Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    I’d be curious which covers everyone picked and what your LCS’ selection was like.
    mine had the Kyle one, the all green one, Guy, Hal with F-16's (i think) and the JS and Hal

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I’d be curious which covers everyone picked and what your LCS’ selection was like.

I was there when my.local shop was checking their order in, and it looked like they ordered 2 copies of each of the 10 covers for 20 copies. It doesn't sound like many copies, but this is a town of only 20,000 people yet we have 3 comic stores somehow.

Comment

• My store said they got shorted on some of the covers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
          I still have two Nicola Scott covers on the shelf over here, but shipping from Germany to the USA is probably too expensive.
          Yeah, that's a nice thought, but I'm sure it would be more than I'm willing to spend, especially if I couldn't even be bothered to drop by a different shop to look for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            The 50s cover? Huh, interesting choice.
            Yeah, I guess I just like the retro look.

Comment

• I picked up 9 of the 10. My LCS held copies of all of the variants for me. I just need the Sharp cover to complete the set. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for the 2 Adams Crusty Bunker exclusive variants due to the price.
              Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                I picked up 9 of the 10. My LCS held copies of all of the variants for me. I just need the Sharp cover to complete the set. I'm not sure if I'm going to go for the 2 Adams Crusty Bunker exclusive variants due to the price.
                Looks like you win the prize for most devoted here. There was a time I would've done that for a standard-price GL book, but that would be too much for just covers for me at this point.

Comment

Looks like you win the prize for most devoted here. There was a time I would've done that for a standard-price GL book, but that would be too much for just covers for me at this point.
                  I'm only a casual variant cover collector, but if there was ever a GL book worthy of dropping $100 on the variants, it's this one. One could make the argument that it's the perfect GL book in that it has something for fans of every distinct era.
                  Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                    I'm only a casual variant cover collector, but if there was ever a GL book worthy of dropping $100 on the variants, it's this one. One could make the argument that it's the perfect GL book in that it has something for fans of every distinct era.
                    I was quite pleased with it. The idea for the Hal story (the final message thing) was good. I didn’t really dislike any of them.

Comment

• Was it just me, or did future Kyle age a lot less well than future John or Hal? If the text didn't make it clear, I would have wondered who that other guy was with Hal and John...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        Was it just me, or did future Kyle age a lot less well than future John or Hal? If the text didn't make it clear, I would have wondered who that other guy was with Hal and John...
                        I got emotional, to the point of being a little misty-eyed, at the end of "Four."

Comment

• Arrghh! Bring back the future of the Vuldarian Guy!

I _hate_ these kind of "retirement" stories. Do you really think any of the Earth GLs are going to "retire" for 10, 20 years as in the story "Four"? Even Alan Scott (before the DC You reboot) was in his 70s or so as JSA's Green Lantern!

Comment

• Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                            Arrghh! Bring back the future of the Vuldarian Guy!

I _hate_ these kind of "retirement" stories. Do you really think any of the Earth GLs are going to "retire" for 10, 20 years as in the story "Four"? Even Alan Scott (before the DC You reboot) was in his 70s or so as JSA's Green Lantern!
                            Are all soldiers lifers or do most eventually get old, tired of fighting, and decide that they want to spend time with their grandkids? I think the 2nd scenario is more likely.

Comment

• I can’t see Guy or Hal retiring, as both seem to mostly identify themselves with their hero work, though in different ways. John and Kyle? Both of them have been shown, at times, to place significant value on the non-hero aspects of their lives. I can certainly picture either of them retiring someday, especially if they feel good about those that will be continuing the fight in their place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                                I can’t see Guy or Hal retiring, as both seem to mostly identify themselves with their hero work, though in different ways. John and Kyle? Both of them have been shown, at times, to place significant value on the non-hero aspects of their lives. I can certainly picture either of them retiring someday, especially if they feel good about those that will be continuing the fight in their place.
                                Hal was ready to walk away from the GLC (or more specifically, the GotU) at the start of Volume 5. I can imagine certain circumstances, mainly his place with Ferris and Carol solidifying, where he might give up the ring. He'd have to be pretty old, too. I can't even imagine a 50-year-old Hal not wanting to be in the thick of things.

As for "Four", I'm in total agreement with Venditti's use of Guy. Out of the four titular Lanterns, Guy is the most likely to die early. Venditti pointed out that Guy was always ready to take a beating if it meant achieving the overarching goal. Even if he did retire at some point, he would have certainly shaved years off of his life due to his combat style.

Comment

Working...
                                X