Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give up.

Comment

This is almost as bad as IonFan's denial of reality.
      The last fan of 1990s comics
      Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Had Darryl Banks drawn a panel yet with some kid taking a whiz in an alley and being handed a power ring for no reason? Nope, that was to come. But the whole GL mythos was junked AND KEPT GONE FOR TEN YEARS for a supposedly younger and hipper GL. And yep, that was Kyle, and yep, he's been a special snowflake ever since that day.

Kyle is guilty as charged on all counts. Case closed.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

You clearly missed Geoff Johns' run, where they continuously knocked Kyle down and took away everything "special" about him.

And the GL mythos most certainly was not junked, nor "kept gone". Its history was left alone and constantly referenced...until Johns came along and completely altered it.
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

When you see what I'm writing for Kyle, you'll support me to write his comic.

And Mosaic too.

Comment

I'm all for fanfiction but if you just retcon everything you're no better than Johns.
              SocializingMogo
              Corps Honor Guard
              Last edited by SocializingMogo; 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Well I see no way of bringing Mosaic back without either retconning things back to that time period, telling stories set in that time period, writing a story called Mosaic, but with a different premise, or writing a very foolish story.

What would one do? reform Oa, and somehow have a bunch of cities put there AGAIN, and somehow have John Stewart be the one to look after them AGAIN, and have him a shattered soul AGAIN?
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

I think Spy-Smasher once wrote that he'd redo the whole GL universe before Mosaic ended and using a ET story based on Jones script.
                  But then again, wasn't Kyle conceived by Marz? Jones would have created a completely different new Green Lantern character.

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                    I think Spy-Smasher once wrote that he'd redo the whole GL universe before Mosaic ended and using a ET story based on Jones script.
                    But then again, wasn't Kyle conceived by Marz? Jones would have created a completely different new Green Lantern character.
                    The GLC is going to be busy relocating the inhabitants of a certain planet whose star is being pulled into a black hole, and the Old Timer will take advantage of that diversion of power to move a lot of cities from around the universe to Oa. Hal and John will be called to investigate.

RE Jones and his "completely different character." So?

Comment

It's a reboot but no going back to Abin Sur It's just that nothing is in continuity unless I say it is. If you see Kyle, then figure that something like his origin story happened.

Comment

I think rebooting gl at this point within the context of the DC comics universe would create a massive mess. Better to work with the established continuity. However, for something out of continuity, anything can be done easily enough.
                        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                          I think rebooting gl at this point within the context of the DC comics universe would create a massive mess. Better to work with the established continuity. However, for something out of continuity, anything can be done easily enough.
                          It's simple. The numbering starts back at #1. Some stuff will be retold but most stuff won't be.

Comics fans focus on backstory because they're given no frontstory to focus on. They're just given "arcs." That's the problem. Give them stories and they'll focus on them.

Comment

Well, I think in some cases fans focus on backstory (or at least specific areas of backstory) because they LIKE them, and feel like they are being wiped away or altered beyond all recognition. I'd agree that, if the stories they are getting don't specifically touch on or contradict the backstory they like, they aren't likely to worry too much about it. Once the "frontstory" starts contradicting "backstory" they like, then focus will be drawn to the backstory indirectly.

Of course, one person's "don't you dare touch this" is another person's "good riddance" in some cases, complicating matters.

Comment

What I'm talking about here is a reboot that doesn't start from scratch with the frontstory. The correct way to tell frontstories is to let the backstory emerge slowly and naturally while you tell them. Apply backstory with an eyedropper, not a firehose, don't focus on it and don't keep repeating it. And don't lock yourself into too much stuff that might straitjacket you later.

If you need to retell something fast and in a short space, then you can use a prologue, as I did in my issue of Emerald Flame.

Geoff Johns obliterated everything that Gerard Jones wrote just by ignoring it and retconning it. It would be very easy to change Green Lantern much more cleanly, methodically and plainly with an actual reboot.
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-03-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Just read the Christmas issue, #9. Was one of the better ones, and had some pretty decent philosophical religious discussion inside. Kinda impressive for something from a big publisher. I dunno if I've seen anything remotely comparable in New 52. When looked at in this light, the newer comics are really dumbed down.

Comment

Working...
                                X