lack of focus and strong storylines? Is it bad to point out that Geoff has shown more interest in Aquaman, and Batman Year one, than GL?

Sorry I took me some time to answer this,but Nothing is wrong with wanting a better GL comic,but there comes a point where people are complaining for complainings sake. I think Tomasi is one of the worst writters to pen GL but I stopped buying things he wrote and gave myself nothing new to complain about him. If the burner is hot why keep touching it?

Let's be honest who dose not want a better Green Lantern Comic. I am not in love with it at the moment but It is far from the worst it has ever been. Remember Hal and Underage Arisa? Or Hobo Hal?

Speaking of Wich I get a little annoyed by the people that say Goeff writes to stroke his own ego,it seems to me like he is trying to retcon out alot of the mistakes other writters have made,ET Statuatory Rapist Hal and so on.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #35
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Let's be honest who dose not want a better Green Lantern Comic. I am not in love with it at the moment but It is far from the worst it has ever been. Remember Hal and Underage Arisa? Or Hobo Hal?

Speaking of Wich I get a little annoyed by the people that say Goeff writes to stroke his own ego,it seems to me like he is trying to retcon out alot of the mistakes other writters have made,ET Statuatory Rapist Hal and so on.
Having recently read Showcase #22 I do agree that it's probably for the best that sexual harassment Hal is hopefully gone from continuity
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
Having recently read Showcase #22 I do agree that it's probably for the best that sexual harassment Hal is hopefully gone from continuity
I think He'd be best friends with Sexual Harassment Panda

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #37
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Sexual harassment Hal was a fucking boss. Those were the days.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #38
weareborg
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Wink

Thanks for the responses. I personally haven't read any "vehnemous" comments about Johns and I think that term get thrown around way to much. It seems to me that broad strokes are common on the internet, and I guess in this PC world it drives me nuts at to what people find offensive.

As to 'fixing' mistakes of the past, rather than rewrite them, there pretty easily ignored. Not sleeping with Arisia now a days, Hal would be labled as a Xenophobe, rather than a statuatory rapist, but such is the times.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I like Green Lantern, but I'm not too crazy about the direction the title has gone in since Brightest Day. Hal Jordan is my favorite superhero and I've been reading GL books since I was 11, so yeah, I'm going to be a smidge upset that he's not even starring in his own title and playing second fiddle to his greatest enemy.

I have no hate for GJ. I've met the guy a few times and he's even signed a few of my books. Can't hate that. Sure, he's retconned the hell out of his own work, but you can't argue with the results during the early days of his run. In addition, he's responsible for putting GL on the mainstream map. Without GJ, there's no movie, although in hindsight, that may have been a good thing.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
In addition, he's responsible for putting GL on the mainstream map.
People really need to stop equating that with any definition of quality. The two couldn't be more different. Once in a blue moon, they match up, but it's more due to luck than anything else.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
People really need to stop equating that with any definition of quality. The two couldn't be more different. Once in a blue moon, they match up, but it's more due to luck than anything else.
Well, I've heard people do that, but Sylent wasn't really saying that. At most he implied that it was a good thing Johns brought GL more exposure and that could be true in any number of ways having nothing to do with the quality of the main title (gives us more lantern titles [giving other authors a shot], gives us more merchandise, makes it more likely Hal will appear in other places like movies, different comics, and video games).
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #42
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Well, I've heard people do that, but Sylent wasn't really saying that. At most he implied that it was a good thing Johns brought GL more exposure and that could be true in any number of ways having nothing to do with the quality of the main title (gives us more lantern titles [giving other authors a shot], gives us more merchandise, makes it more likely Hal will appear in other places like movies, different comics, and video games).
Yes this. I think you should be the personal translator to SD80MAC
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #43
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

I'm sad that the only version of the GL universe that I actively enjoyed has been cancelled. Damn I'm really going to miss that cartoon.

As for the books? I prefer more character based stuff.
Gimmicks are all well and good, but if you don't have a solid character base to build on all you've got is flash with no bang.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #44
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Thank you! I don't get to articulate my thoughts as I would like with the looming threat of someone catching me perusing this site during work time.

Regarding Johns, Rebirth and SCW were some damn good stories with quality writing. It tailed off in the middle of Blackest Night, which is where Hal sort of got lost in the shuffle.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #45
Hybrid Lantern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
all you've got is flash with no bang.
Wouldn't that be what an issue of Flash would be like with no explosions? ;p
Hybrid Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #46
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Yes this. I think you should be the personal translator to SD80MAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Thank you! I don't get to articulate my thoughts as I would like with the looming threat of someone catching me perusing this site during work time...
Cool. Glad it wasn't stepping on your toes then. I do that some time and think "why am I speaking for someone else?"
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #47
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
"Sexual Harassment Hal's" overtures were quite welcome by Carol in Showcase 22 (meaning they weren't really harassment, fellows--just sexual)--until her dad's ultimatum about "no romance or you can't run the company" was leveled. Then she became cold as ice to Hal out of sheer economic ambition. Like most comics, the stories in this book were products of their times. And certainly, the kiss on the porch between GL and Carol is a classic.

