The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
pryko
Corps Recruit

Default A New Reader

So I'm a new reader of Green Lantern. I've purchased issues 1-9 of the new 52 Green Lantern series. Is this a good starting point, or should I look into getting some of the older stories too to get a good grasp of what's going on?

Also, would anyone recommend reading Green Lantern Corps and Green Lantern New Guardians as well? Will there be any crossover stories in the future?
pryko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I'd start with 2007's "The Sinestro Corps War," and work your way forward from that. There's a lot of material, but unfortunately Geoff Johns (the author) continuously builds from one story to the next. The good news is that it's all been collected in trade paperback format, so you can get it cheap from Amazon and the like.

GL Corps is very good, and New Guardians is fantastic. I definitely recommend both of them. A crossover between all GL titles is coming later this year.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern

I would start with Rebirth. Start at the beginning of John's run. SD80MAC is right about these books being cheaper on Trade Paperbacks. So go for it and enjoy the ride!!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well seeing as you've purchased the first 9 issues of Green Lantern, what do you think? If you're having no problem following the story then by all means just stick with that but if you'd like to get some more back story I'd refer you to our handy dandy reading order. Like SD80MAC said Johns constantly builds on his previous stories and since he's been the GL writer since 2005 there is a lot of stuff to catch up on if you wish to. Personally if you're interested in starting from the "beginning" I'd recommend Rebirth which kicks off the Volume 4 and modern era of Green Lantern.

As for GLC and New Guardians I'm personally not a fan but my advice to you like all new readers is pick up a couple of issues and make your own decision since personal preference varies so much.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I would read secret origin first, then emerald dawn, then rebirth, then sinestro corps war, then blackest night, then brightest day, then read some vintage issues. Also you should learn which is your favourate GL. There's Hal Jordan the main one, Guy Gardener the dude that wears a coat, John Stewart the black one, and Kyle Rayner the young one with dark hair and is proberbly the most unique one. Hal is in the main GL title, John and Guy are in green lantern corps, and Kyle is in green lantern: new guardians along with members of other corps. There's also a spin-off called red lanterns. It's ok and one of the few titles i'm currently reading, but it's not that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
pryko
Corps Recruit

Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to look into getting some of these titles in trade paperbacks then.

I knew a little of Green Lantern anyway, but not loads. Kinda can keep up with it, but at the same time don't know too much about any of the history though. So I was unsure whether this would be needed to keep up with the story. I thought the the reason for the new 52 reboot was so new readers could start from scratch
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Yeah, the GL and Batman books kept a lot of their ongoing stories from before the New 52, so they're a failure in that regard. Still good books, though!

I left out Rebirth and all that came before it because it's all been retconned away. Just thought that would be easier.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Deadpool

But it's still enjoyable, that's the main thing.
Quote:
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryko View Post
Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I'll have to look into getting some of these titles in trade paperbacks then.

I knew a little of Green Lantern anyway, but not loads. Kinda can keep up with it, but at the same time don't know too much about any of the history though. So I was unsure whether this would be needed to keep up with the story. I thought the the reason for the new 52 reboot was so new readers could start from scratch
All of the DCnU (that's what we call the new 52 books since Sept. of 2011) books are starting to be collected in trades. GLC, GLNG and RL's first six-issue stories will be collected soon.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Deadpool

Personaly, I'd just buy the seperate issues if you can find them all (that's what I did), the trade paper backs may be cheaper, but the comics will be worth more in the future and it's just nicer.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
The British Lantern
Not A Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Personaly, I'd just buy the seperate issues if you can find them all (that's what I did), the trade paper backs may be cheaper, but the comics will be worth more in the future and it's just nicer.
You did that you must shit out money .

The singles worn't be worth that much in the future if I remember correctly only certain comics go up in price first appearances and so on or if you have the complete run. but if you enjoy the stories why would you sell them?

Trades are the way to go in my opinion easier to read and to store whilst also takes less time and money to get the singles which makes it less of an investment .

My main advice is to just read what you think looks interesting and if you get stuck on anything just check Wikipedia
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Corwin
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I'd start with 2007's "The Sinestro Corps War," and work your way forward from that. There's a lot of material, but unfortunately Geoff Johns (the author) continuously builds from one story to the next.
Unfortunately? Really? That is what I love about comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I would read secret origin first, then emerald dawn, then rebirth, then sinestro corps war, then blackest night, then brightest day, then read some vintage issues.
This one gets me every time...Secret Origins first then Rebirth? Ok if you only want to read Secret Origins then forward I can see but to go from SO to Rebirth seems to ruin the momentum built up from Rebirth all the way to Sinestro Corps War.

But hey that's just me. The person who thinks Red Lanterns is getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The British Lantern View Post
You did that you must shit out money .

The singles worn't be worth that much in the future if I remember correctly only certain comics go up in price first appearances and so on or if you have the complete run. but if you enjoy the stories why would you sell them?

Trades are the way to go in my opinion easier to read and to store whilst also takes less time and money to get the singles which makes it less of an investment .
OR you can just bind your issues....

Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
pryko
Corps Recruit

With regards to purchasing TPB's or single issues, I'm a digital reader anyway, which is a LOT easier to store your comics, but has no future sale price
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

You could also search in youtube for a quick introduccion to the GL mythos, this is the best Ive found so far:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryko View Post
With regards to purchasing TPB's or single issues, I'm a digital reader anyway, which is a LOT easier to store your comics, but has no future sale price
Doesn't comiXology offer digital TPB collections at a discounted price?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
TKE-REF
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Welcome to the GL club, I've been reading for over 18 years now and I have always enjoyed it (most of the time). I'd say start with Secret Origin for sure if you are interested in finding out about Hal's roots and beginnings. Then move on to Emerald Twilight if you want to see his down fall as Parallax and the start of Kyle Rayner's career because this is a key story line and it always comes back to bite Hal in the ass. The Sinestro Corps war and it's build up are also great and necessary reads as well. Now for the Green Lantern Corps title the Sinestro Corps war and it's following issues are all pretty great too.
TKE-REF is offline   Reply With Quote