The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 09-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I LOVE the idea of Green Lantern having a big storyline with the New Gods (about time!) but I'm concerned that with all the "Big Concepts," Hal is going to get swallowed up in it and he'll be relegated to bystander/strawman to get knocked down again. I feel like it's been a long time since anyone wrote a story *about* Hal.

I think Johns's last story *about* Hal as really "Secret Origins" and after that, it was just one "big concept" after another and while he made sure to give Hal a moment to shine in those, it was perfunctory. (i.e. this is the part where we need to wrap it up so Hal swoops in and wins because he has the most willpower)
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #52
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Even SO wasn't about Hal. It was more about Atrocitus, Black Hand, and Sinestro. Just set up for events, rather than focusing on the title character.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #53
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

The shit that's being published now pales in comparison.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #54
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Man, I could REALLY go for a story about Hal! It's been a dog's age. Doing one in his own book? Sounds like we're asking for too much, but it would buy some brownie points with me.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #55
IonFan
Forum Member

am i the only one that thinks the art of this so called "event" seen in the previews sucks balls?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #56
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

We haven't had a Hal-centric story since...pre-SCW.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #57
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Judging by the way Hal is being written, would that be a good thing?

Still, it would be nice to have a short story featuring Hal as opposed to another fate-of-the-Universe arc spread across several months and 8 different titles.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #58
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Nope! You'll take what sells and like it!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #59
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

That scene bugged me, partly because it isn't a fair comparison. Sinestro "tamed" Parallax knowing full well what he was attempting. Hal had Parallax sicced on him secretly by Sinestro, and so had no idea what he was dealing with. Plus, I feel like Sinestro's ability to control Parallax says more about his nature than his ability. One cannot, I would think, control a fear entity very well if one is not the type of person to happily use fear as a tool, no matter how strong one's will is. I have a hard time buying that Sinestro would do equally well mastering, say, the Compassion entity...
Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #60
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Johns would never do such a thing
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #61
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

At least Johns wouldn't have Hal sit there, emotionally broken, deflated and defeated AND THEN allow Sinestro and his corps to leave freely. That's what bugged me most about that panel. At the very least, Hal would have called in reinforcements.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #62
Mister Ed

I don't care to argue over who would and wouldn't do such a thing. It seems beside the point. I don't object to it because of who wrote it...
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #63
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Well, it's not really about who wrote it, but Hal's actions, or lack thereof. I was simply responding to chosen's above post. I still profess that Hal's actions are out of character, but again, I get that this is Sinestro's title, so he should best Hal in some shape or form to keep things interesting.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #64
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

as in any comic, the character whose book it is can always be written to be able to conquer any foe. In the Atom's book he can beat the Flash, in Elongated Man's book he can defeat Superman. This was Sinestro's book so he came out on top. I had no problem when John beat Hal in Mosaic, because that was John's book. Hal beat Guy in Green Lantern but might not in Guy Gardner or Warrior. Would you expect Hal to punk out Kyle in New Guardians? Bruce beats Azrael in Batman but in Azrael's book, no wait we are talking about Bruce here,in DC he always wins, lol. The writers of Sinestro are not charged with advancing Hal's character, just making their main character look good, so that people keep buying that book, if that means jobbing out (wrestling term) Hal to do it, then so be it.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #65
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
as in any comic, the character whose book it is can always be written to be able to conquer any foe. In the Atom's book he can beat the Flash, in Elongated Man's book he can defeat Superman. This was Sinestro's book so he came out on top. I had no problem when John beat Hal in Mosaic, because that was John's book. Hal beat Guy in Green Lantern but might not in Guy Gardner or Warrior. Would you expect Hal to punk out Kyle in New Guardians? Bruce beats Azrael in Batman but in Azrael's book, no wait we are talking about Bruce here,in DC he always wins, lol. The writers of Sinestro are not charged with advancing Hal's character, just making their main character look good, so that people keep buying that book, if that means jobbing out (wrestling term) Hal to do it, then so be it.
Very well said.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #66
Mister Ed

The problem isn't so much Hal losing, it is Hal acting so defeated, like he accepting the twaddle Sinestro was spouting about his superiority. Sinestro isn't going to lose in his own book (at least not a major loss), I get that. But it is uncharacteristic for Hal to take a defeat so meekly.

Plus I just felt like Sinestro's speech about his superiority was a load of crap, and I didn't like that it seemed like Hal was buying it...
Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #67
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
The problem isn't so much Hal losing, it is Hal acting so defeated, like he accepting the twaddle Sinestro was spouting about his superiority. . .
This. He could've been defeated without being so dejected.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #68
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Sinestro is the greatest Lantern in history since 2004. Don't like it? Speak with your wallet.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #69
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Yet so many people that don't like the product, still continue to buy it. Sigh completist.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #70
Mister Ed

Well, in my case it is more like the things I don't like about it are outweighed by the things I still enjoy. I'm not a fan of Mary Sue-nestro, this is true, and there WAS a period where that was being pushed hard enough (along with the EEEEEVIL Guardians portrayal), that I seriously considered dropping the books, but I find that now those aspects have taken on a rather minor role. Sinestro is a non-entity outside his own book, and there, with this single exception, there has not been a big focus on how he is the awesomest ever, better than any GL that ever existed. And while it is still in continuity that the Guardians were apparently evil bastards for pretty much their whole existence, they have been killed and replaced by Guardians that are not.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #71
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Well, in my case it is more like the things I don't like about it are outweighed by the things I still enjoy. I'm not a fan of Mary Sue-nestro, this is true, and there WAS a period where that was being pushed hard enough (along with the EEEEEVIL Guardians portrayal), that I seriously considered dropping the books, but I find that now those aspects have taken on a rather minor role. . .
That's me too. I am one of those weird creatures called a completist when it come to GL and right now there are many aspect of GL I don't like. But, frankly, I still enjoy reading it. It's not a chore for me to finish the comic. I'm interested to see how the story will go, what construct Hal will use, etc.

But, yes, I would still buy it even if I didn't like it. I compare it to people who are fans of a TV show. Not every episode is as good. Do you skip the episodes you don't like as much? If you follow a sport, do you quit when your team is losing?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #72
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
And while it is still in continuity that the Guardians were apparently evil bastards for pretty much their whole existence, they have been killed and replaced by Guardians that are not.
So, the Guardians that were locked up to guard the First Lantern are the New Guardians? I haven't read that title, so I don't know what's transpired. Last I remember, they went off on some space mission with Kyle, then I dropped the book.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #73
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
So, the Guardians that were locked up to guard the First Lantern are the New Guardians? I haven't read that title, so I don't know what's transpired. Last I remember, they went off on some space mission with Kyle, then I dropped the book.
Still off in space with Kyle, yeah. So I guess they aren't specifically functioning as Guardians in the sense of running the Corps right now, but they are clearly "the Guardians" inasmuch as anybody can be said to be.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #74
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Sinestro is the greatest Lantern in history since 2004. Don't like it? Speak with your wallet.
and i have, after he kicked the @$$es of the big bad in the 1st story arc with little to no effort i was done with it (what's the point if everything comes easy ), H@LL HE KICKED HAL'S @$$ WITH NO EFFORT AT ALL

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #75
Chrome Lantern
Corps Recruit

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Still off in space with Kyle, yeah. So I guess they aren't specifically functioning as Guardians in the sense of running the Corps right now, but they are clearly "the Guardians" inasmuch as anybody can be said to be.
To be fair, that is when that book stopped being any good. I long for the day of a spectrum book with one of each colour. Kyle can lead the team as a white. It could be like the Corps book with more than just green splash pages.