No announcement yet.

The definitive anti-Hal post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hal resonates with me a bit because of the Air Force thing (I'm an USAF vet) and I like that he's a character that for the most part has his entire history intact warts and all; and its pretty epic. It's like he's been through almost everything imaginable, that deep legacy makes it more interesting to me. I read enough characters kind of stuck in their own moroseness, I think Hal is refreshing and inspiring in the way nothing seems to phase him, he kind of just rolls with the punches without being overly flippant or comical, he just kind of takes things in stride like a modern day cowboy. I like the idea that he has this indomitable willpower and lack of fear, I think there are a lot of real life lessons we can pull from that outlook that anything can be accomplished with enough determination and willingness to overcome personal hang ups and fears. And Hal is a normal guy, which makes him more inspiring to me than say Superman, and I love weird crazy sci-fi so I can see more story potential with GL than say Batman. Other than Swamp Thing he is certainly my favorite DC character, and it's not just power related.
    BLACK HAND
    Green Lantern Initiate
    Last edited by BLACK HAND; 11-15-2018, 06:06 PM.
    http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
      ...I think Hal is refreshing and inspiring in the way nothing seems to phase him, he kind of just rolls with the punches without being overly flippant or comical, he just kind of takes things in stride like a modern day cowboy. I like the idea that he has this indomitable willpower and lack of fear...
      That's like exactly Morrison's pitch for the current book. He calls Hal the unreconstructed hero, which is just that kind of John Wayne, Charles Bronson character we rarely get anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        That's like exactly Morrison's pitch for the current book. He calls Hal the unreconstructed hero, which is just that kind of John Wayne, Charles Bronson character we rarely get anymore.
        I love that take on him, and that Hal might be a little culturally insensitive as he leads lives on several worlds and isn't exactly hip to what's going on at any particular place. Earth is boring to him at this point, but at least he can crash with a different friend to change things up once in a while. I kind of love that aspect of Hal where he seems comfortable where-ever he is, a true adventurer, explorer, and nomad.
        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
          I love that take on him, and that Hal might be a little culturally insensitive as he leads lives on several worlds and isn't exactly hip to what's going on at any particular place. Earth is boring to him at this point, but at least he can crash with a different friend to change things up once in a while. I kind of love that aspect of Hal where he seems comfortable where-ever he is, a true adventurer, explorer, and nomad.
          I found that enjoyable as well, in the older books. Hal kind of drifting around into different adventures with rotating supporting casts. He hasn't done that in eons and is just starting to do it again now.

Comment

I'm always entertained by seeing topics that unfolded prior to my membership here on the GLCMB. I was too busy working the late 90s/early 2000s, so I missed most of the Hal vs Kyle debates. Most of what I see on MBs now is either Hal (mostly longtime comic readers) vs. John (fans of the JL/JLU show) or young fans who connect with Jessica over the more established protagonists.
            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

We need Hal more now then ever. We do need some one with the balls to play him to the hilt though. there is a big push to girly up masculine properties. I guess that's okay. but dudes need something to read to. Conan,James bond,Captain Kirk,Hal Jordan need to be allowed to be who they are.

If I was writing the book I would address this now and then.Could you imagine some purple haired SJW preaching tolerance to a guy who has had sex with space aliens.
              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

^Well, Morrison did call Hal the unreconstructed male. He seems to be keeping that aspect.

Comment

^Well, Morrison did call Hal the unreconstructed male. He seems to be keeping that aspect.
                  That's about the only thing he kept of note. He needs to go back and read Geoff Johns' early run and snap out of the good old days. Hal has come a long way since the bloody 60s comics!
                  Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

That annual felt a little woke to me.
                    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
                    X