The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #8601
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Sherlock Holmes: The Pearl of Death (1944)

"Oh tosh, I'm not afraid of guards and gongs!"

A valuable pearl is targeted by ruthless thieves, who manage to conceal the jewel. Murders and destruction follow as the heroes attempt to unravel the pearl's location.

Pretty entertaining, and I loved the set for the museum (the security system shuttering the doors and windows was a neat surprise).

But the whole "we can't hold him for more than 2 days because NO EVIDENCE!" idea was outright stupid: an entire crowd watches him steal a 50k-pound-valued pearl and flee the scene, the cops know who he is and what he's wanted for even without hard evidence of previous crimes, and all they do is hold him for 48 hours for breaking a window?! Fucking lousy writing just to have the villain hurry the plot along).

It was nice to see Evelyn Ankers again, and afraid of another murderous beast, no less. The inclusion of the Oxton Creeper as a hitman for the main villain was a great move, dude was big and ominous without saying a word, very menacing...up until he decided to slowly shuffle towards a loaded gun. Seriously? Seriously.

Overall a good entry despite the ludicrous plot conveniences (including how the fuck Ankers knew where the pearl was hidden to begin with, that shit was brilliant but then swiftly and easily undermined with zero explanation).
Old 08-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #8602
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hard Target (1993)

"Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear!"

R.I.P. Wilford Brimley.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM   #8603
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I loved watching that as a kid. The scene where VD rescues the female lead and lays those dudes out (including the one guy across the car front), Lance Henrikson and that insane hand cannon of his, the henchman and his shotgun, just such a good film.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM   #8604
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Howling (1981)

"We get 'em all: sun-worshippers, moon-worshippers, Satanists. The Manson family used to hang around and shoplift. Bunch of deadbeats!"

My full-moon werewolf pick this month. Seen this one a lot, but was in the mood for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I loved watching that as a kid. The scene where VD rescues the female lead and lays those dudes out (including the one guy across the car front), Lance Henrikson and that insane hand cannon of his, the henchman and his shotgun, just such a good film.
It has a lot of the John Woo signatures in it too---doves flying; freeze frames; slow-mo; and diving gunfights.

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote