The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Default Is this a prototype for GLAS Hal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-...item27c63a91bc

I was on Ebay today and came across this. It can't be a JLU figure because that whole holiday special debocile,plus look at his arms,No Justice League figure had ball articulation.

This caught me be suprise because I have been hearing that due to a lack of Sucess on behalf of the movie line that Mattel Refused to do a animated GL line.

Did they maybe have a change of heart and this is a prototype for the upcoming line? Or is it a prototype for a figure that they were going to do before they made the decision no more Green Lantern? Or maybe is it just a fake.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Sure looks like it. Interesting...
Muthasucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

most likely is a prototype

i remember back in the day they would do the same with star wars figures and certain lines and they usually are from china

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Right, but the point is Mattel has said they never planned on making toys from the show, so either they sis at one point and scrapped the idea, or they changed their minds and are going forward. Most likely the former since they just canceled the YJ, BtB&B, and JLU lines and seem to be shying away from animated figures.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/f...tes_145131.asp

My new guess is that this Hal will be a Matty Toy Collector exclusive. Wich means I will refuse to buy it.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

From my experience, the guys at Matty are idiots and assholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
threehgame
Alan's Drycleaner

Send a message via AIM to threehgame

On other toy collecting forums Mattel has flat out said there were no plans to release a GLA series of toys and no GL figures were planed for 2012. If the show does well maybe 2013 would be a good year for GL fans. Shortly after saying this Hal and Atroticus prototypes showed up on eBay. Mattel still swore they were not real but collectors have them in hand. Sounds like they planned a whole series of figures and when the movie toys bombed retailers said no.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I have not seen the Atroticus prototype. What you are saying makes sense though.

Mattel only has it's self to blame with the lack of sucess with both the Green Lantern figure lines. There were some highlights like the Power Battery blaster,but most of the line was a let down. The distribution was a freaking joke too.

And the Classics line probably would have done better if they would have picked more popular characters to make.

Mattel always puts out statments saying they have learned from past mistakes,yet they never do.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Their biggest missed opportunity, aside from not making 6" Lantern leaders in DCUC and GLC, was not using the 4" line to spearhead a new highly articulated line to compete with Hasbro. They clearly had a lot of budget for all the movie toys, the sculpts were great, the constructs were great, but the artic sucked balls. If they had done even 12-14 POA, collectors would have gobbled these up and they could have used the line to expand into a DCU-wide line. But they insisted on doing 5 POA POS's and then flooded the market with them hoping the movie would be a hit and the toys would sell.

They made the same mistake with the Young Justice 4" line. JLU was great while it lasted, but it had already died at retail, forced out by the better value of MU figs. Instead of retreading both JLU and GL lines, both of which failed, they should have taken the budget and gone for more artic. Again, collectors and kids both would have bitten.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
GLJIMT

I keep hoping Matty will get its head out of its ass, and they keep disappointing me....
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I am not huge on points of articulation. I prefer more accessories or bigger figures. Some ofmy most played with figures as a child had verry few.

I don't think the goal should be to compete with Hasbro's Marvel line, I think it should just be putting out quality toys at a fair price. I collected the movie line but for what they were they were over priced.

I want more Green Lantern toys. But I want the good stuff,and If I don't get if from them then DCD is more then willing to give me Great looking GL figures that I can buy half price at comic conventions.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Shadow_Contact
Corpse Trainee

GLAS Kilowog

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-...item2a1cd93aaa

Shadow_Contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

You may not be big on articulation, but I'd wager that most consumers are. If you see a YJ fig next to an MU fig, it's pretty embarrassing that they're the same price. Maybe if the YJ fig was $5, but honestly for $10 it's worth the better playability for most kids and collectors. And the proof is in the pudding - MU, SW and GIJoe are going strong and YJ was cancelled after 6 months. And I'm sure the same problem is what doomed Infinite Heroes - that and the sculpts and details and accessories were terrible.

