X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antman and the Wasp 2018

[to Pym; referring to the Wasp suit]
    Scott Lang: Hold on, you gave her wings?!
    [referring to the Wasp suit]
    Dr. Hank Pym: Wings and blasters.
    Scott Lang: So I take it you didn’t have that tech available for me.
    Dr. Hank Pym: No, I did.

The lighter side of the MCU, but it still kicks tons of butt. Plus I think they make a beautiful couple. Effects were right on par with the first movie, and there are some hilarious scenes involving whale watches and truth serum. It was also nice to see Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeifer together. In a mid end-credits scene, you see how this fits right in to Avengers Endgame.

Comment

• It (2017)

"Ain't nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble."

Re-watched with the fam in anticipation of going to part 2.

Dot and the Kangaroo (1977)

"Kangaroo must have her freedom."

I wanted to see this following a discussion here with Mr. Ed in regards to movies that you loved as a kid, but don't stand up. And I'd have to admit this falls in that category except for the oddity of animation on top of live-action backgrounds and the range of Australian animals. But, it's clearly meant for kids and not so much all-ages.

Glass (2019)

"Now, who wants a PB and J sandwich?"

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Antman and the Wasp 2018...The lighter side of the MCU, but it still kicks tons of butt. . .
      I like those movies and Black Panther more than the Avengers movies themselves, but I guess it's just a certain kind of minority preference.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 09-13-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• I am at the drive in right now waiting for the movies to start. IT Chapter 1 AND chapter 2 double feature baby!

Comment

• Most Likely to Die (2015)

"Why do I bother to pay a shrink; I've got you guys."

By-the-numbers slasher at a high school reunion, but I did like the killer's outfit and how it can be used as a weapon.

Transformers: The Movie (1986)

"Nobody calls Soundwave uncrassimatic!"

Watched this as part of prep for Retro Con this weekend.

Do or Die (1991)

"I can't get over it; I shot a duck."

Probably one of the more fun Sidaris sequels in the Donna series. The premise is that a criminal king pin is annoyed at the success of federal agents Donna and Nicole and decides for sporting reasons to put them in a Deadly-Game-like game where they're pitted against six two-man assassin teams (which seem to be all mentally deficient). Erik Estrada returns to the team, but now on the force of good as an about-to-retire AF Colonel assigned to protect them. The best bit is that the criminal mastermind (Kane) is played by Pat Morita of all people and there's a running gag of him sleeping with his personal assistant/masseuse.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          I am at the drive in right now waiting for the movies to start. IT Chapter 1 AND chapter 2 double feature baby!
          Very cool. I haven't been to a drive-in since I was a toddler, but I found one like two hours away that does old movies and marathons and hope to hit it next summer.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 09-13-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Finally saw BUMBLEBEE and gotta say it was pretty good. Not overly wowing, but better than most of the Bay Transformers films. The OG designs were great to see, but really all it did was make me want a hyper realistic CG animated movie centering on the whole war on Cybertron. We only get maybe 5-10 minutes of that stuff, but it's hands down the best 5-10 minutes of the whole "live action" franchise to date. On a side note, Cliffjumper just can't catch a break, can he?
            Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985)

"In Korea, door handles do not break."

A New York cop is seemingly killed only to secretly be recruited into a group that takes out otherwise-untouchable threats to America.

Many years ago, I caught part of this on TV as a kid and had no idea what it was (I caught the "suicide to prevent exposure" scene and part of the Statue of Liberty scene). I wondered what film it was and recently managed to find it on Netflix, and my dad said earlier it's also been many years since he's watched it.

For an adventure flick it really isn't that bad. It keeps things fairly practical (aside from all the radar scanning in the finale, I thought that was actually kind of overdone), the characters are a little generic (Chiun was both amusing, impressively-skilled, and infuriating; Fred Ward's title character was a NY everyman), but at the same time the stunts were fairly good and the "adventure" really was a decent one. The all-knowing database was also a little overdone but expected.

Perhaps a little long (2h1m) but a decent way to pass the time. My dad hated the synth music though.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                Finally saw BUMBLEBEE and gotta say it was pretty good. Not overly wowing, but better than most of the Bay Transformers films. The OG designs were great to see, but really all it did was make me want a hyper realistic CG animated movie centering on the whole war on Cybertron. We only get maybe 5-10 minutes of that stuff, but it's hands down the best 5-10 minutes of the whole "live action" franchise to date. On a side note, Cliffjumper just can't catch a break, can he?

After being burned by TLK, I was very hesitant to see the Bee movie. I eventually caved. You are right on track; opening scene on Cybertron was absolutely the best moment of all the live action movies, BUT....there were still shades of Bay all over the place. I mean, Blitzwing? Seriously? That was just wrong. I'm ticked that the studio keeps going back and forth between "prequel to Bay movies" and "start of a whole new universe".....dammit, make up your mind because you're wasting my time, Paramount!

Comment

• My review of It: Chapter Two.

https://herecast.us/profile/2232/983339

Comment

• The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)

"So, who the hell did you f*** to get this job?
                    -Myself; was easier than it looked.
                    Yeah, f***king yourself always is."

Avoided this because I wasn't expecting much from the remake, but it was better than I expected (not great).

The King of Comedy (1982)

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Scorcese's box-office failure. I wanted to see it because they're saying it really inspired parts of the Joker. A dark comedy and De Niro's character was mostly annoying to me, but it was a good movie and Sandra Bernhard (who I'm not particularly a fan of) was great here.