Maybe you fellows had better learn a little history. Comic books, like most popular literature, are historical time capsules. Gardner Fox and Julie Schwartz both respected and admired strong women. Carol Ferris was one of the strongest women in comics in the 1960s. Many young girls my age (and I was a young girl in the 1960s) looked up to--and were inspired by--the idea of a woman who had shattered the pink ceiling, even if it was a gift from her dad. Sure the scenes of Hal chasing Carol around the desk are stereotypical imagery. He wanted to marry her. He had already proposed several times, in jest. And they were dating when Hal got the ring.

One could make the same argument about Hal's comments early in Volume 2 of "I'd rather fight than switch" (cigarette slogan--by the way, find the two issues in which Hal is shown smoking and you get a gold star!), or his remarks about Vida Blue's pitching, or even in the latest issue of GL:NG the comments about Korugar resembling North Korea (or vice versa). Sometimes it's fun to read back issues for historical anachronisms.

I would much rather see the self-assured, college-educated, honorably-discharged-veteran, confident, macho Hal than this current fluffy version. Different writers, different characterizations, all development of a single character, but all in continuity.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #48
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
Maybe you fellows had better learn a little history. Comic books, like most popular literature, are historical time capsules. Gardner Fox and Julie Schwartz both respected and admired strong women. Carol Ferris was one of the strongest women in comics in the 1960s. Many young girls my age (and I was a young girl in the 1960s) looked up to--and were inspired by--the idea of a woman who had shattered the pink ceiling, even if it was a gift from her dad. Sure the scenes of Hal chasing Carol around the desk are stereotypical imagery. He wanted to marry her. He had already proposed several times, in jest. And they were dating when Hal got the ring.
Yes, I'm quite aware that times were different 50 years ago. I'm not suggesting burning or banning or getting rid of Showcase #22. I'm just saying that it doesn't fit the current timeline anymore as these events didn't happen in the 1960s but (at in in the DCnU) in 2008 (or so). He would probably not behave like a perv. Which is good.
SocializingMogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #49
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
"Sexual Harassment Hal's" overtures were quite welcome by Carol in Showcase 22 (meaning they weren't really harassment, fellows--just sexual)--until her dad's ultimatum about "no romance or you can't run the company" was leveled. Then she became cold as ice to Hal out of sheer economic ambition. Like most comics, the stories in this book were products of their times. And certainly, the kiss on the porch between GL and Carol is a classic.

One could make the same argument about Hal's comments early in Volume 2 of "I'd rather fight than switch" (cigarette slogan--by the way, find the two issues in which Hal is shown smoking and you get a gold star!), or his remarks about Vida Blue's pitching, or even in the latest issue of GL:NG the comments about Korugar resembling North Korea (or vice versa). Sometimes it's fun to read back issues for historical anachronisms.

I would much rather see the self-assured, college-educated, honorably-discharged-veteran, confident, macho Hal than this current fluffy version. Different writers, different characterizations, all development of a single character, but all in continuity.
I am guilty of many crimes,but not reading Classic Green Lantern is not amongst them. Weather Carol Welcomed them or not in Todays world no company would be stupid enough to let that kind of behavior continue. All It would take would be for one outsider to see Hal trying to get into Carol's pants. Until Human Recouces gets called. Look I like the idea of a time where you could tell a dirty joke in the locker room,or even maybe call your eskmo friend "Pie Face".I like the idea of people smart enough to know what was said and how it was ment, but I could see how some people today may not share my warm Squishy feeling for the late 50's Early 60's mentality.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #50
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I am guilty of many crimes,but not reading Classic Green Lantern is not amongst them. Weather Carol Welcomed them or not in Todays world no company would be stupid enough to let that kind of behavior continue. . .
You've worked in the real world, right? Because this is not my experience at all. Once someone knows they can get away with something, they usually do. At my last job I became good friends with this one lady and we "flirted" quite blatantly, even in front of other co-workers because we both knew we were kidding. I even remember thinking to myself on different occasions, "if BA and I weren't friends one of us could've just gotten written up." And I hear the same kind of stories from all my friends and family. As long as they think they can get away with people will be persistent and even obscene.