Honesty, I don't see why competing with Hasbro in this area ISN'T a priority for them.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthasucka View Post
You may not be big on articulation, but I'd wager that most consumers are. If you see a YJ fig next to an MU fig, it's pretty embarrassing that they're the same price. Maybe if the YJ fig was $5, but honestly for $10 it's worth the better playability for most kids and collectors. And the proof is in the pudding - MU, SW and GIJoe are going strong and YJ was cancelled after 6 months. And I'm sure the same problem is what doomed Infinite Heroes - that and the sculpts and details and accessories were terrible.
My kids couldn't care less about articulation. I know I didn't care when I was a kid. Collectors like it, because they like to pose their figs. Most kids I've seen play with figs don't waste time posing them other than to a.) point a gun or other weapon, or b.) put hands over their head to "fly". Neither of those require great articulation.

The problem is, with the prices they put on figs these days, kids don't even seem to be the primary target market. I think prices are absurd, personally. With prices the way they are, it is possible that those BUYING the figs (adult collectors or parents, since a lot of kids won't be able to afford to buy many for themselves) like the articulation because it makes the fig LOOK more expensive, so the prices seem less absurd. But all that hyper-articulation doesn't really seem, from what I've seen, to make the figs any more FUN for the kids. (And in extreme cases it seems, to me at least, to make them look UGLY.)

The only time lack of articulation bugs me is when the figs come "pre-posed" in some way, so the articulation can't actually be USED because they have permanently bent elbows or knees that only look sensible in one configuration.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-03-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
My kids couldn't care less about articulation. I know I didn't care when I was a kid. Collectors like it, because they like to pose their figs. Most kids I've seen play with figs don't waste time posing them other than to a.) point a gun or other weapon, or b.) put hands over their head to "fly". Neither of those require great articulation.

The problem is, with the prices they put on figs these days, kids don't even seem to be the primary target market. I think prices are absurd, personally. With prices the way they are, it is possible that those BUYING the figs (adult collectors or parents, since a lot of kids won't be able to afford to buy many for themselves) like the articulation because it makes the fig LOOK more expensive, so the prices seem less absurd. But all that hyper-articulation doesn't really seem, from what I've seen, to make the figs any more FUN for the kids. (And in extreme cases it seems, to me at least, to make them look UGLY.)

The only time lack of articulation bugs me is when the figs come "pre-posed" in some way, so the articulation can't actually be USED because they have permanently bent elbows or knees that only look sensible in one configuration.
^
Took the words from my mouth. Kids are not huge on articulation,they like action features,or so the market research has told them. But that can change, as hasbro found out with The SW AOTC line. I think the problem is size and Price and quality. Seriously why pay 10 bucks for a Mattel YJ figure whan you can get one the same size and Quality with a Happy meal and it has a action feature.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
The problem is, with the prices they put on figs these days, kids don't even seem to be the primary target market.
Most action figures are now considered "collectibles" and marketed towards adults with ridiculous prices in tow. When DC Universe Classics were first released, they were $9.99 each, but now they start at $15.99 at Target. At TRU, they start at $17.99 sometimes go as high as $19.99. There's no child that could afford to pay those steep prices.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
Most action figures are now considered "collectibles" and marketed towards adults with ridiculous prices in tow. When DC Universe Classics were first released, they were $9.99 each, but now they start at $15.99 at Target. At TRU, they start at $17.99 sometimes go as high as $19.99. There's no child that could afford to pay those steep prices.
And I think that's a real shame. I fondly remember saving up allowance to buy Star Wars figures when I was young. (It helped that my parents were extra nice, and would buy up the ones I wanted when we saw them, and just keep them until I earned them.) I couldn't REMOTELY afford to pay MY kids enough allowance to get anything LIKE the collection of figures I managed to amass, these days. It seems to me that if they forget the "kids" part of the equation, they are dooming themselves down the line, when the current nostalgic adults are out of the market, and today's kids have no nostalgia for figs they didn't have because they couldn't afford them.

I don't really BLAME companies for going after the collectors' market. Adults have more money than kids, after all, and its all about making money. But I still think its kind of a shame when the resources, desires, and priorities of adult collectors become THE guiding force in the design and marketing of something that, ideally, is supposed to be a child's plaything, with the kids market being kind of an afterthought.