[Rifftrax:] No Retreat, No Surrender (1985/2015)

"Seattle, now a division of amazon.com."
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 09-14-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop
                      The King of Comedy (1982)

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Scorcese's box-office failure. I wanted to see it because they're saying it really inspired parts of the Joker. A dark comedy and De Niro's character was mostly annoying to me, but it was a good movie and Sandra Bernhard (who I'm not particularly a fan of) was great here.
                      Great film. Alongside After Hours, proves that Scorsese could do "black comedy" with the best of them.

I could see why it didn't do well at the time, it's about miserable bad characters doing miserable bad things. I believe it's failure was in part because it was originally supposed to be released in 1981, but the company that made it, went bankrupt, or something.

Comment

• Plague of Zombies (1966)

"I find all kinds of witchcraft slightly nauseating and this I find absolutely disgusting."

Got this Hammer horror from Netflix and then remembered I had seen it, but it was worth the re-watch. Revolves around a mystery of Cornish Voodoo.

And two that turned 20 on Tuesday (9/10):

Stir of Echoes (1999)

"It doesn't surprise me that there's another woman. Of course, the fact that she's dead gives one pause."

Fight Club (1999)

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                        ...I could see why it didn't do well at the time, it's about miserable bad characters doing miserable bad things. I believe it's failure was in part because it was originally supposed to be released in 1981, but the company that made it, went bankrupt, or something.
                        Yep. I only really got into it when I let go of trying to identify or sympathize with the main characters. At that point, I could see the satire and the critique of celebrity culture that could lead to stalking and other dangerous obsessions.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 09-14-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Yep. I only really got into it when I let go of trying to identify or sympathize with the main characters. At that point, I could see the satire and the critique of celebrity culture that could lead to stalking and other dangerous obsessions.
                          Yeah. It's great look at obsession, and Rupert Pumpkin is such a fascinating figure to follow too. One of those "I wanna be famous", mama boys! It's also one of those movies you appreciate more and more on rewatch as well.

Comment

• The Polka King (2017)

"Mr. Lewan, do you know why I'm here?
                            -No, but I so happy to have you because we never get black person here, except UPS lady."

Netflix movie based on a real-life Polka band leader who started a Ponzi scheme and was eventually convicted. It presents it in a way that he had great intentions (like to pay his band) but caught up in stupidity and a cycle of lies. Good watch. I'm not particularly a Jack Black fan, but I also don't hate him and once in a while a role of his stands out like this.

Fury of the Wolfman (1972)

"You have to promise to act like a real man."

A Paul Naschy werewolf flick for the full moon. And for the date:

Friday the 13th: Part 2 (1981)

"What's brown and sits on a piano?"
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 09-19-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Just realized you saw Plague of the Zombies, Space Cop. Damn good film.

Dr. Seuss's The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953)

"I don't think the piano is my instrument."

A young boy being forced to learn piano by a horrible teacher falls asleep (again) and dreams he is trapped in a bizarre world of terrible music. Story, sets, and music by Seuss himself.

I caught this thing playing on the TV in the dementia ward, and saw the channel icon pop up so I later checked their schedule and voila, this gem was discovered. My dad had never heard of it either.

The main character, Bart (Tommy Rettig), is a reluctant student of a prestigious piano teacher, Dr. Terwilliker (Hans Conried, who gave me the impression of Peter Cushing). Bart's mother (Mary Healy) disapproves of the plumber (Peter Lind Hayes) telling Bart that Dr. T is running a music racket and is a fraud. Rettig has a bad habit of nodding of, and when he does so a second time, he imagines being trapped in the Terwilliker Institute, where Dr. T is a power-crazed maniac who wants 100 boys to play his best song on a gigantic piano.

I can't even begin to describe this film. The set is like an Escher drawing, the songs come in every variety, there are dance fights, there are real-life twin roller skaters with a conjoined beard, there's a dungeon for non-piano players (which has an AMAZING musical performance), there are separate piano instruction books for both the left and right hands, and more. My dad thought the film was totally mental, and I agree, but holy shit was this a sight to behold. Hans Conried was the best performance in the film, absolutely hilarious, and it's a shame the producer Stanley Kramer reshot the beginning, because "Dr. T. was not Bart's personal piano teacher, he was simply the author of a musical instruction book. In that version, Bart doodles on the picture of Dr. T on the front of the book, which then comes to life and pulls him into a dream world. Hans Conried was vehemently opposed to the new scene, feeling Kramer was robbing the story of some of its fantasy element by making Dr. T. a real-world character." (IMDB)

Also, this hysterical bit of trivia: According to Dr. Seuss, the film's creator and co-writer, one of the 150 boys vomited on the piano while filming. This caused a chain reaction and they were left with 150 vomiting boys. Dr. Seuss said that the film's reviews were similar.

Oh, and the dungeon's second floor has a jewelry department.

Highly recommend.
                              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Sunset Song (2015)

"Her heart would beat in this land."

Watched it because it's a Scottish period piece, but so depressing.

Looker (1981)

"Hi. I'm Cindy. I'm the perfect female type: 18-25. I'm here to sell for you."

A Michael Chrichton-written and directed thriller where LA plastic surgeon Albert Finney investigates the fact that patients of his are mysteriously dying and happen to work for a state-of-the-art company that is digitally storing and recreating their images. Interesting prediction of some things that are common now.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                                Just realized you saw Plague of the Zombies, Space Cop. Damn good film. . .
                                Yep. Can't believe I forgot it, but that was probably because I watched it on TCM (with my mother) or something and therefore didn't have the record on Netflix. I realized it like a minute in and was certain within three minutes, but figured it was good enough to re-watch before returning.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X