Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #4 Preview
    Writer: Robert Venditti
    Artist: Ethan Van Sciver

7.69%
    0.00%
    30.77%
    46.15%
    15.38%

What the HELL did Soranik do?!? (and why are the stitches so big? That's not the work of a top surgeon)

Without any scenes together, this has already been the most enjoyable Hal/Sinestro story in awhile. Sin's fixation with the "one man" who's beaten him time and again is almost comedic in how frustrated Sinestro is getting at not having Hal in his clutches. Guy as the "consolation prize" is priceless! Others have said this, but Venditti does seem to have all the characters' voices down. I don't believe this is the same guy who made me drop GL when he first took over.

Comment

Originally posted by Kane2814 View Post
      What the HELL did Soranik do?!? (and why are the stitches so big? That's not the work of a top surgeon)...
      This has me really curious too. EVS' rendering of Hal's pained face was excellent.

I liked this issue.

The Fear Engine seems to contradict the Relic reservoir theory: if fear from individuals can refuel YLs, the yellow reservoir should be endless as long as there are emotional beings around.

Comment

REVIEW: Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #4

Comment

I think the thing that interests me the most is if there will be an explanation to what happened to the Green Lantern Corps to make them disappear. To be honest, I actually lost interest in finding out what that was about, but it would be kinda' funny if that entire plot point was never addressed, and I'm just wondering if it will be. Venditti doesn't seem like the type of writer to ignore that. If he does address it, I wonder if it will be the same thing Bunn had in mind. Maybe one of these days I'll ask Cullen Bunn what his original plan was, because I doubt it is still in effect.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            This has me really curious too. EVS' rendering of Hal's pained face was excellent.

I liked this issue.

The Fear Engine seems to contradict the Relic reservoir theory: if fear from individuals can refuel YLs, the yellow reservoir should be endless as long as there are emotional beings around.
            Unless, of course, individuals draw THEIR fear from the reservoir as well, though that raises a different problem with Relic's theory, because if all emotional beings in the universe draw their emotions from the reservoir, then focusing on stopping ring-bearers seems pointless, since they would just a be a tiny drop in the bucket. It'd be like trying to stop Global Warming by really cracking down on the greenhouse gas emissions of Lichtenstein.

Comment

I like Sinestro returning to his outright villainy in this arc. Antihero was okay, but he's best when he's an unapologetic baddie.

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              Unless, of course, individuals draw THEIR fear from the reservoir as well, though that raises a different problem with Relic's theory, because if all emotional beings in the universe draw their emotions from the reservoir, then focusing on stopping ring-bearers seems pointless, since they would just a be a tiny drop in the bucket. It'd be like trying to stop Global Warming by really cracking down on the greenhouse gas emissions of Lichtenstein.
              Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I like Sinestro returning to his outright villainy in this arc. Antihero was okay, but he's best when he's an unapologetic baddie.

Yep.
                To be fair, in this issue, he actually takes a step back from outright villainy since he doesn't want children brought to the engine and he doesn't want the Corps to be monsters, just enforcers. Just instilling enough fear. Not that this is the impression he gave to his Corps when he sent them out to do their thing.
                "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
                Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
                Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
                who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
                to change the world. This time, Lord...
                Let me be worthy."

Comment

[Spoilers]

Originally posted by Spectremjm View Post
                  To be fair, in this issue, he actually takes a step back from outright villainy since he doesn't want children brought to the engine and he doesn't want the Corps to be monsters, just enforcers. Just instilling enough fear. Not that this is the impression he gave to his Corps when he sent them out to do their thing.
                  Yep. I thought that kid was going to die at first. Of course, it was pretty hardcore to kill his own guy.

Comment

I wouldn't put it past him to have been deliberately vague and/or misleading so that he'd likely get the opportunity to make an example of somebody when they "messed up". Probably figured that would get across his point of what was acceptable more memorably than just telling them explicitly.

Comment

^He made a point of having word spread of the execution, so that's not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        I wouldn't put it past him to have been deliberately vague and/or misleading so that he'd likely get the opportunity to make an example of somebody when they "messed up". Probably figured that would get across his point of what was acceptable more memorably than just telling them explicitly.
                        But he was pretty clear about how he wanted the Corps to turn on everyone that had welcomed them. So besides that being a pretty stupid strategy to use on everyone, it also seemed odd that every Corps member just went along with it. Especially Arkillo, who was clearly enjoying being a hero on Earth. This also opens the door for conflict between Arkillo and Saint Walker, which really sucks, because seeing them work as a team would be much more interesting and satisfying. Unless, of course, Arkillo just can't do what Sinestro wants him to do, at least on Earth.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

Having some kind of line by not killing a child for no reason (and believe me, if he had a reason, he'd have no problem doing it) Just because his actions might align with our morality once in awhile doesn't mean he shares our values or that he's not an outright villain. He wants to instill fear and the dead can't feel fear. He also needs those strong enough to survive the Fear Engine. Don't start thinking Sin's a softie...

Comment

Having some kind of line by not killing a child for no reason (and believe me, if he had a reason, he'd have no problem doing it) Just because his actions might align with our morality once in awhile doesn't mean he shares our values or that he's not an outright villain. He wants to instill fear and the dead can't feel fear. He also needs those strong enough to survive the Fear Engine. Don't start thinking Sin's a softie...
                            Agreed. Hitler loved dogs.

Comment

Ha, no one said he was a softie. Just pointing out this wasn't really the issue to talk about how Sinestro embraced all-out villainy again. The issue where he sent the Corps out to do their dirty work was, since that was the most hard-lined we've seen Sinestro openly in years.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

Working...
                              X