Best Alan Scott figure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Alan Scott figure?

So i caved and decided to add Alan Scott to my GL display. I was wondering which one do you guys (and gals) recommend that is the closest in scale with the current DCD GL/BN figure series. I'm thinking abot getting the new one from the Justice Society line, but its a Ross figure and they tend to be in scale with only themselves.

ok so nvm on the JSA one. just checked its dimensions and its about 7.2 inches. what about the one from the First Appearance series? any thoughts?

Comment

Get the first JSA Alan figure, not the Ross one. The first Alan figure DCD did is still the best. The only flaw is that his ring is on his ring finger, and not his middle one. Don't let that scare you of though, the sculpt is one of the better ones DCD did over the years and the likeness is great. And the scale fits with all the good figures (that aren't suffering scale issues, lol).

The 1st appearances figure, the Ross Kingdom Come figure and the Ross JSA one are all very nice, but not what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
        Get the first JSA Alan figure, not the Ross one. The first Alan figure DCD did is still the best. The only flaw is that his ring is on his ring finger, and not his middle one. Don't let that scare you of though, the sculpt is one of the better ones DCD did over the years and the likeness is great. And the scale fits with all the good figures (that aren't suffering scale issues, lol).

The 1st appearances figure, the Ross Kingdom Come figure and the Ross JSA one are all very nice, but not what you're looking for.
        what WOULDNT you reccommend about the 1st Appearance one? thats the one im kinda leaning towards. the kicker for me is that cloth cape. I try to avoid those if i have to.

Comment

I gotta side with Dave on this, The first DCD one is the way to go!
          But you might want to hold off for a while, I believe DCUC is coming out with Alan Scott in 2010.

Talon

LOD

Comment

I like the first one the best. The mold is pretty good and it's to scale with the rest of my DC figures. The only real issue I have is the cape could have been better. There's a pic of it somewhere in my Action Figure Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
              what WOULDNT you reccommend about the 1st Appearance one? thats the one im kinda leaning towards. the kicker for me is that cloth cape. I try to avoid those if i have to.
              the isse with that figure is that it is not Alan as he is, its alan as he WAS in the first 34 issues in the Golden Age. Its like comparing the Super/BAt EVS Hal to the Classic Hal Figs
              My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

This is the one I have. Although its not the best detail out there, its detail, scale and posability/articulation is right on par with the GL/BN lines. And it has a plastic cape that you want, too.

Comment

Originally posted by GL2873 View Post
                  This is the one I have. Although its not the best detail out there, its detail, scale and posability/articulation is right on par with the GL/BN lines. And it has a plastic cape that you want, too.

this is the one Dave is talking about and is your best bet at the moment.
                  My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Thats the one i thought he was talking about. I will probably wind up getting it. But whats the deal with the 1st appearances one? no one seems to have any feedback on that one. other that the cloth cape, i dont see anything negative about it. Im probably going to get the Ross one for another display I have going. Idk, its just something about that one ( up there ^ ) that makes me, idk, "semi-cringe". maybe it just needs to grow one me. my LCS has the 1st appearance and the Ross one and i have been ogling them for a while. that might be it. If any of you have some comparison pics that would be a great help. I have tracked down one of the ones you guys suggested online, MOC, for about $19.99, so i might be getting that one pretty soon, but if any of you have some comparison pics of the Scott figs with each other or with the rest of the GL line, please share them. thanks

Comment

Are you gonna keep him in the packaging? If not, I'd get him loose for at least half the price. Unless the $19.99 covers shipping as well.
                      The FA Alan is OK, but because he's based on 1940s artwork, he looks....well....dated and blocky. I own 3 of them, and display none, I did'nt like the cloth cape and the figure is stocky and looks almost out of scale. I'm not saying it ain't nice, just that I like the first one much better!
                      As for the Ross JSA one......well he's huge! Totally out of scale, I have to display him in the back of my Modern JSA section so he does'nt stand out so much!

Talon

LOD

Comment

As for the Ross JSA one......well he's huge! Totally out of scale, I have to display him in the back of my Modern JSA section so he does'nt stand out so much!
                        I used to display my Ross Hal with the rest of the DCD GL line (pre-BN), and I actually liked the extra height; I thought the series 1 GL Hal was shrimpy. I caved and now display the 4-fig boxed set Hal with the line, because I like his improved face. I now use Ross Hal and Ross Armored Hal as bookends for 1-6 Archives ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by GL2873 View Post
                          I used to display my Ross Hal with the rest of the DCD GL line (pre-BN), and I actually liked the extra height; I thought the series 1 GL Hal was shrimpy. I caved and now display the 4-fig boxed set Hal with the line, because I like his improved face. I now use Ross Hal and Ross Armored Hal as bookends for 1-6 Archives ;-)
                          But what about Alan?

Talon

LOD

Comment

It's not that there's anything WRONG with the 1st app Alan fig. I have it and I like it. But I collect EVERYTHING Alan related. For me it's cool because it's a little different. But if I were YOU and this was going to be the only Alan figure I was going to own for a display, I'd avoid it.

For one, the cape is cloth, and it doesn't come off very well. It's too thick, which is a common problem when you have two materials that are on something that small. The neck piece is clunky, and the figure has a very cartoony sculpt. It's good in that it does look a lot like Alan's AAC #16 debut, but do you really want THAT appearance for your display? Wouldn't you rather have something that looks like a good representation of Alan as he's been depicted the most often?

Alan's look has changed over the years, he's had tight shirts, chest symbols that looked like Hal's (mostly out of artist laziness), and yellow stripes on his boots that have changed. The Figure on the post that GL2873 was cool enough to put up for you shows a classic Alan at his best. The shirt is baggy, the boots are done right, the articulation is from when DCD was getting the right amount on a figure, the t crotch articulation is perfect. His head is pretty much perfect. Even the chest symbol is a miniaturized version of the T shirt that Graffiti designs did years ago (which was perfect). Some people don't like the cape but I do. His lantern is dead on too. Best of all he's pretty much in scale with most of the better DCD figures. Like I said, the only flaw is that his ring is on the wrong finger, and even that only diehards are going to notice (it's at least on the correct hand).

Now go buy. Chop chop!

Comment

Great minds Dave, great minds.....

Talon

LOD

Comment

Working...
                              X