I'm seeing it happen with licensed LEGO sets now, too. More and more it seems like they release gigantic, super expensive sets targeted at adult fans, while all the smaller, more affordable sets kind of disappear (or have a bunch on minifigs added as justification for jacking the prices so they're still small, but now less affordable).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-04-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Despite the higher prices, NO retail line can survive off adult collectors alone. Direct market, sure - they have smaller production runs and usually charge more. But anything you see at a big box retailer needs casual buyers to turn a profit, and that includes DCUC and Marvel Legends. Even though they're marketed as "adult collector," they rely on "moms and kids" to buy enough to make it viable.

And it can't be the popularity of the characters, because a) the market share difference between Marvel and DC comics is about 3% - a nominal amount (and the average age of a comics reader is 35 anyway), b) DC has had popular cartoons on the air continuously for the last 20 years, starting with BTAS, while Marvel's offerings have been sporadic with mixed success in the same time frame, and c) DC had a long-running live action show for a decade in Smallville, while Marvel had nothing. Marvel has put out more movies in the last decade, but DC has had a few hits of its own, so at most that might even out the other stuff.

So why has every 4" DC line that Mattel has put out failed, while Hasbro is still going strong with all of its 4" offerings, not just with Marvel, but with Star Wars and G.I. Joe? Obviously no one can know for sure, but just looking at the figures, the obvious explanation is articulation and value. Maybe they get more collectors for those lines and maybe that makes the difference? DC's offerings get split so DCUC is more collector driven and the 4" stuff is more kid-driven? Still, and all-kid line should still be able to be viable at retail. Kids don't like them for some reason, and articulation and value may just be the reason. At any rate, after continuously failing by repeating the same formula, they should at least try something different instead of just giving up, especially when they're just watching as their competitors keep cleaning up.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthasucka View Post
Despite the higher prices, NO retail line can survive off adult collectors alone. Direct market, sure - they have smaller production runs and usually charge more. But anything you see at a big box retailer needs casual buyers to turn a profit, and that includes DCUC and Marvel Legends. Even though they're marketed as "adult collector," they rely on "moms and kids" to buy enough to make it viable.
And yet most of the big box retailers I visit don't have SQUAT from Marvel OR DC when it comes to figures, and the ones they DO have warm pegs. Granted, I don't go to TRU, where the selection is FAR more varied.

Maybe you're right, maybe there are a bunch of kids out there that care whether their figures' wrists can turn, and if they can touch their toes. My experience could well be atypical. But I really don't think the KIDS care all that much.

G.I. Joe and Star Wars sell buckets because those are popular licenses that have been around FOREVER and pretty much DEFINED "action figure" for a few generations. Star Wars sold a ton when I was a kid and they had 5 points of articulation MAX (sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the character). And that was alongside G.I. Joes that, even then, had more points of articulation.

I don't have access to sales figures, but judging by what I see on actual retailer shelves (outside TRU) Marvel figs can't be selling much better than DC ones in those venues.

I think you may be right that the extra articulation creates a SENSE of "extra value" in the eyes of the adults that are looking at the outrageous prices, but I doubt it is the real priority, in the sense that I kind of doubt the average parent or kid would be willing to pay MORE for the extra articulation. I daresay that if the figs with LESS articulation were priced significantly lower, they'd look more attractive to parents (or even kids who might then be able to afford them themselves), and the articulation would not be missed much. But that doesn't seem to happen. It seems like licensed figures of the same scale cost about the same no matter how elaborate they are.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-05-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Muthasucka
Parallax Host

Star Wars figs were popular because they were from Star Wars. G.I. Joes became popular in roughly the same time period with much less media support, because they had a ton of articulation and accessories. And in the last decade, SW artic has vastly improved.

I don't have sales figures either, but what I do know is that MU have been in production for years now, while DCIH, GL and now YJ have all failed. JLU lasted for a while, but that was before MU showed up. And now it's gone.

As far as kids go, it may break down by age. My 4-year-old doesn't care about artic, but when I was 10-13 I definitely cared. That was the age I switched from SW to G.I.Joe. And if I had to choose between a Batman with 5 POA and a Spider-man with 20, I'd have taken the Spidey.

For the record, I don't think it matters that much at the 6" level. I doubt most casual buyers value the few extra POA of ML over that of DCUC, as a lot of hardcore collectors do. But at the 4" $10 range, I really think artic and accessories make a difference.