The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 08-31-2019, 12:59 PM   #3526
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The climax will be a showdown at high moon.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:19 AM   #3527
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Zing!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #3528
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Jeff! How are ya?!?

Big Daddy! I'm hanging in there, how's you?
Old 09-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #3529
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Not bad. Living the dream. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #3530
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Not bad. Living the dream. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #3531
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Are you guys ok with me discussing the 2 47 meters down movies? Don't want to spoil it for someone who's waiting to see them.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #3532
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Are you guys ok with me discussing the 2 47 meters down movies? Don't want to spoil it for someone who's waiting to see them.
Go ahead.

I want to support the second one because Stallone's kid is in it, but I dunno... PG-13 shark movies like these and "The Meg"... eh, I just dunno.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #3533
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Go ahead.

I want to support the second one because Stallone's kid is in it, but I dunno... PG-13 shark movies like these and "The Meg"... eh, I just dunno.

In regards to the 2nd one, I didn't view the "best quality" copy of it.....nor did I see it in a theater....so, with that said, the copy I saw was basically a screen of black with people using flashlights underwater like lightsabers. If I have the opportunity to view it in better quality, I probably will because the underwater light show gets damn confusing.

But that's besides the point I want to make, which I shall do in another post.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-05-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:01 AM   #3534
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Thumbs down

Ok, so 2 things to say about the 47 Meters Down movies:

The first one tricked me and I didnt even realize it until after I saw the movie and read up on it on wiki. Basic premise is this: 2 sisters go down in a steel cage to view great whites, but the cage is all rusted and the line snaps. They have to wait out a rescue before the air in their tanks runs out. Towards the last 3rd of the movie, the captain of the boat sends down 2 new tanks and warns them of nitrogen narcosis. As the viewer, you see both of the sisters put on their new tanks, and the movie continues forward. At this point, I knew a hallucination scene was gonna happen, but it was sly....so the two girls make it to the top to the boat, but one gets taken out by a white pointer, and suddenly we are back underwater being stuck in the cage. The coast guard eventually arrives and saves the sister trapped in the cage, and as they bubble up towards the top, I'm thinking the other sister joined the party. Then I read the wiki: she died offscreen when she hallucinated.

You got me. Hehe

On the second movie, I have a major major point of contention at the ending: these 2 sisters survive and make it to the top only to see a boat, which is chumming for whites to show off to the tourists. Well, both girls make it to the boat and both are individually attacked by the whites as they are trying to board the boat. My problem: the 2 whites that attacked them used the "air jaws" trick, which you've probably seen on the discovery channel a million times. There is NO WAY those girls could have survived that impact coming from below. It's simply not possible. When a white sees the prey from the ocean bottom, it builds up enough momentum to rupture the entire inner frame of a seal or sea lion. It's dead before the shark even begins to eat it. So I call BS on the ending since the girls are shown to get on the boat and be saved.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #3535
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...On the second movie, I have a major major point of contention at the ending: these 2 sisters survive and make it to the top only to see a boat, which is chumming for whites to show off to the tourists. Well, both girls make it to the boat and both are individually attacked by the whites as they are trying to board the boat. My problem: the 2 whites that attacked them used the "air jaws" trick, which you've probably seen on the discovery channel a million times. There is NO WAY those girls could have survived that impact coming from below. It's simply not possible. When a white sees the prey from the ocean bottom, it builds up enough momentum to rupture the entire inner frame of a seal or sea lion. It's dead before the shark even begins to eat it. So I call BS on the ending since the girls are shown to get on the boat and be saved.
I haven't seen #2, but I heard the sharks were blind, so didn't they not see their prey at all?
Chris Stuckman did a review of it and said it was so laughably bad that he actually enjoyed it as a joke. He also pointed out that the divers keep speaking to each other underwater as if they have mics, but their mouths are uncovered.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #3536
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I haven't seen #2, but I heard the sharks were blind, so didn't they not see their prey at all?
Chris Stuckman did a review of it and said it was so laughably bad that he actually enjoyed it as a joke. He also pointed out that the divers keep speaking to each other underwater as if they have mics, but their mouths are uncovered.

In the 2nd movie, they switched things up by making the locale a submerged Mayan temple or city of sorts. The shark (or sharks) in the temple were blind, having a solid white lens over the eye, which I suppose came from evolution of being trapped in the city and never having seen light. When the 2 sisters escape the temple, they make it back to clear water and emerge to see the tourist boat that is chumming for the great whites at the surface. They get caught in the chum line as they swim to the boat, which prompts the sharks to attack them. The surface sharks have normal eyesight.

As for the speaking underwater, I wasn't paying much attention to the gear the 4 girls put on, but I just assumed they all broadcasted on a same wave frequency of sorts. I'll have to revisit that as well.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-06-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #3537
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The fake ending to the first one was better than the real ending. All of that tension, excitement, and amazing character development thrown away for a fucking hallucination.

Didn't know there was a sequel but I'm not touching it. I heard how bad Deep Blue Sea 2 was and won't touch that either.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #3538
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...When the 2 sisters escape the temple, they make it back to clear water and emerge to see the tourist boat that is chumming for the great whites at the surface. They get caught in the chum line as they swim to the boat, which prompts the sharks to attack them. The surface sharks have normal eyesight...
Got it, thanks. I'm sure there are other flaws too, but that one grabbed you. I had a similar experience with Overlord. I couldn't get past the historical inaccuracy of showing the US Airborne as fully integrated in 1944 and since that's from the beginning, it just blew the movie (though maybe that could've been overcome by a better movie).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
...Didn't know there was a sequel but I'm not touching it. I heard how bad Deep Blue Sea 2 was and won't touch that either.
Yeah, I haven't touched DB2 and I probably would only watch that or this sequel if it were on Instant Netflix. My standards for what's worth a watch streaming are way lower, especially since I tend to do so while doing other things (e.g., exercising or eating lunch).
Old 09-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #3539
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Didn't know there was a sequel but I'm not touching it. I heard how bad Deep Blue Sea 2 was and won't touch that either.

Out of some misplaced sense of duty, I watched DBS2. Your instincts are right on. It was just plain awful. Don't even know why they bothered. In comparison, the 47 Meters Down sequel was much better, though, IMHO. Worth a gander if you have absolutely nothing better to do on some lazy afternoon.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-06-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #3540
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

"It: Chapter Two" box office results

Very nice!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #3541
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Since yesterday was Friday the 13th, on a lobby TV while running an order down I caught Fox News covering the day with a quick series of clips from the original film, including Christie's death (late in the film) and cutting back to the anchors right before the first two victims get theirs.

Was nice to see the old flick again, if only for a brief minute. It also reminded me that I own very few of the films.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 PM   #3542
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Deleted scenes of Event Horizon were in a Transylvania salt mine. However, they were in such poor condition, they were unusable.

Here are a few choice comments/replies from the reddit thread where I caught this link:

"Is there a reason cut scenes were in a salt mine? In fkn Transylvania?"

"So someone took the footage out and had a little look." / "Hopefully he was traumatized for life for ruining that footage" / "He clawed his eyes out last week. Said he didn't need them anymore" / "Like, I don't need my dick to write a work e-mail, but I'm not going to cut it off because of that."

"I thought it was a sci fi film when I saw it and it kinda made the movie so much more fun for me. Like actually made it scary because you didn't see it coming. My (now ex) wife at the time didn't share my enthusiasm." / "Me too. Expected space adventure, got space horror. It was awesome" / "I wasn't expecting anything, my dad just took me to see a movie one day. I was 10."

"When I was 15 I went to the theatre to see face/off. But I wasn't allowed in because I wasn't 16 yet. But the poster for EH looked cool, so went to see that one instead. All ages were allowed, I literally saw parents running out of the room with their children. Absolutely ridiculous how that movie didn't get a rating."

"I wonder how much Satan charged them for location fees."

"One of the best ‘genre literate’ characters in horror. The ship was basically a haunted house in space, complete with lightning flashes and weird creaky noises. Captain gets one look at the rape-blood-orgy ship’s log, goes “We’re leaving” all level, his face never changes and when Sam Neill’s scientist character is all like “We can’t leave!” Captain turns around and says, “We aren’t ‘leaving’. We’re going back to our ship, taking it to safe distance and blowing this ship up with every missile we have. FUCK this ship.” Best horror ‘leader’ character ever."

"Yeah it was a major production but a box-office disappointment. Since the video release a lot of people have come to realize that it's just a good film. It's got a good story, great acting and good special effects.

It's failure at the box office was probably a marketing issue, it opened against Cop Land (which came in #1 at the box office that weekend), The Full Monty, and Steel (the superhero movie starring Shaquille O'Neal, it was truly terrible). It was still competing against (and lost to) Air Force One and Conspiracy Theory though, both decent films and multi-week hits."
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #3543
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So my one boss saw Rob Zombie's 3 From Hell last night and they had these promo posters, only 50 per theater. Only 17 people came to the showing so he grabbed half a dozen and plans to get Haig and Trejo to sign his at Monster Con in Cherry Hill.

He offered me one and now I own a collector's item.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 AM   #3544
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqY...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #3545
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Good luck getting Sid Haig to sign it. I don't think he's long for this world.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #3546
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Yeah, my boss just told me Haig isn't making the con this time, so that's one that won't be happening anytime soon. If we're lucky Haig doesn't die but from what my boss said, he is in horrible condition right now.

Those posters even without signatures can sell for upwards of $300 on eBay, apparently.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #3547
Space Cop
The Dandy

I've gone to like 1/3 of Monster Manias and met Haig (who was cool). Never met Trejo and I really want to. I'm not even aware of him going to one I missed.

When I got Haig's sig it was for Devil's Rejects. Now that I've gotten way more into grindhouse films, I'd love to have chatted him up on the Filipino movies and Pam Grier. There's been a couple of those instances . . . where I got someone's sigs and then became a bigger fan of something else they did.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #3548
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ravens-estate/
Old 09-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #3549
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Phantasm II (1988)

"Phantasm? Sounds like something Dan Aykroyd would say." (my dad, not a film quote)

So it's been seven (IRL = nine) years since Mike, Jody, and Reggie the Badass Ice Cream Vendor fought the fourteen-foot-tall The Tall Man, played by Angus Scrimm in the second-greatest role of his life. Mike is hearing voices in his head and uses them to home in on Scrimm like a corpse-seeking missile, while Reggie picks up a hitchhiking floozie.

As fascinating and creepy as Scrimm is, I seriously think Reggie is the real star of these films. Dude invents a quad-barrel shotgun, for fuck's sake, and gets into a chainsaw duel, on top of adding in the secret that allows for such a cool kill of the villain. I mean, his only downside is his poor taste in women. The priest was also kind of a good character.

My dad barely managed to sit through this, even though he seemed to enjoy some parts. The sphere kills made him roll his eyes, but I think he was slightly amused by the melting death of Scrimm and the twist ending.

Well, I guess it's on to the third one at some point.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #3550
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Phantasm II (1988) ... As fascinating and creepy as Scrimm is, I seriously think Reggie is the real star of these films. . .
Reggie really becomes the through line for the series and is a bit of a cult star, at least in the b horror fandom.

I've never met him, though I did see Scrimm in person before he passed.

Actually, I literally "ran into" him at a con because he turned a corner kind of blind and ran into my wheelchair. He apologized, but it was only a skim (maybe we didn't even connect; I don't remember).